is it time to talk extension

RESNewYork

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rule of thumb is that you don't let GMs or HCs work in the last year of their contract-you fire them or extend them.

I don't know who wrote that rule.  I vaguely recall Coughlin coaching in his last contract year and then getting extended.  

I think if the team finishes strong Mac and Bowles should get a year extension, after the season.  I don't see a reason why that has to be done now.  That pushes the question to the end of 2018.  Theoretically, if they refuse they could be fired-they would only refuse if they thought the market would give them more than a year, in which case so should the Jets.

I would extend ASJ and Ealy though.

17 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I know this has been discussed to no end on here but isn't the job of every coach is to put the best 11 on the field and try and win every game. Why should Bowles be different?

I had no expectations for the season, I just wanted the team to show enough to keep Bowles and Mac. Whatever that number is. Just confident in what we have in place, like the new assistant coaches, and don't believe there is something better available at the end of the season. Tired of the carousel, and want the youth to develop with this staff

Going around and around with the same mediocre staff, just because you don't want to get off the ride, is the true carousel.

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

The rule of thumb is that you don't let GMs or HCs work in the last year of their contract-you fire them or extend them.

I don't know who wrote that rule.  I vaguely recall Coughlin coaching in his last contract year and then getting extended.  

I think if the team finishes strong Mac and Bowles should get a year extension, after the season.  I don't see a reason why that has to be done now.  That pushes the question to the end of 2018.  Theoretically, if they refuse they could be fired-they would only refuse if they thought the market would give them more than a year, in which case so should the Jets.

I would extend ASJ and Ealy though.

I think I generally agree with this. If they continue strong and have a decent year I think you want to keep them, and thus a 1 year extension to each is fair so they aren't lame ducks. But I certainly don't think they've earned a multi-year extension and I definitely wouldn't extend them now.

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

And that is exactly it does not work having a coach not answer to the GM. They don’t share the same goals. 

If Mac or the organization wanted the young QBs to play or tank the season, then why did Mac sign McCown? Or why not fire Bowles if he refuses to listen to the GM and organization to start the younger guy? 

Maybe Mac signed McCown if Hack or Petty weren't ready. Maybe the evaluation was they are not ready. I think it's strange that fans believe Bowles went rogue and forced Mac to sign McCown and told everyone to F off, he's starting.

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

If Mac or the organization wanted the young QBs to play or tank the season, then why did Mac sign McCown? Or why not fire Bowles if he refuses to listen to the GM and organization to start the younger guy? 

Maybe Mac signed McCown if Hack or Petty weren't ready. Maybe the evaluation was they are not ready. I think it's strange that fans believe Bowles went rogue and forced Mac to sign McCown and told everyone to F off, he's starting.

First of all macc can’t fire anyone. 

Macc signed McCown as a mentor, not as the starter. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

First of all macc can’t fire anyone. 

Macc signed McCown as a mentor, not as the starter. 

Really? How do we know this? I assume when someone is signed they have the potential to start. 

If the organization wanted a "tank" and Mac wanted a "tank" and start the younger QBs no matter what, and Bowles says no, should't or wouldn't they fire him?

There's no way Macc is getting fired and that's a good thing.

Bowles on the other hand could be a goner if the team quits later in the year after a couple tough losses.  I doubt that will happen though.  Morton, Bates and the other new coaches brought on board are doing a good job and bring the intensity that Bowles and Rogers lack.

I'm ok with extending both provided they don't crumble the rest of the year and Bowles keeps the staff he's put together.  

The exception would be hiring someone like Gruden (who would conceivably keep Morton and Bates) or the pipe dream of Harbaugh.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles. I believe they are both signed till the end of the 2018 season.

Every thread is tank vs winning but personally, I wanted the team to do enough this season to get an extension for both. Whatever that win total was. I think it's very important for the Jets success to have continuity. Feel it would be a big mistake for the youth to grow, make their mistakes this season, gain the experience, and then ask them to learn a new system next season. 

I am not delusional in thinking this is a talented roster, but there is young talent with potential. With a treasure trove of cap space, and an extra 2nd rounder, Mac can add additional young talent. Mac has also purged the roster of the Idzik/Ryan players who probably didn't fit the culture Bowles and Mac were trying to create.

Plenty of Bowles haters but 1 thing he has proven is he can win games with sub par QB play. Also feel like it may have been difficult to change the culture in the locker room after taking over for the ultimate player's coach in Rex Ryan. Saying Rex ran a loose ship is an understatement. He's a good coach. Feel he is only going to ascend and I doubt there is going to be a coach available that is better.

End the carousel. Extend them. 

It IS important for a team to have continuity and stability in the front office and coaching staff to have a chance at sustained success on the field, but extending a GM and a coach who have stumbled across 2+ years with way more negatives than positives on their ledgers would be a massive mistake just for the sake of "continuity."

23 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I don't think Bowles went rogue. I just think they both are just dumb.

19 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Really? How do we know this? I assume when someone is signed they have the potential to start. 

If the organization wanted a "tank" and Mac wanted a "tank" and start the younger QBs no matter what, and Bowles says no, should't or wouldn't they fire him?

Both Macc and Bowles answer to Woody. Macc does not have the authority to fire Bowles, and Woody doesn't give a sh*t. Plus he's dumb.

The prudent approach is to wait till the season is into the final Q and evaluate where the team is and came from.   Mac I probably would retain but TB, needs to continue to improve and the team needs to continue to improve - cut out penalties, play hard, physical and competitive. NO MORE games where the team looks totally unprepared.   

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Agree but this is all you ever hear. Lame duck year. It's what every team with every head coach contract does. 

I understand, I've heard it too. I've seen it also. I'm not that guy who does things because others do though. Meanwhile in hypothetical land as the owner... "Maybe this offseason I say to myself we just missed the playoffs with a young team and no one special at QB. The young players stepped up and I have reason to believe that Todd is growing as a coach and I think he could be a long or at least longer term solution." Then I may offer an extension, but not this early. 

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

If you think it'll help Bowles and Macc be better at their jobs, than sure, we can try this "exstension" thing you're talking about.

Just as long as we don't extend them.

Oh man. Congrats. You're the first person ever to troll me for a misspell. I didn't think it existed. 

Wait I didn't have a misspell. 

This GM has the team in worse shape then when he took over 3 years ago and the coach has shown time and time again that he is in over his head. Yeah let's extend these two idiots because we won 3 meaningless games.

I would fire both of these dopes and hire John Dorsey to run things. Let him bring in his own coach and finally bring some talent here.

If I recall correctly, Bowles is on a four year deal. No idea how long mac is on for.

Either way, slow your roll. The team has a winning record after barely beating the Browns. There are encouraging signs with the roster but this is hardly grounds for an extension. Talk to me in December about this.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

What do we have to lose by waiting???  Playoffs?  hell....  we're not even close to the playoffs , so I say let them ride out and make a decision after the season.  So tired of the limp HC we have....

Again title says talk about extension, not extend today. Which were doing. Talking about it

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Both should be gone after this season. One of the least talented rosters in football and even less talented at the positions that matter most. And no young talent there to develop either. 

And the coach? What’s he better at now than he was when he started?

We just beat the Browns behind a great young QB and you want these guys gone. What kind of fan are you. Amazing that people are getting delirious over a couple of garbage wins.

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

How real is the idea that a team quits on their coach. Isn't it just tied to winning and losing? 2015, Jets have a winning record, no talk of quitting. 2016 the Jets have a putrid season, the team quit on Bowles. 2017, Jets are 3-2 and no talk of the team quitting on their coach

Its tied to adversity. Its part of the Coaches job to handle that adversity in the Locker Room. When the Coach loses the team and management gets rid of the troublemakers it is good and bad. Its sends 2 messages to the team. The first message is that the Coach couldn't handle these guys so they are gone. The second message is cause trouble and your gone. Bowles needs to hold this team together when they are winning AND losing. Lets see what happens if they lose 4-5 games in a row and the talking heads are ripping them and the print writers are ripping them. That's when the division starts. When the vultures start talking sh*t to the players and planting seeds of discontent is when the division starts. Bowles couldn't handle it last season and needs to nip that sh*t in the bud. He couldn't do it last year and needs to show he can handle it if it starts to happen this year. That would show he has grown as a HC IMO and would go a long way towards securing that extension some want him to have.

4 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles. I believe they are both signed till the end of the 2018 season.

Every thread is tank vs winning but personally, I wanted the team to do enough this season to get an extension for both. Whatever that win total was. I think it's very important for the Jets success to have continuity. Feel it would be a big mistake for the youth to grow, make their mistakes this season, gain the experience, and then ask them to learn a new system next season. 

I am not delusional in thinking this is a talented roster, but there is young talent with potential. With a treasure trove of cap space, and an extra 2nd rounder, Mac can add additional young talent. Mac has also purged the roster of the Idzik/Ryan players who probably didn't fit the culture Bowles and Mac were trying to create.

Plenty of Bowles haters but 1 thing he has proven is he can win games with sub par QB play. Also feel like it may have been difficult to change the culture in the locker room after taking over for the ultimate player's coach in Rex Ryan. Saying Rex ran a loose ship is an understatement. He's a good coach. Feel he is only going to ascend and I doubt there is going to be a coach available that is better.

End the carousel. Extend them. 

right.  i think some people are so enamoured with the jets getting a top qb prospect in the draft that they forget that the team's future health is more dependent on having a stable front office and coaching staff.  i know both bowles and mac have been maligned but right now the team is playing pretty well.  there's still a ton of football left and anything can happen.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Mac...yes.

Bowles...not yet.

Bowles is having a better year than Macc right now.

Bowles did the sales job of the year getting these new coaches to come here. I don't think either of them should be extended right now. I believe (and have been saying this all offseason) that they will both be back next year.

But there is no way you can extend Macc when the year 3 QB depth chart has those three names on it.

Archived