Would be a nice consolation price for a few wins.

Baker Mayfield and the Sooners just took down Texas. He went 17/27 2 TD's and 1 interception. Over 300 yards. The Sooners are now 5-1 on the season. His resume is actually stunning...

2013 - he only started 8 games but completed 64% 2315 yards, 12 TD's, 9 INT's,(Okay rook was getting his feet wet.)

2014 - didn't play. But light must clicked because the next year....oh man..

2015 - 68% completed 36 TD's to 7 INT's, 3,700 yards, 

2016 - 70.9% completed 40 TD's, 8 INT's, 3,965 yards.

2017 - so far.. completing 74.6% for 1,365 yards 15 TD's .. ZERO INT's. (First one thrown tonight. Stats site didn't update yet)

100 completions out 134 attempts. WOW.

Yards/Attempt have also went up every year from 

2013 - 6.8

2015- 9.4

2016- 11.1

2017 - 12.2

I know the system isn't a pro system and there are concerns about his height because a he's 6'1 but so is Drew Bree's..Russ Wilson.. I like this kid a lot and if winning a few games still has us in a position to get him as much as I still DROOL over Rosen as a prospect...we need Baker if worse comes to worse.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Stats mean nothing 

Does he feel the rush, move around in the pocket and extend the play? 

Does he get to a 2nd read? 

Does he take a hit to make a completion and then just get up? 

Does he show touch and accuracy? 

Awareness? 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Stats mean nothing 

Awareness? 

Completely agree on the criteria. I would go as far as to say yes! Coming out of the read option is interesting though. Are the mechanics there? Ability to call plays? That's why he isn't quite  Rosen but I think he can be an absolutely fantastic pro QB. Watson has done well, surprisingly.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Stats mean nothing 

Awareness? 

ALL of the above. The guy walked on at 2 different fooball programs and WON THE STARTING JOB. He's tough, smart, and has that gunslinger mentality a successful NFL QB needs. The only knock on him is his height as he is listed at different heights on his bio and school website. Mayfield has to be part of the conversation come draft time.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Completely agree on the criteria. I would go as far as to say yes! Coming out of the read option is interesting though. Are the mechanics there? Ability to call plays? That's why he isn't quite  Rosen but I think he can be an absolutely fantastic pro QB. Watson has done well, surprisingly.

Do you watch him a lot? He seems to have some magic in him as well. 

I have only seen him briefly

Love Baker Mayfield. He played great and knocked off OSU in prime time on the road and then planted OU’s flag at midfield.
He showed energy and passion all game long. Could go mid first to second round and regardless of where we pick we should have a shot at him. He or Lamar Jackson should be there. They’re probably more of projects but the potential is there and have a shot at being better than the more highly touted guys.

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Do you watch him a lot? He seems to have some magic in him as well. 

I have only seen him briefly

Not very often no, but I have caught a few games this year and a few last. Just was really shocked by how well he has done in the stats column and wins column(as much as I agree stats in college are very skewed) I was just not expecting to see such gaudy numbers(most impressive being completion percentage). 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, JiF said:

If the Jets passed on Watson and Mahomes only to draft Baker Mayfield the following season, I would be very unhappy and probably say mean things about the Jets. 

....Mahomes played for Texas Tech...the same Texas Tech that Mayfield wrecked. Mahomes didn't put up numbers like this. He don't have this much starting experience. Watson? Okay. But what are you saying!? Lol.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

....Mahomes played for Texas Tech...the same Texas Tech that Mayfield wrecked. Mahomes didn't put up numbers like this. He don't have this much starting experience. Watson? Okay. But what are you saying!? Lol.

Baker Mayfield HAD to leave Texas Tech because Mahomes took his starting job, it was leave, or never play QB again.  Oh, and did you happen to check out Mahomes pass stats in that Oklahoma game you pictured above?  And he did that without 1 NFL prospect on offense, while Mayfield had Dede Westbrook, Joe Mixon, Samaji Perine who are 3 guys playing on Sunday's, or would be if not injured.  PS Mahomes broke the record for most yards ever thrown in a game if you don't feel like going back, and looking!  Baker Mayfield can't hold Pat Mahomes jock!

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wait, Wha?  Did you not look at the other QB in the game you posted?  I think you should learn more about Mahomes in college.

What I’m saying is, Baker Mayfield isn’t half the prospect of either of those 2 QBs.  He’s like a cross between Johnny Manziel and Danny Wuerffel.   

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Baker Mayfield HAD to leave Texas Tech because Mahomes took his starting job, it was leave, or never play QB again.  Oh, and did you happen to check out Mahomes pass stats in that Oklahoma game you pictured above?  And he did that without 1 NFL prospect on offense, while Mayfield had Dede Westbrook, Joe Mixon, Samaji Perine who are 3 guys playing on Sunday's, or would be if not injured.  PS Mahomes broke the record for most yards ever thrown in a game if you don't feel like going back, and looking!  Baker Mayfield can't hold Pat Mahomes jock!

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wait, Wha?  Did you not look at the other QB in the game you posted?  I think you should learn more about Mahomes in college.

What I’m saying is, Baker Mayfield isn’t half the prospect of either of those 2 QBs.  He’s like a cross between Johnny Manziel and Danny Wuerffel.   

OK. I can admit when I have been defeated. I know very little about Mahomes compared to you two. But you don't think you are downing him just a bit too hard? What he has accomplished means that little? 

I am very impressed, personally.

• Upvote 1

It's easy to like Mayfield.  He plays his best during the biggest games.  The int he threw today was his first of the year.  Plus he is accurate as hell, great pocket presence and his yards per attempt is sick this year.

Problem is the OL at OK gives him all day to throw.  That's how he can connect on the long TD passes.  Not sure how he'll handle working on the next level when he's getting hit every play.  Plus he is probably the smallest QB out of the top 6 guys.

And let's not forget his off the field trouble he has had.  Not saying that is a deal breaker but if drafted in the 1st, he's the face of the franchise.

At this point he should be in the conversation as a mid to late first until he is ruled out by the process.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Pcola said:

It's easy to like Mayfield.  He plays his best during the biggest games.  The int he threw today was his first of the year.  Plus he is accurate as hell, great pocket presence and his yards per attempt is sick this year.

Problem is the OL at OK gives him all day to throw.  That's how he can connect on the long TD passes.  Not sure how he'll handle working on the next level when he's getting hit every play.  Plus he is probably the smallest QB out of the top 6 guys.

And let's not forget his off the field trouble he has had.  Not saying that is a deal breaker but if drafted in the 1st, he's the face of the franchise.

At this point he should be in the conversation as a mid to late first until he is ruled out by the process.

I think he's going to be a great player.  Great accuracy and "It" factor is mostly all I need to hype me up. He's got the arm. He's got the smarts. Very solid starting experience. I'm hopping on the Mayfield train as of right now.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, JiF said:

If the Jets passed on Watson and Mahomes only to draft Baker Mayfield the following season, I would be very unhappy and probably say mean things about the Jets. 

Same here.  I was 100% against drafting Watson but I definitely did want us to draft Mahomes.  Water under the bridge though.  FitzCown it is!