Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

Man you guys are brutal. You've got a young team with lots of playoff experience. It was a close game, too close thanks to Kimbrel who now owns a 11+ ERA going into the Stros series. Sox, this year, just have the better team.

Agreed I’m not in the best mood, but that was one of the worst games I’ve ever been to. Admittedly, I’m emotional.

The problem is: which arms are carrying our young team the next 5 years? 

The lineup is great, but pitching>hitting all day every day. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agreed I’m not in the best mood, but that was one of the worst games I’ve ever been to. Admittedly, I’m emotional.

Agreed about the pitching but Severino is only 24 and you have a decent bullpen. You need starters just like the Sox. We have Sales and Porcello if he's "on" but seriously can we count on Price ? Eovaldi pitched great last nite but that was a fluke . Pomerantz ? He's garbage going forward after a real nice year last year. We both need to find starters.

Serious question  : Would you rather lose 16-1 or lose a 4-3 game like tonite ?

5 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed about the pitching but Severino is only 24 and you have a decent bullpen. You need starters just like the Sox. We have Sales and Porcello if he's "on" but seriously can we count on Price ? Eovaldi pitched great last nite but that was a fluke . Pomerantz ? He's garbage going forward after a real nice year last year. We both need to find starters.

Don’t forget E-Rod. 

The Yankees biggest problem is they rely too heavily on the long ball. They don’t have the diversity in their lineup that the Sox have. The Sox went out and got power, but JD Martinez is a complete hitter unlike someone like Stanton. When they aren’t hitting homeruns their lineup is fairly pedestrian. They need tablesetters and high OBP guys to get on base. The Sox won because they had timely hitting from everyone in the lineups. 

6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Man you guys are brutal. You've got a young team with lots of playoff experience. It was a close game, too close thanks to Kimbrel who now owns a 11+ ERA going into the Stros series. Sox, this year, just have the better team.

It is amazing how Stanton is going to become the new Arod to some Yankees fans after they barbecued Gary all season long until he became our best player in this playoff series

Stanton is not the reason we lost the Yankees starting pitching is not good

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

There are no arms.  We have to sign them.  A postseason rotation featuring a way past his prime CC and a decent no. 5 starter Happ has absolutely no shot we were kidding ourselves 

I want Clayton Kershaw in pinstripes next season.  I don’t care what lame excuses there are out there the Yankees absolutely need to sign him AND another SP

Let’s go Cashman

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

There are no arms.  We have to sign them.  A postseason rotation featuring a way past his prime CC and a decent no. 5 starter Happ has absolutely no shot we were kidding ourselves 

I want Clayton Kershaw in pinstripes next season.  I don’t care what lame excuses there are out there the Yankees absolutely need to sign him AND another SP

Let’s go Cashman

Pitching IS the name of the game.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Don’t forget E-Rod. 

The Yankees biggest problem is they rely too heavily on the long ball. They don’t have the diversity in their lineup that the Sox have. The Sox went out and got power, but JD Martinez is a complete hitter unlike someone like Stanton. When they aren’t hitting homeruns their lineup is fairly pedestrian. They need tablesetters and high OBP guys to get on base. The Sox won because they had timely hitting from everyone in the lineups. 

Thanks Carl. I have a tendency to overlook E Rod. I like your analysis of the NYY vs the Sox. JD hits tons of homers but also has a .330 batting ave. and a .400 OBP. to go with his 130 RBI's. He even hit .357 for the series to Stantons .238. Sox attack is nicely balanced.

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Let’s go Cashman

If Kershaw opts out, I would not want to be the team that gives him big money. He is breaking down regularly.

47 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If Kershaw opts out, I would not want to be the team that gives him big money. He is breaking down regularly.

Yeah he's great but the wear and tear is starting to rear it's ugly head. Next year will be his 12th in the league.

What are the chances, In your HO , of Price opting out for us ?

If you sign Kershaw you literally only need him to make 5-6 starts in the playoffs he doesn’t need to be a 20 game winner next 10 years for the contract to make sense our offense is so good we could make an ok pitcher like Jordan Montgomery a 20 game winner in the regular season

Keep rationalizing us not signing a Kershaw because without him we are not ever getting past Houston or Boston 

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If you sign Kershaw you literally only need him to make 5-6 starts in the playoffs he doesn’t need to be a 20 game winner next 10 years for the contract to make sense our offense is so good we could make an ok pitcher like Jordan Montgomery a 20 game winner in the regular season

Keep rationalizing us not signing a Kershaw because without him we are not ever getting past Houston or Boston 

Here's the issue, you have no guarantee that he is available in the playoffs. His back has been degenerating and is costing him more time each year. The Dodgers have been more careful giving him time between starts also. Any contract of more than 3-4 years is a risky one, fraught with diminishing returns. When he is healthy, he is a different pitcher than when he was at his peak.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:48 PM, Thai Jet said:

In the playoffs, I trust Eovaldi over Price.   That Price signing was not nearly as bad as Darvish or Ellsbury, but it's not good.  

The thing with Stanton and Judge and Sanchez is you have 3 right handed bats who strike out a lot.   Stanton for the most part looked like he didn't have a clue.    They really need a LF bat, even more so with Gardner's advanced age.   It's just Didi and Hicks, and Hicks tends to get dinged a lot (this was his healthiest year).

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Here's the issue, you have no guarantee that he is available in the playoffs. His back has been degenerating and is costing him more time each year. The Dodgers have been more careful giving him time between starts also. Any contract of more than 3-4 years is a risky one, fraught with diminishing returns. When he is healthy, he is a different pitcher than when he was at his peak.

I agree.   There is also a difference from pitching in the NL West to the AL east, the parks are smaller.   He is a 1st ballot HOF player, but not anymore, and if he wants 8 years at 30 per, I just pass.  

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree.   There is also a difference from pitching in the NL West to the AL east, the parks are smaller.   He is a 1st ballot HOF player, but not anymore, and if he wants 8 years at 30 per, I just pass.  

Plus, he would pitching far more in the cold of the northeast. 

Hey, he is still a great pitcher. It will be interesting to see if he opts out. My belief is that the new ace of the Dodger staff is Buehler. 

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

In the playoffs, I trust Eovaldi over Price.   That Price signing was not nearly as bad as Darvish or Ellsbury, but it's not good.  

The thing with Stanton and Judge and Sanchez is you have 3 right handed bats who strike out a lot.   Stanton for the most part looked like he didn't have a clue.    They really need a LF bat, even more so with Gardner's advanced age.   It's just Didi and Hicks, and Hicks tends to get dinged a lot (this was his healthiest year).

At this point so do I. Eovaldi looked great in game 3. Price is pitching game 2 against the Stros.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:40 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Go root for the mets

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

If the Yankees keep trotting out mediocre starting pitching in the playoffs enjoy losing to the Red Sox next five years and wasting Judge, Sanchez, Stanton etc. in their primes with 0 championships to show for it

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If the Yankees keep trotting out mediocre starting pitching in the playoffs enjoy losing to the Red Sox next five years and wasting Judge, Sanchez, Stanton etc. in their primes with 0 championships to show for it

I am not disagreeing about needing a true ace.   I just differ with you that Kershaw will be that player going forward.    It could be that I work with people with back injuries for a living, what he has will not improve as he gets older, and I am hesitant to sign someone with that.   If it's a 3-4 year deal, who cares.   If it's an 8 year deal, I think it's a bad deal.

22 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Maybe David Price opts out and the Yankees sign him? He does well against everyone else! (Please someone else take him.)

Sox are stacked, and getting Chris Sale was a great deal.

That Price signing...  one of the few I called at the time as over paying for past performance. 

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I am not disagreeing about needing a true ace.   I just differ with you that Kershaw will be that player going forward.    It could be that I work with people with back injuries for a living, what he has will not improve as he gets older, and I am hesitant to sign someone with that.   If it's a 3-4 year deal, who cares.   If it's an 8 year deal, I think it's a bad deal.

Kershaw currently has $65m left for 2 years. I would not imagine that he would opt out of that deal to sign a 3 or 4 year deal. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Kershaw currently has $65m left for 2 years. I would not imagine that he would opt out of that deal to sign a 3 or 4 year deal. 

Correct.  So he will want 5 minimum at 30+ a year.

Huge injury risk to give 150+ million to.   I'm not arguing his talent, or his resume, or the Yanks need for an ace.  

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

The Yankees need Kershaw and really they need Kershaw and more. Like they also need Dallas Keuchel.  If the Yankees really want to win a World Series next season they need both Kershaw and Keuchel 

The Yankees are under the luxury tax and have big contracts coming off.  They can afford these pitchers and need them otherwise enjoy wasting the careers of Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, Torres etc

Archived