Jump to content

Browns pull plug on Kizer, Hogan to start


AFJF
 Share

Recommended Posts

One of the many things that can happen when you start a guy who isn’t ready.  

Kizer is better than Hack at this point, but still not good enough to put points on the board.

 

Edited by AFJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hogan is actually a decent prospect/player. Wanted him back when he came out. May not develop into a big time starter but he does just about everything well. From that perspective I hated the Browns first round picks of a crappy qb in kizer and the dynamo without a position in Jabril. Browns being browns

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I hope Macc has realized from this season and watching teams like the Browns vs. say the Texans or the Eagles is that at some point you have to take a chance and draft a QB early.  I know there's plenty of examples to cite of these guys panning out but taking these 2nd, 3rd, 4th rd. projects are such a crap shoot.  When you have a chance to take a guy with real potential even if he may have his flaws take him and hope it works out.  If you don't you just end up in constant rebuilding mode.  The Browns passed on both Wentz and Watson for what?  To acquire more picks and continue to draft 2nd and 3rd rd QB's.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not a good look for Hue Jackson, who had originally declared he was all in on Kizer this season. I think he's feeling the pressure. Unless they win a few games he might be out... It's almost difficult to go 1-20 in your first 21 games with a team.

Agree its not a great look, but it's mostly because of the "all in" statement. At least he isn't afraid to make a change to try to gain better offensive play/performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stark said:

Agree its not a great look, but it's mostly because of the "all in" statement. At least he isn't afraid to make a change to try to gain better offensive play/performance.

Sometimes Rookies needs to be benched, he looked up and down to me, but better then I thought he'd be. It's the NFL QB's get a 1000 chances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Agree its not a great look, but it's mostly because of the "all in" statement. At least he isn't afraid to make a change to try to gain better offensive play/performance.

In theory I agree, but given the utter futility of that team backing on a rookie QB after 5 games shows a lack of confidence and conviction (understandably so.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like we'd be reading the same headline last season if Hack had been handed the keys... Kizer could still end up the starter in a couple years... Sometimes it's just not the best idea to feed them to the wolves right off the bat.

Side note, why aren't there more pro teams named after wolves? Feels like a strong animal. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kizer has played like Hack would have played, which is not good.

This is another example of a coach on the rocks.  One could argue that he should leave Kizer in, let him learn, ensure the tank, and then get a top QB next year.

Hogan wins a few games and its the Giants who get Darnold.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well at least the Browns are trying a variety of their young prospect QBs.  Kessler, Kizer and now Hogan are getting significant time the last two years.  I've always thought a guy has to show soemthing good early, he does not have to be perfect but he has to show some really good attributes.  Meanwhile the Jets play Fitz and McCown.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Sometimes Rookies needs to be benched, he looked up and down to me, but better then I thought he'd be. It's the NFL QB's get a 1000 chances.

I’m still confused on how anyone saw anything out of him and those 9 interceptions. I mean qbs who get drafted are Gona make throws from time to time but that doesn’t mean you are Gona succeed. Looked like hot garbage to me 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Well at least the Browns are trying a variety of their young prospect QBs.  Kessler, Kizer and now Hogan are getting significant time the last two years.  I've always thought a guy has to show soemthing good early, he does not have to be perfect but he has to show some really good attributes.  Meanwhile the Jets play Fitz and McCown.

Oh dear god not this again. You don’t just throw in overdrafted qbs like hackenberg into the fire. Kizer and his 9 interceptions are an example, you think that “time” was worth it or the kids confidence conpalelty shot? I say the latter. As for petty we saw him get “time” last year and he looked like he was confused it wasn’t a Friday night high school game. McCown is playing well and sure that annoys the tank crowd but you play to win the game and Bowles is doing his job, giving the Jets and the players in the trenches what they want, the best chance to win! 

  • Thumb Down 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Oh dear god not this again. You don’t just throw in overdrafted qbs like hackenberg into the fire. Kizer and his 9 interceptions are an example, you think that “time” was worth it or the kids confidence conpalelty shot? I say the latter. As for petty we saw him get “time” last year and he looked like he was confused it wasn’t a Friday night high school game. McCown is playing well and sure that annoys the tank crowd but you play to win the game and Bowles is doing his job, giving the Jets and the players in the trenches what they want, the best chance to win! 

I will say the same thing to you.  Oh dear god not this again with the 'you will wreck his confidence!  bs

If a guy comes in and plays and if pulled it destroys his confidence you don't want him and he is not a franchise QB.

At some point you must play a Qb and he will be a rookie and no one expects a rookie to be great, but he has to show some key things.

You also have to look at who the competition for the young or rookie QB.  Is it a really good youngish vet who is keeping the new kid on the bench or is it a mid 30's vet jag QB.

I'll say this, it is far worse on a QBs confidence when you keep him on the bench when you have a suspect bet than it is if you toss him out there.

Hack know the team has no confidence at all in him, he was #4 last year, he is #3 this year.

Bowles is doing his job (though i still think he stinks as a coach).  He, as he should be trying to win games.  Long range big picture its not in the best interest of the team.

This time next year the team will still have zero clue whether Petty or Hack can play at all.  Cleveland will know if a couple of their young guys can play or if they need to move on.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Hogan is actually a decent prospect/player. Wanted him back when he came out. May not develop into a big time starter but he does just about everything well. From that perspective I hated the Browns first round picks of a crappy qb in kizer and the dynamo without a position in Jabril. Browns being browns

Actually Kizer was a second round pick and Myles Garrett was their other first rounder with Jabril Peppers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Perfect example of why you don't start the young guy when he isn't the best at his position and you haven't been eliminated from the playoffs 

Makes you look stupid 

Huh? Kizer is still the most talented QB on the roster. He shouldn’t have started the season, but if you’re going to start him, you start him all 16 games. Hogan has a ceiling of career backup. It’s not going to get better. Jackson is coaching for his job, but his mismanagement of the QB position is going to cost him. Especially since the playcalling and play design is absolutely atrocious. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Huh? Kizer is still the most talented QB on the roster. He shouldn’t have started the season, but if you’re going to start him, you start him all 16 games. Hogan has a ceiling of career backup. It’s not going to get better. Jackson is coaching for his job, but his mismanagement of the QB position is going to cost him. Especially since the playcalling and play design is absolutely atrocious. 

The smart way to handle it is play the better player 

This isn't complicated 

If you go 2-9 and get eliminated, throw the kid in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...