Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

Well offseason is here unfortunately. Here is what I would do if I was running the Yankees.

1. Sign Cashman & Girardi
2. Get Tanaka to not opt-out
3. Teach Greg Bird how to slide
4. Get Gleybor Torres healthy so he can take over 3B by June.
5. Thank CC but don't resign him.
6. Make sure Greg Bird is taking this sliding thing seriously.
7. Buy Severino a house next to Pedro Martinez so he spends even more time with him this offseason.
8. Find a DH. Or sign Shohei Ohtani and have the team moved to the National League.
9. Get Chance Adams ready for the major leagues.

10. Move Chad Green to the starting rotation.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with most of what Max said. 

1) I wonder how the glut in the outfield is going to work itself out. I want to see Clint Frazier next year, but I don't know how that would work itself out. He's not a CF, so he isn't going to replace Hicks. Judge is obviously not going anywhere. Do we move Gardener?

2) We need another front line starter. Is it going to be Chance Adams or another internal source (Chad Green)? Or are we going outside the organization via trade or FA?

3) I think Gleyber Torres is breaking camp as the starting 3B, he should be back from Tommy John by then (I think). I also think Torres is going to plug into the #2 spot in the lineup and allow the team to move Judge into the 3 or 4 hole. 

4) I think we can add some veterans to the bench to give us more flexibility late in games. Our DH spot was sh*t this season. 

5) I'd consider trying to move Castro for a true leadoff type. I'd love someone like Dee Gordon at the top of the lineup. 

8 hours ago, maury77 said:

1) I wonder how the glut in the outfield is going to work itself out. I want to see Clint Frazier next year, but I don't know how that would work itself out. He's not a CF, so he isn't going to replace Hicks. Judge is obviously not going anywhere. Do we move Gardener?

2) We need another front line starter. Is it going to be Chance Adams or another internal source (Chad Green)? Or are we going outside the organization via trade or FA?

3) I think Gleyber Torres is breaking camp as the starting 3B, he should be back from Tommy John by then (I think). I also think Torres is going to plug into the #2 spot in the lineup and allow the team to move Judge into the 3 or 4 hole. 

4) I think we can add some veterans to the bench to give us more flexibility late in games. Our DH spot was sh*t this season. 

5) I'd consider trying to move Castro for a true leadoff type. I'd love someone like Dee Gordon at the top of the lineup. 

Interesting on Gleyber starting the year at 3b. He is taking BP now I believe so it is possible. Non throwing shoulder so I guess he could be ready.

They do need to improve the bench.

This lineup struggled all year to be consistent.

A very good contact hitter who hits for a high average and OBP needs to either show up from the minors or be acquired via trade, as the lineup is FAR too swing happy.

This player does not need to have power. It's a plus if he does but not a necessity. 

On 10/21/2017 at 11:06 PM, Maxman said:

Well offseason is here unfortunately. Here is what I would do if I was running the Yankees.

7. Buy Severino a house next to Pedro Martinez so he spends even more time with him this offseason.
8. Find a DH. Or sign Shohei Ohtani and have the team moved to the National League.

1 Sign Cashman not Girardi. I would love to see Don Mattingly coach this team and bring a little passion along with him.

2. Tanaka won't opt out.

3 Green should get a shot starting.

4 Keep the bulpen intact

7 hours ago, Barton said:

This lineup struggled all year to be consistent.

A very good contact hitter who hits for a high average and OBP needs to either show up from the minors or be acquired via trade, as the lineup is FAR too swing happy.

This player does not need to have power. It's a plus if he does but not a necessity. 

Line up struggled because Girardi has some wacked out idea on how to make a lineup. 

A true lead off hitter would be great also a number 2 hitter that's not Aaron Judge would be nice as well. Judge should be a number 4 -6 six slot hitter. Batting him 2nd was moronic at best.

I saw someone complain the Yankees were not patient hitters yet the Yankees saw more pitches than any other team in baseball and more 3-2 counts. The only real impatient hitter on the Yankees is Castro and I would love to see him replaced with a true lead off hitter or number 2 slot hitter. But even if that happened Girardi would probably have them batting 4th since his line-up's are ridiculous to say the least.

1.  Keep the pipeline of kids flowing which means that space has to be made at the big club.  Hard choices

2.  Starting pitching.  We need more.  Ours over performed to some degree but then failed at the end.

3.  We need to get some guys who can hit or learn to hit a curve ball/slider.  That was embarrassing at the end.

1. Cashman stays.  Girardi might go as a way to save money

2. Tanaka is opting out.  I didn’t think he would based on him having a bad regular season but the playoffs made him money  Sign Darvish and Otani

3. Ok

4. Ok

5. CC is getting a 3-year deal from a NL team he’s a goner

6. I’ll let him know

7. Remind me to tell him

8. Ellsbury,Gardy and Sanchez are sharing DH next year 

9. Cool

10. No

On 10/22/2017 at 12:06 AM, Maxman said:

Good points, but some disagreement

1-3. Agreed

4. Agreed, but Torres is going to be cleared to play by Spring Training.  Health isn't the issue as he's swinging a bat again.  The issue is getting him back to where he was before the injury in terms of timing, fielding, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is the opening day third basemen.

5. Disagree.  Bringing back CC on a 1 yr $10 mil deal to continue to give innings is ideal.

6-7. Agreed

8.  Yes, they need a DH.  I think Todd Frazier is a possibility.

9. Adams and Sheffield have a chance to see major league action this year in the rotation.

10. Disagree.  Green as a starter is a waste.  He's the clear replacement for Betances who will likely be moved in the offseason IMO.

On 10/23/2017 at 12:52 PM, SMC said:

Good points, but some disagreement

1-3. Agreed

4. Agreed, but Torres is going to be cleared to play by Spring Training.  Health isn't the issue as he's swinging a bat again.  The issue is getting him back to where he was before the injury in terms of timing, fielding, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is the opening day third basemen.

5. Disagree.  Bringing back CC on a 1 yr $10 mil deal to continue to give innings is ideal.

6-7. Agreed

8.  Yes, they need a DH.  I think Todd Frazier is a possibility.

9. Adams and Sheffield have a chance to see major league action this year in the rotation.

10. Disagree.  Green as a starter is a waste.  He's the clear replacement for Betances who will likely be moved in the offseason IMO.

If we were desperate for starting pitching maybe I’d give Green another shot but we’re not

On 10/24/2017 at 3:04 PM, Philc1 said:

If we were desperate for starting pitching maybe I’d give Green another shot but we’re not

Exactly.  And with Adams AAA and Sheffield soon to be there, the Yanks don't need to move Green back to being a starter. 

On 10/22/2017 at 7:32 AM, maury77 said:

I think they move Ellsbury, but eat 60% or more of his contract.   He would have value on another team for 6-8 million. 

2.  Chance will come up, but he will be on an innings limit, so he'll be more like the #5.  Tanaka is opting out, just depends on how crazy his contract gets.

3.  I think Head is back at 3rd, Torres is the new second baseman, and Castro is moved.

4.  Unless they get Godzilla, I don't think they add a true DH, they just rotate players in and out due to the glut in OF and Sanchez needing days off behind the plate.

5.  I think Gardner is back for 1 more year at lead off.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:52 AM, Philc1 said:

1. Cashman stays.  Girardi might go as a way to save money

2. Tanaka is opting out.  I didn’t think he would based on him having a bad regular season but the playoffs made him money  Sign Darvish and Otani

I'm not big on Darvish, and he's going to want big money.

28 minutes ago, NJ said:

Joe's Gone

Yep.  Sad to see him go because I thought he was a good manager, but 10 years is a long time.

At least he went out on a high note.  10 years, all winning seasons, 6 playoff appearances, 1 championship.

I don't think Girardi is a big loss for the Yankees at all to be honest. The Baseball manager is overrated. All he really has to do is manage his bullpen properly and keep the team focused. This isn't football or even basketball where you have a certain style, scheme, approach to the game. Baseball really isn't a team sport. It's an individual sport played inside a team concept.

The Yankees will be good next year as long as Judge and Sanchez hit home runs, Gardner gets on base in front of them, Didi plays like he did this year, Severino pitches well and they add another starter, and guys like Hicks, Castro, etc contribute. It really doesn't matter IMO who manages the team as long as he's competent and doesn't turn the players against him.

The Yankees don't need to pay Girardi big time money to manage.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wonder if he'll come down here to the Nats.  I liked him.  Would have liked Mattingly, but I'm hearing A-Rod and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  

would people really want Mattingly? why? b/c he was a great player for a few years in the 80s? what has he done as a manager that we think he'd be better than Girardi?

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so, so stupid. reminding me of the George years before he was banished from baseball.  Girardi has done a great job here and this is a big loss.  it doesn't mean they can't and won't recover but it is a silly move.

I like Girardi but managers in baseball don’t affect the outcome as much as in football

30 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't think Girardi is a big loss for the Yankees at all to be honest. The Baseball manager is overrated. All he really has to do is manage his bullpen properly and keep the team focused. This isn't football or even basketball where you have a certain style, scheme, approach to the game. Baseball really isn't a team sport. It's an individual sport played inside a team concept.

The Yankees will be good next year as long as Judge and Sanchez hit home runs, Gardner gets on base in front of them, Didi plays like he did this year, Severino pitches well and they add another starter, and guys like Hicks, Castro, etc contribute. It really doesn't matter IMO who manages the team as long as he's competent and doesn't turn the players against him.

The Yankees don't need to pay Girardi big time money to manage.

Ultimately it was a move to save money while not sacrificing talent on the roster

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

would people really want Mattingly? why? b/c he was a great player for a few years in the 80s? what has he done as a manager that we think he'd be better than Girardi?

Because I like him?  Is that a good enough reason?  You seem to forget that this is entertainment - we root for these people. It is easier if it someone we like.  I don't think I ever said Mattingly would be better than Girardi.  I would have been perfectly happy with Girardi coming back.  It is possible that he wanted a ton of money.  I'm not sure what the Yankees have to "recover" from.  I will be more concerned about the rotation and if Tanaka and CC leave.  I'm pretty sure they will find a capable manager.

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Ultimately it was a move to save money while not sacrificing talent on the roster

Which I'd agree with. Girardi is as good as his players will allow him to be in the end. Which is why it doesn't make sense to pay a manager big money in Baseball. He can't figure out ways to get Aaron Judge more involved in the offense like an Andy Reid could do with Kareem Hunt for example. Judge is going to get 4 AB's every game most likely. What he does with them is on his shoulders and nobody else's.

31 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so, so stupid. reminding me of the George years before he was banished from baseball.  Girardi has done a great job here and this is a big loss.  it doesn't mean they can't and won't recover but it is a silly move.

The team operates with a $200 million dollar payroll. If they spend the money wisely (which is on the GM) the Yankees will win unless they have a total idiot as manager who has a mutiny against him. Unfortunately managers and coaches do have to at times motivate their players and keep them focused.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Because I like him?  Is that a good enough reason?  You seem to forget that this is entertainment - we root for these people. It is easier if it someone we like.  I don't think I ever said Mattingly would be better than Girardi.  I would have been perfectly happy with Girardi coming back.  It is possible that he wanted a ton of money.  I'm not sure what the Yankees have to "recover" from.  I will be more concerned about the rotation and if Tanaka and CC leave.  I'm pretty sure they will find a capable manager.

we are entertained when they win, I don't care who is in the dugout unless they are winning. Girardi deserved a ton of money and Managers money doesn't count against luxury tax.  The Yanks have plenty of money to afford him or any Mgr they want.

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Last 2 yankee managers won the World Series either in the first or second year of their tenure.  Maybe the next guy continues the trend?

I'm hoping Girardi is the Buck of his generation and the next Manager leads the Yanks to a dynasty.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He will command a lot of respect from the players, he was/is a Yankee icon for a lot of people.

I think Joe was ok, but he so went by his damn book.   After 10 years, sometimes people just need a change, I don't know how much Joe wanted to be back, it's a huge pressure cooker.  I don't think they did it to save money, the team has a 200 million dollar payroll, and they are trying to save 2 million with a cheaper manager?   That's 1% of payroll, and 1 playoff game probably makes most of that back.

While I am not surprised Girardi is not coming back I am surprised it was the Yankees who decided to let him go.   10 years is a long time so it's a bit sad to see him go.  As for a replacement, I am guessing they will go with a younger manager obviously who uses analytics like the FO.  Names like Pedrique and Raul Ibanez come to mind.

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we are entertained when they win, I don't care who is in the dugout unless they are winning. Girardi deserved a ton of money and Managers money doesn't count against luxury tax.  The Yanks have plenty of money to afford him or any Mgr they want.

Thank you for letting me know who entertains me.  There is literally not a single word of this post that has a thing to do with what I said other than that you don't care who is in the dugout.  I do.  I prefer to root for people I like. 

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

He will command a lot of respect from the players, he was/is a Yankee icon for a lot of people.

I think Joe was ok, but he so went by his damn book.   After 10 years, sometimes people just need a change, I don't know how much Joe wanted to be back, it's a huge pressure cooker.  I don't think they did it to save money, the team has a 200 million dollar payroll, and they are trying to save 2 million with a cheaper manager?   That's 1% of payroll, and 1 playoff game probably makes most of that back.

did he not command respect in LA and Miami? commanding respect is nice, winning is better.

I grew up in the Mattingly era, I loved him but to me he's a jinx.  Yanks made WS in 1981, next year Mattingly is called up. Mattingly retires after 1995, the next year the Yanks make the WS for the first time since 1981 then win 4 in 5 years.  Mattingly comes back in 2004 and they blow 3-0 lead and watch Sox win WS. Don leaves as a coach after 2007 and in 2009 they win another WS.

Archived