Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, SMC said:

The key is getting healthy and Astros winning the west over A's.  No way do we want Yanks playing against the Astros in a 1 game WC. There's no way Yanks are beating Verlander there.

The A's getting the wildcard is the only chance the Yankees have of winning the world series. I believe that.

None of it will matter if they aren't at full strength when the postseason gets here though.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:27 AM, SMC said:

The key is getting healthy and Astros winning the west over A's.  No way do we want Yanks playing against the Astros in a 1 game WC. There's no way Yanks are beating Verlander there.

I don’t want the Astros in a 1 game playoff agreed

On 8/26/2018 at 7:33 AM, Philc1 said:

Gray is so much better on the road it’s crazy

Seriously, what is up with that guy?  It has to be all in his head at this point.   Granted the O's stink, but 6 innings, 3 hits.  

Yanks finally took advantage of a weaker opponent, 4 wins in 3 days against the O's.  

On 8/26/2018 at 8:33 AM, Philc1 said:

Gray is so much better on the road it’s crazy

On 8/27/2018 at 10:36 AM, chirorob said:

Seriously, what is up with that guy?  It has to be all in his head at this point.   Granted the O's stink, but 6 innings, 3 hits.  

Yanks finally took advantage of a weaker opponent, 4 wins in 3 days against the O's.  

PICKLES!  I've watched him pitch 2 games against the Orioles and I am ready to give him the Cy Young.  He works too slow, but his stuff is no joke.  Went to Camden Yards Saturday and Sunday.  Probably about 75% Yankee fans.  My 8 month old son's first game, I thought he was going to go without seeing an opponent score but Kahnle gave one up. Luke Voit was absolutely raking last night, and that is after the 2 HR afternoon Saturday. Good weekend. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

PICKLES!  I've watched him pitch 2 games against the Orioles and I am ready to give him the Cy Young.  He works too slow, but his stuff is no joke.  Went to Camden Yards Saturday and Sunday.  Probably about 75% Yankee fans.  My 8 month old son's first game, I thought he was going to go without seeing an opponent score by Kahnle gave one up. Luke Voit was absolutely raking last night, and that is after the 2 HR afternoon Sunday. Good weekend. 

Keep that 8 month old engaged with the sport. Congratulations!

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Great comeback win yesterday

I was about to post the same thing.

Night before, bad luck, sloppy play.   I think the Sox had 5 infield singles, couple that with a few errors.   Last night was kind of a big win.

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Meanwhile the Soxs  stag another late inning win with 4 in the 7th and 5 in the 9th.

Doesn’t matter we aren’t winning the division and worst case scenario we play an away game in the 1 game playoff at Oakland which doesn’t scare me but losing games because of simple mental mistakes by the manager ugh

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Doesn’t matter we aren’t winning the division and worst case scenario we play an away game in the 1 game playoff at Oakland which doesn’t scare me but losing games because of simple mental mistakes by the manager ugh

The bottom line, as you said, is that both of us will be making the playoffs . Whole different ballgame then.

26 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

The bottom line, as you said, is that both of us will be making the playoffs . Whole different ballgame then.

I’m starting to get down on Boone last night if anyone actually cared it was just boneheaded decision  using Betances as the closer when he has always sucked at it when he had Britton ugh I’m this close to screaming for Girardi to come back 

Just now, Philc1 said:

I’m starting to get down on Boone last night if anyone actually cared it was just boneheaded decision  using Betances as the closer when he has always sucked at it when he had Britton ugh I’m this close to screaming for Girardi to come back 

LOL

22 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ha. That’s a stretch but he’s a great player and good for that clubhouse. Will help them bow out gracefully in the wild card game. 

Carl - get out of this thread. It is a Yankees thread, go start a Red Sox thread we don't need your trolling.

Looks like the fans in this thread that were down on Bird weren't the only ones. Dude is seeing a lot of the bench lately.

Would have been great if that shot today went another 2 feet. Was hoping for that and maybe it could have jump started him. At this point he (and others) just have to get ready for the postseason.

The news on Chapman and Judge doesn't sound good. Hopefully they are both back though. Going to be close.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Looks like the fans in this thread that were down on Bird weren't the only ones. Dude is seeing a lot of the bench lately.

Would have been great if that shot today went another 2 feet. Was hoping for that and maybe it could have jump started him. At this point he (and others) just have to get ready for the postseason.

The news on Chapman and Judge doesn't sound good. Hopefully they are both back though. Going to be close.

I don’t think either one will be back before the playoffs 

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t think either one will be back before the playoffs 

It's starting to look that way. This three week thing on judge was way off.

if he comes back and it's the last minute I could see his timing being way off.

19 hours ago, Maxman said:

It's starting to look that way. This three week thing on judge was way off.

if he comes back and it's the last minute I could see his timing being way off.

I hope they don’t panic and rush Judge and chapman back too quickly even with Oakland now breathing down our necks

On 9/3/2018 at 3:52 AM, Maxman said:

With Bird, it can't be viewed as simply a "slump."  His rookie year could be a mirage. In his first 157 ABs, he batted .261, but in his next 406 ABs he's only batting .194.  In hindsight, his rookie year wasn't that good. It just gave you the illusion that the best was yet to come.  It hasn't and likely won't come.

Judge has started swinging so he'll be back by the end of the year.  Chapman is more worrisome because he dealt with the bad knee all year and then no longer could.

19 hours ago, SMC said:

With Bird, it can't be viewed as simply a "slump."  His rookie year could be a mirage. In his first 157 ABs, he batted .261, but in his next 406 ABs he's only batting .194.  In hindsight, his rookie year wasn't that good. It just gave you the illusion that the best was yet to come.  It hasn't and likely won't come.

Judge has started swinging so he'll be back by the end of the year.  Chapman is more worrisome because he dealt with the bad knee all year and then no longer could.

I don’t blame the Yankees for wanting to wait and see with Bird.  His swing looks exactly like a John Olerud and with Olerud it didn’t click until a couple years into his career Meanwhile Luke Voit has been looking really good

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t blame the Yankees for wanting to wait and see with Bird.  His swing looks exactly like a John Olerud and with Olerud it didn’t click until a couple years into his career Meanwhile Luke Voit has been looking really good

Bird and Sanchez both.    Sanchez looked like an all star barely 12 months ago.   Now he is an awful defensive catcher who needs a hot streak to hit 200.  Their youth movement has taken a hit, and Severino hasn't looked the same since the break either.

I don't know what to say about Bird going forward, do you bring him back, and see if your first baseman hits 200 for a whole season again?

On 9/6/2018 at 10:12 AM, chirorob said:

Bird and Sanchez both.    Sanchez looked like an all star barely 12 months ago.   Now he is an awful defensive catcher who needs a hot streak to hit 200.  Their youth movement has taken a hit, and Severino hasn't looked the same since the break either.

I don't know what to say about Bird going forward, do you bring him back, and see if your first baseman hits 200 for a whole season again?

They will probably go after a big name 1B in the offseason.  Sanchez is a Catcher it’s almost impossible to find Catchers who hit he’s here to stay 

Tanaka should start the wildcard game

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They will probably go after a big name 1B in the offseason.  Sanchez is a Catcher it’s almost impossible to find Catchers who hit he’s here to stay 

Tanaka should start the wildcard game

Agree on everything you just said.

Happ has been a very good pickup for them.

Archived