How does not starting Petty hurt the Jets?

RESNewYork

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Geno is a guy who couldn't grasp time zone change. It was way to much for the team to expect him to master an offensive playbook. He gives idiots a bad name.:D

And, despite this, he was better than Petty with the same amount of time in the offense under Todd Bowles and without the redshirt year free pass Petty had. For all of the people touting Petty's  potential greatness, he could not beat out Geno Smith... and despite McCown's pedestrian at best track record, Petty has not beat him out either.

It's hard believing him to have franchise QB potential when he cannot compete at a level that compels the team to take him off the bench and put him on the field...and even when he has, by necessity, been on the field he has not lived up to the hype. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Did RES go to bed, RES you should read what nycdan just wrote, it's quite interesting... Oh wait, us who don't think Petty or Hack should be playing are void of complete (what was the word you used) LOGIC ?  

Damn, first you ask me not to post anymore  in this thread. Then you call me out to answer someone else's post. When did I say you or any poster didn't have logic? It was simple question that I was asking about any coach really.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

So they cut and trade guys at safety so they can start rookies, but sign a sh*tty placeholding career backup just in case at the most important position in the sport? Why do we need "insurance"?  When will they be ready?  When will they be the best player?

I have no idea when they will be ready. No one knows unless there are Jet employees on here. I just have opinions like everyone else here. I don't see how anything I've posted as trying to insult in any way. I'm guessing, just guessing, the reason why a GM would sign a McCown to this roster was insurance in case the two young QBs were not ready to start

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

McCown is averaging 229 yards per game with 7 TDs and 6 INTs.  He does have a very high completion % (just over 70%).  He's also sacked an average of 3 times per game which is among the most in the league.  Across most statistical measures, he is average or just below average.  But here's the thing - you look to a veteran QB to do a few things better than a young one and ball protection is one of them.  McCown's 6 INTs is bad.  His 19 sacks is very bad (4th worst in league).  His 6 fumbles is awful.  This is a guy who has limited upside to lead a game-winning drive, and who fails to do the one thing you expect most from a veteran QB which is 'protect the ball'.  

So tell me again why it's so vital we watch him continue to do what he's doing rather than give Petty a chance to see if he can do better?  Maybe Petty fails again and we go back to McCown, but in that case, will we have really lost anything of value?  And if Petty plays like he did against the Giants, we will have won something substantial.  Low risk, high reward.  Personally, I like those odds.

So this is going in circles. Its not vital for me, not vital for you, not vital for any fan. We don't have skin in the game. I merely started this thread to point to the reason why Bowles, not me, is starting McCown. I've said it enough times why I believe he's starting McCown, and what I think, not know is the reasons behind it. 

It seems fans are trying to take this to another point. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And you approve of this, as in you are more interested in bowels saving his job than the new york jets improving long term and winning the big one.

I believe it is more important to retain Bowles and Maccagnan than draft position for the success of the franchise. So how ever many wins that equates to, performances that the owner's need to see, I hope they both hit that mark and get extended.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Are you intentionally being obtuse? I provided a long and CLEAR explanation on why starting McClown does not make any sense at all for the ORGANIZATION. It may make sense from the narrow standpoint that it makes sense for Bowles to try and keep his job. You seem to be missing that for this team in their current situation development of players is much much more important than squeaking out useless wins. The roster moves were done to create an environment that would allow that. And QB is the most important position of all. Did you not understand the investment analogy? This team is investing in their future. Therefore it is completely illogical to trot out the guy that has no place in that future. It is a short sighted dumb move that should not be allowed. Harsh reality is that Mac should have refused to sign McClown in the first place so as to not create this scenario in the first place. Every game McClown plays puts us farther and farther from having a competitive team long term and guarantees a cycle of mediocrity. Didn't you see the error of starting Fitzpatrick? By your posts I assume not.

Serious? I'm being obtuse? I have been quite pleasant to everyone and fully understand what is being said. Having disagreements is not being obtuse.

If Bowles is hurting the franchise long term then he should be fired today. Why would the organization allow that.

I just tried to provide some thoughts as to why McCown is starting. And how I feel it will not hurt the Jets. The rest of your disagreements feels more like the disagreements that are ongoing on this board, but nothing I've stated. 

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

Serious? I'm being obtuse? I have been quite pleasant to everyone and fully understand what is being said. Having disagreements is not being obtuse.

If Bowles is hurting the franchise long term then he should be fired today. Why would the organization allow that.

I just tried to provide some thoughts as to why McCown is starting. And how I feel it will not hurt the Jets. The rest of your disagreements feels more like the disagreements that are ongoing on this board, but nothing I've stated. 

This guy.

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Again, starting McClown only helps Bowles, at least in his mind. It is allowed because of the power structure that Woody created where the HC is equal to the GM, and in the case of Bowles that is a very very bad thing.

18 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Damn, first you ask me not to post anymore  in this thread. Then you call me out to answer someone else's post. When did I say you or any poster didn't have logic? It was simple question that I was asking about any coach really.

Sorry, I was in bed lol... I guess you didn't want to post my entire reply, because I mentioned it was all in fun, and it was good to debate.

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Sorry, I was in bed lol... I guess you didn't want to post my entire reply, because I mentioned it was all in fun, and it was good to debate.

Man it's all good.

Honestly, wasnt trying to come off as insulting you. Was just trying to throw some points out there.

Like I've said before I would've started Petty since week 3. I'm not saying Petty is the future or he's the answer. I'm playing Petty in order to evaluate and develop him. McCown should be nothing more than a emergency/stopgap guy. 
What if Petty is the answer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I find it interesting that Geno showed more than Petty ever did and 1 was persona non grata while the other is everyones darling.  hmm.
Geno was a piece of crap who was given ample opportunity, petty hasn't been given chance, watching jets giants preseason game petty was obviously much better then gena

In my opinion Hackenberg is a bust from what we've seen. So that leaves Petty an unproven untried rookie. McCown well he's serviceable but 38 not in the future plans. 
Lets see what Petty has so we going into the off season we either need to start over at the QB position or not.......
Well said

Serious question, did you pay attention at all to the "QB competition" that took place this past offseason?

What about what happened this preseason makes you think they are going to have an honest competition next year?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
Petty looked awesome against Giants there was no, qb competition

I am not basing it on anything I know. I am just trying to look at the motivation behind the decision. I get that you, as a fan, feel unsatisfied and want to see confirmation with your own eyes.
But logically speaking. If Petty was the better QB to win games for the Jets, wouldn't the coach, who's job is to win games, who is on the hot seat, start Petty?  
Not if it would embarrass gm on, how bad pick was

petty keeps getting hurt 

anyone who thinks that the coaches or whoever are holding this player back are delusional 

Petty has gotten at least 2 really good chances to be the QB of this team and he got hurt both times

Say what you will about McCown he's at least durable enough to be a Pro QB. that is not the case with Bryce Petty

by the way I think Petty has the most talent and confidence of any QB on this roster. He just keeps getting hurt. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

petty keeps getting hurt 

anyone who thinks that the coaches or whoever are holding this player back are delusional 

Petty has gotten at least 2 really good chances to be the QB of this team and he got hurt both times

Say what you will about McCown he's at least durable enough to be a Pro QB. that is not the case with Bryce Petty

by the way I think Petty has the most talent and confidence of any QB on this roster. He just keeps getting hurt. 

McCown is an egg too.  He's just a better egg than Petty

On 10/17/2017 at 7:14 PM, RESNewYork said:

I know I'm going to get slammed for starting this thread. I see the same arguments over and over and over in every thread but I can't wrap my head around it.  There is so much vitriol about fake fans, real fans, slamming and supporting the coaches and front office. 

How does not starting Petty hurt the Jets short term, long term? Is there really a scenario where the Jets don't bring in another QB prospect next year or free agent starter?

I'm going to throw this in here as well. Wouldn't a coach on the hot seat play the best QB to get a victory? 

Yeah.  If the young QBs play and play well.  

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Again, how well would the young QBS have to play to avoid us signing or drafting a QB? And if they were that good, shouldn't they be able to beat out McCown?

It seems Petty and Hack cant beat him out not that Todd Bowles is smart enough to determine that but its what we have to go on. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

It seems Petty and Hack cant beat him out not that Todd Bowles is smart enough to determine that but its what we have to go on. 

Well I hope Todd Bowles is not dumb enough to not start the best QB on his roster when his future employment depends on it. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

petty keeps getting hurt 

The O-line got Petty hurt

12 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Again, how well would the young QBS have to play to avoid us signing or drafting a QB? And if they were that good, shouldn't they be able to beat out McCown?

Ideally? A 2TD:1Int ratio. Since we're kinda deep in the year now, 2,000-2,500 yards, 60+ completion %, and a 85+ QBR would probably put off making a high draft pick/signing an expensive FA.

In most scenarios probably.  Given Todd Bowles's tendencies to favor a veteran QB, it's totally reasonable for people to question it.  If Petty or Hack (Longshot) managed to pull off what McCown has done so far, statistically and record wise, we'd be in pretty good shape. I think Petty could honestly pull off what McCown has done so far.

Chad Pennington was a horrible practice player jets didn't view him as a starter he was pressed into action rest is history, look at Goff for rams last yr he looked worse then petty rams stuck with, him & are reaping rewards of patience

Petty is smart enthusiastic big & mobile, has cannon for an arm he'd excel with offense, last yr was not, fair test they, had no tightend the offensive line in a shambles. He didn't even get practice time with starters til. end of yr. Plus he missed 9 weeks shoulder injury which set him back, why would anyone in their right mind want to see mcclown play?

Here's the thing about petty. Hack plays preseason game does okay media boasts how good he looked. Petty comes in against Giants 3 Td's would have been 4 if didn't get hurt & of course they say he played against backups. Gena Smith same game looked, like sh*t against our backups. My point petty spread the ball. around, was assertive team rallied around him. He's not playing because a$$hole Bowles doesn't have the balls to take chance with petty, he actually thinks this team is playoff caliber & will only play a veteran at qb. His defense stinks & he keeps drafting defense, jets draft 2 receivers with potential & they sit while he plays Kersey & Kearse 2nmore over the hill players. **** Bowles! Next yr jets still won't play young qb, this moron will find another retread. I thought we were rebuilding? If we are & u want to, build, for future then why are younger guys not playing?

Petty's durability is a real concern for me if he is ever viewed as a long term starter. He got hurt in preseason last year, regular season last year, preseason this year. That's a high percentage of significant injuries with how many games he has appeared in.  

Nevertheless, he should get a chance since last years chance was when the team had completely quit. If we lose to ATL/Buffalo, he'll start.

If he flops again they need to give Hack a few games too, just to officially close the book on that account as well.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:19 PM, CanadienJetsFan said:

Can't you folks read the writing on the wall?  management simply doesn't believe Petty is starting QB material. This doesn't mean that he won't get the chance to start this year.... a 4 game loosing streak will put him in. Once he starts you'll realize that he's not "the guy "

You nailed it here. I will also add that the fact that Hack is still on this roster tells you how they really feel about Petty. As poorly as Hack looked in the pre-season, it seems that the Jets feel he has way more upside than Petty. I would not be surprised if/when the time comes to change QB's, that they don't go right to Hack.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:18 PM, RESNewYork said:

Well I hope Todd Bowles is not dumb enough to not start the best QB on his roster when his future employment depends on it. 

oh, i don't believe for a moment, bowles is not concerning himself with his future employment.. quite the opposite.. now, as far as petty's future employment??

IMO, bowles had already decided mccown or pretty much any FA QB was going to be his starter, until being mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs.. for no other reason, he clearly values established veterans, over younger guys with potential.. 

the idea of potentially winning 1 or 2 games while developing the kid that won the job in training camp/preseason, held no appeal to bowles.. potentially winning 6 or 7 with mccown seems to though.. zero sum game..

4 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

oh, i don't believe for a moment, bowles is not concerning himself with his future employment.. quite the opposite.. now, as far as petty's future employment??

IMO, bowles had already decided mccown or pretty much any FA QB was going to be his starter, until being mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs.. for no other reason, he clearly values established veterans, over younger guys with potential.. 

the idea of potentially winning 1 or 2 games while developing the kid that won the job in training camp/preseason, held no appeal to bowles.. potentially winning 6 or 7 with mccown seems to though.. zero sum game..

you just explained his future employment depends on it which is winning. coaches want to win. there are 500 ways described why Petty should start because he's young and played well in pre-season. Fine. I just started this thread to say why I felt they were starting McCown.

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

you just explained his future employment depends on it which is winning. coaches want to win. there are 500 ways described why Petty should start because he's young and played well in pre-season. Fine. I just started this thread to say why I felt they were starting McCown.

forget for a moment all the ways described here why petty should have been the week 1 starter.. bowles flat out lied when he said there was going to be a 3 man competition at QB.. the kid didn't lose his shot.. he never really had one to begin with.. petty never taking a single snap with the 1st team in preseason should tell you all you need to know..

not starting petty hurts the jets because conceivably he could be our long term answer & we probably won't find that out (one way or another) now..

3 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

forget for a moment all the ways described here why petty should have been the week 1 starter.. bowles flat out lied when he said there was going to be a 3 man competition at QB.. the kid didn't lose his shot.. he never really had one to begin with.. petty never taking a single snap with the 1st team in preseason should tell you all you need to know..

not starting petty hurts the jets because conceivably he could be our long term answer & we probably won't find that out (one way or another) now..

You know what, no one has brought up the idea of how Bowles lied, how Petty never got a fair chance, and how the Jets don't know if Petty is the long term answer at QB. 

Now the Jets FO doesn't know if they should get another QB for 2018? Because Petty could be better than Darnold, or Mayfield, or Allen or whoever we are sucking for at the moment, or a free agent like Garropolo or Cousins. 

But Petty is better than McCown. And Bowles is not starting Petty because Bowles doesn't care about winning. He only cares about starting veterans. That's what is most important to him. 

Man it's cool you disagree but it's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread. Actually it's been discussed ad nauseam in almost every thread on this site.

Archived