How does not starting Petty hurt the Jets?

RESNewYork

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Then management should be canned for keeping both on the roster....Petty especially.

Wading in the pool of 'well we'll see' if the information already exists that the solution at hand is a non-starter...in the NFL, is a loser.

Get someone in here that isn't a career 38 yo backup QB.

Two different issues.

Why would you fire the coaches for keeping 3 QBs when that is what they were given?

The criticism of Macc only having those three guys on the roster is valid. Although I think he will fix it next year with a real veteran.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Maxman said:

Two different issues.

Why would you fire the coaches for keeping 3 QBs when that is what they were given?

The criticism of Macc only having those three guys on the roster is valid. Although I think he will fix it next year with a real veteran.

Because of the three, apparently only the one 38 yo vet is capable of starting...and 'managing' a game...according to Bowles.  Which is all McCown has done.

If Macc thinks that any one of these QBs are the answer, other than McCown, then Bowles should be canned on the spot.

That's the dilemma...McCown is a severely limited, and proven, at best, backup QB.  Starting him is a loser proposition unless your objective is a 6 win season as opposed to a 3 win season.

Just because someone is drafted, doesn't make them sacrosanct...if Petty is not capable of reproducing what McCown has done so far this season as a 'game manager', then he should be canned.  I don't know that, but the coaches who are making the decisions apparently do, or he'd be starting.  If Petty is not the 'real deal', then cut him loose and get someone else in here that has the probability of being 'the guy'.

And, IF they have determined that Hack will never be 'the guy', cut his ass too.

Just be BOLD and make a decision is all I ask..because McCown is NOT a bold decision..it's a safe decision.  And not what WE need at this juncture.

My opinion, of course.

11 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

You really believe Bowles alone has decided that McCown is the best QB on the roster to win football games? With no input from anyone? 

Again when I wrote the original post, I asked how does this hurt the Jets future not starting Petty?

well i/we know maccagnan has no authority over bowles.. they both report to woody's kid brother..

how much he gives a **** is debatable..

Bryce Petty is signed for the 2018 season. The Jets are going to sign a free agent QB or draft a prospect this off season. Petty will have a chance to compete in the off season. The coaching staff will have the whole off season to make an informed decision about him. 
Like i said in the original post, if he was a starting QB right now, he would be starting over McCown. Not playing Petty will not change anything this off-season for the Jets and does not jeopardize the future of the team.

Serious question, did you pay attention at all to the "QB competition" that took place this past offseason?

What about what happened this preseason makes you think they are going to have an honest competition next year?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Serious question, did you pay attention at all to the "QB competition" that took place this past offseason?

What about what happened this preseason makes you think they are going to have an honest competition next year?

Honest answer. If Petty was a better QB than McCown, he would be starting. You have a coach and a GM on the hot seat, that wants victories. It's not logical to start an inferior QB. 

20 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Because of the three, apparently only the one 38 yo vet is capable of starting...and 'managing' a game...according to Bowles.  Which is all McCown has done.

If Macc thinks that any one of these QBs are the answer, other than McCown, then Bowles should be canned on the spot.

That's the dilemma...McCown is a severely limited, and proven, at best, backup QB.  Starting him is a loser proposition unless your objective is a 6 win season as opposed to a 3 win season.

Just because someone is drafted, doesn't make them sacrosanct...if Petty is not capable of reproducing what McCown has done so far this season as a 'game manager', then he should be canned.  I don't know that, but the coaches who are making the decisions apparently do, or he'd be starting.  If Petty is not the 'real deal', then cut him loose and get someone else in here that has the probability of being 'the guy'.

And, IF they have determined that Hack will never be 'the guy', cut his ass too.

Just be BOLD and make a decision is all I ask..because McCown is NOT a bold decision..it's a safe decision.  And not what WE need at this juncture.

My opinion, of course.

You can blame the owner for that.

Bowles and all the coaches are coaching for their jobs. I agree that they are making decisions that aren't in the best long term interest of the organization. This is nothing new here.

But Bowles doesn't pick the people on the roster. He is playing those that give him the best chance to make millions of dollars in the future.

Of all the things I can think of to blame Bowles for, that isn't one of them. That problem needs to be addressed at a different level.

Honest answer. If Petty was a better QB than McCown, he would be starting. You have a coach and a GM on the hot seat, that wants victories. It's not logical to start an inferior QB. 

And I presume you are basing that off of what Petty showed when he played in live action with the other starters right?

Oh....

Wait.....

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You can blame the owner for that.

Bowles and all the coaches are coaching for their jobs. I agree that they are making decisions that aren't in the best long term interest of the organization. This is nothing new here.

But Bowles doesn't pick the people on the roster. He is playing those that give him the best chance to make millions of dollars in the future.

Of all the things I can think of to blame Bowles for, that isn't one of them. That problem needs to be addressed at a different level.

Then address it.

The NYJ have no problem sending me endless text updates about every other position on the roster that they're 'addressing'..like cutting Jalen and then adding him to the PS.

If Petty is the potential ANSWER, he should be STARTING..if he ain't, and they know he AIN'T, he should be gone.  This isn't a logic exercise, but reality.

STOP treading water with a has been...or in this case with a has never.

STOP the idiocy!

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

And I presume you are basing that off of what Petty showed when he played in live action with the other starters right?

Oh....

Wait.....

I am not basing it on anything I know. I am just trying to look at the motivation behind the decision. I get that you, as a fan, feel unsatisfied and want to see confirmation with your own eyes.

But logically speaking. If Petty was the better QB to win games for the Jets, wouldn't the coach, who's job is to win games, who is on the hot seat, start Petty?  

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Then address it.

The NYJ have no problem sending me endless text updates about every other position on the roster that they're 'addressing'..like cutting Jalen and then adding him to the PS.

If Petty is the potential ANSWER, he should be STARTING..if he ain't, and they know he AIN'T, he should be gone.  This isn't a logic exercise, but reality.

STOP the idiocy!

Young players have been known to develop. Just because Petty and Hack is not the best QB on the roster today, does not mean they can't be in the future.

There are plenty of players on the team who potentially could be a starter in the future.

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Then address it.

STOP the idiocy!

Okay, I will try to explain it again.

I agree with the bolded part. I am just saying that the coach only controls one part of the equation. He has been asked to win as many games as possible with the 53 he is given. So that is what he will try to do.

Organizationally there are many issues, I agree.

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Then address it.

STOP the idiocy!

And you shouldn't really ever give the Jets your cell phone #. That is a scarier decision than anything we posted about in this thread lol.

13 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Then address it.

STOP the idiocy!

I'm all for giving Petty a shot, but this doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps the team views him as a young, cheap, capable backup with the potential to continue developing?  He certainly has a role to play on the roster until a potential replacement is put in place.

Young players have been known to develop. Just because Petty and Hack is not the best QB on the roster today, does not mean they can't be in the future.
There are plenty of players on the team who potentially could be a starter in the future.

I don't understand how you can post this and be the same guy who started the thread. This is literally the reason fans want to see Petty and believe not starting him is hurting the team. This is your answer!

Logically if you are a HC on the hot seat who would you start?

QB1: only 4 starts, likely begins the season as a 3/10 but could potentially end the season as a 7/10 with more experience.

OR

QB2: 15 years experience, hit his ceiling already. Will begin the season at a 5/10 and end it that way too.

The best interests of the team long term is to find out whether QB1 can grow into a 7/10 player and possibly more in future seasons.

The best interests of a HC in the short term is to go with the guy that guarantees you a 5/10 so you can at least pick up 3-5 wins and try to save your job.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

19 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I don't understand how you can post this and be the same guy who started the thread. This is literally the reason fans want to see Petty and believe not starting him is hurting the team. This is your answer!

Logically if you are a HC on the hot seat who would you start?

QB1: only 4 starts, likely begins the season as a 3/10 but could potentially end the season as a 7/10 with more experience.

OR

QB2: 15 years experience, hit his ceiling already. Will begin the season at a 5/10 and end it that way too.

The best interests of the team long term is to find out whether QB1 can grow into a 7/10 player and possibly more in future seasons.

The best interests of a HC in the short term is to go with the guy that guarantees you a 5/10 so you can at least pick up 3-5 wins and try to save your job.

Is it really hard to understand? Just because Petty is not the best QB on the roster today, doesn't mean he can't be in the future.  Maybe it's next week, next season, maybe never

As far as the rest, I answered that in your other post. HC is going to start the best 11 who gives his team the best chance to win. Again what I wrote previously:

I am not basing it on anything I know. I am just trying to look at the motivation behind the decision. I get that you, as a fan, feel unsatisfied and want to see confirmation with your own eyes.

But logically speaking. If Petty was the better QB to win games for the Jets, wouldn't the coach, who's job is to win games, who is on the hot seat, start Petty?  

Is it really hard to understand? Just because Petty is not the best QB on the roster today, doesn't mean he can't be in the future.  Maybe it's next week, next season, maybe never
As far as the rest, I answered that in your other post. HC is going to start the best 11 who gives his team the best chance to win. Again what I wrote previously:

QBs don't just magically get better over time. They get better with game experience. Just bc Petty wasn't better than McCown to start the season (if that was even the case since there wasn't a true open competition) doesn't mean he wouldn't have been better by the end.

The bottom line is our extremely risk averse HC took the safe route which hurts the team in the long-term bc Petty (or Hack) could be taking their lumps and getting game exposure in a season where I can guarantee you we won't be making the playoffs but are instead sitting on the sidelines watching a player that should not be here next year.

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

QBs don't just magically get better over time. They get better with game experience. Just bc Petty wasn't better than McCown to start the season (if that was even the case since there wasn't a true open competition) doesn't mean he wouldn't have been better by the end.

The bottom line is our extremely risk averse HC took the safe route which hurts the team in the long-term bc Petty (or Hack) could be taking their lumps and getting game exposure in a season where I can guarantee you we won't be making the playoffs but are instead sitting on the sidelines watching a player that should not be here next year.

That's the point. How does it hurt the Jets long term or short term if Petty doesn't start. The Jets are going to draft or sign a QB in the offseason. It's guaranteed. You know why? Because Petty is not good enough for the Jets not to bring in another QB. If Petty was good enough, he would be able to beat out McCown. So no harm.  And how good would Petty have to play to not bring in another QB? And if he was capable of that, wouldn't he be starting?

McCown is currently the beat chance to win now due to the unknown, which is why he is starting for the coach on the hot seat.  However he is not the future for the Jets.  Lets say Petty or Hack for that matter, get some much needed reps as a young QB, whos to say that he doesnt improve with those reps.  By the end of the year, whos to say that we see enough in either on of those quarterbacks that we couldnt build around them.  Perhaps they coukd trade back getting more picks, or pick up that cant miss LT, or That special RB, or etc.

The Jets are not winning enough games to be a factor this year, which makes starting a QB you know is not the future of the team foolish.  

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

That statement is flat untrue. And naive.

QB is not simply an A is better than B player.  The real question is a series of questions:

1. Who gives us the best chance to win this week?

2. Who gives us the best chance to win in 6 weeks?

3. Who gives us the best chance to win next year?

4. In two years?

5. Can our QB be the leader of this team in 5 years?

A lot of head coaches in the NFL get tunnel vision on each game, and especially when their job is in jeopardy are only asking the first question.

You can argue that McClown is the answer to question one. But in almost all organizations the head coach reports to the GM because at it's core and especially for QBs those other questions must be asked.

And the reality is, when you have a young growing team question #1 is BY Far the least important. It is almost irrelevant. The teams goal this year is to try and win every game while building a developing a team. 

McClown is not even in the conversation for questions 3,4 and 5. He is a 38 year old JAG, that manages a game OK, puts up OK stats but really does not do much to help you win.

Starting McClown is devastating for this team. You need to answer all of these questions. Every rep that McCLown gets is a rep Petty does not get. Every game McClown starts is another game that we have no idea of Petty is the answer to questions 2,3, 4 and 5, which again for a young team like the Jets are the more important questions.

We need the answer because it completely dictates how we approach the offseason. 

Look at the Eli situation. Eli was NOT a better QB than Warner. He was not likely to be better than Warner in 6 weeks, or even a year. But in 2 years, 5 years down the road they needed to see if Eli was the guy. And every rep, every snap every game was critical to him developing and answering those questions. So they manned up and started Eli. (Also remember Warner was really not HOF Warner he was really hampered by that thumb)

So it is IRRELEVANT whether Petty is better than McClown today. What is important is can he be the guy of the future. And the only way to know that is to play him, Playing McClown is literally sacrificing the future of this team for some short term gain that is not even likely.

Reality is that starting a veteran retread QB over a young QB, especially for teams like the Jets are very young is literally the worst possible decision an organization can make. 

All it does is continue a cycle of mediocrity. Petty might not be the answer, but he may be. And that is very very valuable.

It's like if someone came up to you and said I will give you $1,000. But you can turn the $1,000 down and instead give me $1,000 and you will get 25% of the stock of this startup that has a revolutionary product. Many would take the $1,000. Some would invest and lose it all. Some would invest and become millionaires.

Starting a veteran is taking the $1.000. You will never become a millionaire, which is winning the super bowl. And yes, you might lose it all, but the NFL is a socialist state so if you lose your $1.000 you have the opportunity to invest in the next company at a discount. (higher draft pick)

You want the $1,000. A head coach left to his own devices actually deep down wants the $1,000 because he gets another year of getting the $1,000. A well run team goes for the millions.

I've been saying all along petty should be starting! When do, we finally give this kid a shot! McCown is mediocre his int late 1st half half leading to pats scoring td was backbreaker. Petty tough big, cannon for arm would stretch defenses is Mobile looked like a new qb against Giants this preseason, Bowles playing McCown sets team back because we'll go into another off-season not knowing what we have in kids

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Powell and McGuire are a helluva running game. Agree no pass rush. McCown has been pretty decent. The NFL is wide open no team is separating themselves from the rest. 

Powell and McGuire had one good game against the Jaguars. In the other five games this season, the rushing attack averages less than 100 yards per game. That’s not a helluva anything. McCown has a 1:1 touchdown to interception ratio and the team is one of the lowest scoring in the league. This isn’t a playoff team. It isn’t even close. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Two different issues.

He shouldn’t be given the opportunity to continue to botch the roster. I’ve seen enough to know that Macc isn’t taking this team to the next level. It’s evident in who he brings in to QB the team and who he wastes high picks on. 

7 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

these Are the jets... so to answer your question...  no :(

The OP is correct, there is no harm to the team if Petty and hack are not and never will be NFL QBs and the Jet actually draft a 1st round QB in 2018

Benefits to starting them;

1. could see progress with game experience that helps the team keep one or both as developmental players/backups - maybe the franchise?
  2. other teams could see "something" and generate trade interest
  3. get fans excited if they show flashes of good
  4. better draft pick if they are bad

Risks to starting them;

1. could be just good enough to prevent Jets from drafting a QB high in the draft
  2. prove they are not worth anything in trade and demotivate the rest of the team
  3. motivate fans to fly banners (unknown backup QB is hope, bad backup QB is despair)

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

I find it interesting that Geno showed more than Petty ever did and 1 was persona non grata while the other is everyones darling.  hmm.

he did? I recall seeing some of the worst QB play ever watching Geno. Kid was a mental mistake machine.

I find it interesting that Geno showed more than Petty ever did and 1 was persona non grata while the other is everyones darling.  hmm.

LMAO

Gene had over 20 starts, and significant 1st team reps over 2 seasons.

We eventually made the assessment that Geno wasn’t the answer after seeing him play games...over two seasons. He digressed over time. I would love to be able to make that assessment with Petty, but that would require him to actually play in a meaningful situation.

Petty gets no 1st team reps, spends the first half of last season on IR ,and a few starts after the team as a whole has mailed it in...and somehow we know he’s hot garbage.

This isn’t about Geno, or Petty in particular ...it’s about playing an old, limited QB on a team that isn’t doing anything fantastic this year. It’s short-sighted is all.

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

he did? I recall seeing some of the worst QB play ever watching Geno. Kid was a mental mistake machine.

Geno is a guy who couldn't grasp time zone change. It was way to much for the team to expect him to master an offensive playbook. He gives idiots a bad name.:D

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

QB is not simply an A is better than B player.  The real question is a series of questions:

4. In two years?

A lot of head coaches in the NFL get tunnel vision on each game, and especially when their job is in jeopardy are only asking the first question.

You can argue that McClown is the answer to question one. But in almost all organizations the head coach reports to the GM because at it's core and especially for QBs those other questions must be asked.

And the reality is, when you have a young growing team question #1 is BY Far the least important. It is almost irrelevant. The teams goal this year is to try and win every game while building a developing a team. 

McClown is not even in the conversation for questions 3,4 and 5. He is a 38 year old JAG, that manages a game OK, puts up OK stats but really does not do much to help you win.

Starting McClown is devastating for this team. You need to answer all of these questions. Every rep that McCLown gets is a rep Petty does not get. Every game McClown starts is another game that we have no idea of Petty is the answer to questions 2,3, 4 and 5, which again for a young team like the Jets are the more important questions.

We need the answer because it completely dictates how we approach the offseason. 

Look at the Eli situation. Eli was NOT a better QB than Warner. He was not likely to be better than Warner in 6 weeks, or even a year. But in 2 years, 5 years down the road they needed to see if Eli was the guy. And every rep, every snap every game was critical to him developing and answering those questions. So they manned up and started Eli. (Also remember Warner was really not HOF Warner he was really hampered by that thumb)

So it is IRRELEVANT whether Petty is better than McClown today. What is important is can he be the guy of the future. And the only way to know that is to play him, Playing McClown is literally sacrificing the future of this team for some short term gain that is not even likely.

Reality is that starting a veteran retread QB over a young QB, especially for teams like the Jets are very young is literally the worst possible decision an organization can make. 

All it does is continue a cycle of mediocrity. Petty might not be the answer, but he may be. And that is very very valuable.

It's like if someone came up to you and said I will give you $1,000. But you can turn the $1,000 down and instead give me $1,000 and you will get 25% of the stock of this startup that has a revolutionary product. Many would take the $1,000. Some would invest and lose it all. Some would invest and become millionaires.

Starting a veteran is taking the $1.000. You will never become a millionaire, which is winning the super bowl. And yes, you might lose it all, but the NFL is a socialist state so if you lose your $1.000 you have the opportunity to invest in the next company at a discount. (higher draft pick)

You want the $1,000. A head coach left to his own devices actually deep down wants the $1,000 because he gets another year of getting the $1,000. A well run team goes for the millions.

How is my statement naive? Does the logic not make sense? Again you're bringing the future of the Jets. I am saying when you have a coach, GM on the hot seat, who need victories to secure a job moving forward, why would they choose to start the 2nd best player at a position. 

If the owner tasks the coaches, management, to develop the youth and not be concerned with wins, then give them extensions. I don't need alternate examples to understand a point that has been driven to the ground countless number of times on here.

Read my original post. Just trying to use logic in understanding what the team is doing. We are not privy to that info.

Let me ask this. What is the logical answer that Petty is not starting?

What would Petty have to do to avoid the Jets bringing in another QB next year? 

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

4. In two years?

Thank you for this. This x 1,000. 

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

LMAO

Gene had over 20 starts, and significant 1st team reps over 2 seasons.

We eventually made the assessment that Geno wasn’t the answer after seeing him play games...over two seasons. He digressed over time. I would love to be able to make that assessment with Petty, but that would require him to actually play in a meaningful situation.

Petty gets no 1st team reps, spends the first half of last season on IR ,and a few starts after the team as a whole has mailed it in...and somehow we know he’s hot garbage.

This isn’t about Geno, or Petty in particular ...it’s about playing an old, limited QB on a team that isn’t doing anything fantastic this year. It’s short-sighted is all.

it seems petty can do nothing in bowles' eyes to become the starter..

& yes, smith was given a real opportunity to be the long term answer here, also at the expense of petty, who outplayed him in training camp/preseason last year.. aside from trolling, i question how that can be rationally debated..

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Thank you for this. This x 1,000. 

Let me ask you the same then because maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

What is the logical answer that Petty is not starting?

What would Petty have to do to avoid the Jets bringing in another QB next year?

Archived