Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Gray has been much better on the road.  I’m going to get carpetbombed for saying this but if we make a run in the playoffs they should consider starting him on a road game especially since we will have to use Tanaka or Severino in the wildcard game

May not have a choice.

If Severino gets hit again, for the love of Pete, just sit him a start or 2.   Let him catch his breath, he is a young guy, and you have to have him for the playoffs.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, chirorob said:

May not have a choice.

If Severino gets hit again, for the love of Pete, just sit him a start or 2.   Let him catch his breath, he is a young guy, and you have to have him for the playoffs.

He looked good last night but it was the White Sox.  I don’t think it’s dead arm his velocity is still there

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He looked good last night but it was the White Sox.  I don’t think it’s dead arm his velocity is still there

A dead arm does not always affect the velocity of the fastball. More often than not, it is the "late life" a fastball has.

I have not watched Severino's starts to say for show, but don't just go by velocity.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No reason to put him out for the 7th and make him throw that much more.  

Dead arm isn't always how hard, but location and movement.    he did look very good after a rough 1st.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:18 AM, chirorob said:

Good weekend with Texas, taking 3 out of 4. 

Gray looked like poop out of the bullpen yesterday.

Season is far from over even with the media celebrating us losing to the Red Sox without Judge and Sanchez

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Season is far from over even with the media celebrating us losing to the Red Sox without Judge and Sanchez

You can't worry about Boston at this point.   Get everyone back in a few weeks, and go from there.  They are going to win close to 100 games, which is a great season.  CC taking a start or 2 off is fine, long term it's probably for the best.  They need Severino to get right, and with that bullpen they can play with anyone in a short series.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Ok I think I’ve seen enough of Cessa as a starter

Sheffield will be up next year.   He is killing it at AAA.

They will have to add a starter.   Montgomery's injury really hurt, he had a very solid rookie year.   Chance Adams looked so good last year, I still have hope for him as well.

33 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Sheffield will be up next year.   He is killing it at AAA.

They will have to add a starter.   Montgomery's injury really hurt, he had a very solid rookie year.   Chance Adams looked so good last year, I still have hope for him as well.

Yankees are signing at least one blue chip free agent starting pitcher next offseason.  They might add 2

27 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Also, having a first baseman with a 215 batting average and a 404 slugging % just is not going to cut it.

Find a left hitting OF for next year, and move Stanton to 1st to save his legs.

Bird is such a freaking enigma.  His swing looks like a young John Olerud and sometimes he’s just brilliant like last year in the playoffs then he gets hurt or just disappears

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yankees are signing at least one blue chip free agent starting pitcher next offseason.  They might add 2

Who?   I don't know who will be available.   I don't think kershaw makes it out of LA, and I worry about giving him a big contract.   He will be 31 next year, and hasn't thrown 200 innings in 3 straight seasons, and has chronic disc issues in his lower back.

They really need a front ends starter, I just don't know who will be out there.

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bird is such a freaking enigma.  His swing looks like a young John Olerud and sometimes he’s just brilliant like last year in the playoffs then he gets hurt or just disappears

I had hopes for him, I know the Yankees did.   He should have killed it this year, all those RH power bats, being a lefty in the middle of that.  But he sucks.  He showed something in 2015, missed '16 with that shoulder that the Yanks should have caught way earlier, but has not been nearly as good in 17 and 18.    Great playoff series, but you have to hit over 215 at first base.

Maybe the shoulder didn't heal quite right, or the foot/ankle still bothers him.  

Yeah, Bird sucks. He's such a waste. Injuries can't be the issue.  He's been awful the entire season and when he's "good" he's only batting .260 over that stretch.  They need to move on.

The Yanks just need to concentrate on health (get Judge, Sanchez & CC back) and get Severino right.  They'll be the 1st WC

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

You guys want to give up on Bird - he's not 100%. He gets next year to prove himself. 

No way, they are not giving him next year. He has been hurt a lot. If you are on the field, you have to perform. 

Yanks have been bottom 3 in 1b production for 3 straight years.   Either find a left 1B, or bring up Frazier and let Stanton play 1B.   Yes the team would be very right handed, but Bird can't hit right or left handed pitching, so it'll still be improved.

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

Who?   I don't know who will be available.   I don't think kershaw makes it out of LA, and I worry about giving him a big contract.   He will be 31 next year, and hasn't thrown 200 innings in 3 straight seasons, and has chronic disc issues in his lower back.

They really need a front ends starter, I just don't know who will be out there.

Yankees need starting pitching.  I think the last two months are solid evidence of it

11 minutes ago, Barton said:

He's played about 1 full season worth of games since 2015 and he has shown great flashes. You'd be nuts to give up on him. 

He's clearly not driving the ball like he can. Give him time. It will come.

I tend to agree with you. I am a huge Mets fans, 54 years and counting, but I watch a lot of Yanks games as well. Bird reminds me so much of Michael Conforto, it's scary. They both go through stretches where they look like they should be in single A ball, then go a few weeks where they basically carry a team. Both guys are coming off serious injuries, and probably came back too soon. Conforto seems to finally? be coming around, and I think Bird will too. Put it this way, I'll give you Dom Smith for Bird right now.?

On 8/18/2018 at 9:08 AM, chirorob said:

Massively need starting pitching.   But, with his back history, do you give Kershaw 6 years, 180 million?

That’s what a World Series or two is going to cost

Unless you know of a couple 28 year old ace starting pitchers who are available 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, Philc1 said:

Starting to think Happ deserves consideration for that wildcard playoff game start

That's my thinking as well.  He has PS experience and have bullpen lined up.

As to the Bird discussion, I hate him, but I understand the give him time argument.  He has to produce shortly, though.

I think the Yanks are in a good spot right now.  They're will 98-100 games.  Sox have been ridiculous.  Yanks are safely in WC and need to spend these next 2 months getting their top players healthy.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

That's my thinking as well.  He has PS experience and have bullpen lined up.

As to the Bird discussion, I hate him, but I understand the give him time argument.  He has to produce shortly, though.

I think the Yanks are in a good spot right now.  They're will 98-100 games.  Sox have been ridiculous.  Yanks are safely in WC and need to spend these next 2 months getting their top players healthy.

That's the thing.   We are concerned, and there are holes, but this is a team that will come in right about 100 victories.   They are a really good team, just the Sox are going nuts this year.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:29 PM, Philc1 said:

That’s what a World Series or two is going to cost

Unless you know of a couple 28 year old ace starting pitchers who are available 

I don't know.    you are going to pay 30+ million a year for 180 innings, with declining results as he ages?   That seems steep.

Chapman hurt his knee.   Probably going to DL.

Robertson un available with shoulder soreness.   Baseball is largely about who stays healthy, and Yanks have a lot of talent on the DL.

Didi, Sanchez, Judge, CC, Montgomery, Soon Chapman, Frazier.   All teams get injuries, hopefully they are all back in the next 3-4 weeks.  (well, not Monty).

Archived