### Jets \ Dolphins Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

There are three distinct questions about the game today:

1. Do the Jets have a core group, however small, to build a quality team around? I think the answer is yes, of course, some of the younger players are playing well. Will they make mistakes, even stupid mistakes, over the next few years, yes of course.

2. Is Mac the guy to rebuild this team? There are people arguing in both directions. IMO, the jury is still out. I don't personally care if neither Petty nor Hack work out; although I think he drafted Hack way too high, many people miss out on QBs even drafted in the 1st round (or at #1). Most of these gambles don't pay off. Still he has done some good and some bad.

3. Is Bowles the guy to coach this team moving forward? I have been on the fence for a while. The team plays with heart; and it mostly gets better every week. The problem is that Bowles himself doesn't seem to be progressing. Sitting on a lead after loosing that way last week and with your opponent winning that way last week is inexcusable IMO. Here is the real question: is there a chance that either Petty or Hack can be the one? If the answer is yes (or possibly) they must play these guys now and see what we have. The crap about not wanting the team to get into the habit of losing and giving the young WRs a chance to grow is just ridiculous as we have been loosing and Bowles/McCown covet the vets. How much experience are these guys getting? Clearly Anderson was frustrated with McCown's play and he missed a wide open RB last week at the end of the game. In my mind it is time to move on from Bowles; let's give Morton a chance - the O, even with McCown is playing pretty well.

Clearly I am frustrated today. Not so much with the loss, but the way we lost. This isn't down to which players we have, but how we use them. Going conservative when in the lead and then sitting by hoping for the end of the game to eek out the win. You don't wait until the other team has 17 unanswered points to start making your move. Last week we did the same against the Pats. Clearly Bowles, with nothing to loose this year, hasn't grasped the concept of putting away a team. People bash BB for running up the score, but this is what you have to do in today's game. With QB protection, holding, and PI calls, a team can score 2 or 3 touchdowns in a quarter. 20 years ago, however aggravating, you could sit on a 2 TD lead. Today you can't. If something is working for you, you continue to put up points until there is less than 5 minutes in the game. Playing 3 quarters isn't enough against a mediocre team, let alone a good one.

Main problem I have with your first point is that "management" put a failed/uber veteran QB to lead this supposed "core group".   And guess what?  He makes what most would charitably call a "rookie throw" late yesterday's game which sealed the loss.  Mcc needed to start either Petty or Hack to see if a.) they could play the position and b.) if they were capable of becoming an integral part of this "core group".

As for Mcc?  IMO, the jury has already rendered a verdict of incompetence and/or gross negligence.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Main problem I have with your first point is that "management" put a failed/uber veteran QB to lead this supposed "core group".   And guess what?  He makes what most would charitably call a "rookie throw" late yesterday's game which sealed the loss.  Mcc needed to start either Petty or Hack to see if a.) they could play the position and b.) if they were capable of becoming an integral part of this "core group".

As for Mcc?  IMO, the jury has already rendered a verdict of incompetence and/or gross negligence.

Yeah; fair point. Like I said there are a lot of pros and a lot of cons to what he did. I tend to grade on a curve - judging more harshly on the past year vs. his first and also understanding that you can't judge him on unrealistic expectations. I also don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Does Mac still think that Hack is the future? what the conversations with Woody were about, and what the plan is for the off season. I wouldn't loose any sleep if he is let go, or if he stays. However, he has to draft and sign well this offseason if he is going to stay.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FTR, LaGreca and Buttle keep saying “It’s not Todd Bowles out there throwing interceptions,” in case you’re wondering what  the position of Jets state-sponsored media is at 5:21 p.m. on October 21st, 2017.

Buttle is a Jets apologist. LaGreca is much more fair in his assessments. Yesterday was on Skrine for his penalties and as good as McCown plays in spurts, it’s obvious why he is a 38 year old journeyman.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:29 AM, munchmemory said:

I think they look at wins and wins only and what gives them the best chance to win. They don't want experiment with unproven (basic gameday management) commodities ie. Petty etc., not just yet.

Archived