is it time to talk extension

RESNewYork

9 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yes, but it's also his job to develop talent. I guess it depends on the owner and the organizational goals handed down. When I hit the first 4 billion dollar powerball lottery and buy the Jets any coach that wins a couple meaningless games by playing retread vets at the expense of developing the young talent will get fired, but that's just me.  

A coaches job is simply to win games. You alluded to it but if the owner, or the owners brother, wants to intervene and have a convo about playing kids and developing talent that is fine. But otherwise any coach is going to going to try and win as many games as possible, end of story.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Both should be gone after this season. One of the least talented rosters in football and even less talented at the positions that matter most. And no young talent there to develop either. 

And the coach? What’s he better at now than he was when he started?

They will both be back. But if the coach had the least talented roster and started off 3 and 2, I don't see why you would automatically fire that guy. That is an indictment of Macc.

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This. Bowles is a dunce and Maccagnan might be the worst GM in the league. Not sure what keeping them around to go 6-10 next year does for us.

I am quoting this so it can be easily bumped after next season when the Jets win the Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins.

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bowles is having a better year than Macc right now.

Bowles did the sales job of the year getting these new coaches to come here. I don't think either of them should be extended right now. I believe (and have been saying this all offseason) that they will both be back next year.

But there is no way you can extend Macc when the year 3 QB depth chart has those three names on it.

I wouldn’t extend either one right now, but if I had to pick one it’d be Mac.

We know Bowles lost the team last season when things fell apart, I’d like to see if it happens again, although less likely with kids still playing to prove themselves.

The Jets are playing better than expected because the players Mac acquired are better than people thought they’d be.

Also, didn’t the OC search take forever because he kept getting turned down?  Serious question b/c I forget, but it feels like the OC search took over a month.  He was bound to eventually convince somebody to take it.

I agree though, they’re both back next season.

2 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

We should be talking about extensions for:

ASJ

Wesley Johnson

Morris Claiborne 

Terrence Brooks

Kony Ealy 

Dakota Dozier

and a couple of others. Irks me that the FO will probably wait forever to work on getting any of them signed.

100% Agree on ASJ, draft a better center and let Johnson go or be a backup, let's see if Claiborne can stay healthy for a full season and then sign a deal with "percentage of snaps played" incentives, wait and see if Brooks cools off, 100% agree on Ealy and Dozier.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, we need to trade for two coaches who specialize in the safety position.

and another safety.

Who speclizies in getting safeties. Also..probably would do good to get one who took safety classes and has past work in the cross Walking field. 

Just some more genius thoughts.

15 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles. I believe they are both signed till the end of the 2018 season.

Every thread is tank vs winning but personally, I wanted the team to do enough this season to get an extension for both. Whatever that win total was. I think it's very important for the Jets success to have continuity. Feel it would be a big mistake for the youth to grow, make their mistakes this season, gain the experience, and then ask them to learn a new system next season. 

I am not delusional in thinking this is a talented roster, but there is young talent with potential. With a treasure trove of cap space, and an extra 2nd rounder, Mac can add additional young talent. Mac has also purged the roster of the Idzik/Ryan players who probably didn't fit the culture Bowles and Mac were trying to create.

Plenty of Bowles haters but 1 thing he has proven is he can win games with sub par QB play. Also feel like it may have been difficult to change the culture in the locker room after taking over for the ultimate player's coach in Rex Ryan. Saying Rex ran a loose ship is an understatement. He's a good coach. Feel he is only going to ascend and I doubt there is going to be a coach available that is better.

End the carousel. Extend them. 

AHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHWHAHSHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHADUMBESTF&$*#INGFANBASEWALKINGTHEEARTHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAUAUAUA

15 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

How real is the idea that a team quits on their coach. Isn't it just tied to winning and losing? 2015, Jets have a winning record, no talk of quitting. 2016 the Jets have a putrid season, the team quit on Bowles. 2017, Jets are 3-2 and no talk of the team quitting on their coach

we may noy win 5 and we probably will noy get a shot at the top QBs.  I call tha a rousing failure.  Until I see otherwise, I do not extend

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

I wouldn’t extend either one right now, but if I had to pick one it’d be Mac.

We know Bowles lost the team last season when things fell apart, I’d like to see if it happens again, although less likely with kids still playing to prove themselves.

The Jets are playing better than expected because the players Mac acquired are better than people thought they’d be.

Also, didn’t the OC search take forever because he kept getting turned down?  Serious question b/c I forget, but it feels like the OC search took over a month.  He was bound to eventually convince somebody to take it.

I agree though, they’re both back next season.

Lol on the players being better. You don't have to pick one.

So we are on the same page. They will both be back but neither has earned anything at this point. So more data is needed.

24 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Led a team with a terrible roster to several unexpected wins. 

Is the roster really terrible ? How would this team fair with a real QB ? Sure McCown is playing okay but hes not a top ten guy by any stretch. We have a young, fast, talented defense that is still learning yet playing exciting football they were fantastic at the goal line last week basically winning us that game. The offense is learning a new system with what amounts to a lot of young players as well. Macc has quietly built a more talented team than any of us expected and he did it with out his hand chosen scouts for the first year. The castoffs he claimed this off-season are contributing and he has 80 mil to spend in cap space next year and he certainly does not have to go bat sh*t crazy with that money I would much rather see him spend a little to plug some holes and save some for the following year when this team really starts to show its true colors of which are still very much in question.

Think how good we will be looking if this team really is more talented then we thought with all that money to spend and a decent number of draft picks to boot !!!

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I too am a fan of rewarding those who do not deserve it and look incompetent when it matters most. 

agree ... Bowles may have these guys playing some good football but he still scares the hell out of me when it comes to making the tough decisions in game management and half time adjustments. It was nice to see him try to score more points at the half last week. If we see more of that and better consistent clock management then it will be a big improvement

At the end of last season, I felt it would have been justified to fire both. I especially thought Bowles should have been fired for losing the team last year. But Mac got rid of the players who contributed to the toxic locker room, and Bowles rebuilt his staff with some solid no-nonsense coaches. So far it looks like the changes they made worked. There appears to be great team chemistry.

I think Bowles deserves credit, I really like the changes he made to the coaching staff (although I think D-Co should have been replaced as well). Morton, Bates, Mitchell, Greene, and Wilson all seem to be good teachers. For a young roster like ours, they all look like they were very good hires.

That said, the talent level isn't great, and most importantly we have no QB. Both deserve blame for that. But I'd be OK with retaining them. However I still think a senior football operations guy should be brought in to oversee them both. Something similar to what Jacksonville did with Tom Coughlin.

Simply put, not at this time.  Both are under contract for 2018 so there's no rush,
let the season play out on and off the field.  Let's continue to see progress on the
field from Bowles and let's see Maccagnan address the QB issue in the off-season.  
If both are successful a perfect time for extensions would be in June just before 
the opening of training camp

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Lol on the players being better. You don't have to pick one.

So we are on the same page. They will both be back but neither has earned anything at this point. So more data is needed.

Players are definitely better than a lot of people expected, there’s no question about that.

More data is definitely needed.

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Players are definitely better than a lot of people expected, there’s no question about that.

More data is definitely needed.

I agree. This staff has done a great job of coaching them up. :)

Just kidding. I never thought they were going to be as bad as predicted. The upside for this team is 8 wins. That will be tough in order to get there petty would have to take over and take this offense up a notch.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Led a team with a terrible roster to several unexpected wins. 

Oh you mean when he lead a decent roster to missing the playofs? Beating three terrible teams isn’t “unexpected” wins. They won those games in spite of him wasting timeouts and not making in game adjustments. He’s a bad coach. Macc is a bad GM. We’ve both been around long enough to call spades what they are. 

19 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles. I believe they are both signed till the end of the 2018 season.

Every thread is tank vs winning but personally, I wanted the team to do enough this season to get an extension for both. Whatever that win total was. I think it's very important for the Jets success to have continuity. Feel it would be a big mistake for the youth to grow, make their mistakes this season, gain the experience, and then ask them to learn a new system next season. 

I am not delusional in thinking this is a talented roster, but there is young talent with potential. With a treasure trove of cap space, and an extra 2nd rounder, Mac can add additional young talent. Mac has also purged the roster of the Idzik/Ryan players who probably didn't fit the culture Bowles and Mac were trying to create.

Plenty of Bowles haters but 1 thing he has proven is he can win games with sub par QB play. Also feel like it may have been difficult to change the culture in the locker room after taking over for the ultimate player's coach in Rex Ryan. Saying Rex ran a loose ship is an understatement. He's a good coach. Feel he is only going to ascend and I doubt there is going to be a coach available that is better.

End the carousel. Extend them. 

is it time to talk extension for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles.. "  ?...

tumblr_nay4xtNMCv1tfbtrwo1_400.gif

:ahhh:

I'm willing to extend Macc, two years max.  He can always be fired at any point with only a fiscal impact.

I'm not willing to extend Bowles, he should be replaced, he is not a good NFL Head Coach.

I'd rather see Macc hire his own head Coach, who works for Macc (not directly for the Owner as currently), to both bring in a better Coach, and to restore proper working order in the organization.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh you mean when he lead a decent roster to missing the playofs? Beating three terrible teams isn’t “unexpected” wins. They won those games in spite of him wasting timeouts and not making in game adjustments. He’s a bad coach. Macc is a bad GM. We’ve both been around long enough to call spades what they are. 

Stop with this stuff about beating terrible teams. The Jags are 3-2 and have beaten the Ravens, Steelers, and Texans by wide margins, the Dolfags are still 2-2 despite Cutler. You make it seem like other teams don't win against mediocre to bad teams. Every week is a crap shoot in the NFL with the parity. How many real contenders are there? Everybody else is in the mediocre category and on any given Sunday any team can win. 

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

A coaches job is simply to win games. You alluded to it but if the owner, or the owners brother, wants to intervene and have a convo about playing kids and developing talent that is fine. But otherwise any coach is going to going to try and win as many games as possible, end of story.

I understand, but how do games get won? Winning is probably strongly correlated with coaching up the players those other 5 or 6 days a week and in camp.  Unless you have a team of vet starters development is absolutely necessary and it's why we never go anywhere. We've all noted the lack of young talent at one time or another over the last few, well seemingly forever. Having said that I understand the black and white reality of wins and losses and that being the bottom line since that's what most people see.   

Archived