Post your theories as to why Bryce Petty won't start next week.

T0mShane

Just now, Lupz27 said:

The Jets are an Average HC, and Average QB from being a very good team, good enough to actually win the AFC East, shame we have neither.

Sure but the guys they're playing these close games with are mostly (mostly...) young and hungry players with potential... This isn't last year or the year before when they were competitive with a bunch of 33+ year olds.

It is a shame they don't have a QB to guide this team... But what's starting to stand out is a really solid core and young foundation who will be there when the answer at QB shows up... That's a good thing!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DMan77 said:

Sure but the guys they're playing these close games with are mostly (mostly...) young and hungry players with potential... This isn't last year or the year before when they were competitive with a bunch of 33+ year olds.

It is a shame they don't have a QB to guide this team... But what's starting to stand out is a really solid core and young foundation who will be there when the answer at QB shows up... That's a good thing!

I kind of think I said the same thing, average HC, average QB the Jets are a really good team is what my post was meant to say.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I kind of think I said the same thing, average HC, average QB the Jets are a really good team is what my post was meant to say.

Hah oops sorry. I'm so used to arguing with people who think the wins are pointless. I hear ya. 

2 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I love that the team is scrappy and appears to give a damn. But it looks like this game provided some people with some more false hope. There are simply too few playmakers on this team for it to mean anything for this year.

True! But it also depends on what you're looking at for meaning... For me the 'meaning' I was looking for or hoping to find coming into this season was to see if we had any young, hungry, core players that could help form a foundation for the next era... So from that end this season definitely has meaning for me! There's guys on this team right now that we're going to watch play, and play well, for a long time. I'm excited about that, even though we don't have the complete team and playmakers to compete for the crown right now.  

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

How do you not call Timeout after 2 and 10 on the Pats last drive?  Also the fact that Fitz, and McCown are his hand picked QB's are enough for hate.

I'm pretty sure the timeouts were used correctly, because they only had 1 left. The mistake is only having 1 left with a veteran QB.

Hand picked? Mac is the one who signed them. Coaches play the best 11. You should be upset with Mac for signing McCown.

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes I was being completely sarcastic.  I think we all want to see either Petty or Hack in there.  Personally I want to see Hack but would be fine with giving Petty a shot first.  Basically anything other than FitzClown would be fine.

Man, you really are committed to the tank, aren't you?

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I just don't understand the Bowles hate at all. 

It'd be nice if the organization ever understood that under no circumstance do you use your timeouts in the second half with more than 4 minutes left in the game. Take the delay of game for christs sakes. Dont burn TO's ever.

Because the Jets are 3-3 and regardless of what the fans think or want, still have something to play for. Starting Petty would be a huge F You to everyone in the locker room.

If they keep losing like everyone thinks, he'll get his shot(the one he already had that apparently wasn't enough).

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Man, you really are committed to the tank, aren't you?

I'm not really a believer in Petty and we already know what McCown is.  At least Hack is a young QB who was once very highly regarded.  Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle.  Worst case, we stink but at least we know we have nothing at QB and we make it our #1 priority this offseason.

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

I'm pretty sure the timeouts were used correctly, because they only had 1 left. The mistake is only having 1 left with a veteran QB.

Hand picked? Mac is the one who signed them. Coaches play the best 11. You should be upset with Mac for signing McCown.

No they were not, if you call TO after the 2, and 10 run play you know the Pats trust Brady to pass the ball to win the game right there (and yes on 3rd down they passed the ball) you get an incomplete pass 4th down with almost 3 minutes to go, no timeouts, but the 2 minute warning, but the Jets got the ball back with 2:10 1 timeout the 2 minute warning, which happened after an incomplete pass so it was irrelevant.  The final 3 minutes were handled poorly from a coaching stand point.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

How do you not call Timeout after 2 and 10 on the Pats last drive?  Also the fact that Fitz, and McCown are his hand picked QB's are enough for hate.

Because they only had one timeout, because they needed them earlier in the 3rd quarter, because "veteran leadership".

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

No they were not, if you call TO after the 2, and 10 run play you know the Pats trust Brady to pass the ball to win the game right there (and yes on 3rd down they passed the ball) you get an incomplete pass 4th down with almost 3 minutes to go, no timeouts, but the 2 minute warning, but the Jets got the ball back with 2:10 1 timeout the 2 minute warning, which happened after an incomplete pass so it was irrelevant.  The final 3 minutes were handled poorly from a coaching stand point.

If you used the final TO today before the 2 minute warning, then the pats could have ran the clock to the 2 minute warning. It was going to the 2 minute warning either way.

If you save it, you have the TO after the 2 minute warning.

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

2 timeouts wasted in less than a 30 second span not half-way through the 3rd quarter in a game which they are down 2 scores.

Agreed. Bad and worst when you have a veteran QB.

However this is not a Bowles or Jet problem as I"m sure it's happened to the best coaches ever at one point or another.

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

If you used the final TO today before the 2 minute warning, then the pats could have ran the clock to the 2 minute warning. It was going to the 2 minute warning either way.

If you save it, you have the TO after the 2 minute warning.

IF the Pats ran the ball on 3rd and 10 they pretty much concede giving you the ball back at the 2 minute warning so it's a win win.

Just now, RESNewYork said:

However this is not a Bowles or Jet problem as I"m sure it's happened to the best coaches ever at one point or another.

This doesnt happen to the Patriots because Belichick simply tells the team not to use timeouts in the second half. Take the delay of game. Losing 5 yards is better than burning a TO in a close game against a good offense especially.

9 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Because the Jets starting a quarterback without actual promise is the very lynchpin that holds the fabric of our society together. Without that, the ramifications on a geo-politcal level would be catastrophic at the very best. 

The writers of that new movie "Geostorm" have better vision for excellence than this front office.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This doesnt happen to the Patriots because Belichick simply tells the team not to use timeouts in the second half. Take the delay of game. Losing 5 yards is better than burning a TO in a close game against a good offense especially.

I assume this has happened to Belly at one point or another. As well as every coach in the league.

And you  know that is a Belly strategy? To take the 5 yard penalty in the 2nd half?

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

It's not a Bowles problem when clock and timeout management has been an ongoing, systemic problem nearly every game of his entire tenure here?

Just now, RESNewYork said:

So you agree. It was going to go to the 2 minute warning no matter what. 

No the Pats never would ever run the ball there because they think Brady rightfully so can complete a game ending pass that's my point (and Brady basically did complete the pass but it was dropped).

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

No the Pats never would ever run the ball there because they think Brady rightfully so can complete a game ending pass that's my point (and Brady basically did complete the pass but it was dropped).

What?

Bottom line, if they spent the time out before the 2 minute warning, it would have been a mistake.

Archived