Jump to content
Maxman

Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He will command a lot of respect from the players, he was/is a Yankee icon for a lot of people.

As someone who watches almost exclusively NL ball and has had more than his fair share of having to watch the god damn Dodgers and Marlins, that's going to go right out the window as soon as he has to make decisions that matter. Maybe he's better suited for the AL, but if you think Girardi's non-challenge was perplexing that doesn't compare to half the sh*t that Mattingly has pulled in the playoffs and situations that matter. He really is something awful and you guys should be staying faaaarrrr away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thank you for letting me know who entertains me.  There is literally not a single word of this post that has a thing to do with what I said other than that you don't care who is in the dugout.  I do.  I prefer to root for people I like. 

we all prefer to root for people we like but if the people we like don't win then how is that entertaining? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

As someone who watches almost exclusively NL ball and has had more than his fair share of having to watch the god damn Dodgers and Marlins, that's going to go right out the window as soon as he has to make decisions that matter. Maybe he's better suited for the AL, but if you think Girardi's non-challenge was perplexing that doesn't compare to half the sh*t that Mattingly has pulled in the playoffs and situations that matter.

I haven't seen him, I don't know if he is good or not.   It will get him some play early on, if he sucks, that will show up soon enough.

I'm just stating why someone would want to see him in NY.  Sometimes it's getting the coach in the right spot, Torre was "Clueless Joe" before he was a HOF manager.  Also, I agree baseball managers aren't as important as football, Torre early with the Yanks pushed all the right buttons, and always kept his cool and stood up to George.   Mattingly at least played here, and knows what it entails.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He will command a lot of respect from the players, he was/is a Yankee icon for a lot of people.

I think Joe was ok, but he so went by his damn book.   After 10 years, sometimes people just need a change, I don't know how much Joe wanted to be back, it's a huge pressure cooker.  I don't think they did it to save money, the team has a 200 million dollar payroll, and they are trying to save 2 million with a cheaper manager?   That's 1% of payroll, and 1 playoff game probably makes most of that back.

and by the way, players who weren't born when Mattingly was at his peak won't care or have that respect.  he was a great player for about a 5 year period, he's not a Hall of famer.  he's not Derek jeter or Mariano Rivera who these kids grew up idolizing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I haven't seen him, I don't know if he is good or not.   It will get him some play early on, if he sucks, that will show up soon enough.

I'm just stating why someone would want to see him in NY.  Sometimes it's getting the coach in the right spot, Torre was "Clueless Joe" before he was a HOF manager.  Also, I agree baseball managers aren't as important as football, Torre early with the Yanks pushed all the right buttons, and always kept his cool and stood up to George.   Mattingly at least played here, and knows what it entails.

 

I don't know man, the list of awful specifics and generalities with him is almost infinite. It's not a coincidence that the Dodgers became a better team as soon as he left and it's definitely not a coincidence that the Marlins have consistently fallen way short of expectations since he came on board. I get that Yankee fans worship the guy; like if the Mets had hired Mike Piazza to be manager this year I probably would have prematurely ejaculated all over my apartment and probably the entire god damn town, but with Mattingly there is an extensive track record that shows he legitimately does not know what he's doing. Some guys just aren't meant to be the head honcho.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we all prefer to root for people we like but if the people we like don't win then how is that entertaining? 

Sounds like a frontrunner mentality.  You root your way, I will root mine.  Unless you own a PSL you don't get to tell me you're a better fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sounds like a frontrunner mentality.  You root your way, I will root mine.  Unless you own a PSL you don't get to tell me you're a better fan. 

haha, yes I am a frontrunner.  Maybe we should hire Curtis Martin to take over for Bowles? John Starks can coach the Knicks, Mike Richter the Rangers, NE should hire Andre Tippett once BB quits, maybe the Mets should hire Doc Gooden? just so we have fan favorites to root for b/c that's what it's all about.

so b/c I wasn't stupid enough to buy a PSL and now get tickets at a fraction of the price I was paying 10 years ago it makes you a better fan?  how so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know man, the list of awful specifics and generalities with him is almost infinite. It's not a coincidence that the Dodgers became a better team as soon as he left and it's definitely not a coincidence that the Marlins have consistently fallen way short of expectations since he came on board. I get that Yankee fans worship the guy; like if the Mets had hired Mike Piazza to be manager this year I probably would have prematurely ejaculated all over my apartment and probably the entire god damn town, but with Mattingly there is an extensive track record that shows he legitimately does not know what he's doing. Some guys just aren't meant to be the head honcho.

We'll see.   I have no idea who will get the job.   Like I said, I was just saying why Yankee fans would be excited.   At the end of the day, I'll be excited if they hire someone and they win a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, chirorob said:

We'll see.   I have no idea who will get the job.   Like I said, I was just saying why Yankee fans would be excited.   At the end of the day, I'll be excited if they hire someone and they win a lot. 

I don't know that any of the names out there excite me.  ARod intrigues me but who knows if he can handle this job?  I really feel like this time in 1995 when they didn't bring Buck back.  Torre wasn't an exciting hire but he turned out to be perfect.  I hope we get similar results w/ this next hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

haha, yes I am a frontrunner.  Maybe we should hire Curtis Martin to take over for Bowles? John Starks can coach the Knicks, Mike Richter the Rangers, NE should hire Andre Tippett once BB quits, maybe the Mets should hire Doc Gooden? just so we have fan favorites to root for b/c that's what it's all about.

so b/c I wasn't stupid enough to buy a PSL and now get tickets at a fraction of the price I was paying 10 years ago it makes you a better fan?  how so?

Most Jets fans are!

I don't have a PSL either, so I am also not a TRUE fan.  

FWIW, I don't know who I would like at manager.  A-Rod seems to have the mentality, but I have been looking forward to getting away from that stigma for ages. I wasn't even that comfortable with his spring role and him acting like a "Yankee" on the postgame shows. 

Back when, I actually liked Dusty Baker for manager because I read a hitting book of his ages ago and it helped me.  OTOH, I was always more football and basketball so anyone probably could have helped me and he seems to be pretty bad at the top spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thank you for letting me know who entertains me.  There is literally not a single word of this post that has a thing to do with what I said other than that you don't care who is in the dugout.  I do.  I prefer to root for people I like. 

Selfish SOB

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I don't know that any of the names out there excite me.  ARod intrigues me but who knows if he can handle this job?  I really feel like this time in 1995 when they didn't bring Buck back.  Torre wasn't an exciting hire but he turned out to be perfect.  I hope we get similar results w/ this next hire.

AROD?   No way.  After all the crap with his year suspension, and how much they hated each other, and I believe AROD threatened to sue until it was obvious he did it and he had to make amends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As someone who watches almost exclusively NL ball and has had more than his fair share of having to watch the god damn Dodgers and Marlins, that's going to go right out the window as soon as he has to make decisions that matter. Maybe he's better suited for the AL, but if you think Girardi's non-challenge was perplexing that doesn't compare to half the sh*t that Mattingly has pulled in the playoffs and situations that matter. He really is something awful and you guys should be staying faaaarrrr away.

100% agreed

The Yankees need to nail this next hire and Mattingly would be the opposite of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chirorob said:

We'll see.   I have no idea who will get the job.   Like I said, I was just saying why Yankee fans would be excited.   At the end of the day, I'll be excited if they hire someone and they win a lot. 

It doubt it happens but I think Kevin Long would be an amazing fit for you guys. Tons of Yankee experience and relationships with the FO and after watching him on the Mets I think the guy is ready. I was hoping the Mets would hire him but we went with the pitching hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It doubt it happens but I think Kevin Long would be an amazing fit for you guys. Tons of Yankee experience and relationships with the FO and after watching him on the Mets I think the guy is ready. I was hoping the Mets would hire him but we went with the pitching hire.

Didn't he used to be the hitting coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Didn't he used to be the hitting coach?

Yep. All I'm saying is everywhere he goes, a World Series offense magically pops up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Didn't he used to be the hitting coach?

Yes and the Yankees loved him 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted Girardi back, but I have to trust Cashman on this.  Cashman's rebuild has been extraordinary and he obviously has a pool of candidates in mind.  Reports are that Girardi clashed with Cashman over the years and their relationship deteriorated.  Cashman wanted someone in-sync with the FO and more personable to deal with the younger players now and soon-to-be coming up.

As to Mattingly, based on all the reports, there is not a chance in hell that Cashman would hire him.  He simply doesn't fit what Cashman is looking for: younger, personable, prior working relationship with Cashman and proponent of analytics.  Look at the guys already in the organization.  Bill Madden of the Daily News mentioned Josh Paul, the team's catching coordinator and Jay Bell, the Class A Tampa manager as high on the list.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, chirorob said:

AROD?   No way.  After all the crap with his year suspension, and how much they hated each other, and I believe AROD threatened to sue until it was obvious he did it and he had to make amends.

I'm not saying I want him just saying it intrigues me.  he did mentor a lot of those young players.  In the daily news today a writer mentioned Willie Randolph, he did it for typical Daily News reasoning but I would be behind Willie coming back to manage the Yanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I'm not saying I want him just saying it intrigues me.  he did mentor a lot of those young players.  In the daily news today a writer mentioned Willie Randolph, he did it for typical Daily News reasoning but I would be behind Willie coming back to manage the Yanks.

Curiously, I would be interested to see what player said that ARod "mentored" him. 

And Randolph, please. Did you not see what happened in the NL? Have at him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll get blasted for it but I’ll say it I don’t care I want Willie Randolph in as new manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Curiously, I would be interested to see what player said that ARod "mentored" him. 

And Randolph, please. Did you not see what happened in the NL? Have at him.

I would love to see Randolph win a World Series as Yankees manager just to drive you and other Mess fans insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With speculation that Girardi was fired for being old at 52, consider that Willie Randolph has been married as long as Alex Cora has been alive. I think he’s a quality manager, unlike say Mattingly, but a rough fit.

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if the Yankees poached Dave Martinez from the Cubs. Not sure how gung ho they are about promoting from within but Martinez would fit the whole young and familiar with the analytics thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I would love to see Randolph win a World Series as Yankees manager just to drive you and other Mess fans insane

So you are one of those Yankee fans that rather than getting the most satisfaction out of seeing your own team win, you would rather see other fans supposedly suffer from that . Thanks for confirming some of my thoughts of why some Yankee fans bandwagon on the bus.

You won't have the opportunity if Randolph comes on. Even though I believe that is a remote possibility. He is thin-skinned and cannot handle the NY media, nor take the heat away from his players. He deflects.

Someone will be walking into a nice situation, I will be surprised if it is Randolph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I would love to see Randolph win a World Series as Yankees manager just to drive you and other Mess fans insane

If you think that would drive us insane you know nothing about Mets fans. Pretty sure we'd all just roll our eyes and say of course that would happen.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2017 at 6:22 PM, Scott Dierking said:

So you are one of those Yankee fans that rather than getting the most satisfaction out of seeing your own team win, you would rather see other fans supposedly suffer from that . Thanks for confirming some of my thoughts of why some Yankee fans bandwagon on the bus.

You won't have the opportunity if Randolph comes on. Even though I believe that is a remote possibility. He is thin-skinned and cannot handle the NY media, nor take the heat away from his players. He deflects.

Someone will be walking into a nice situation, I will be surprised if it is Randolph.

Hey man just cuz you guys threw Randolph under the bus and blamed him for that epic 2007 chokefest when it was really has-been Glavine and the rest of the team who robbed you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They finally need to move Ellsbury.

In the Manager horse race, I'm rooting for Bam Bam Hensley Meulens.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMC said:

They finally need to move Ellsbury.

In the Manager horse race, I'm rooting for Bam Bam Hensley Meulens.

agree

and agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck moving Ellsbury and his contract the Yankees will be paying a nice big chunk of that.  I’d rather he and Gardner share left field and those two share DH with Sanchez

 

i know Gardner had a great year but he’s getting up there in age and has miserable second halves of seasons in the past because of overuse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 10:11 AM, SMC said:

They finally need to move Ellsbury.

In the Manager horse race, I'm rooting for Bam Bam Hensley Meulens.

Meulens would be a fun guy to root for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Meulens would be a fun guy to root for.

Absolutely, and he knows 5 languages including Japanese!  He'd be the only manager who could talk to all his players without a translator. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2017 at 6:22 PM, Scott Dierking said:

So you are one of those Yankee fans that rather than getting the most satisfaction out of seeing your own team win, you would rather see other fans supposedly suffer from that . Thanks for confirming some of my thoughts of why some Yankee fans bandwagon on the bus.

You won't have the opportunity if Randolph comes on. Even though I believe that is a remote possibility. He is thin-skinned and cannot handle the NY media, nor take the heat away from his players. He deflects.

Someone will be walking into a nice situation, I will be surprised if it is Randolph.

I don't think this is fair.  I am as much of a hater as the next guy (more Red Sox than Mets) but I am certainly no bandwagon fan.  Among others, I have seen John Candelaria, Larry Gura, Pat Dobson, Sidney Ponson and Chris Capuano pitch at the stadium.  Hating and finding satisfaction in the failure of others can be a very committed way of life, it has nothing to do with being on a bandwagon.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think this is fair.  I am as much of a hater as the next guy (more Red Sox than Mets) but I am certainly no bandwagon fan.  Among others, I have seen John Candelaria, Larry Gura, Pat Dobson, Sidney Ponson and Chris Capuano pitch at the stadium.  Hating and finding satisfaction in the failure of others can be a very committed way of life, it has nothing to do with being on a bandwagon.

I was not talking to you. I have a good feel of your allegiance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...