Amari Cooper

AFJF

Crazy how invisible he's been this season.

Saw Ross Tucker suggest the other day that he may have done the same thing David Boston did.  Got too muscular and cost him some of that fluidity/smoothness he had.

Through five games, he has 13 catches for 118 and a TD.  I think Kerley and Kearse are both having better seasons than him.

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He was the guy I wanted the Jets to draft.  I thought he was the next Julio Jones.  Now it seems like the Jets got a huge break by the Raiders taking him.

He was not a Julio Jones type.  Route-runner plus great hands-like a better Eric Decker.   Still very good his first couple of years out.  

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

If we only lost more games.....

The 20/20 draft experts on this site. Does any player get a chance to IMPROVE or does every Jet we draft have to play like a pro bowler instantly? I have liked what I've seen so far from Mac because no GM is perfect but I truly believe that he sees a big picture, understands he can't do it in 1 offseason & will learn from his free agent mistakes that lead up to 2016 Debacle. 

We're gonna have some high picks coming & that extra 2nd is sweet. A lot of good football players drop into that late 2nd round area. Great value. We're gonna have over 100 million to spend because I see no way in hell the Mo stays with his production, cut him & add another 11 million. He really is just another DT, plenty of guys can do what he's done in 5 games this year. I love the Jets progression & im sure Macc will make much smarter choices this off season with all of that money. Bridgewater fits the WCO very well if he's healthy.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Crazy how invisible he's been this season.

Saw Ross Tucker suggest the other day that he may have done the same thing David Boston did.  Got too muscular and cost him some of that fluidity/smoothness he had.

Through five games, he has 13 catches for 118 and a TD.  I think Kerley and Kearse are both having better seasons than him.

Traded him for a 2nd round pick for next year after the first game in my 12-team fantasy league. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Inexplicable. I was certain he would be an absolute stud. He still may be, I guess, but this is pretty alarming.

Probably just a slow start. Back to back thousand plus yard seasons. I wouldn’t get to worked up about it. He’s still more talented than any receiver on the Jets roster. 

He has been struggling with drops through the beginning of the year and hasn't been able to catch touchdowns, which has always been his problem.  The significant difference between him and guys like Julio Jones and AJ Green is the touchdowns; through 2 years, Cooper 11, Jones 18, Green 18.  But the yardage production and receptions has been there.  He is also younger in his third year than Green and Jones were.  This has been a disappointing 3rd year (which is suppose to be a break out year for wide receivers) but the talent still seems to be there.

Year Age Games Targets Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng Catch % (Rec/Targets)
Amari Cooper 2015 21 16 130 72 1070 14.9 6 68 55.4%
Amari Cooper 2016 22 16 132 83 1153 13.9 5 64 62.9%
Amari Cooper 2017 23 5 33 13 118 9.1 1 23 39.4%
AJ Green 2011 23 15 115 65 1057 16.3 7 58 56.5%
AJ Green 2012 24 16 164 97 1350 13.9 11 73 59.1%
AJ Green 2013 25 16 178 98 1426 14.6 11 82 55.1%
Julio Jones 2011 22 13 95 54 959 17.8 8 80 56.8%
Julio Jones 2012 23 16 128 79 1198 15.2 10 80 61.7%
Julio Jones 2013 24 5 59 41 580 14.1 2 81 69.5%

Comments on the last game by Del Rio: 

“I saw five wide open, shook his guy, was open in space. I would have loved to see that ball get delivered to him there,” Del Rio said when asked if Cooper was having trouble getting separation.

“Not every play is designed to go to him (Cooper). You can’t see everybody at one time . . . He was doing his part to create space and opportunity for the quarterback. We just missed him a couple of times,” Del Rio surmised.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He was the guy I wanted the Jets to draft.  I thought he was the next Julio Jones.  Now it seems like the Jets got a huge break by the Raiders taking him.

The dude came out a year early and had over 1,000 yards his rookie season (at age 21 and what should have been his senior year at Alabama) and made the Pro Bowl.  He follows that up with another Pro Bowl year.

You guys are ridiculous.

In the history of the NFL, there have been 3 WRs who have had 70+ catches and 1,000+ receiving yards in each of their first two seasons in the league.  Amari Cooper is one of those 3. 

He is struggling this year, but not even close to a draft bust. 

If anyone is interested, Odell Beckham and Marques Colston are the other two.

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Probably just a slow start. Back to back thousand plus yard seasons. I wouldn’t get to worked up about it. He’s still more talented than any receiver on the Jets roster. 

Hmm...I didn't realize he was so good last year. I retract my comment!

2 hours ago, Lith said:

In the history of the NFL, there have been 3 WRs who have had 70+ catches and 1,000+ receiving yards in each of their first two seasons in the league.  Amari Cooper is one of those 3. 

Dropping knowledge!  

2 hours ago, Lith said:

This was kind of mind blowing for some reason.  So I spot checked you and it looks of all the greats you could think of Randy Moss was 1 reception away his rookie season and AJ Green was 5 his rookie year.  Nobody else close really.

Buy Low, lol.  

I'm not sure if he's hurt, but I would take him top 5 moving forward at WR if I was building a team (taking age/contract).  One of the best at maintaining speed with his breaks, which cause CBs to commit so hard, opening them up for big plays with double moves. 

For drafting purposes, Calvin Ridley reminds me a TON of Cooper.  

Archived