is it time to talk extension

RESNewYork

for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles. I believe they are both signed till the end of the 2018 season.

Every thread is tank vs winning but personally, I wanted the team to do enough this season to get an extension for both. Whatever that win total was. I think it's very important for the Jets success to have continuity. Feel it would be a big mistake for the youth to grow, make their mistakes this season, gain the experience, and then ask them to learn a new system next season. 

I am not delusional in thinking this is a talented roster, but there is young talent with potential. With a treasure trove of cap space, and an extra 2nd rounder, Mac can add additional young talent. Mac has also purged the roster of the Idzik/Ryan players who probably didn't fit the culture Bowles and Mac were trying to create.

Plenty of Bowles haters but 1 thing he has proven is he can win games with sub par QB play. Also feel like it may have been difficult to change the culture in the locker room after taking over for the ultimate player's coach in Rex Ryan. Saying Rex ran a loose ship is an understatement. He's a good coach. Feel he is only going to ascend and I doubt there is going to be a coach available that is better.

End the carousel. Extend them. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RESNewYork said:

Probably cheated starting this thread now because there may not be a lot of wins left this season.  How come "not yet" for Bowles?

If you extend him and the team quits on him again down the stretch like they did last year, it's not a great way to roll in to next season.  

31 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles. I believe they are both signed till the end of the 2018 season.

Every thread is tank vs winning but personally, I wanted the team to do enough this season to get an extension for both. Whatever that win total was. I think it's very important for the Jets success to have continuity. Feel it would be a big mistake for the youth to grow, make their mistakes this season, gain the experience, and then ask them to learn a new system next season. 

I am not delusional in thinking this is a talented roster, but there is young talent with potential. With a treasure trove of cap space, and an extra 2nd rounder, Mac can add additional young talent. Mac has also purged the roster of the Idzik/Ryan players who probably didn't fit the culture Bowles and Mac were trying to create.

Plenty of Bowles haters but 1 thing he has proven is he can win games with sub par QB play. Also feel like it may have been difficult to change the culture in the locker room after taking over for the ultimate player's coach in Rex Ryan. Saying Rex ran a loose ship is an understatement. He's a good coach. Feel he is only going to ascend and I doubt there is going to be a coach available that is better.

I thought this was a McCown thread....  I almost threw up. 

Wait until after this season at least. I am dead set against giving either one an extension at this time. Lets wait and see how the season plays out. Bowles has made mistakes and so has Macc. Bowles lost this locker room last season and yeah all the malcontents are gone but lets see what happens when they lose a few in a row and if he can hold it together. If he does that and they don't give up on the season I would think about giving Bowles an extension.

26 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Stop bogarting whatever you're smoking because I want some too. Extend? Why? Particularly with next season under contract still. Those two both need to show some tangible results first, and that doesn't mean beating bad teams over a short run or hitting on high draft picks. This platinum trophy for no reason sh*t is for losers and how bad organizations are ran. Think about the Mo Wilk extension, particularly it's value. It was a knee jerk irrational decision based on fear. Extending Mac and Bowles at this point would be no different.  

How real is the idea that a team quits on their coach. Isn't it just tied to winning and losing? 2015, Jets have a winning record, no talk of quitting. 2016 the Jets have a putrid season, the team quit on Bowles. 2017, Jets are 3-2 and no talk of the team quitting on their coach

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Stop bogarting whatever you're smoking because I want some too. Extend? Why? Particularly with next season under contract still. Those two both need to show some tangible results first, and that doesn't mean beating bad teams over a short run or hitting on high draft picks. This platinum trophy for no reason sh*t is for losers and how bad organizations are ran. Think about the Mo Wilk extension, particularly it's value. It was a knee jerk irrational decision based on fear. Extending Mac and Bowles at this point would be no different.  

Isnt the final year of the contract the lame duck year. 

Don't smoke. If I did, would share. Relax with the I had to be high to post what I did

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Nah, screw that.

I say hold out until we can get 2 #1 picks! Plus a player who's like, really, really good.

Really, really good is a bit much to ask.  Perhaps a player who is pretty, pretty good.

7 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

How real is the idea that a team quits on their coach. Isn't it just tied to winning and losing? 2015, Jets have a winning record, no talk of quitting. 2016 the Jets have a putrid season, the team quit on Bowles. 2017, Jets are 3-2 and no talk of the team quitting on their coach

Why does a losing season equate to a losing season? Of course no one likes to lose and the NFL in the long run requires a qb to be successful , and we're stuck with mcclown , so Bowles lost the team before the season started if that's the case.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Really, really good is a bit much to ask.  Perhaps a player who is pretty, pretty good.

How about we also throw in Kevin Greene? Now, that is a talented coach at a premium coaching position. Totally worth a player who is really, really good.

7 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Isnt the final year of the contract the lame duck year. 

Don't smoke. If I did, would share. Relax with the I had to be high to post what I did

The lame duck year stuff is overblown. People are under contract and are expected to perform. If players stop doing their job or respecting the coach or gm those players need to go as they are not professionals and you don't find those guys often on great teams. Also, its the first half of the year. What happens when you extend them now and potentially 4 weeks later the team falls apart? There isn't a staff cap so there is no need to lock them up cheap either.

9 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Simple, he has no idea how to see what young qbs can do in a real game. He would rather win five games this year. 

Exactly man ! Been said to play petty or hack instead of mcclown , if the kids win great we found our qb , lose it's still great we draft really high , but Bubba wants to win 6 games and **** the team and fans , only downside to Bowles .

1 minute ago, Maddog45 said:

Why does a losing season equate to a losing season? Of course no one likes to lose and the NFL in the long run requires a qb to be successful , and we're stuck with mcclown , so Bowles lost the team before the season started if that's the case.

He lost the team before the season started? Because McCown is the starter?

What I'm tying to say is when fans, media, say things like the coach lost the team, the coaches didn't make adjustments, the players quit, etc, when they lose. It feels like a lazy excuse. 

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

He lost the team before the season started? Because McCown is the starter?

What I'm tying to say is when fans, media, say things like the coach lost the team, the coaches didn't make adjustments, the players quit, etc, when they lose. It feels like a lazy excuse. 

No , that's for the people who equate a losing season to a coach losing a team . If that's the case the season was lost before the first game.

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The lame duck year stuff is overblown. People are under contract and are expected to perform. If players stop doing their job or respecting the coach or gm those players need to go as they are not professionals and you don't find those guys often on great teams. Also, its the first half of the year. What happens when you extend them now and potentially 4 weeks later the team falls apart? There isn't a staff cap so there is no need to lock them up cheap either.

Agree but this is all you ever hear. Lame duck year. It's what every team with every head coach contract does. 

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Coach is on the hot seat. Isn't it his job to win ball games? 

Yes, but it's also his job to develop talent. I guess it depends on the owner and the organizational goals handed down. When I hit the first 4 billion dollar powerball lottery and buy the Jets any coach that wins a couple meaningless games by playing retread vets at the expense of developing the young talent will get fired, but that's just me.  

10 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

Exactly man ! Been said to play petty or hack instead of mcclown , if the kids win great we found our qb , lose it's still great we draft really high , but Bubba wants to win 6 games and **** the team and fans , only downside to Bowles .

I know this has been discussed to no end on here but isn't the job of every coach is to put the best 11 on the field and try and win every game. Why should Bowles be different?

I had no expectations for the season, I just wanted the team to show enough to keep Bowles and Mac. Whatever that number is. Just confident in what we have in place, like the new assistant coaches, and don't believe there is something better available at the end of the season. Tired of the carousel, and want the youth to develop with this staff

9 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Agree but this is all you ever hear. Lame duck year. It's what every team with every head coach contract does. 

What do we have to lose by waiting???  Playoffs?  hell....  we're not even close to the playoffs , so I say let them ride out and make a decision after the season.  So tired of the limp HC we have....

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

This is actually a perfect opportunity to fire them. 

Archived