Game Observations (NE)

KRL

There are no "moral victories" in sports you either win or lose.  So even though the
Jets put up a good fight their inability to take advantage of opportunities led to
a frustrating 24-17 loss.  An offensive "brown out" and an unbelievable TD reversal
that left me speechless were just some of the key plays, let's take a look:

- Josh McCown had his best statistical day and started out on fire.  But after getting
up 14-0 he allowed the offense to "brown out" on four drives before halftime:

* Drive 1 - Seven yards on first down, two plays later they punt
 * Drive 2 - Seven yards on first down, two plays later they punt
 * Drive 3 - Eight yards on first down, two plays later they punt
 * Drive 4 - Just before half time they are almost in FG range and he forces a throw
             to Robby Anderson which leads to an INT.  A minute later the game is tied
             at 14 instead of the Jets leading 17-7 at least

It appeared as the game went along McCown focused more on Anderson than other receivers.
NE never had an answer for Jeremy Kerley, Jermaine Kearse, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and
the checkdown pass to the RB's.  A more diverse approach may have helped continue the
momentum the offense had early on.  Also for a 38 year old QB it's inexcusable to waste
two timeouts within three plays in the second half.

- The OLine had no push in the running game, the pass protection was decent but with NE
having no speed in their front seven it should've been better.  The penalties have got
to be cleaned up they are committing too many "drive killers".

- Matt Forte is basically a "one trick pony" right now.  He's still excellent in the screen
game but he shows no burst to the hole when running the ball.  Bilal Powell needs to get
healthy (when???) and the run game needs to be turned over to him and Elijah McGuire.

- As stated before excellent games by Kerley, Kearse and Seferian-Jenkins they needed to
see more balls.  I didn't want Kerley back because I wanted the young WR's to get more reps
but he has been outstanding.

- What's to say about the Seferian-Jenkins TD reversal?  It's like the review official was
looking to influence the game.  I could understand if the ball came out of his hands but
he bobbled it and re-gained possession.  Credit to Seferian-Jenkins for the way he handled
after the game, no whining or crying.

- The defense did a good job early on holding NE in check and forcing two turnovers in the
first half.  But the DLine was bad in both run defense and generating pressure.  No impact
from Muhammad Wilkerson again and for a guy whose 6-3 and 330 Mike Pennel isn't as stout
as I would expect from a NT.

- Buster Skrine had an impactful game with an INT, a fumble recovery and decent coverage on
Hogan and Amendola.  But the INT that he dropped was a killer, it would've given the Jets
the ball at midfield with a 14-0 lead.  Instead a few plays later NE scores their first TD.
When you have NE making mistakes you have to take advantange.

- Darron Lee flashed today with a forced fumble, a couple of nice open field tackles and
some nice coverage on NE RB's.  But he has to have better ball awareness when trying to
cover Gronkowski.

- Jamal Adams got his introduction to Gronkowski by giving up his first TD and just missing on
a PBU that would've prevented his second TD.

- You have to love Ardarius Stewart's aggresiveness on kick off returns but he has to learn
to stay in the end zone on "lob kicks".

McCown overall played poorly. Outside of a few great catches by Kerley, what did he do well? He turned it over at crucial points, almost for a 3rd INT and continues to take a sack instead of throwing it away. You'd think after being in the league for 45 years you'd know to throw it away. He's showing you why he's a back up and not a starter who can lead you to difficult wins week after week. In a pinch, when your guy goes down, sure he'd be great to step in and finish a game. Another week or two and they need to start thinking about Petty but Bowles doesn't have the balls. 

Forte is just holding this offense back whenever he steps on the field. He offers nothing unless theres a ton of space for him to run. 

Refs aside, the run game let us down today.  This o-line is still a work in progress.  Brandon Shell got owned a few times.

I also don't like the lack of pass rush.  Seems like both Leonard Williams and Wilkerson aren't playing to their potential this year.  At some point they need to go get a real edge rusher.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Lee and Adams were both dogsh*t today. When do we start calling out Leonard Williams? He's been fine against the run, but for a guy who set a goal of a sack in every game, he's had practically zero impact as a pass rusher.

the raising the roof to plays made ratio is not looking too hot for Adams.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Lee and Adams were both dogsh*t today. When do we start calling out Leonard Williams? He's been fine against the run, but for a guy who set a goal of a sack in every game, he's had practically zero impact as a pass rusher.

If you're an offense, who are you focusing on to stop on the dline? Leo or Mo? 

Interesting..........

What about Morton having the most limited QB in the entire NFL don't people understand this.   That's not an excuse that is reality!!!!!

There is a reason why McCown has lost wherever he has been and it hasn't been an accident. 

The coaching staff has been good.   The defense and the offense have performed better than anyone in their right mind could have expected. 

To say that Morton is calling timeouts just to call timeouts is disingenuous.  Stupid timeouts are being called because McCown has zero sense of the games and clock management after SIXTEEN years in the league and tells you all you need to know about McCown; not the coaching staff. 

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Give him a break, he probably still has a limp wrist.

36 minutes ago, KRL said:

There are no "moral victories" in sports you either win or lose.  So even though the
Jets put up a good fight their inability to take advantage of opportunities led to
a frustrating 24-17 loss.  An offensive "brown out" and an unbelievable TD reversal
that left me speechless were just some of the key plays, let's take a look:

- Josh McCown had his best statistical day and started out on fire.  But after getting
up 14-0 he allowed the offense to "brown out" on four drives before halftime:

* Drive 1 - Seven yards on first down, two plays later they punt
 * Drive 2 - Seven yards on first down, two plays later they punt
 * Drive 3 - Eight yards on first down, two plays later they punt
 * Drive 4 - Just before half time they are almost in FG range and he forces a throw
             to Robby Anderson which leads to an INT.  A minute later the game is tied
             at 14 instead of the Jets leading 17-7 at least

It appeared as the game went along McCown focused more on Anderson than other receivers.
NE never had an answer for Jeremy Kerley, Jermaine Kearse, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and
the checkdown pass to the RB's.  A more diverse approach may have helped continue the
momentum the offense had early on.  Also for a 38 year old QB it's inexcusable to waste
two timeouts within three plays in the second half.

- The OLine had no push in the running game, the pass protection was decent but with NE
having no speed in their front seven it should've been better.  The penalties have got
to be cleaned up they are committing too many "drive killers".

- Matt Forte is basically a "one trick pony" right now.  He's still excellent in the screen
game but he shows no burst to the hole when running the ball.  Bilal Powell needs to get
healthy (when???) and the run game needs to be turned over to him and Elijah McGuire.

- As stated before excellent games by Kerley, Kearse and Seferian-Jenkins they needed to
see more balls.  I didn't want Kerley back because I wanted the young WR's to get more reps
but he has been outstanding.

- What's to say about the Seferian-Jenkins TD reversal?  It's like the review official was
looking to influence the game.  I could understand if the ball came out of his hands but
he bobbled it and re-gained possession.  Credit to Seferian-Jenkins for the way he handled

- The defense did a good job early on holding NE in check and forcing two turnovers in the
first half.  But the DLine was bad in both run defense and generating pressure.  No impact
from Muhammad Wilkerson again and for a guy whose 6-3 and 330 Mike Pennel isn't as stout
as I would expect from a NT.

- Buster Skrine had an impactful game with an INT, a fumble recovery and decent coverage on
Hogan and Amendola.  But the INT that he dropped was a killer, it would've given the Jets
the ball at midfield with a 14-0 lead.  Instead a few plays later NE scores their first TD.
When you have NE making mistakes you have to take advantange.

- Darron Lee flashed today with a forced fumble, a couple of nice open field tackles and
some nice coverage on NE RB's.  But he has to have better ball awareness when trying to
cover Gronkowski.

- Jamal Adams got his introduction to Gronkowski by giving up his first TD and just missing on
a PBU that would've prevented his second TD.

- You have to love Ardarius Stewart's aggresiveness on kick off returns but he has to learn
to stay in the end zone on "lob kicks".

some good points.  imo the game was mainly lost because the jet run game wasn't. you can blame it on the rb's being banged up but they've been struggling all season so far.  they need to figure this out.  the dline didn't help themselves much either.  once again there was little pressure from the dline.  they weren't able to form lanes for blitzers so brady wasn't pressured as much as he needed to be.  and how many time does stewart need to be told not to run the ball out of the endzone on kick offs?  seems pretty basic.  the refs were biased.  i don't care if the patsies had the same number of penalties (6) as the jets it's where they came and for what.  and the asj fumble on the td was complete bs.  he may have been bobbling the ball when he hit the pylon but he clearly had control when he hit the ground in the end zone prior to rolling out of bounds.

The Jets lost today for the same reason they have lost a lot of games under this coach. They get a lead and shut it down to sit on that lead. They go into this scared, play not to lose, ultra conservative offense and it costs games time after time. They had NE on the ropes at 14-0. Ok you aren't going to shut them out, but how's about a few first downs after they score? How many times do we run slow Matt Forte into the middle on first down? First down is always key. After they went up 14-0, they went 3 and out for the rest off the half, which included several failed 3rd and 1 stupid running plays up the middle.

I don't know, while I never expected to beat NE, we had them. They were extremely beatable today (seems like we always say that after they beat us) and again we $hit the bed. 

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

The Jets lost today for the same reason they have lost a lot of games under this coach. They get a lead and shut it down to sit on that lead. They go into this scared, play not to lose, ultra conservative offense and it costs games time after time. They had NE on the ropes at 14-0. Ok you aren't going to shut them out, but how's about a few first downs after they score? How many times do we run slow Matt Forte into the middle on first down? First down is always key. After they went up 14-0, they went 3 and out for the rest off the half, which included several failed 3rd and 1 stupid running plays up the middle.

I don't know, while I never expected to beat NE, we had them. They were extremely beatable today (seems like we always say that after they beat us) and again we $hit the bed. 

They couldn't run the ball. McCown throw a big INT. Buster dropped a big INT. The refs took a TD away from the Jets.

They had several 3rd and 2's that they didn't convert. The O\C was getting a little fancy but I think they will learn from that and keep it simple. Would have like to see more jumbo packages on 3rd and short.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

looking to influence the game.   Credit to Seferian-Jenkins for the way he handled

All the plays are big not just the ASJ one, I totally agree if McCown played better they overcome the Refs. He didn't have to throw that first really bad int and converting on 4th and short would have been nice

meanwhile ASJ has been barking at the officials for weeks. Nothing insulting or personal but he always bounces up and shouts for a call or a flag and he gives it to them hard when they say no. And all that shouldn't matter but it does. This is also why Robbie Anderson can't get a pass interference call.  He and ASJ are perceived as low character, not dues paying "thugs" and the league doesn't care if life is fair for them. When the ASJ has a borderline situation it will never go in his favor. He's not the type of player who gets the benefit of the doubt and to be honest the Jets aren't a franchise that gets the benefit of the doubt either

I truly believe if Gronk was the player barrelling into the EZ the call stands. this was a pure FU to ASJ. there's no other real way to explain it. Cause clearly there's nothing within the rules to explain what happened. 

15 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

The Jets lost today for the same reason they have lost a lot of games under this coach.  

make no mistake Todd Bowles is coaching his ass off with this team 

they are a talentless bunch of nobodies with no QB and they are .500. If they finish .500 that's a coach of the year effort out of this sh*tbag roster.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

All the plays are big not just the ASJ one, I totally agree if McCown played better they overcome the Refs. He didn't have to throw that first really bad int and converting on 4th and short would have been nice

meanwhile ASJ has been barking at the officials for weeks. Nothing insulting or personal but he always bounces up and shouts for a call or a flag and he gives it to them hard when they say no. And all that shouldn't matter but it does. This is why Robbie Anderson can't get a pass interference call.  When the ASJ has a borderline situation it will never go in his favor. He's not the type of player who gets the benefit of the doubt and to be honest the Jets aren't a franchise that gets the benefit of the doubt either

I truly believe if Gronk was the player barrelling into the EZ the call stands. this was a pure FU to ASJ. there's no other real way to explain it. Cause clearly there's nothing within the rules to explain what happened. 

Lol so the guys in NY care whether ASJ yell at officials in previous weeks on the field?  The actual officials on the field called it a TD it was the jerk offs in NY who reversed the call not the game officials.  None of this makes any sense to anyone, but you.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

meanwhile ASJ has been barking at the officials for weeks. Nothing insulting or personal but he always bounces up and shouts for a call or a flag and he gives it to them hard when they say no. And all that shouldn't matter but it does. This is also why Robbie Anderson can't get a pass interference call.  He and ASJ are perceived as low character, not dues paying "thugs" and the league doesn't care if life is fair for them. When the ASJ has a borderline situation it will never go in his favor. He's not the type of player who gets the benefit of the doubt and to be honest the Jets aren't a franchise that gets the benefit of the doubt either

The refs dont even know who Robby Anderson is.

We couldn't run the f*cking ball for sh*t on 3rd & short & that's the f*cking game right there! You convert those 3rd downs you keep d*ckhead Brady sucking his thumb on the sideline. NUTSHELL! 

Every other bad call that went against us wouldn't have meant a damn thing if we converted on those 3, third & shorts & 1, 4th & 1. This team has NO POWER run game when they need it. It might have been the Patriots defenders in the middle HOLDING Johnson & our guards up so they could stop those short runs. I don't think it was coincidence that the refs called the Pats for 2 holding calls on their Dlineman. Belichick is a f*cking cheater, we all know his motto is the refs can't call holding on every play if you hold every play.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they are a talentless bunch of nobodies with no QB and they are .500. If they finish .500 that's a coach of the year effort out of this sh*tbag roster.

how does one quantify "coaching their ass off" In another close game the Jets flushed their timeouts down the toilet in the 3rd qtr. This is coaching 101.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Thank you....

For example.......

People out here drool for Sean Payton and the Saints consistently who under perform with Drew Brees under center.  Just think if Payton and the Saints were starting McCown instead of Brees; and even better what if Brees were on the Jets?  It is a good possibility that we would be undefeated!

Yea Bowles is coaching the heck out of this team and a poor tackle or inopportune timeout calls by McCown doesn't change that...  

I rather loudly said it was a HUGE mistake for the NFL to go away from ref reviews ti a central review location, run by some ex ref or league official.  The CFL did this a few years ago and it is an utter disaster.  The guys in the booth have no feel for the game and look to justify themselves time and again.

We had a thread a few weeks back about what was killing the nfl.  The #1 thing for me was the over complex, over applied and managed rules.  No one knows what a catch is no one knows what a fumble is no one know what a first down is, no one knows what grounding is no one knows what targeting is.

These once in a the history of the game calls (The play today, the tuck rule) ruin games.

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Interesting..........

What about Morton having the most limited QB in the entire NFL don't people understand this.   That's not an excuse that is reality!!!!!

There is a reason why McCown has lost wherever he has been and it hasn't been an accident. 

The coaching staff has been good.   The defense and the offense have performed better than anyone in their right mind could have expected. 

To say that Morton is calling timeouts just to call timeouts is disingenuous.  Stupid timeouts are being called because McCown has zero sense of the games and clock management after SIXTEEN years in the league and tells you all you need to know about McCown; not the coaching staff. 

I agree Morton has been good. I think we would be better with Petty. Maybe we won't but at least we would know. I just dont see what McClown is bringing to the table. He is not really playing like a veteran, he seems to make a lot of small but meaningful  mistakes when the pressure is on. Taking two sacks in the last drive is inexcusable.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

They couldn't run the ball. McCown throw a big INT. Buster dropped a big INT. The refs took a TD away from the Jets.

They had several 3rd and 2's that they didn't convert. The O\C was getting a little fancy but I think they will learn from that and keep it simple. Would have like to see more jumbo packages on 3rd and short.

I do not see us as a jumbo package team. In fact, I think in the modern NFL, running against a line with Jumbo spacing is very rarely successful.

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I rather loudly said it was a HUGE mistake for the NFL to go away from ref reviews ti a central review location, run by some ex ref or league official.  The CFL did this a few years ago and it is an utter disaster.  The guys in the booth have no feel for the game and look to justify themselves time and again.

We had a thread a few weeks back about what was killing the nfl.  The #1 thing for me was the over complex, over applied and managed rules.  No one knows what a catch is no one knows what a fumble is no one know what a first down is, no one knows what grounding is no one knows what targeting is.

These once in a the history of the game calls (The play today, the tuck rule) ruin games.

The "process of completing a catch" is so inconsistently applied, and ticky tack PI calls are called so often it ruins the flow of games. Instead of cheering a catch or a pass breakup you first have to sit there an go "did he complete the process" or "is there a flag". That half a second pause that happens on almost all pass plays, especially 3rd down saps a lot of the excitement out of the game.

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

No they were not.   People are going to score.  Is that what brands Adams play dogsh*t?  Because one of the most prolific TE's in the game scored a touchdown on him?  Give me a break.

5 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

That call against ASJ is the worst call I have ever seen.  To reverse the TD is beyond anything you can make up.  My phone lit up after that with everyone watching on TV saying WTF just happened.

Same here I got about 10 texts in 2 minutes all from Giants, Steelers, and Cowboy fans telling me that it was a BS call, and they all love to stick it to me for being a Jets fan, but they were not sticking it to me they were genuine in their assessment, and were not texting to bust balls.

McCown overall played poorly. Outside of a few great catches by Kerley, what did he do well? He turned it over at crucial points, almost for a 3rd INT and continues to take a sack instead of throwing it away. You'd think after being in the league for 45 years you'd know to throw it away. He's showing you why he's a back up and not a starter who can lead you to difficult wins week after week. In a pinch, when your guy goes down, sure he'd be great to step in and finish a game. Another week or two and they need to start thinking about Petty but Bowles doesn't have the balls. 
Forte is just holding this offense back whenever he steps on the field. He offers nothing unless theres a ton of space for him to run. 
Why is McCown starting? Petty would play as well & open up offense with his arm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Not a single Jets D linemen has a Sack this year, how telling is that? We only have 7 sacks in 6 games!

I know who the #1 cut is on the first day of the off season #96.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Same here I got about 10 texts in 2 minutes all from Giants, Steelers, and Cowboy fans telling me that it was a BS call, and they all love to stick it to me for being a Jets fan, but they were not sticking it to me they were genuine in their assessment, and were not texting to bust balls.

Same here. My friends and my brother are all Giants fans. My brother-in-law is a Steelers fan. They all love to sh!t on me when the Jets lose. All of them said the refs royally screwed us yesterday. 

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Williams should be moved to the outside. He is being doubled teamed on the inside.

Every year the Jets play the Pats pretty tight in one game but lose by 3-7 pts and then get killed in the next game.  BB is a master at giving you what he wants to give you, then taking it away at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

In this case he gave McCown open TEs and RB most of the day until he shifted the defense and baited McCown into a few Ints.  That's their typical bend but don't break D, and it is a very underrated style.  Last year the Pats D had one of the best statistical defenses in the league point wise and one of the worst yardage wise.  That's b/c they mostly get you to kick field goals and force turnovers and generate sacks in the redzone.  

In this game, they got their sacks and turnovers, but our offense was scoring touchdowns on them, so that's kudos to the coaching staff and McCown (who was under pressure all day).

I thought Brady had a bad game, and he missed a lot of open receivers and made quite a few mistakes, so normally you would think the Jets should win those types of game.  However we lost both lines of scrimmages (their dline is underrated, and ours is overrated) and couldn't get enough crucial big plays by our overmatched skill players.  

You could say the difference was Rob Gronkowski and the fact that we don't have anything comparable to his impact.

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

how does one quantify "coaching their ass off" In another close game the Jets flushed their timeouts down the toilet in the 3rd qtr. This is coaching 101.

2 of those were on our 38 year old QB. You can't blame the coaching staff for that. 

9 minutes ago, Hael said:

Every year the Jets play the Pats pretty tight in one game but lose by 3-7 pts and then get killed in the next game.  BB is a master at giving you what he wants to give you, then taking it away at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

In this case he gave McCown open TEs and RB most of the day until he shifted the defense and baited McCown into a few Ints.  That's their typical bend but don't break D, and it is a very underrated style.  Last year the Pats D had one of the best statistical defenses in the league point wise and one of the worst yardage wise.  That's b/c they mostly get you to kick field goals and force turnovers and generate sacks in the redzone.  

In this game, they got their sacks and turnovers, but our offense was scoring touchdowns on them, so that's kudos to the coaching staff and McCown (who was under pressure all day).

I thought Brady had a bad game, and he missed a lot of open receivers and made quite a few mistakes, so normally you would think the Jets should win those types of game.  However we lost both lines of scrimmages (their dline is underrated, and ours is overrated) and couldn't get enough crucial big plays by our overmatched skill players.  

You could say the difference was Rob Gronkowski and the fact that we don't have anything comparable to his impact.

Tough to think who in the League may rate our D-line now. Mo's a statue just double a banged up Leo and the rest are Jags. Ealy is solid but plays in rotation.

Archived