Time to bench Mo for the season

AFJF

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

He was voted as a top 100 player two years, and a top 50 player one year, if I remember correctly. His peers saw him as a premier player (NFL Network's player rankings, voted on by the players). 

He got paid gave up trying. It's not that's he's crap, he just doesn't care anymore $.

1 hour ago, jetgreen13 said:

link??

never mind, actually, i don't give a **** anymore.....

Brian Costello @BrianCoz

Muhammad Wilkerson, dealing with shoulder sprain, had pain-killing shots to play each of the last 2 weeks. Expected to have another 1 today

11:17 AM · Oct 1, 2017

MO is injured and needs pain shots to play

2 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

What a **** up by Mac .He trades Sheldon then most likely cut mo , wtf, we were supposed to keep one . Now these idiots are gonna take another dline man in first round like the other hundred times. Should've never traded Sheldon I knew we were gonna regret it.It doesn't matter if the guy is an a$$hole , if he produces and helps win games it could fly.

1st of all he traded Sheldon for a good reason and got back a legit starter plus more.

2.) we weren't signing Richardson and that was obvious from the start.

3.) ...You are actually blaming Macc for something he hasn't done? Did you really jus say he screwed up for something he'll "most likely" do? Holy sh*t. Why did I respond? 

4.) you are a troll.

6 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Brian Costello @BrianCoz

Muhammad Wilkerson, dealing with shoulder sprain, had pain-killing shots to play each of the last 2 weeks. Expected to have another 1 today

...well thanks for the utterly unsubstantiated "link" i already said i don't give a **** about any more..

here's my solution.. put wilkerson on IR.. that way, if @BrianCoz so chooses, he can then report about how many, how little, or no pain shots wilkerson takes for the rest of the season.. with again, me not giving a ****..

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

If they’re trying to compete, that’s one more reason to sit him.  Completely invisible out there.  Averaging two tackles a game and no sacks.  Zero effort.

the stat line can be said of leo too.  want to sit him?  imo the dline is being used to contain the qb first and open gaps for the lb's to make the plays. they got decent pressure on kizer and hogan.  not saying wilk isn't an overpaid slug just that it could be the scheme.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Much like the Redskins did with RG III a couple seasons ago to avoid a huge salary obligation if he was injured, any season-ending injury to Mo will mean the Jets are on the hook for his $16.7 million next season.  Anyone doubt for one second that he'll fake an injury over the next week or two?

Per Brian Costello:

Here is one thing to watch: Wilkerson’s $16.75 million salary in 2018 is guaranteed for injury. That means if Wilkerson suffers a serious, season-ending injury this year, the Jets will be on the hook for him and he won’t be going anywhere. It is something to watch as Wilkerson is already dealing with shoulder and toe injuries. Neither of them appear to be overly serious right now, but Jets coach Todd Bowles did not rule out surgery on the toe when asked about it this week.

honestly, putting mo on IR is addition by subtraction.   I get that his shoulder is hurt but that shouldn't stop him from chasing after the play.   the dude stopped trying before the ink was dry on his contract.   putting him on IR at least sends a message to the rest of the team that effort matters.   bowles will never bench him so it's going to take a front office move to force bowles hand.   mo is literally the only player on the team that doesn't put in effort this year - huge positive change from last year.   

3 hours ago, jetgreen13 said:

...well thanks for the utterly unsubstantiated "link" i already said i don't give a **** about any more..

here's my solution.. put wilkerson on IR.. that way, if @BrianCoz so chooses, he can then report about how many, how little, or no pain shots wilkerson takes for the rest of the season.. with again, me not giving a ****..

Damn just answering what you asked previously. The guy is a beat writer so not sure why it's utterly unsubstantiated.  Just saying the guy is playing with an injury which is probably why he's not performing. Not trying to say anything else 

4 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

honestly, putting mo on IR is addition by subtraction.   I get that his shoulder is hurt but that shouldn't stop him from chasing after the play.   the dude stopped trying before the ink was dry on his contract.   putting him on IR at least sends a message to the rest of the team that effort matters.   bowles will never bench him so it's going to take a front office move to force bowles hand.   mo is literally the only player on the team that doesn't put in effort this year - huge positive change from last year.   

Putting him on IR now creates an additional cap charge of $14 million next season.

Benching him before he gets injured allows them to cut him during the offseason and save that same $14 million, a $28 million swing.

41 minutes ago, j4jets said:

But what a great job Mac has done so far!

I say it all the time. Woodys biggest mistake was not hiring one of the many GMs who were guaranteed to never make a mistake.  There are so many out there...why didn’t he get one of them?

Thanks, Woody.

6 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Damn just answering what you asked previously. The guy is a beat writer so not sure why it's utterly unsubstantiated.  Just saying the guy is playing with an injury which is probably why he's not performing. Not trying to say anything else 

my bad, i wasn't trying to be nasty.. essentially after stating i no longer give a ****, the question became rhetorical..

bottom line, wilkerson should never take another snap for the jets, ever again.. everything that can be done to get out from under this epic fail contract, should be done..

10 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Brian Costello @BrianCoz

I need pain shots to watch him play.

Hold  on guys hear me out.  How all of a sudden is Mo Wilk a JAG?  Kacy Rodgers is part to blame in all this he has single handily ruined Sheldon Richardson here and now Mo Wilk?  Something is wrong. 

Seattle is helping ruin Sheldon now I suspect his next team will also continue this trend. Sheldon is one of those great players who never seems to play great...must be an NFL conspiracy here.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Putting him on IR now creates an additional cap charge of $14 million next season.

Benching him before he gets injured allows them to cut him during the offseason and save that same $14 million, a $28 million swing.

Why would IR create a cap charge?  He can still be cut at the start of the '18 league year. 

20 hours ago, jetgreen13 said:

regardless of how much sense it makes (& it makes plenty) to sit, then cut wilkerson during the off season, i don't believe for a nanosecond bowles will bench him.. my guess is he would need to be mandated to do so..

history has shown, that bowles has no issues with playing & staying with underachieving/coasting big name veterans..

Those over the head of Bowles should make the call then.

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Why would IR create a cap charge?  He can still be cut at the start of the '18 league year. 

Per Costello, IR this season triggers guarantee of ‘18 salary, similar to what ‘Skins has with RG III a couple seasons ago, which is why they kept him inactive.

No IR but keeping him inactive means they can cut him with $3 mil cap hit.

19 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Brutal to even be discussing this. Local kid that we drafted and developed, and our best player for several years, and now we're talking about benching him. I'm disgusted by this ******* guy. 

I think most of us are.  We expected great things from him for years to come, but barring the FO or CS finding a way to light a fire under his ass, he's happy to hang around and keep hammering those checks.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:21 PM, AFJF said:

Much like the Redskins did with RG III a couple seasons ago to avoid a huge salary obligation if he was injured, any season-ending injury to Mo will mean the Jets are on the hook for his $16.7 million next season.  Anyone doubt for one second that he'll fake an injury over the next week or two?

Per Brian Costello:

Here is one thing to watch: Wilkerson’s $16.75 million salary in 2018 is guaranteed for injury. That means if Wilkerson suffers a serious, season-ending injury this year, the Jets will be on the hook for him and he won’t be going anywhere. It is something to watch as Wilkerson is already dealing with shoulder and toe injuries. Neither of them appear to be overly serious right now, but Jets coach Todd Bowles did not rule out surgery on the toe when asked about it this week.

I would bench him for rest of season and let him go. He is useless. A disgrace and a good lesson to remember. 

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Pretty sure that the players union would have a very big issue not playing a player just for the sake of having the ability to cut him the following because of salary implications. And the players union would rightfully win that case.

Sorry. NO. Yes the player's union may be upset, but the team only needs to pay the player. They don't have to play him. They can bench him so he won't get hurt, or he isn't playing well, or to give a youngster more time, or they don't like him.

Buffalo did the same thing with Taylor, didn't they? Skins did the same thing with RGIII, no?

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Sorry. NO. Yes the player's union may be upset, but the team only needs to pay the player. They don't have to play him. They can bench him so he won't get hurt, or he isn't playing well, or to give a youngster more time, or they don't like him.

Buffalo did the same thing with Taylor, didn't they? Skins did the same thing with RGIII, no?

You are correct.  Despite what a few ill informed fans may believe, NFL teams are completely within their right to bench players who are not performing well.  Their salary or draft slot does not give them some inherent right to be in the lineup or to go to court if they are not.

Mo is playing poorly enough to be benched in a far less egregious way than RG III was with the Redskins.

Archived