Post your theories as to why Bryce Petty won't start next week.

T0mShane

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Wins and competes with suspect talent, especially at the QB position. Last season was rough but it was nearly impossible to win with the injuries and horrible QB play.

so he wins & competes with suspect talent.. 

except for all of last season..

Just now, jetgreen13 said:

so he wins & competes with suspect talent.. 

except for all of last season..

what are your expectations? for me Bowles and the staff have done a very good job working with what they have, including last season. without going in depth just my opinion. 

when the season is over, I believe the possible replacements will be much much worse

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

what are your expectations? for me Bowles and the staff have done a very good job working with what they have, including last season. without going in depth just my opinion. 

when the season is over, I believe the possible replacements will be much much worse

last season his team quit on him well before mid season..

as far as not going "in depth??" good call.....  

Just now, jetgreen13 said:

last season his team quit on him well before mid season..

as far as not going "in depth??" good call.....  

injuries and bad qb play derailed 2016.

I don't think the team quit. When a team loses, the excuse is the team quit, coaches didn't make adjustments, etc. When they win you don't hear that.

And if there were players that quit, then I assume they got rid of them because I don't see any quit on the 2017 team.

I don't understand why fans feel some magic coach is going to come in and boom we're a SB team. Effort, not talent, is why the team is competing. 

47 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

What?

Bottom line, if they spent the time out before the 2 minute warning, it would have been a mistake.

Bottom line, if they hadn't wasted their first two timeouts, on back-to-back plays, than what you're arguing wouldn't even be an issue.

Stop defending Bowles for this.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

So, you think using 2 timeouts, not half-way through the 3rd quarter, while down 2 scores, was "done correctly"?

peOh4ia.gif

Ive said it 10 times yes it was a mistake, and made worse because it's a veteran QB. But it happens. It's not something that only happens to the Jets and it will happen with other NFL staffs in the future. 

Bottom line, if they hadn't wasted their first two timeouts, on back-to-back plays, than what you're arguing wouldn't even be an issue.

Stop defending Bowles for this.

not defending. but it happens. let's forget everything else the coaching staff is doing well because they called two timeouts early.

16 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

This line of thinking is why we are a perennial purgatory team.

Ive said it 10 times yes it was a mistake, and made worse because it's a veteran QB. But it happens. It's not something that only happens to the Jets and it will happen with other NFL staffs in the future. 

Omg.

And I've already said that this has been a systemic problem throughout Bowles entire career here. There should be no excuses for him.

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

just my opinion. maybe you're right. let's blow it up after the season. we'll start over, everyone learns a new system, and we'll be more successful

Yeah, it's better to go six years with another Rex Ryan, because that turned out so well for us.

ok if we both agree thats true, then let's agree he's also done a lot of good things as well

Please give me a list of this plethora of good things that Bowles has done well, with actual examples, not just what you believe he's done well.

Yeah, it's better to go six years with another Rex Ryan, because that turned out so well for us.

not sure what you want me to say. my opinion, he's the best guy moving forward for me. for you, it's someone else.

not trying to change your mind, and im not going to change mine

Gentlemen. I have read through this whole thread and I gotta say simply this. Before this season McCown had what 2 wins in 3 years? So if he "gives us the best chance to win" what does that say about the state of the position on the NY Jets? McCown has been playing above his head in these 6 games. He looks incredibly bad when he plays poorly and a little better than average when he plays well. IMHO it falls on the coach. The play calling became conservative when playing with a lead. When you start conservative play on offense it takes the team out of its established rhythm. This has happened with other OC's on this staff so you can't really blame the current guy. Bowles is still making first or second year HC mistakes. His clock management skills have stayed the same or gotten worse. He has no idea of how to work the refs or show any kind of emotion at all on the field. He insists on playing a 3-4 defense when it clearly is not generating a pass rush and when he had "the best defensive line in the league" he still stayed with the 3-4. He consistently fails at making in game adjustments on defense and is either clueless or stubborn while sticking with the game plan. I know not a lot was expected from this team and they are what they are but they have shown growth. All except the HC. Changing the QB won't make a difference but changing the HC will. Just my opinion here guys agree or disagree it will not change my mind. Bowles is simply not the guy going forward. Hopefully the rest of these games this season will bring that too light.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

Because, besides the fact that he exists, we have no evidence to support the notion of Bryce Petty being able to play football?

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Petty won't start next week because he sucks. And so does Hack. I was on that hopeful train too, but they suck. We need to draft a QB next year, nothing McCown does hurts or helps that fact. The games we have won have been in spite of McCown, not because of him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Howd Petty do in his last game action? I hate rhetorical statements with nothing behind them. "So and so sucks" is the most useless statement on this board.

The offense is doing as much as we can expect all things considered.  As usual we are losing games due to the defense, bowles baby.

The most unfathomable thing about this team right now is the amount that has been invested in the dline both money and draft capital and how utterly dead awful it is right now.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The offense is doing as much as we can expect all things considered.  As usual we are losing games due to the defense, bowles baby.

The most unfathomable thing about this team right now is the amount that has been invested in the dline both money and draft capital and how utterly dead awful it is right now.

I think the DL is a function of working together not individual talent. A "supergroup" at DL does not necessarily mean it will be effective. And part of any truly effective DL is the ability to get pressure. Unfortunately we have none of that on our DL. I truly believe we would  not see a big dropoff in DL play with two mid-range JAGS like McClendon level replacing Williams and Mo,

Archived