Would you be happy with Bridgewater next season?

AFJF

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy with Bridgewater next season?

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Happy with signing Bridgewater as a set starting QB?  No.

Okay with signing Bridgewater, in addition to still drafting a QB in exactly the same manner as if he hadn't been signed?  Sure.

438fbc53e025206758a178d668bb01c7.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  Bridgewater was injured before Bradford even got to the team and still hasn't been medically cleared, so the idea of having "lost" anything is a pure fabrication.  By your logic, has Bradford lost his job to Case Keenum?

Bradford is team captain now , he's the starter what is hard to comprehend , he took the job from bridgewater , when bridgewater comes back and Sam Bradford healthy the starter is Bradford . No Bradford didn't lose it to Keemun , Sam is better than him.

19 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

On the cheap, I'd be fine with it. Although I'd still want to take a QB in the draft.

I like this idea.  

I think the Jets should be looking to draft a QB.  They could go the Wentz route, the Carr route, the Cousins route or the Brady route, but they should keep looking to draft a QB until they get one.  Statistically, those teams are more likely to be successful-those that draft and develop their own QBs.

But until they do, they should sign capable FA QBs who can hold the fort.  That could be Bridgewater, Alex Smith.  I don't know what happens to Garopollo-the Osweiler approach (pay a back up QB alot of money) does not look good.  Cousins could be an option that changes the dynamic.

However, if the Jets were to pretend that Cousins was their franchise QB and signed him, that could be the most effective and fastest way to make the Jets competitive, starting next year.

Minnesota also paid Kyle Sloter near the veteran minimum to steal him from Denver and put him on their practice squad. I believe they offered him $20K per week instead of the normal $7K.

Loved sloter coming out last year and he had an excellent pre-season, definitely a developmental guy to watch once they let go of Bradford or Teddy.

2 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

If we sign a guy who lost his job to Sam ****in Bradford I'm done . It would be the SAME OL JETS move , I mean we have a 2-22 record qb at the helm

In an ability competition Bradford wins against most starters in the league...except the most important ability. 

Seems as though the Vikings didn't consider that...with either QB

55 minutes ago, varjet said:

I like this idea.  

I think the Jets should be looking to draft a QB.  They could go the Wentz route, the Carr route, the Cousins route or the Brady route, but they should keep looking to draft a QB until they get one.  Statistically, those teams are more likely to be successful-those that draft and develop their own QBs.

But until they do, they should sign capable FA QBs who can hold the fort.  That could be Bridgewater, Alex Smith.  I don't know what happens to Garopollo-the Osweiler approach (pay a back up QB alot of money) does not look good.  Cousins could be an option that changes the dynamic.

However, if the Jets were to pretend that Cousins was their franchise QB and signed him, that could be the most effective and fastest way to make the Jets competitive, starting next year.

If you sign Cousins, then you are committing to him as your QB for the foreseeable future. Signing Bridgewater or Alex Smith means you can still draft a QB, should the opportunity arise to get one that you like.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

McCown is old, we are going to need a vet and acquiring someone like him wouldn't stop us from drafting someone.  think Seattle when they got Flynn, did it stop them from drafting Wilson? or Chicago this year w/ Glennon and Trubisky.  w/ that injury compensation wouldn't be too high and he was on his way to becoming a good NFL QB. 

exactly, I would consider him for the right price as a veteran insurance option to compete with Petty/Hack and a Rookie QB but I wouldn't rely on him as the guy

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Oh, and btw, f*ck off with your opinions about futbol. 

@nyjunc inspiring the best in JetNation since 2006!

I think all of you guys are off base about what these guys are going to cost.  They aren't getting cheap-o deals.  These are QBs that have potential.  Bridgewater has the injury, but Alex Smith is going to cost.  He is killing it over there.  

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

242538.jpg

10048922.jpg?size=640x420

St+Louis+Rams+v+New+York+Jets+NnNY-GOCQ4

Signing big name FA QB's has clearly always worked out well.

so acquiring a guy who has played 2 seasons is the same as over the hill vets like Boomer and Favre? any way you can find a QB you explore that option until you have one.

oh and the greatest season by a QB in Jets history came from a FA- Vinny Testaverde. 

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

So has free agency.  I'll bet you loved Neil O'Donnell. 

Oh, and btw, f*ck off with your opinions about futbol. 

it's soccer and it sucks.  thanks for your input though.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Pass. We need to do our own thing through the draft.

IMO, Petty is the default starter going forward until Hack or another draft pick can knock him off. Keep playing king of the hill with our own guys until one guy stays the distance.

Bowled in the lane right next to him this past offseason in Davie, FL. Hell of a bowler, really cool guy, seemed to be moving around fine. 

If we don’t get our hands on 1 of the top 3 QB’s in the draft, I wouldn’t have an issue with bringing him in at all...probably wouldn’t cost too much either.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

You conveniently left someone out.

Testaverde_Parcells_Jets.jpg

I also left out a half dozen other FA QB Signings who failed as well.

One (fleeting) success in Vinny doesn't make signing a may-never-play-the-same-again Bridgewater a good choice.

Why on earth are some Jets fans so obsessed with signing other teams risky castoffs?  Do they expect some sort of miracle?

And if thats the case, why not expect a miracle from a guy WE draft and grow rather than some other teams leftover unwanted's?

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One (fleeting) success in Vinny doesn't make signing a may-never-play-the-same-again Bridgewater a good choice.

Why on earth are some Jets fans so obsessed with signing other teams risky castoffs?  Do they expect some sort of miracle?

And if thats the case, why not expect a miracle from a guy WE draft and grow rather than some other teams leftover unwanted's?

how many of the FA QBs were younger and coming in as a starter?  Only O'Donnell in my lifetime.

we should be obsessed w/ a prospect which more often than not will not pan out, right?

signing a Bridgewater guarantees nothing, the other QBs still have every opportunity to get better and we can still draft another QB.  you act like we'd be signing him to a $100 mil guaranteed deal. 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Would you consider Bridgewater an upgrade over Hackenberg or Petty . The answer to that question is the answer to the OPs question . 

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Would you consider Bridgewater an upgrade over Hackenberg or Petty . The answer to that question is the answer to the OPs question . 

Till I see him play again, and not go down with a limp leg in a non-contact injury, no, I wouldn't.

But I get it, Jets fans want instant solutions.  And someone eles's trash ALWAYS looks like treasure to an impatient Jets fan.

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every move is risky, my friend. Draft picks are just as risky. For every Matt Stafford or Cam Newton, there are 30 Tim Couches. 

I'd be fine with taking a chance on someone like Bridgewater, or signing Alex Smith. Neither should prohibit them from taking a QB in the draft, because they won't cost much.

In fact, an argument can be made that this is the best route to take. 

10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Every move is risky, my friend. Draft picks are just as risky. For every Matt Stafford or Cam Newton, there are 30 Tim Couches. 

I'd be fine with taking a chance on someone like Bridgewater, or signing Alex Smith. Neither should prohibit them from taking a QB in the draft, because they won't cost much.

In fact, an argument can be made that this is the best route to take. 

Alex Smith is (currently) a leader for league MVP. 

Why is everyone presuming the Chiefs will be so quick to let him walk?  Did I miss a news item where they said "he sucks, we can't wait to play the kid, so start making room for a 25 mil/year contract for Smith other teams!"

Bridgewater is a total risk.  Had two very average (for a QB) seasons, then a massive non-contact injury of the kind that may forever infringe upon the type of QB he was.  He'll still cost alot more than a draft pick, will expect to start right away, and isn't necessarily a good fit for a West Coast offensive system we now run. 

And he hasn't taken an NFL snap since 2015 (it'll be 2018 before he takes another snap that counts).  Why take on all that cost and baggage?  

Draft a QB.  Best we can get in our slot (no trade ups).  Play Hack (or Petty) for a full year.  Build the overall talent around the QB position. 

If none of them work after a few years each, rinse, repeat.  There are no quick fixes at QB in the NFL.  If you CAN get a guy, there is a good reason why.

Archived