Chiefs-Raiders, why NFL ratings are down, and EAD Jets

T0mShane

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That was in support of James Franklin and in no way an endorsement of Trace McSorley

I know this is part of your schtick, but for the sake of serious conversation, and forgetting about Hackenberg, is it possible that certain types of QB's are a better fit for certain systems than others? Or, can any QB work well in any system? Just trying to gain some knowledge.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I know this is part of your schtick, but for the sake of serious conversation, and forgetting about Hackenberg, is it possible that certain types of QB's are a better fit for certain systems than others? Or, can any QB work well in any system? Just trying to gain some knowledge.

I’m sorry. Shtick?

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

For the record, English is my second language, so hopefully my terrible spelling from time to time can be excused.

I wasn’t worried about the spelling; just the implication that I don’t provide sincere, credible, factual analysis.

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

OK, great, thanks. So can we get back to my question?

Yes. To answer it, you’ll need to recall that the excuses that the Hackenberg Camp produced hinged on 1. PSU losing scholarships and 2. Franklin being awful. Since the minute Hackenberg handed his jersey back in, PSU football has become one of the elite teams in college football. Meanwhile, Hackenberg remains awful. I’m no logician, but I’m gonna say that Hackenberg was a bigger factor in PSU sucking than either the scholarships or Franklin issues.

29 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes. To answer it, you’ll need to recall that the excuses that the Hackenberg Camp produced hinges on 1. PSU losing scholarships and 2. Franklin being awful. Since the minute Hackenberg handed his jersey back in, PSU football has become one of the elite teams in college football. 

I don't care about Hackenberg, I am merely asking for you to give me a football education on QB's and systems.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:41 PM, T0mShane said:

1. They need to kill Thursday Night Football. Nobody is ready for it. Nobody wants it. It’s gross. It’s like waking somebody up at 3 a.m. and asking them to immediately take the SAT in front of a million people. Players get hurt more, linemen get beat more, refs make worse calls, and this is supposedly the appetizer for Sunday, and it sucks. Sundays used to be sacrosanct, but now they feel like the last two cold, clammy slices of a pizza pie that you don’t really want to eat, but you force down anyway because it’s pizza. 

2. I’m in an incredibly hipster bar and a bunch of the hipster dudes—who have NO BUSINESS talking football—are all talking about their fantasy teams. They talk at length about their scoring systems, about players who score points for them, those who cost them games, etc...but then one of them (while pulling on a vape pen) said, “they just called a wideout screen that started three yards behind the line of scrimmage that ended up netting seven yards! Why does that not count as ten yards?” Point being, these are dudes who didn’t learn the game by watching or playing football, they “learned” football from fantasy sports and Madden. 

3. Tony Romo is good at doing color analysis, and this is significant because another area where the NFL has fallen off is in its presentation, particularly the studio shows and announcing crews. The NFL has spent a decade chasing customer bases that will neverrrrrr watch football on a week to week basis, and it’s ruining the product. They need to get back to speaking to the 24/7 football fan: the dude who follows the game, knows the players, gives a sh*t about the history and future of the game. Instead, Goodell is chasing housewives and teenagers, using circus clowns like Deion Sanders and Rex and Rodney Harrison and an assortment of castoff Fox News bleach blondes to chatter over and during broadcasts. Goodell is obsessed with expanding into Europe, which is heinous. Get back to the core customer. Stop turning game analysis into Kardashian-level banalities wrapped in embarrassing T&A/COME ON MAN/watch me dance here in a suit/I’m a washed up coach let me air my grievances giftwrap.

4. Andy Reid is better than Belichick with the difference being that Reid is the one who doesn’t cheat. 

5. There is so much sneaky talent on the Chiefs roster that I’m fairly annoyed that we won’t hire John Dorsey to either supplement or replace Macc.

6. If I have to choose between Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins, I’m choosing Smith and it’s not really close. Cousins is going to cost some owner $120 mil and is they’re going to regret every penny of it.

7. Justin Houston was a third round pick who hit every SPARQ marker, and Khalil Mack was a first rounder who hit those marks as well, and they’re dominant players. Mike Maccagnan has quite obviously never heard of SPARQ, Sackseer, or Lewin. This is a huge problem, because it leads to Jordan Jenkins and Lorenzo Maudlin. Edge rusher, after QB, is the most important position in the sport, and Macc is clueless at drafting the first and second most important positions in the sport.

8. I’ve been awful at evaluating which college QBs will be good, but I desperately wanted the Jets to draft Derek Carr. He’s a talented, flawed, player who reminds me of Bryce Petty in that Todd Bowles would find a reason to bury a talented, flawed young QB on the bench forever. 

Always thought half this board was hipsters 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yes. To answer it, you’ll need to recall that the excuses that the Hackenberg Camp produced hinged on 1. PSU losing scholarships and 2. Franklin being awful. Since the minute Hackenberg handed his jersey back in, PSU football has become one of the elite teams in college football. Meanwhile, Hackenberg remains awful. I’m no logician, but I’m gonna say that Hackenberg was a bigger factor in PSU sucking than either the scholarships or Franklin issues.

Christian Hackenberg hasn't played quality football since 2013. It's been 4 years and all he does is suck terribly every time he's given the chance. There's no reason to be optimistic about this player and in fact, there's no reason for him to be on the active roster at all. Put Hack on the Psquad and if someone swoops they did us a favor. 

14 hours ago, gEYno said:

I mean, that's your schtick here, no? You don't genuinely believe you're arguing against opinions that anyone actually holds?

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I know this is part of your schtick

TFW you learn a new word and can't wait to use it

Couple of thoughts:

1) Agreed about TNF in general but Chiefs/Raiders was one of the best games of the year, so the timing is pretty weird.

2) The fact that Hackenberg is awful at football doesn't negate the fact that he showed more promise in a pro style system and he never had the skillset to run Franklin's spread offense. It was a fair excuse for people grasping at straws during Hackenberg's rookie campaign. Clearly it's now irrelevant. Hackenberg is a terrible football player, the sample size and the QB situation over the last two years makes that pretty clear.

3) I still think Alex Smith is the guy he was for the first 12 years of his career rather than the guy he is this year. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting side note to the Shane troll attempt that we have gone over numerous times before- I am in Jupiter FL, for a baseball tournament and watched Hack's brother play. He is a catcher, has a great arm and good head for the game. Go figure.  Committed to Clemson.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Interesting side note to the Shane troll attempt that we have gone over numerous times before- I am in Jupiter FL, for a baseball tournament and watched Hack's brother play. He is a catcher, has a great arm and good head for the game. Go figure.  Committed to Clemson.

Smart kid,Franklin would of ruined him to

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Smart kid,Franklin would of ruined him to

I think "Franklin ruined Hack" is a stretch that I am not sure anyone said exactly. Hack certainly did not fit the system that Franklin likes to employ, and that Donovan ran. And, PSU runs a very different system the last 2 years under Moorehead.

28 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I think "Franklin ruined Hack" is a stretch that I am not sure anyone said exactly. Hack certainly did not fit the system that Franklin likes to employ, and that Donovan ran. And, PSU runs a very different system the last 2 years under Moorehead.

The only system Hack fits in is the one in Toronto he will be playing in 2 years

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I hope he ends up on the Mets because I miss Mackey Sasser.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I hope he ends up on the Mets because I miss Mackey Sasser.

That's really good. Not sure everyone will get that, but it is really good.

I searched for a Mackey Sasser throwing video and this is the first thing that came up.

Archived