Post your theories as to why Bryce Petty won't start next week.

T0mShane

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Meanwhile, 49ers just benched Hoyer and made Beathard (a guy taken in R3 that “experts thought would be undrafted) the starter to see what they have and get him reps. Ho hum.

What's that have to do with the price of tea in China?

If McCown was playing as poorly as Hoyer then yes..  you bench him.

Is there anyone saying anything to the contrary?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Pac said:

It was meant as a comparison to last season, when Fitz ate penis and Bowles refused to see what he had in Hack or Petty. 

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Petty hasn't shown he can get those points though. Assuming he can isn't fair. McCown has completed over 70% of his passes this season. I doubt Petty can do that.

I'm not saying Petty can't be good. But I don't think it's fair to assume he could come in and play better than McCown right away.

Would it surprise you that Petty went 32/48 (66.7%) in preseason this year?  Throwing mostly to receiver who aren't playing football today.  Nobody is assuming he will be better right away, but if he shows he can lead the team even with the inevitable mistakes, and prove no worse than McCown, then that would be a much better scenario than what we have today.  And if he blows it after 3-4 games, then we have an answer on him and don't waste time and a roster spot next season.

When you're standing on the train tracks and you hear a whistle blowing, going left is a good option.   Going right is a good option.  Standing still is NOT a good option.

3 hours ago, Pac said:

Cousins, Garrapolo, probably Brees all FA's next year.

If it's a draft pick McCown will be back next year as a quality backup and sensational mentor.  Everything your awful conquering hero was supposed to be.

They'd cut Petty because he sucked last year and he started out this year buried deep behind McCown and Hack.  They'd keep Hack because he's younger and has a higher ceiling than Petty.

Anything else?

Sensational?  How many wins is that worth?

Why did Petty start this year buried deep behind McCown and Hack?  What did Hackenberg ever do to pass Petty on the depth chart?  When the games mattered Hackenberg has always been well behind Petty.  You didn't mention the only things Hackenberg has over Petty which are draft position and an extra year under contract.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Yes me, McCown is the reason the Jets offense averages 18 points a game, he has made so many bad throws, missed throws, missed open WR's it's ridiculous to say McCown is playing well, the Jets should do the rest of the team right, and see if Petty can move the ball, and score points in this new offense that he looked very comfortable running late in the preseason, and I don't mean his play VS the scrubs I mean the command of the huddle, and the knowledge of the offense, the confidence at the line making presnap reads, and checks, command of the huddle, and line of scrimmage which all is what lead to him balling out very easily Vs the scrubs he played against.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes me, McCown is the reason the Jets offense averages 18 points a game, he has made so many bad throws, missed throws, missed open WR's it's ridiculous to say McCown is playing well, the Jets should do the rest of the team right, and see if Petty can move the ball, and score points in this new offense that he looked very comfortable running late in the preseason, and I don't mean his play VS the scrubs I mean the command of the huddle, and the knowledge of the offense, the confidence at the line making presnap reads, and checks, command of the huddle, and line of scrimmage which all is what lead to him balling out very easily Vs the scrubs he played against.

So what you are saying is we are improving?  I think we have averaged more than 18 ppg once since 2011.  

On 10/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

Until they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Would it surprise you that Petty went 32/48 (66.7%) in preseason this year?  Throwing mostly to receiver who aren't playing football today.  Nobody is assuming he will be better right away, but if he shows he can lead the team even with the inevitable mistakes, and prove no worse than McCown, then that would be a much better scenario than what we have today.  And if he blows it after 3-4 games, then we have an answer on him and don't waste time and a roster spot next season.

When you're standing on the train tracks and you hear a whistle blowing, going left is a good option.   Going right is a good option.  Standing still is NOT a good option.

Against second team and vanilla defenses though. Completing 70% of your passes 6 games deep into an NFL season isn't an easy thing to do. Alex Smith and McCown are the only 2 QB's to be doing that right now. I'd be willing to be that Petty can't do that. That's not the only thing you judge a QB on of course but it's just a plus for McCown.

I don't understand why we can't give Petty those games towards the end of the season when the Jets fall out of it like most people think they will. McCown has played well so far and has the team at 3-3. Far better than anyone thought they would be. The team deserves a chance with McCown as QB to continue to try and win games and fight for the playoffs. You and I might think they have no chance but I think it sends a poor message to the locker room if you pull McCown right now for an unproven 4th round draft pick with zero NFL success to his name yet.

I'm not trying to bash Petty. But they went with McCown to start the season and the team is 3-3. He deserves a chance to keep playing right now. JMO

This is the time of the year where guys like Manish and Cimini will spread the false narrative that Todd Bowles risks "losing the locker room" by playing Hack or Petty because "it's clear in practice that McCown is outplaying them." And then we go 6-10 and end up with the 9th pick in the draft and end up picking a blocking TE from Penn State because he'll compliment Austin Seferian-Jenkins' game quite well and we'll all collectively wonder why we're such a sorry franchise. 

13 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Against second team and vanilla defenses though. Completing 70% of your passes 6 games deep into an NFL season isn't an easy thing to do. Alex Smith and McCown are the only 2 QB's to be doing that right now. I'd be willing to be that Petty can't do that. That's not the only thing you judge a QB on of course but it's just a plus for McCown.

I don't understand why we can't give Petty those games towards the end of the season when the Jets fall out of it like most people think they will. McCown has played well so far and has the team at 3-3. Far better than anyone thought they would be. The team deserves a chance with McCown as QB to continue to try and win games and fight for the playoffs. You and I might think they have no chance but I think it sends a poor message to the locker room if you pull McCown right now for an unproven 4th round draft pick with zero NFL success to his name yet.

I'm not trying to bash Petty. But they went with McCown to start the season and the team is 3-3. He deserves a chance to keep playing right now. JMO

It's about scoring points, and McCown is not getting that done.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

So what you are saying is we are improving?  I think we have averaged more than 18 ppg once since 2011.  

I'm saying we are 26th in the league in points scored, and that's not good enough to justify starting a 38 year old journeyman QB after 6 weeks.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sensational?  How many wins is that worth?

Why did Petty start this year buried deep behind McCown and Hack?  What did Hackenberg ever do to pass Petty on the depth chart?  When the games mattered Hackenberg has always been well behind Petty.  You didn't mention the only things Hackenberg has over Petty which are draft position and an extra year under contract.

Yes sensational mentor.  So much so his last coach tried to get him to quit playing and become a coach.  He's exactly the guy you want in the QB room with your draft pick teaching him how to be a pro.  He's what Fitz was supposed to be.

You'll have to ask Bowles and Morton why Petty was buried.  I just surmised that given the fact the first few weeks of camp he got 3 snaps compared to the 20 or so the others got.  Everything the Jets have done the last 2 years screams they don't view Petty as their future starting QB yet people here still chase this dream that he just needs a chance. 

There is a much higher likelihood he's not on the team next year than him being the starter.  If we draft a QB with our first pick I think it's pretty much a certainty he's a goner.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Typical loser Jets fan good enough mediocre mentality.

That makes absolutely no sense. The teams played well with McCown at QB. What message does it send to your players to pull him for some unproven 4th round preseason hero whose never had any NFL success? The players in the locker room want to win. They don't care about evaluating young QB's who probably aren't any good so they can get Sam Darnold.

The team has played well. When they fall out of it like most people think they will you'll get to see the great Bryce Petty play QB. Have no fear.

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

Yes sensational mentor.  So much so his last coach tried to get him to quit playing and become a coach.  He's exactly the guy you want in the QB room with your draft pick teaching him how to be a pro.  He's what Fitz was supposed to be.

You'll have to ask Bowles and Morton why Petty was buried.  I just surmised that given the fact the first few weeks of camp he got 3 snaps compared to the 20 or so the others got.  Everything the Jets have done the last 2 years screams they don't view Petty as their future starting QB yet people here still chase this dream that he just needs a chance. 

There is a much higher likelihood he's not on the team next year than him being the starter.  If we draft a QB with our first pick I think it's pretty much a certainty he's a goner.

He should be mentoring Watson. He's currently mentoring who exactly?

12 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That makes absolutely no sense. The teams played well with McCown at QB. What message does it send to your players to pull him for some unproven 4th round preseason hero whose never had any NFL success? The players in the locker room want to win. They don't care about evaluating young QB's who probably aren't any good so they can get Sam Darnold.

The team has played well. When they fall out of it like most people think they will you'll get to see the great Bryce Petty play QB. Have no fear.

It says losing 3 of 6 games is not good enough, being 26th in PPG is not good enough, missed plays, missed open WR's, bad untimely INT's every single week are not good enough we expect more, and we're gonna see if the next man up can build on his very impressive finish to the preseason scoring points at will, you gotta do this now while the season is still alive not when we're 4-8.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

It says losing 3 of 6 games is not good enough, being 26th in PPG is not good enough, missed plays, missed open WR's, bad untimely INT's every single week are not good enough we expect more, and we're gonna see if the next man up can build on his very impressive finish to the preseason scoring points at will, you gotta do this now while the season is still alive not when we're 4-8.

How is 3-3 not good enough when we were projected to win 1 game the entire year? You're talking like 3-3 is this awful record. You're also acting like the Jets offense is suppose to be this juggernaut that's being held back by a bad QB. The offense doesn't have a ton of talent on it in general, not just the QB. The receivers aren't terrible but there isn't a game breaker among them, the O-Line is poor, the backs have their moments at times, you're acting like the offense had all these expectations when it was predicted to be historically bad. He's not missing a lot of open receivers when he's completing over 70% of his passes.

I just think McCown has earned the right to continue being the QB while we are still 3-3. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He should be mentoring Watson. He's currently mentoring who exactly?

I wonder if all this revisionist history happens on Browns, Bears, Niners, Jags, Bengals, and Bills boards.  They are all QB needy teams who also passed on Watson.

My guess is 2 years from now no one will be crying that we didn't pick him.  Once the coordinators get a years worth of game film he won't have these Tecmo Bowl statistical games.

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's 3-3 and has played well. You aren't giving him enough credit.

Fitz 'played well', was a known non-long term answer at QB, and parlayed that into a 2nd yr at $12 mill.  How'd that work out?

It ain't about McCown 'playing well', it's about developing potential long-term QB assets.  You want to let McCown dink and dunk til week 13 and we are 'mathematically eliminated'?  Then let Petty and Hack have a few scraps with a demoralized team more worried about off season planning than the next game?  McCown ain't doing anything special...he's a game manager at best.  Good teams don't  tread water like this...only teams like the Jets overly concerned with another 2-3 meaningless wins in a 6-10 season.  As much as I despise Kaepernick as an individual, I'd rather see him back there playing QB as at least if he worked he might play for the next 10 yrs.

If McCown was so valuable, Mac should be on the horn with GB offering him in a trade for a DP, because he isn't winning anything here in NY...thing is, GB wouldn't do it, and they have a great team overall. McCown's completing 70% of his passes..how could they pass?

They'd pass because McCown is a backup QB AT BEST, and isn't worth a damn to any team not named the NYJ..who for some reason just seem to love 'treading water'.

On 10/15/2017 at 6:15 PM, RESNewYork said:

I'm pretty sure the timeouts were used correctly, because they only had 1 left. The mistake is only having 1 left with a veteran QB.

Hand picked? Mac is the one who signed them. Coaches play the best 11. You should be upset with Mac for signing McCown.

You're now blaming Macc for adding a VET QB to help the young guys... Not the most stupid decision in the world. It's DUMBA$$ that won't play them, he's proved it 3 years in a row now. While I give Bowles credit for getting this team up for all the games so far and am enjoying watching them play with heart, I still think that the decision should have been to start Petty and prepare Hack to get in games this year as well. I'm not for losing, but at some point you don't get any better or know what someone is just from practice. They need game speed. We're just rehashing the same thing we've been doing for the last 2 seasons. Only my opinion.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, MDL_JET said:

Hm but what if Petty comes in and plays even worse? 

Then you finally know what you have and can say that train has left the building... You also start Hack once you know what you have in Petty if he crashes. Either way we get to see what we have in them, and not some journeyman who while a good signing, should be the Vet presence to be in Petty and Hack's ears when they do something wrong on the field.

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

Amen

11 hours ago, Pac said:

I wonder if all this revisionist history happens on Browns, Bears, Niners, Jags, Bengals, and Bills boards.  They are all QB needy teams who also passed on Watson.

My guess is 2 years from now no one will be crying that we didn't pick him.  Once the coordinators get a years worth of game film he won't have these Tecmo Bowl statistical games.

This is hands down the dumbest sh*t people say about Football.  Someone said it and it sounds clever so people repeat as if its' true but it's dumb as ****.  So not surprised it's coming from you. 

If it's that easy, why does any QB in the NFL sustain success after coordinators get a years worth of game film?  And if it was so easy, how come the great Nick Saban couldn't stop him the 2nd time he faced him in college?   How come he dominated his entire college career if all it took was some game tape to figure him out?

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

You're now blaming Macc for adding a VET QB to help the young guys... Not the most stupid decision in the world. It's DUMBA$$ that won't play them, he's proved it 3 years in a row now. While I give Bowles credit for getting this team up for all the games so far and am enjoying watching them play with heart, I still think that the decision should have been to start Petty and prepare Hack to get in games this year as well. I'm not for losing, but at some point you don't get any better or know what someone is just from practice. They need game speed. We're just rehashing the same thing we've been doing for the last 2 seasons. Only my opinion.

Not blaming Mac. My point is Mac and Bowles are on the same page. There is a narrative that Bowles is a lone wolf starting McCown and the whole organization and Mac wants Petty and Hack to start. If that was the case then why sign McCown? I assume because Mac wanted insurance in case Petty or Hack weren't ready. 

12 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Fitz 'played well', was a known non-long term answer at QB, and parlayed that into a 2nd yr at $12 mill.  How'd that work out?

It ain't about McCown 'playing well', it's about developing potential long-term QB assets.  You want to let McCown dink and dunk til week 13 and we are 'mathematically eliminated'?  Then let Petty and Hack have a few scraps with a demoralized team more worried about off season planning than the next game?  McCown ain't doing anything special...he's a game manager at best.  Good teams don't  tread water like this...only teams like the Jets overly concerned with another 2-3 meaningless wins in a 6-10 season.  As much as I despise Kaepernick as an individual, I'd rather see him back there playing QB as at least if he worked he might play for the next 10 yrs.

If McCown was so valuable, Mac should be on the horn with GB offering him in a trade for a DP, because he isn't winning anything here in NY...thing is, GB wouldn't do it, and they have a great team overall. McCown's completing 70% of his passes..how could they pass?

They'd pass because McCown is a backup QB AT BEST, and isn't worth a damn to any team not named the NYJ..who for some reason just seem to love 'treading water'.

Fitz played well in 2015 and got a 2 year deal because everyone expected the Jets to be contenders last year. McCown is a completely different situation. This team was suppose to be terrible, everyone knows we need a long term answer at QB and it's not McCown. But it's not Petty or Hack most likely. Petty is another backup QB in a long line of backup QB's who the fan base is just dying to see because he's a young backup whose played well against vanilla and second team preseason defenses. Let's put some perspective on this, he started 4 games last year and threw 3 TD's to 7 picks, couldn't even complete 60% of his passes in a passing league and had a QBR of 19.4. Does that mean he's destined to be a terrible QB, of course not, he's still young and learning. But he's not entitled to anything and never grabbed hold of the job.

I never said McCown is so valuable. I'm saying he's played well. I would have started Petty at the beginning of the season but they didn't. They went with McCown and the team is 3-3 and he hasn't played bad. He doesn't deserve to be benched right now. What kind of message is it sending to the rest of the locker room who feels like they are in it and have a chance to make the playoffs?

On 10/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

The same one he always uses...."best chance to win." I want to see Petty to determine if he is for real, but apparently Bowles doesn't think so. I think the Jets go defense in the draft again and look to sign FA QB like Alex Smith.

Archived