Jump to content
Maxman

Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I was not talking to you. I have a good feel of your allegiance.

OK, Scott Palpatine

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SMC said:

Absolutely, and he knows 5 languages including Japanese!  He'd be the only manager who could talk to all his players without a translator. 

This is ‘Murica dude we only speak English

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am actually a little proud I had to google that reference.

Usually when that happens I assume Game of Thrones.  Am I right?

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think this is fair.  I am as much of a hater as the next guy (more Red Sox than Mets) but I am certainly no bandwagon fan.  Among others, I have seen John Candelaria, Larry Gura, Pat Dobson, Sidney Ponson and Chris Capuano pitch at the stadium.  Hating and finding satisfaction in the failure of others can be a very committed way of life, it has nothing to do with being on a bandwagon.

I saw Andy Hawkins pitch a 10 inning shutout only to lose in the 11th!.   (Game after he lost a no hitter).

Best part, it was double header, and next game they score a couple in the 1st.

Edit, I looked it up.   He went 11 and 2/3 and lost to the Twins

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199007061.shtml

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I saw Andy Hawkins pitch a 10 inning shutout only to lose in the 11th!.   (Game after he lost a no hitter).

Best part, it was double header, and next game they score a couple in the 1st.

Edit, I looked it up.   He went 11 and 2/3 and lost to the Twins

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199007061.shtml

I watched those games on TV!  

What I remember about that era was something Bernie Williams later said. He rarely said anything bad about people, but that Barfield and Hall were horrible and hazed him.  He said they were constantly telling him what to do and that he didn't start playing well until he realized that those guys never won anything and he didn't have to listen to them.  He basically said they were dicks that didn't put winning first and it was easier/better once they were gone.  I remember people acting like Bernie was soft when he came up and I guess those guys bullying him was why. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Usually when that happens I assume Game of Thrones.  Am I right?

It was actually a Star Wars reference

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I watched those games on TV!  

What I remember about that era was something Bernie Williams later said. He rarely said anything bad about people, but that Barfield and Hall were horrible and hazed him.  He said they were constantly telling him what to do and that he didn't start playing well until he realized that those guys never won anything and he didn't have to listen to them.  He basically said they were dicks that didn't put winning first and it was easier/better once they were gone.  I remember people acting like Bernie was soft when he came up and I guess those guys bullying him was why. 

Hall and the immortal Alvaro Espinoza!!  Yes, I've heard that as well, they were both just terrible people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I saw Andy Hawkins pitch a 10 inning shutout only to lose in the 11th!.   (Game after he lost a no hitter).

Best part, it was double header, and next game they score a couple in the 1st.

Edit, I looked it up.   He went 11 and 2/3 and lost to the Twins

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199007061.shtml

Holy crap, Hawkins threw 145 pitches that game.

I missed much of that era by being in the service. Wearing my Yankee hat around people knew I was from NY because the team sucked and no one outside NY would wear it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMC said:

Holy crap, Hawkins threw 145 pitches that game.

I missed much of that era by being in the service. Wearing my Yankee hat around people knew I was from NY because the team sucked and no one outside NY would wear it.

Really, 145 for 12 innings isn't even that bad.

What's funny is after a CG No hitter and an 11 inning shutout his ERA was still over 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Really, 145 for 12 innings isn't even that bad.

What's funny is after a CG No hitter and an 11 inning shutout his ERA was still over 5.

It's doubly remarkable because (1) 145 pitches in-and-of-itself is a lot of pitches and unheard of in today's game and (2) that Hawkins was extremely efficient in throwing only 145 pitches in 12 innings (that's only about 12 pitches per inning).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aaron fing boone. not sure if i love or hate the hire. on one hand he is young and hopefully relate with these kids on the other he has never coached before. i guess we put our trust in cashman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

aaron fing boone. not sure if i love or hate the hire. on one hand he is young and hopefully relate with these kids on the other he has never coached before. i guess we put our trust in cashman 

Makes a lot of sense when you read the article.  Dad was a MLB manager and he has made many connections these past years in the booth as an analyst.  Lots of people to lean on for advice. 

I like the hire

 

 

https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/inside-how-aaron-boone-won-over-the-yankees/

Aaron Boone couldn’t hide his lack of in-uniform credentials. It was not as if he could tell Yankees officials he had managed three years at Double-A and been a bench coach for two in the majors.

His résumé was his résumé, and the Yankees brought him in for an interview regardless because they were intrigued by what they knew about him, what their research showed and what those who knew him well said about him.

Then, over the course of a few-hour interview last month, Boone surprised his Yankees inquisitors with his grasp of all areas of the game. They knew Boone well enough to expect he would be sincere and confident and poised and well-spoken, but it also became clear Boone had been using his role as an ESPN analyst as something akin to a Ph.D. program in modern baseball.

He was not just being handed game notes and reading them on the air. Instead, he was getting a peek behind the fences of just about every organization, gathering what he liked and didn’t like about how matters were handled by front offices and managers.

It was not riding the buses as a minor league manager or getting an eyeful of a whole season as a major league coach. It was a different kind of education and preparation and — at this moment in baseball history — perhaps a better one. He probably was learning a lot more about the modern game, say, chatting freely with A.J. Hinch or Buck Showalter than he could have derived from, say, managing in the Eastern League.

It certainly allowed him to win the room — allaying concerns with Yankees management about his lack of in-uniform leadership experience to such a degree that he got the managing job on Friday.

Now, for the next room — the Yankees’ clubhouse.

Boone will have to win over that group with a lot less history than he had with those who interviewed him to replace Joe Girardi. He can draw on a lifetime in the game as both the grandson and son of former major leaguers, including a major league manager in his father, Bob.

Of course, no number of relatives in the game or hours mulling what you like and don’t like about each organization fully preps anyone for the scope of a major league manager’s responsibility. Whether Boone can handle this all in more than theory is months away from being known.

Clearly, though, he has been devouring all the intel for more than just broadcast reasons. Managing has been a pull for a while now and captivated his attention more as last season wore on. There was likely a continuing future for him at ESPN, but also legitimate concerns with all the job-cutting the network has been doing.

In addition, there was a sport more open to managers following untraditional routes. Organizations are more and more favoring traits that were in Boone’s tool belt — such as being able to communicate and connect with people, being open to new ideas and having self-confidence to withstand external rebuke.

As a longtime friend of Boone said, “He handles noise well.”

It kind of turned into right guy, right place, right time. Brian Cashman and other important Yankees executives knew and liked Boone already, felt his skill set matched up well with what they wanted in a manager.

Modal Triggerboone3.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&st
Boone has three generations of MLB experience in his family to lean on.

Cashman had been stealth in much of the process, but overt any time he spoke publicly that “there are no perfect candidates.” The GM knew no one interviewed was going to check all of the boxes, so this became about checking key ones and then winning the room by showing deficiencies would not define him.

Cashman has told a story over the years that when he was hired as GM in February 1998, at the age of 30 as the second-youngest man at that time ever to hold that title, George Steinbrenner told him The Boss could have found someone older, more experienced or more credentialed for the job. But those Steinbrenner trusted such as Gene Michael championed Cashman and his gut said this was the right way to go.

That always stuck with Cashman, and he has become more and more fearless in his job, particularly over the past five to 10 years. Remember a decade ago that sentiment inside and outside the organization was strong to hire the popular Don Mattingly, but Cashman endorsed Girardi.

If anything, Cashman has become even bolder in his words and actions since once he feels he has arrived at the right decision.

So it is not hard to see what happened here: Boone overcame what was missing on his résumé by winning the room, winning over Cashman.

Now, it is onto the clubhouse to see if Cashman’s gut feeling about Boone was correct and he can win that room, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 6:04 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

aaron fing boone. not sure if i love or hate the hire. on one hand he is young and hopefully relate with these kids on the other he has never coached before. i guess we put our trust in cashman 

Agreed. No idea what to think. With no experience there is nothing to go by.

Cashman wants more control over the lineup apparently. Saber-Lineup-Ing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would it be crazy to move Clint Frazier to 2nd?  He couldnt be worse than Starlin Castro defensively?  Could he????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

would it be crazy to move Clint Frazier to 2nd?  He couldnt be worse than Starlin Castro defensively?  Could he????

I think they go Torreyes at 2B until they think Gleyber Torres is ready and Didi moves to 3B or 2B

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think they go Torreyes at 2B until they think Gleyber Torres is ready and Didi moves to 3B or 2B

trying to get frazier playing time and have him not be traded.  we have 5 FT outfielders as it stands right now not including this kid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

trying to get frazier playing time and have him not be traded.  we have 5 FT outfielders as it stands right now not including this kid?

I think Frazier is going to be traded for pitching.  They just don't need another corner OF for several years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think they go Torreyes at 2B until they think Gleyber Torres is ready and Didi moves to 3B or 2B

Torres will play second, they have another prospect coming up to play 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think Frazier is going to be traded for pitching.  They just don't need another corner OF for several years now.

We are so overloaded in outfield right now I think Cashman is forced to trade Gardner because no one wants Ellsburys contract

 

could be a smart move gardy’s value is high now we can get prospects for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think Frazier is going to be traded for pitching.  They just don't need another corner OF for several years now.

Frazier is a FA, he can't be traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Frazier is a FA, he can't be traded.

not the 3B frazier, the kid(OF).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Frazier is a FA, he can't be traded.

They are talking about Clint Frazier not Todd.  Agree Frazier may be traded eventually.  They have Hicks/Gardy/Ells/Stanton/Judge right now and Florial/McKinney in the minors.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

They are talking about Clint Frazier not Todd.  Agree Frazier may be traded eventually.  They have Hicks/Gardy/Ells/Stanton/Judge right now and Florial/McKinney in the minors.

I dont like Hicks and if Gardy gets them some prospects i am all for it. Ellis goes without saying.  Was hoping Ellis would get some PT in the playoffs over Hicks but nope... Didnt happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

They are talking about Clint Frazier not Todd.  Agree Frazier may be traded eventually.  They have Hicks/Gardy/Ells/Stanton/Judge right now and Florial/McKinney in the minors.

My bad. Sorry

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I dont like Hicks and if Gardy gets them some prospects i am all for it. Ellis goes without saying.  Was hoping Ellis would get some PT in the playoffs over Hicks but nope... Didnt happen...

Hicks is their best defensive CF, and is one of the few guys on the team who doesn't strike out a ton.   Plus he's not that expensive, signed for 2 years, and is a switch hitter.

Conversely, he can't really stay healthy for a full season, but I also don't want Gardner at his age playing CF 150 times a year.    I like Frazier a lot as a prospect, but with Judge and Stanton you just don't have room for another corner OF.   The only way he plays a lot is if Bird goes down (which is NOT impossible) and then Stanton plays first base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I dont like Hicks and if Gardy gets them some prospects i am all for it. Ellis goes without saying.  Was hoping Ellis would get some PT in the playoffs over Hicks but nope... Didnt happen...

Is Gardy a 10 and 5 player?   i don't know if his 1st year qualifies him.  If so, he has no trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Hicks is their best defensive CF, and is one of the few guys on the team who doesn't strike out a ton.   Plus he's not that expensive, signed for 2 years, and is a switch hitter.

Conversely, he can't really stay healthy for a full season, but I also don't want Gardner at his age playing CF 150 times a year.    I like Frazier a lot as a prospect, but with Judge and Stanton you just don't have room for another corner OF.   The only way he plays a lot is if Bird goes down (which is NOT impossible) and then Stanton plays first base.

+1

I like Hicks.  He falls in the - they all can't be superstars category for me.  They need more switch hitters.  I would hope that they plan to play Stanton at first and DH a bunch anyway, though I admit that I am probably not as familiar with him as most.. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, #27TheDominator said:

+1

I like Hicks.  He falls in the - they all can't be superstars category for me.  They need more switch hitters.  I would hope that they plan to play Stanton at first and DH a bunch anyway, though I admit that I am probably not as familiar with him as most.. 

I think they want to rotate DH, which will give Stanton some time off.   Gardner needs some time off, and you want Sanchez to DH a lot as well, as you miss his bat, but he can't catch 150 games a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

I dont like Hicks and if Gardy gets them some prospects i am all for it. Ellis goes without saying.  Was hoping Ellis would get some PT in the playoffs over Hicks but nope... Didnt happen...

I may not be as up on the prospects as some, but... who the heck is Ellis?

EDIT: You meant Ellsbury?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I may not be as up on the prospects as some, but... who the heck is Ellis?

EDIT: You meant Ellsbury?  

Ellsbury, sorry.  Would have liked to see him get hot in the playoffs.  I think he had it in him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...