I just don't understand some of you guys

Pennington

I am a long time lurker who just joined to get my thoughts out there.

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that it would be better to lose enough to pick one of the QBs, everyone acts like what we say/do/feel about the wins and losses has ANYTHING to do with how this team plays.  At this point, whatever happens this season happens and I am done caring either way.  I am rooting to beat the Pats on Sunday and after that I couldn't care less what happens.  It's the only game I wanted to win this year and was hoping for 1-15, but hey, that hasn't happened so let's cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

3 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

Welcome to the Wu Tank Clan. You will be receiving your complimentary World's Best Browns fan mug in the mail shortly.

I agree with half of your thoughts. 

I think it is ludicrous to be happy watching the Jets win worthless games headed into a QB heavy draft.

But I also think it is quite clear why a portion of the fan base must root for their team regardless of circumstance... even if it is short-sighted.

I will not waste any more time, already have spent more than 30 years of rarely missing a game, watching this franchise until they solve the problem at QB.

My solution is to spend my Sundays on the water fishing instead.

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

everyone acts like what we say/do/feel about the wins and losses has ANYTHING to do with how this team plays.

I've said this before. Literally no one thinks that they are a wizard. Hoping for a particular outcome =/= sorcery.

Fresh take.

You obviously must have missed the numerous posts disproving the myth that you need the # 1 pick to find a QB.

The Manning brothers are the only #1 picks to win the SB in the last 20 years and Peytons last win was in spite of him.

11 minutes ago, Pennington said:

lol, yeah... I'm sure we all would love to draft Darnold or Rosen, as most do. But we can't make the players lose. Am I happy we just won 3 games in a row? yes and no. No because I want a QB, but Yes because I can't change the outcome of the game, and it is good for the young players to get some wins. Now realistically we have a legit chance to beat the Bills and Dolphins, so thats 5-11 if we win both. Probably not going to be picking in the top 2 with that record, no doubt. So yeah it kind of sucks for the "we want and need a QB" people. But man you can gripe about the wins all you want, there is nothing you can do about it. It is what it is. Why don't you start sending a letter to the players and ask them to lose on purpose and quit whining on this board already

What do you want us, as a fan, to do?

Mac cut a ton of dead weight.   The younger players look like they are playing better.  He can't go into the locker room and say "Lose".   Aside from QB they are playing all younger guys.  If the QB stumbles, or they are out of the playoff race, you start Petty.  

I would not have minded if they went 2-14.  But they are not as bad as the 49ers or the Colts.   The Browns may win a few now that they made the QB change, we'll see.

I have never heard people describe weeks 3, 4 and 5 as meaningless games.  Actually, I am lying.  I have heard it hear a ton recently.  I just don't understand the logic.  

Beating the Bills last year and in '05, the Chiefs in '07 and the Titans and Dolphins in 2014 constituted winning meaningless games.  We were already out of the playoffs, not tied for first in the division.  

27 minutes ago, Pennington said:

is it time to talk extension

Phillip Rivers is a Franchise QB and near HOFer . Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB . Both were drafted in the 1st round  and neither have a SB ring .   Kurt Warner was an Undrafted free agent  and he's in the HOF . Tom Brady was a 6 round pick and is a HOFer  . Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick and has a SB ring . Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and has a SB ring . Here's an interesting one for a thinking man . Peyton Manning was the 1st overall pick , has 2 SB rings and is a sure fire HOFer .  Exactly what did he do to earn both of those rings other than being on a team whose defense rose up and help him become a champion .

Teams win championships .  It helps a great deal if you don't have to hide your QB along the way, but your QB don't have to be a 1st round pick, just capable .

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Phillip Rivers is a Franchise QB and near HOFer . Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB . Both were drafted in the 1st round  and neither have a SB ring .   Kurt Warner was an Undrafted free agent  and he's in the HOF . Tom Brady was a 6 round pick and is a HOFer  . Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick and has a SB ring . Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and has a SB ring . Here's an interesting one for a thinking man . Peyton Manning was the 1st overall pick , has 2 SB rings and is a sure fire HOFer .  Exactly what did he do to earn both of those rings other than being on a team whose defense rose up and help him become a champion .

Teams win championships .  It helps a great deal if you don't have to hide your QB along the way, but your QB don't have to be a 1st round pick, just capable .

Your argument is partially correct, in a factual sense. 

But clearly, from a mathematical standpoint, a team is more likely to hit on a QB at the top of the draft.

From a historical perspective, the Jets have drafted countless QBs in the middle to latter part of the draft over the years... with virtually zero success I might add.  Maybe Matt Robinson?

The best case one can make along your viewpoint is that the Jets always pick the wrong guy.  So it is better to let other teams make their selection and hope the Jets get lucky on the guy they all decide to pass on.  I do not subscribe to the second part of that theory.  Far more likely to wind up with a Paxton Lynch or Christian Ponder than an Aaron Rodgers.  It is better to take their pick of a few. 

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have never heard people describe weeks 3, 4 and 5 as meaningless games.  Actually, I am lying.  I have heard it hear a ton recently.  I just don't understand the logic.  

Beating the Bills last year and in '05, the Chiefs in '07 and the Titans and Dolphins in 2014 constituted winning meaningless games.  We were already out of the playoffs, not tied for first in the division.  

Dom, we all know that time is a human construct. In reality the Jets are already 5-11, we just haven't gotten to see it yet. 

Rumour has it Mac was considering moving up to draft Goff but the price was way to high...that was from 18 to 1. Who's to say if we are sitting at 5 Mac won't revisit the option and move up 3 or 4 positions to 1 or 2.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

#1 we were never bad enough for a top 2 pick

#2 if we really like these QBs we can trade up

#3 no proof that taking a top 3 QB is the instant solution to our problems 

#4 No way active players ever tank

#5 No way active coaches ever tank

#6 Being a crappy team makes it so much harder to sign free agents, and probably offsets any draft order advantage you get.  I think this is mostly ignored, but free agents want to go to a contender, and if you're not on the upswing, expect to pay 10-30% more for free agents AND your own re-signs.

#7 Getting a Top 2 QB isn't a guarantee - and this team knows about guarantees.   Just ask your man Joe.

It's not about what we want. It's about how can people keep their jobs and look better at what they do. Mac and Bowles had the option to start a veteran and make their younger team look better and better or go with a young inexperienced QB who hasn't looked good at all and watch him bring the entire team down making them both look bad. 

42 minutes ago, Pennington said:

no ripping from me but there is less chance that darnold or rosen or whomever will be a franchise qb in this draft than the bills making the playoffs.  the whole point is that what we are seeing is a team developing and wins (even though they seem meaningless) are part of that.  it's not going to make much difference in drafting a darnold or a rosen if the rest of the team isn't somewhat set.  sanchez was successful because he was drafted into a team that was ready to play.  same thing can be said about brady.  when he started the patsies were ready to start playing.  same thing with chaddy.  consider this.  would you rather see petty or hack (assuming they are the qb for next season) playing behind the sieve that the jet oline is?  he'd get clobbered.  on the other hand mccown gives the oline a chance to develop as well as the receivers.  don't get me wrong, i'd rather see petty or hack stating but i do see the reasoning behind using mccown.

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This team let Shady and Tolbert run through holes the size of an Atlanta freeway.

Then they hit the self-destruct button in Oakland after a decent first half.

Then they beat a Dolphins team that was also shut out the following week by the Saints. (Final play vs. Jets not included)

Then they needed a fluke Bilal Powell play to help them beat Jacksonville.

Then they needed the Browns to turn it over twice inside the Jets 5 yard line AND two missed FGs to beat the Browns.

THEY ARE ALL MEANINGLESS!

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no ripping from me but there is less chance that darnold or rosen or whomever will be a franchise qb in this draft than the bills making the playoffs.  the whole point is that what we are seeing is a team developing and wins (even though they seem meaningless) are part of that.  it's not going to make much difference in drafting a darnold or a rosen if the rest of the team isn't somewhat set.  sanchez was successful because he was drafted into a team that was ready to play.  same thing can be said about brady.  

Driver, I'm getting out at this corner.

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Well said.

This attitude of just needing to get a franchise QB then sit on our ass for 15 years while the Lombardi's roll in is ignorance and folly.

Andrew Luck, "the most NFL ready quarterback" as it was touted at the time of drafting, has no ring and frankly not seeing one in his near future either without a better cast around him.

You need a total organisation. Front office, scouting, good coaching plus the players of which sure, the QB is the biggest factor, IMO.

Seattle are a good example. They finally got a franchise QB, but, they got a good long term coach with surrounding coaches on the same page, they set up a supporting cast in defense which means the QB doesn't have to carry the team week in and out. Their front office seems good.

56 minutes ago, Pennington said:

You are a fake fan then...real fans root for success

41 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If the Pats steamroll the Jets on Sunday, some of the stubborn die-hards might come around to the realization that they are wasting their time rooting for a team to go 6-10 for the umpteenth time.

The Pats steamrolled the Jets umpteen times when they were not perceived to be tanking - so what difference does it make.

If Petty or Hackenberg were playing and were the reason why we were winning their would be no complaints. Instead we are squeezing by bad teams with a 38 yr old journeyman throwing to vet receivers.

I fully expect this dope of a GM to spend big like a fool next offseason in free agency and bring back McCown only to see the team fall apart with no top QB in the next draft.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don't like McCown in the starting lineup. 

Outside of that, how, exactly, did you see this tank being achieved? 

Thank you!!!!

I have asked this question or a similar question in thread after thread after thread and there is simply no answer.  

Advocating for a Tank is fine, but to then pillar the Jets for playing decently against anyone is just silly. No one thinks that the Jets have beaten the 1960s Packers this year out here but they have played hard and been competitive, which is far more than we could say in general from the Jets last year.

Think the Jets have already put out one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL to start for their Team in McCown; and other than that, or literally throwing games, how are the Jets to Tank? There is no answer for this basic starting point.  

Complaining thread after thread about the Jets not tanking properly makes no sense when no one in the organization has any other choice than to do their best.  

Again the question to the deliberate tankers is: what would you have the Jets do to lose games as you suggest!!!

Archived