Your 2017-2018 New York Knicks Thread--The Unicorn & the French Prince!!!!!

SMC

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That’s ok all Phil did was build the young team everyone is excited about now

The irony is that every good thing Phil did, he then tried to **** it up.  Being a good-hearted criminal doesn't keep you out of jail.

Yes, Phil made good decisions in drafting KP, Willy and Frank.  But he also drafted Early and Giannis' sucky older brother, and drafted Grant, whom he traded a year later for Zombie Derek Rose.  He then tried to trade KP.

Phil also gave Melo a NTC, which completely tied his hands to make a trade beneficial to the Knicks.  Fortunately, Perry was able to get a good haul.

He also signed the corpse of Joakim Noah to $72 million.

He also alienated agents, opposing executives and even opposing players although he's in the relationship-making business.

The bottom line is that Phil made what turned out to be great draft picks which he wholly undermined by being a stubborn old dick

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm intrigued by these next 3 games. Toronto is legit as hell and definitely a better team than the Knicks, but I think we are a terrible matchup for them because of our bigs, and styles make fights. Frank against that backcourt is going to be a a good early test.

The East is turning out to be a nice little competition this year with some of these younger guys stepping into the spotlight. Fun to see the Knicks in the mix with it, at least for now.

Crazy stat for On-this-day-in-Knicks-History, on November 17, 2000, the Knicks beat the Suns 90-85 in Phoenix.

Jason Kidd had a quadruple double, with one of the categories being turnovers:  18 PT, 12 RB, 10 AST, 14 TO.

Knicks' starting 5 were LJ, Camby, Houston, Spree & Ward and the Suns' starting 5 were Kidd, Marion, Cliff Robinson, Mario Elie & Corie Blount.  Both teams ended up making the postseason that year

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200011170PHO.html

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm intrigued by these next 3 games. Toronto is legit as hell and definitely a better team than the Knicks, but I think we are a terrible matchup for them because of our bigs, and styles make fights. Frank against that backcourt is going to be a a good early test.

The East is turning out to be a nice little competition this year with some of these younger guys stepping into the spotlight. Fun to see the Knicks in the mix with it, at least for now.

I agree.  Watch Knicks get blown out, but at least on paper, the Knicks are a bad matchup for Raptors because Raptors don't shoot a lot of 3s and 3 pt D is the Knicks Achilles' heel. 

On 11/17/2017 at 10:58 AM, SMC said:

The irony is that every good thing Phil did, he then tried to **** it up.  Being a good-hearted criminal doesn't keep you out of jail.

Yes, Phil made good decisions in drafting KP, Willy and Frank.  But he also drafted Early and Giannis' sucky older brother, and drafted Grant, whom he traded a year later for Zombie Derek Rose.  He then tried to trade KP.

Phil also gave Melo a NTC, which completely tied his hands to make a trade beneficial to the Knicks.  Fortunately, Perry was able to get a good haul.

He also signed the corpse of Joakim Noah to $72 million.

He also alienated agents, opposing executives and even opposing players although he's in the relationship-making business.

The bottom line is that Phil made what turned out to be great draft picks which he wholly undermined by being a stubborn old dick

70% of being a GM is drafting.  Damyean Dotson is the next Phil pick that is going to pleasantly surprise knick fans

Phil had to be an old stubborn dick because he had a thankless job inheriting an old team whose window had closed, dumb ownership, the nba commissioner hates us and the media lives to dump on us.  Yeah it probably was time for him to go because his personality didn’t mesh with KP that was the most valid reason to fire him

Regardless he set this franchise up for success next 10 years

On 11/17/2017 at 6:12 PM, SMC said:

Awful blow for the Nets.  Russell had his knee scoped and is out indefinitely.

Also, it absolutely un-shocking news, Derrick Rose is out for 2 weeks.

Have you ever seen an NBA player fall off a ciff like Rose?  Only other I can think of is Penny Hardaway

Rose is not that old.  Worst part is he still has physical ability he lacks motivation 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Have you ever seen an NBA player fall off a ciff like Rose?  Only other I can think of is Penny Hardaway

Rose is not that old.  Worst part is he still has physical ability he lacks motivation 

Good analogy, but what saved Penny in the end was that he was willing to transform his game and come off the bench.  We'll see if Rose can make that transition.

It's the same in baseball with star pitchers who's game was predicated on throwing heat.  The great ones survive because they adjust to the loss in velocity (Sabathia is a prime example).  Others keep trying to be the same pitcher they were, and they soon are out of the majors.

This is cool.  Frank taking in knowledge from Bruce Bowen before tonight's game.

One thing though.  Bowen was listed as 6'7" in his playing days, so either he shrunk or the listed 6'5" Ntilikina grew.

18 hours ago, SMC said:

Good analogy, but what saved Penny in the end was that he was willing to transform his game and come off the bench.  We'll see if Rose can make that transition.

It's the same in baseball with star pitchers who's game was predicated on throwing heat.  The great ones survive because they adjust to the loss in velocity (Sabathia is a prime example).  Others keep trying to be the same pitcher they were, and they soon are out of the majors.

I think Rose is out of the nba in 2 years

Kristaps giving Griffin fits last night was fun to watch.  Griffin was visibly frustrated every time he'd try to score on him.  Kristaps didn't shoot particularly well but man, he was all over the place.

The rookie didn't get too much run but when he did, he passed/missed on a few free throw range jumpers that your modern day PG would salivate to get such open looks.  He's so smooth he creates space pretty easily, it's just a shame he doesn't have a nice mid range knock down type jumper to really make defenders pay.  If he can develop that part of his game, holy sh*t does that kid has a future and so do the Knicks. 

He almost reminds me of Rondo a little bit right now.  Great handler, good distributer, polished defender. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Kristaps giving Griffin fits last night was fun to watch.  Griffin was visibly frustrated every time he'd try to score on him.  Kristaps didn't shoot particularly well but man, he was all over the place.

The rookie didn't get too much run but when he did, he passed/missed on a few free throw range jumpers that your modern day PG would salivate to get such open looks.  He's so smooth he creates space pretty easily, it's just a shame he doesn't have a nice mid range knock down type jumper to really make defenders pay.  If he can develop that part of his game, holy sh*t does that kid has a future and so do the Knicks. 

He almost reminds me of Rondo a little bit right now.  Great handler, good distributer, polished defender. 

Get Dave Hopla back here!

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Frank’s offense will get better he just needs time.  He’s the second youngest player in the nba

Archived