If we did end up with the #1 pick

Sperm Edwards

What would you do?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• No trading up, because there are plenty of QBs in this class. But DO take a QB at #1 if we end up with that pick, and thereby turn down RGIII-trade type compensation.
    • "Don't trade up" means no QB prospect is worth all that. If we get an RGIII-trade type of offer, definitely trade down to ~#6-10-ish.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Darnold. But that's because I'm a huge Darnold fan and don't see Mayfield as an NFL QB.

Understood.

I loathe USC QB's because almost all of them suck at the NFL level (Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez, BootyBooty!, Matt Leinart), and the best of them (Carson Palmer) in recent years was never as good as many folks think, more a Vinny T. than a Tom Brady.

That and frankly I don't buy the hype about him based on the little I've seen of his play this year.  I've heard him called the greatest talent since Luck, I don't see what they see apparently.

Of course, the criticisms of someone like Mayfield would also be....lengthy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Warfish said:

So lets Hypothetical:

Sam Darnold, QB, USC (Pick #1/#1)

vs.

Baker Mayfield, QB (#12-15, 2018 Draft)
Mitch Hyatt, OT (#40-45, 2018 Draft)
A Mid-First Round Grade WR or RB, (#12-15, 2019 Draft)
A Mid-First Round Grade O-Lineman, (#12-15, 2020 Draft)

Which would you choose?

I choose Darnold and its not even close because I am high on him and also think Mayfield sucks.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You could sub out Rosen for Darnold, and Falk for Mayfield.  Same view?

To me its Darnold and Rosen miles ahead of the rest with Allen the ultimate high risk/high reward guy with the potential to be the best of the bunch but also a chance of being a bust. I throw out his numbers this year because he has ZERO and i mean zero talent around him. I loved what I saw of him last year and he has all the tools to be an NFL superstar if coached correctly.

I know that Falk is loved around here but I don't see it at all. Not a fan of the gimmicky Leach offense translating to the NFL and I just don't see the arm talent for him to be successful. All in all I want one of Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and am willing to do whatever it takes to get the first two but would happily settle for Allen.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Understood.

I loathe USC QB's because almost all of them suck at the NFL level (Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, Mark Sanchez, BootyBooty!, Matt Leinart), and the best of them (Carson Palmer) in recent years was never as good as many folks think, more a Vinny T. than a Tom Brady.

That and frankly I don't buy the hype about him based on the little I've seen of his play this year.  I've heard him called the greatest talent since Luck, I don't see what they see apparently.

Of course, the criticisms of someone like Mayfield would also be....lengthy.

Except it's not about what some layman fan who doesn't even watch college football thinks. Comparisons are more around Rodgers at Cal fwiw. Btw how have Cal QBs transferred over besides Rodgers. Or Michigan since Brady. or Ohio State, or Florida, or LSU or Alabama. To judge any QB based off the school's history is non-sense. They're not looking at mistakes or dominant in game stats but delivery, release points, arm strength, stature, intelligence. This isn't the USC of old. He's not surrounded by elite talent. The team isn't that great. 

Whether he ends up going #1 or high top 10 is to be seen but please stop with what you can see and or keep pointing at the INTs. Yeah he's forcing the ball. Ok. Maybe he doesn't end up the guy...but there's a lot going for him as an NFL prospect, more so than most QB prospects in recent years. And he'll get carved up more if he enters and as the draft nears. The amount of scrutiny now is ten fold what it was even 5 years ago. The draft even in this forum in 2010 was 10 of the same ole guys now EVERYONE talks about it, everyone has an opinion. There will never be a perfect QB prospect again due to how much more coverage there is now. 

If we want to find something to worry about with Darnold is, he's not looking past his first read right now. That could very well be an issue. But they all have them. Even the NFL greats while they were still in school. 

Your whole argument is, well, this guy isn't clear cut enough for me like Elway, Peyton or Luck. Those days are long gone. 

This team isn't doing sh*t ever until it gets a real 15 year type franchise QB. This is about as good a year as any to get one. The higher the pick the better chance they have to pick the right one. That's just odds, not an automatic seal or guarantee. You're not getting that dude. Give it up. To argue halfway through the season, who's the guy, is pointless. There might be 4 or 5 guys heading into the draft, maybe 2 turn into franchise QBs. Jets need to make sure they get one or I eventually go postal on this sh*t organization. That's all that matters. The QB. Drafting one. Getting it right. And keeping him for the next 15-18 years.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

So lets Hypothetical:

Sam Darnold, QB, USC (Pick #1/#1)

vs.

Baker Mayfield, QB (#12-15, 2018 Draft)
Mitch Hyatt, OT (#40-45, 2018 Draft)
A Mid-First Round Grade WR or RB, (#12-15, 2019 Draft)
A Mid-First Round Grade O-Lineman, (#12-15, 2020 Draft)

Which would you choose?

darnold-signing-day-thumb-800x533-50870.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is truth. His biggest (and debateably only at this point) success has been on picks you could have coached up your 4 year to pick. 

Worse even, he's demonstrated CLEARLY that he has trouble evaluating QB talent. 3 drafts = 1 back up, and another who'll be on top 10 episode of "huh?" draft selection specials. 

So translation = Trade everything to get Josh Rosen, or live with suffering. There's no middle ground. 

Exactly, the people who want to draft the qbs rated 3 down are morons . Take the chance on darnold or Rosen that's it. We're tired of the hack approach , we aren't lucky to hit on a late qb and we don't have the people who can develop them. We need the guy who could perform without too much help

15 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

Exactly, the people who want to draft the qbs rated 3 down are morons . Take the chance on darnold or Rosen that's it. We're tired of the hack approach , we aren't lucky to hit on a late qb and we don't have the people who can develop them. We need the guy who could perform without too much help

It's comments like this that will get you banned. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, except for when that opinion is that anyone who disagrees with them is a moron. Try to make your point without the personal attacks. In fact, if you could tone down your overall aggressive posting style that would be a huge plus. Thanks. 

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is truth. His biggest (and debateably only at this point) success has been on picks you could have coached up your 4 year to pick. 

Worse even, he's demonstrated CLEARLY that he has trouble evaluating QB talent. 3 drafts = 1 back up, and another who'll be on top 10 episode of "huh?" draft selection specials. 

So translation = Trade everything to get Josh Rosen, or live with suffering. There's no middle ground. 

I just don't get this statement. What GM out there is hitting on every QB they attempt to find? Because Petty and Hack haven't turned into starting QBs, I don't see how that warrants a label of not being able to evaluate. But I agree, trade everything to get the top QB if you can. There's a reason so many teams do it, because finding one after the top 1 or 2 is mostly a hail mary. 

3 hours ago, Pennington said:

John Dorsey has a proven track record of finding good football players. He is responsible for the Chiefs roster being elite so I would trust him to find us a QB. 

What franchise quarterbacks has he drafted?  That's the biggest concern here.  Some people don't want Mac to make the Jets' first round pick because it should be a QB, and while he has drafted Leo, Adams, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Maye, McGuire, Stewart and several other young players for whom the jury is still out, the concern is that he drafted Hack and Petty, so therefore he should not be allowed to choose a franchise QB.

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Todd Haley's due for round 2

Has he ever been a GM before?  What QB's did he draft who make him worthy of being given the keys to a team that will be taking a QB in the top 10?

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I just don't get this statement. What GM out there is hitting on every QB they attempt to find? Because Petty and Hack haven't turned into starting QBs, I don't see how that warrants a label of not being able to evaluate. But I agree, trade everything to get the top QB if you can. There's a reason so many teams do it, because finding one after the top 1 or 2 is mostly a hail mary. 

I think Hackenberg is more troubling than you're recognizing. He's not just a draft pick that didn't turn into a starter, he's a second round pick that looks completely unable to play at this level. The only reason he has a roster spot is because the GM made a colossal mistake. The fact that someone so ill prepared and unable to play was picked so high is troubling. 

Petty, while never seemingly the type to translate, is a 4th round pick who looks like he's got a solid career as a backup. No harm there.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Well... It is and it isn't... You've got about 14 current teams that found their QB within the top 4... Or 11 within that top 2. So pretty good percentage.

The others were all found in later rounds though... So of course, the odds drop for sure. You're looking at a lot more picks along the way after the top 2... But they're there.

Alo the guys taken in those later rounds have had more playoff/super bowl success, so far of course... You've got Manning within that top 10 there, and that's it... Meanwhile you have Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Flacco who have all won a SB.

So yes... You get a QB within the top 2 with better odds... But I don't think I'd call it a Hail Mary to look outside of that. And even if it is, there's some good evidence that it's worth the shot. 

Team Round Pick Name
Bucs 1 1 Winston
Cards 1 1 Palmer
Chiefs 1 1 Smith
Colts 1 1 Luck
Giants 1 1 Manning
Lions 1 1 Stanford
Panthers 1 1 Newton
Rams 1 1 Goff
Vikings (2) 1 1 Bradford
Eagles 1 2 Wentz
Titans 1 2 Mariota
Falcons 1 3 Ryan
Jags 1 3 Bortles
Chargers 1 4 Rivers
Dolphins (2) 1 9 Tannehill 
Dolphins 1 11 Cutler
Steelers 1 11 Roethlisberger 
Texans 1 12 Watson
Ravens 1 18 Flacco
Packers 1 24 Rodgers
Vikings 1 32 Bridgewater
Saints 2 32 Brees
Bengals 2 35 Dalton
Raiders 2 36 Carr
Browns 2 52 Kizer
Bears 3 73 Glennon
Seahwaks 3 75 Wilson
Jets 3 81 McCown
Redskins 4 102 Cousins
Cowboys 4 135 Prescott
Bills 6 180 Taylor
Pats 6 199 Brady
Bronocs 7 250 Siemian
49ers NA NA Hoyer

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Except it's not about what some layman fan who doesn't even watch college football thinks. Comparisons are more around Rodgers at Cal fwiw. Btw how have Cal QBs transferred over besides Rodgers. Or Michigan since Brady. or Ohio State, or Florida, or LSU or Alabama. To judge any QB based off the school's history is non-sense. They're not looking at mistakes or dominant in game stats but delivery, release points, arm strength, stature, intelligence. This isn't the USC of old. He's not surrounded by elite talent. The team isn't that great. 

Whether he ends up going #1 or high top 10 is to be seen but please stop with what you can see and or keep pointing at the INTs. Yeah he's forcing the ball. Ok. Maybe he doesn't end up the guy...but there's a lot going for him as an NFL prospect, more so than most QB prospects in recent years. And he'll get carved up more if he enters and as the draft nears. The amount of scrutiny now is ten fold what it was even 5 years ago. The draft even in this forum in 2010 was 10 of the same ole guys now EVERYONE talks about it, everyone has an opinion. There will never be a perfect QB prospect again due to how much more coverage there is now. 

If we want to find something to worry about with Darnold is, he's not looking past his first read right now. That could very well be an issue. But they all have them. Even the NFL greats while they were still in school. 

Your whole argument is, well, this guy isn't clear cut enough for me like Elway, Peyton or Luck. Those days are long gone. 

This team isn't doing sh*t ever until it gets a real 15 year type franchise QB. This is about as good a year as any to get one. The higher the pick the better chance they have to pick the right one. That's just odds, not an automatic seal or guarantee. You're not getting that dude. Give it up. To argue halfway through the season, who's the guy, is pointless. There might be 4 or 5 guys heading into the draft, maybe 2 turn into franchise QBs. Jets need to make sure they get one or I eventually go postal on this sh*t organization. That's all that matters. The QB. Drafting one. Getting it right. And keeping him for the next 15-18 years.

I'm not going to change your mind, right?

We're not going to have the #1 overall pick, right?

So rather than debate this endlessly (and pointlessly), I respect you think what you do (even if you don't not respect what others think if it's critical of Darnold), and we can leave it at that.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think Hackenberg is more troubling than you're recognizing. He's not just a draft pick that didn't turn into a starter, he's a second round pick that looks completely unable to play at this level. The only reason he has a roster spot is because the GM made a colossal mistake. The fact that someone so ill prepared and unable to play was picked so high is troubling. 

Petty, while never seemingly the type to translate, is a 4th round pick who looks like he's got a solid career as a backup. No harm there.

I don't think it's as troubling as you're making it out to be. Hackenberg was the biggest question mark in the draft of where he'd end up. There were differing opinions from everyone. Mayock kept putting him in and out of the top QB rankings behind Goff, Wentz and Lynch. PFF said they have undraftable grade I believe. I saw projected rounds 2-3, low 1st, end of the draft. All over the board. It was a matter of what your FO thought of him and who is willing to take that risk.  

So far it looks like it's a total whiff. So he's 1 for 1. I don't see why he can't learn from those and why he wouldn't be able to make the right decision going forward if he was in position to do so. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm not going to change your mind, right?

We're not going to have the #1 overall pick, right?

So rather than debate this endlessly (and pointlessly), I respect you think what you do (even if you don't not respect what others think if it's critical of Darnold), and we can leave it at that.

The point, really, is whether it's Darnold or somebody else, the Jets are wasting away on a couple extra wins, getting the best QB prospect. And also, that anyone of our opinions on any QB prospect on October 13th, is a waste of breath. Maybe Darnold slides or stays another year. Yes, The conversation is futile. It has nothing to do with respecting people's opinions 

On 10/12/2017 at 4:58 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Most of this board is of the trade down mentality.

Most of this board is of the losing gambler mentality. The draft is a crapshoot so just do whatever because it doesn't matter all that much. You know what happens to that guy? His lunch gets eaten by the guy who understands that the variance makes fighting for every percentage point more rather than less important.

So the level zero thinking is you got this quarterback at 1 and this other quarterback at 12 and they're pretty much the same thing, right, but you get all this other stuff with the second-choice guy so that's that. The allure of this is of course that it's easy. You don't have to get into bothersome stuff like your chances of hitting at 1 as opposed to at 12 and what the correct price actually is for accepting those decreased odds.

4 hours ago, slats said:

It's comments like this that will get you banned. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, except for when that opinion is that anyone who disagrees with them is a moron. Try to make your point without the personal attacks. In fact, if you could tone down your overall aggressive posting style that would be a huge plus. Thanks. 

I meant the people in position to draft not the posters , should've been more precise my bad

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

What franchise quarterbacks has he drafted?  That's the biggest concern here.  Some people don't want Mac to make the Jets' first round pick because it should be a QB, and while he has drafted Leo, Adams, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Maye, McGuire, Stewart and several other young players for whom the jury is still out, the concern is that he drafted Hack and Petty, so therefore he should not be allowed to choose a franchise QB.

I think Dorsey was in Green Bay when they drafted Rodgers but the fact remains that he is a proven elite evaluator of talent so I would trust him way more than Maccagnan who has far more hits than misses at all positions.

6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I understand. And you're right - even the best don't have crystal balls to see the future.

But Hackenberg.

Do we really need to revisit that circumstances surrounding that? That in of itself shows a glaring lack of perspective. 

The point, really, is whether it's Darnold or somebody else, the Jets are wasting away on a couple extra wins, getting the best QB prospect.

"Wasting away"

Your premise is flawed.  NFL teams do not tank, no matter what fans think.

The Jets are doing what all teams do, trying to win games.

Tanking on purpose is fan talk.  Not real talk.

And also, that anyone of our opinions on any QB prospect on October 13th, is a waste of breath. Maybe Darnold slides or stays another year. Yes, The conversation is futile. It has nothing to do with respecting people's opinions 

Yes, it is futile.  And pointless.  The draft will come when it comes, it's hard to see the point in all this angst before then.

the bitch of the draft, of course, is you don't know what anybody is "worth" until 3 years after the draft

I tried to run a "foundation" (QB,Edge,LT) draft using those mock draft simulators last year, and they all sucked according to the experts.  Little did I know Watson was the pick at 6...

So in the end, since you don't know what any player is going to turn out to be, you just have to have a plan to get a QB on a cheap rookie deal and build around him

No team is really complete anymore, and any team paying a QB $20 million isn't even close to complete

The best predictor or Superbowl success is usually passer rating differential

Get the QB, rush the QB, protect the QB

that should be Big Mac attacks obsession

I would even be ok with getting super legit Edge rusher. We haven't has one since Abraham, which is actually worse than the QB situation

Just please let our reward for this season be something exciting to watch !!!!

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Wasting away"

Yes, it is futile.  And pointless.  The draft will come when it comes, it's hard to see the point in all this angst before then.

the owner can tank

see Irsay, Jim

On 10/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The going rate to move up for a consensus #1 overall talent QB prospect is still too low. This is an economically factual thing. As framed the prompt seems to be more about feelings.

Personally I don’t have a problem trading a couple #1s to move up if the prospect is all that. I kind of expected this to turn into a “is the #1 pick worth multiple #1 picks or not” thread, even though it was clearly directed just at those who would not give up a couple of #1s to trade up in the first place. No big deal. I just wanted to see if there was any consistency with the “nope, not worth it” crowd.

IMO if we’ve scouted the QB right (lol), and he’s really worth the #1 pick (instead of just being the best of a trash QB draft class), he’s more likely to have at least an above-average career with a good 10-12 year span playing in his prime. That’s more than enough time to not look back with regret at the extra high picks burned way back when. Especially if we’re drafting ILBs, safeties, and redundant DE-DTs with those 1st round picks (even high 1st round picks) anyway.

Not to mention, a QB drafted that high is geting at least 2 years’ worth of chances. By the time it’s clear beyond any doubt that he isn’t all that, if he does end up being a bust, we’re back to having our full stock of 1st round picks and a GM can then take a shot on another high-pick QB prospect without much controversy. While the extra picks you lost only compounded the initial whiff, they weren’t making a total bust QB into a SB champ either.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:20 PM, Warfish said:

"Wasting away"

Everybody gets the team is trying to win. Jeez dude. Captain obvious.

On 10/13/2017 at 6:09 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Most of this board is of the losing gambler mentality. The draft is a crapshoot so just do whatever because it doesn't matter all that much. You know what happens to that guy? His lunch gets eaten by the guy who understands that the variance makes fighting for every percentage point more rather than less important.

So the level zero thinking is you got this quarterback at 1 and this other quarterback at 12 and they're pretty much the same thing, right, but you get all this other stuff with the second-choice guy so that's that. The allure of this is of course that it's easy. You don't have to get into bothersome stuff like your chances of hitting at 1 as opposed to at 12 and what the correct price actually is for accepting those decreased odds.

Ah.  The Quinton Coples Theory.  Bruce Irvin and Quinton Coples are the same player, so as long as we get one, who cares. The Seahawks traded up for Irvin and the Jets wet themselves instead of taking the Steelers picks for Decastro.  Two edge guys with the biggest bust potential.  We could have guessed which one was going to be better.

Didn't Belichick tell Dimitroff that Julio Jones and Jonathan Baldwin were essentially the same player?

Archived