Regardless of Record, Jets’ Maccagnan Has one Mission

JetNation

IMG_5325.jpg

During your average NFL season, taking the time to talk about any team’s draft plans after a 3-2 start would be preposterous, but let’s face it, for the New York Jets, this is anything but an average NFL season.

The Jets were projected by many to own the top pick in the draft come April, but that’s already out of the question following a three game winning streak in which the Jets have beaten the Dolphins, Jaguars and Browns.

Whether the Jets go winless the rest of the way or manage a few more wins between now and week 17, it shouldn’t have any bearing on the task at hand for GM Mike Maccagnan, because despite many of his draft picks stepping up and having an impact in 2017, none of it will matter if he can’t find a quarterback, and this is how he should do it.

1) If Necessary, trade up:

Nobody knows where the Jets will be picking come draft day, and nobody but the Jets knows how their draft board will be stacked.  Either way, once the team determines who the top quarterbacks in the draft are, they have to do whatever it takes to get their guy.  If that means giving up multiple first and second round picks, so be it.  How many players have come and gone over the past several decades whose presence meant little in the grand scheme of things without a quarterback in the fold?  Too many.  To bring an end to this seemingly endless string of busts and wasted seasons, it’s going to take a franchise quarterback, and the time to get one is now…or, well, in April, but you get the point.

2) Double Down at the QB position:  

GM Mike Maccagnan took a lot of heat this off-season when he drafted safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in rounds one and two respectively.  The reason for all of that heat?  No matter how good the tandem turns out to be, safety, while a position that is increasing in importance, is not viewed as a high value position.  Those spots are reserved for quarterbacks, left tackles, pass rushers and cornerbacks.  If Maccagnan doubles down again this year, but does it at the quarterback position, he’d be doing himself and the Jets a huge favor.  Should the Jets wind up with a top 5 or 6 pick, that would give them two choices in the top 40 in a class that some say will have up to eight legitimate NFL quarterbacks.

People laughed at the Washington Redskins years ago when they chose Robert Griffin III in the first round, and then took another quarterback, Kirk Cousins, in the fourth round of that same draft.  They may have been laughing then, but how does that look now?  The Redskins took a highly rated QB and hedged their bets with another one later on.  When Griffin’s star faded fast, Cousins took over and is now looking at getting franchise quarterback money as one of the highest rated passers on the NFL over the past two-plus seasons.

If Maccagnan is serious about ending this quarterback drought, he should use the draft to prove it and come away with more than one.

3)  Get a vet:  If the Jets are only going to draft one quarterback, it should be a result of having acquired a veteran signal caller before the draft rolls around.  The aforementioned Cousins is believed to be heading out west to San Francisco where he’ll be re-united with former offensive coordinator Kyle Shannahan, but that doesn’t mean Maccagnan shouldn’t be making an offer as well.  The Jets are going to have a ton of cap space next season, upwards of $90 million.  See how much of that it will take to get Cousins.

If Cousins doesn’t work out, then call the Chiefs about Alex Smith, or perhaps, for a cheaper option, kick the tires on Teddy Bridgewater, who wold likely be a nice fit in John Morton’s offense.

4) Carry Four in 2018…again: It was an unpopular decision two years ago when the Jets carried four quarterbacks (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg), but that was due largely in part to an ageing Fitzpatrick and an ineffective Smith blocking the way for Petty and Hackenberg.  If the team carries four quarterbacks with one of them being a quality veteran such as Cousins or Smith, and three younger QB’s who may one day become the face of the franchise and/or a valuable trade chip, there’s unlikely to be such as much grumbling.

5) Put ego aside and pick up the phone: Of all the approaches mentioned here, this one is the least likely, but hopefully not entirely impossible.  Yes, the Jets do have a scouting department, an offensive coordinator and a QB coach to weigh in with their opinions on the signal callers in this draft.  However, history has shown us that even the most respected football minds have missed on quarterbacks many times over before finally finding “the one”.

For example, Ozzie Newsome, who is viewed by many as the best GM in the NFL, once drafted quarterback Kyle Boller in the first round of the 2003 draft after being convinced by head coach and “offensive guru” Brian Billick that Boller had the goods.  Billick and Newsome were proven wrong as Boller finished his career with 48 touchdowns and 54 interceptions.

John Elway, Broncos GM and Hall of Fame QB drafted Brock Osweiller in the second round and then last season tried to pay him big money to remain with the Broncos.  When Osweiller turned Elway down, he responded by drafting quarterback Paxton Lynch in the first round of the 2016 draft.  Now Lynch is riding the pine behind former 7th round pick Trevor Siemian who has played better than Osweiller and Lynch.  Siemian was already on Elway’s roster, and even he didn’t know he was his best option.

Josh McDaniel took Tim Tebow in round one, Steve Mariucci took Jim Druckenmiller with the first overall pick, Andy Reid took Kevin Kolb in round 2, former great Bobby Bethard, who is currently being considered for induction in to the NFL hall of fame was the man who drafted Ryan Leaf with the second pick of the 1998 draft…and the list goes on.

There are a million examples of highly respected coaches and executives who get it wrong when it comes to picking a quarterback.  When they eventually get it right, they go from idiot to irreplaceable.  If Maccagnan wants to become the latter rather than the former, he’s gotta’ get it right this time around.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vkIJ9pZs17Y

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lot of bad picks. Hopefully we will get our guy from somewhere. We just need to know what we already have. I am starting to think that if Petty and Hack can't beat out McCown, then they don't have it. It's hard to know because of Bowles.

13 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

That's a lot of bad picks. Hopefully we will get our guy from somewhere. We just need to know what we already have. I am starting to think that if Petty and Hack can't beat out McCown, then they don't have it. It's hard to know because of Bowles.

Whatever we have right now, we have to approach this draft on the assumption that we have nothing. Even if Petty plays 8 games and looks really good, draft that QB anyway in Round 1, give Petty a run while the draft pick learns, and take it from there. If we end up with one QB out of that, job done. End up with two - excellent!!

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Whatever we have right now, we have to approach this draft on the assumption that we have nothing. Even if Petty plays 8 games and looks really good, draft that QB anyway in Round 1, give Petty a run while the draft pick learns, and take it from there. If we end up with one QB out of that, job done. End up with two - excellent!!

Agreed.  Realistically nothing they could do this season to erase the need to take a QB in rd 1.

The title is a bit confusing.  3 years in and Mac has actually treated the QB position like the least important position on the team.  Took a flier in the 4th his first year with Geno Smith on the roster, drafted a red/yellow and possibly blue shirt prospect in the 2nd who can't even dress and committed to 2 of the worst veteran journeyman QB's in recent NFL history.  In the meantime, he's passed on opportunities to draft Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Lynch, etc.  He didnt have a QB on the roster this year and didn't draft one at all. I'd actually say that Mac has done everything but prioritize the most important position in all of sports.  If finding a QB was a priority, you wouldn't spin your wheels with the likes of McCown and Fitz and you'd play the guys you drafted and actually move toward solving the problem.  If he's on a mission, he's certainly doesn't seem to be trying to accomplish said mission. 

The trade up scenario: sounds beautiful, sounds easy but didn't Mac fail to move up for Wentz and Mariota?  Why?  Price to high?  What changes this year?  And is anyone of these prospects as good as those 2?  I highly doubt it.  

Double down: I'm fine with it.  I'm part of the draft one every year until you find one crowd.  Although, I don't think it's necessary.  Sure it worked for the Redskins but what does that say about them giving up a kings ransom for a player they felt they needed to hedge the bets on?  This team is deprived of talent, I'd prefer not being redundant if it's not necessary. You can play 2 safeties, you can't play 2 QB's.

Get a Vet: that got a good chuckle from me because you know for a fact that's happening and he's probably going to be the starter.  coughMcCowncough

Carry 4: no opinion either way, it seems pointless to do this again but whatever.  I certainly don't think this is must have criteria to finding a QB but no opinion either way.

Pick up the phone: are you saying don't be afraid to take a QB high and go ahead and do it?  Don't be scared?

Good read!  

Maybe we will be in a position where there isnt a qb to be picked with franchise potential.  Maybe Mac will consider that the available freagent QBs arent worth breaking the bank for.  Given these possibilities I feel better enjoying some unexpected wins and rooting for the guys we have.  I would love a stud QB but it really is better not stressing about it.  Eventually we will get one.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The title is a bit confusing.  3 years in and Mac has actually treated the QB position like the least important position on the team.  Took a flier in the 4th his first year with Geno Smith on the roster, drafted a red/yellow and possibly blue shirt prospect in the 2nd who can't even dress and committed to 2 of the worst veteran journeyman QB's in recent NFL history.  In the meantime, he's passed on opportunities to draft Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Lynch, etc.  He didnt have a QB on the roster this year and didn't draft one at all. I'd actually say that Mac has done everything but prioritize the most important position in all of sports.  If finding a QB was a priority, you wouldn't spin your wheels with the likes of McCown and Fitz and you'd play the guys you drafted and actually move toward solving the problem.  If he's on a mission, he's certainly doesn't seem to be trying to accomplish said mission. 

This is the nut of it. Maccagnan's handling of the QB position has been nothing short of criminal. In three years, he's brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown. That's it. The idea that he's suddenly on a "mission" is a sick joke. The mission starts day one, not year four, and the fact that accomplishing it now consists of either trading our next four drafts to get to #2 overall or giving $150 million to Kirk Cousins is the direct result of three years spent dicking around with has-beens, never-wases, and young guys who never had a chance. That the same people who think Idzik did 9/11 because he took Calvin Pryor over Derek Carr now want to give coffee boy an extension for taking Jamal Adams over Deshaun Watson is just the cherry on the sh*t sundae.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is the nut of it. Maccagnan's handling of the QB position has been nothing short of criminal. In three years, he's brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown. That's it. The idea that he's suddenly on a "mission" is a sick joke. The mission starts day one, not year four, and the fact that accomplishing it now consists of either trading our next four drafts to get to #2 overall or giving $150 million to Kirk Cousins is the direct result of three years spent dicking around with has-beens, never-wases, and young guys who never had a chance. That the same people who think Idzik did 9/11 because he took Calvin Pryor over Derek Carr now want to give coffee boy an extension for taking Jamal Adams over Deshaun Watson is just the cherry on the sh*t sundae.

Bingo bongo but I’m super psyched to see what he does next year. 

I'm not trading three #1 picks to move up to get Darnold or Rosen.  Sorry, no.

Not in a draft this deep at QB, and so much uncertainty around the (current) top two prospects (especially Sam "Interceptions" Darnold, of perennial underwhelming pro QB factory USC).

Stay pat, draft the Best available QB at our slot (or perhaps a slot or two higher if the cost is right).  Then yes, draft another QB later if one presents himself availble.

The invest those saved draft picks in assets to put around our new QB.  O-linemen (we still need at least 2).  WR's (Kearse may be a short-term solution, Kerley isn't, a legit #1 WR is a real need).  And another running back to replace Forte (ugh) and Powell (getting long in the tooth).

Trading a bagful of #1's and #2 picks for one guy, has that ever worked?  I can't recall an example off the top of my head.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The trade up scenario: sounds beautiful, sounds easy but didn't Mac fail to move up for Wentz and Mariota?  Why?  Price to high?  What changes this year?  And is anyone of these prospects as good as those 2?  I highly doubt it.  

Double down: I'm fine with it.  I'm part of the draft one every year until you find one crowd.  Although, I don't think it's necessary.  Sure it worked for the Redskins but what does that say about them giving up a kings ransom for a player they felt they needed to hedge the bets on?  This team is deprived of talent, I'd prefer not being redundant if it's not necessary. You can play 2 safeties, you can't play 2 QB's.

Get a Vet: that got a good chuckle from me because you know for a fact that's happening and he's probably going to be the starter.  coughMcCowncough

Carry 4: no opinion either way, it seems pointless to do this again but whatever.  I certainly don't think this is must have criteria to finding a QB but no opinion either way.

Pick up the phone: are you saying don't be afraid to take a QB high and go ahead and do it?  Don't be scared?

Good read!  

I believe Year one was about evaluating Geno.  Geno Geno’d so they had to go with Fitz.

Year two was trying to capitalize on a very good year one while letting the two guys he drafted sit and learn.

Year three those guys were given a shot to win the starting job.  Petty won it, but bowles didn’t care.

Hack had a shot to show something and all he showed is that he’s 10-12 years away from being a serviceable third stringer.

He put together a roster that should have them in position to get a top pick or realistically trade up to the top 3 or 5.

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don't know if it's fair to say he hasn't made an effort at QB -- he made his move in drafting Hackenberg. It was just an awful, terrible, disastrous move that basically resulted in us flushing a 2nd round pick down the toilet and wasting a roster spot for two years.

McCown was a placeholder because he liked the 2018 crop of QBs better than the 2017 crop.

The real question, to me, why this guy should be making the decision on our next QB? Because it's not like the Hackenberg flop came out of nowhere. Tons of people had him as undraftable... And we were forced to see what Maccagnan knew that nobody else did. The answer, of course, was nothing.

19 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Oh he knows, Infact I'd put my house QB is number 1 on the Jets shopping list.

Wether it's Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith or the draft. I'm not looking at Rosen or Darnold that ships sailed. It's Baker Mayfield for me, trade up whatever just draft him.

It absolutely is.  All this talk about how he’s gonna’ go defense is wishful thinking on the part of the Idzik guys who want so badly for Mac to be worse than their guy.

It’s 100% gonna be a QB.

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know if it's fair to say he hasn't made an effort at QB -- he made his move in drafting Hackenberg. It was just an awful, terrible, disastrous move that basically resulted in us flushing a 2nd round pick down the toilet and wasting a roster spot for two years.

McCown was a placeholder because he liked the 2018 crop of QBs better than the 2017 crop.

The real question, to me, why this guy should be making the decision on our next QB? Because it's not like the Hackenberg flop came out of nowhere. Tons of people had him as undraftable... And we were forced to see what Maccagnan knew that nobody else did. The answer, of course, was nothing.

Agreed in that Hackenberg is actually worse than not making an effort, because not making an effort would have involved spending that 2nd rounder on a guy who might actually start an NFL game at some point. Passing on Watson in April 2017 because we're busy projecting the 2018 QB class is so monumentally stupid that I have no doubt it's precisely how Maccagnan approached it. Three years of work has led us to this: Darnold staying in school, Rosen emerging as the only guy at the top, and we've got no shot at a top-3 pick and no shot of getting there short of butt****ing our next four drafts. Or we could hand a nine-figure contract to a guy who'll be 30 when next season starts, who no one thinks is all that great, and who is almost certainly signing with San Francisco anyway. It's malpractice. But hey, how about those safeties?

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed in that Hackenberg is actually worse than not making an effort, because not making an effort would have involved spending that 2nd rounder on a guy who might actually start an NFL game at some point. Passing on Watson in April 2017 because we're busy projecting the 2018 QB class is so monumentally stupid that I have no doubt it's precisely how Maccagnan approached it. Three years of work has led us to this: Darnold staying in school, Rosen emerging as the only guy at the top, and we've got no shot at a top-3 pick and no shot of getting there short of butt****ing our next four drafts. Or we could hand a nine-figure contract to a guy who'll be 30 when next season starts, who no one thinks is all that great, and who is almost certainly signing with San Francisco anyway. It's malpractice. But hey, how about those safeties?

idziot's fault

51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No offense, but can you maybe be more of a real fan? It offends me that you are not. Thanks, I'll wait. 

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It absolutely is.  All this talk about how he’s gonna’ go defense is wishful thinking on the part of the Idzik guys who want so badly for Mac to be worse than their guy.

It’s 100% gonna be a QB.

I'm not convinced. I could easily see the scenario where he doesn't feel it's worth it to trade up, and then doesn't think the best QB there when the Jets pick is worth it, either. I hope that's not the case, but it's extremely easy to envision. 

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It’s 100% gonna be a QB.

Who? Where? How? These aren't rhetorical questions. I honestly want to know. If we're not finishing in the top 3, we'd better hope another franchise-caliber guy slips to us at 6 (or 8, or wherever) for the second year in a row, which seems pretty unlikely. Barring that, we're going to need to give up an enormous amount of capital to move up. But even that requires a guy worth trading up for and team willing to trade down, and assumes that our offer will be the best one. I know you've talked yourself into these three years being a part of some master plan because it's the only way to keep from stroking out over the dissonance of personnel guy/terrible roster, but the level of handwaving here--from Jets fans of all people--is amazing. If getting a QB were this simple and linear a process, we would have done it already.

There are no "Idzik guys."

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Who? Where? How? These aren't rhetorical questions. I honestly want to know. If we're not finishing in the top 3, we'd better hope another franchise-caliber guy slips to us at 6 (or 8, or wherever) for the second year in a row, which seems pretty unlikely. Barring that, we're going to need to give up an enormous amount of capital to move up. But even that requires a guy worth trading up for and team willing to trade down, and assumes that our offer will be the best one. I know you've talked yourself into these three years being a part of some master plan because it's the only way to keep from stroking out over the dissonance of personnel guy/terrible roster, but the level of handwaving here, from Jets fans of all people, is amazing. If getting a QB were this simple and linear a process, we would have done it already.

There are no "Idzik guys."

This is exactly what an Idzik guy who wants so badly for Mac to be worse than your guy would say.

Something to keep in perspective when everyone is panicking that because the Jets have won 3 games and that we are going to miss out on someone who is projected to be the best of a QB class that will rival the famed class of 1983............The Dolphins went to the Super Bowl the year before, picked 27th in that draft, and got the best QB of them all. Relax, you never know what will happen.

28 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not convinced. I could easily see the scenario where he doesn't feel it's worth it to trade up, and then doesn't think the best QB there when the Jets pick is worth it, either. I hope that's not the case, but it's extremely easy to envision. 

We’ll see, but if they don’t get a Cousins/Smith type, I’ll be all for his firing if they don’t get a legit prospect or two in the draft.

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

These Idzik guys who want so badly for Mac to be worse than their guy, can't stand 'em. They're like carnies. Circus folk, nomads you know, smelling like cabbage with their small hands.

1) it is impossible to be worse than idzik drafting.

2) Being better than idzik but still being sh*tty does not = success.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

It’s 100% gonna be a QB.

No its not 100% going to be a QB when we aren't in position to get one of the elite guys. If we can't land Darnold, Rosen, or Allen who I still like very much this idiot will go with what he considers the best player available and you can guess what side of the ball that will be. In the second round we will reach for a stiff like Browning and the mess will continue as is.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

If Maccagnan was truly set on landing either Darnold or Rosen he should have forced Bowles to start Hack. By the way I don't want Cousins and the ridiculous contract he will receive but he isn't going to San Fran either. No way are the Niners passing on either Darnold or Rosen so they can pay Cousins 25 million per season.

Archived