You Take a Knee and go to OT

jmat321

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

I'm a conservative kind of guy and understood going with McCown's experience. However, the mistakes at the wrong time are starting to add up and it's IMO cancelling out any difference in starting Petty instead.

I really like McCown the team guy, I think he could be a good QB coach in future, but I'd be happy with a switch now. Bowles needs to realize if McCown can't get us home against NE and MIA with leads like that, then he won't get us home in the unlikely chance we make the playoffs and the pressure that brings.

McCown is 38 he's done well for us, he's a career back up QB. Bowles is to stupid to see the Bigger picture. He starts McCown next week.

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

Fire Bowles, cut Skrine, shut down Wilk

No you don't.  There was 47 seconds and three TOs remaining. We have a FG kicker that nailed a 61-yarder against the Browns.  McCown has to know not to throw that pass, not too much to ask a 15 year vet.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Totally agree. They made the right call to try and go for it. McCown is expected to make better decisions. Especially in that spot. Terrible decision, terrible throw. It's on him.

It's easy to blame the CS after he throws the pick but you judge the decision, not the result. It was the right decision to go for it IMO.

i don't mind them trying something at that point.  they needed to get about 40 yards for a decent fg try.  but mccown has developed some tendencies and one is to go to kerley or kearse.  he should have eaten the ball.

3 hours ago, jmat321 said:

We needed to hit the restart button.  Take the commercial break, completely regroup.  Doesn’t matter, Bowles, his defense, his DBs = all garbage.   

Nah, don't talk logically like that. All the football experts are going to tell you how Todd Bowles did the right thing.  "You don't know anything about football" is what they will tell you. 

Oh....here's an idea:  Maybe remind them that two weeks in a row the strategy completely failed costing us both games.   One 1:08 on the clock against New England, 0:47 seconds on the clock against Miami, 2 devastating interceptions, 2 ridiculous losses. 

But you don't know anything about football, remember? 

SAR I

2 hours ago, slats said:

I expected them to take the game to OT, but I like the aggressive move from the coach. The Jets just don't have a QB who could execute it. 

.....finish the thought.

"The Jets just don't have a quarterback who could execute it, so they shouldn't have attempted it."

You don't blame Josh McCown for being Josh McCown. You blame Todd Bowels for thinking his quarterback is Tom Brady. 

SAR I

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Criticizing the wrong thing. This is a problem of execution not strategy. 47 seconds with timeouts to get a fg isn't a knee with an nfl offense. If they play call conservatively that's understandable, but just sitting on it isn't even close to correct. 

LOL.

Just how many times do you people need to see the unfavorable outcome to realize that the decision is wrong?  

SAR I

2 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

There would have been a lot of people bitching that Bowles is too conservative if we just sat on the ball with 3 TO's. 

Yeah, the same idiots who think we should've gone for it. 

Twice. In consecutive weeks. With around a minute left in the half. And throwing the ball.  With Josh McScrub at QB. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Fire Bowles, cut Skrine, shut down Wilk

Wilk just had his first good game of the year. LOL you can't shut him down. If you want to cut him that is fine. But you can't just bench him.

I agree with going for it at the end. Your QB has to make a better decision and throw. But I am not about playing for ties in a season like this. Plus with the way the defense played OT could have been over before the Jets saw the ball.

48 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't mind them trying something at that point.  they needed to get about 40 yards for a decent fg try.  but mccown has developed some tendencies and one is to go to kerley or kearse.  he should have eaten the ball.

Totally agree. It was a terrible decision by him an even worse throw. Especially with 3 timeouts. He has the whole field to work with. Why he felt he needed to try and force that pass on the sideline I have no idea.

I have zero problem going for it, but you call plays that are relatively safe at first, you pick up a big chunk you go on; otherwise you take a sack or something you can take a knee on the second play.

My problem is that we basically took a knee at the end of the 3rd quarter. For the second week in a row, we let the other team come back and then hoped that our 38 year old journeyman could put the game on his shoulders and win the game. You put him in a bad situation to get there. 

McCown has to know that an incomplete, short gain,  long gain, even a sack is okay - a turnover is the only bad outcome...

2 hours ago, August said:

McCown making a terrible throw at the end of a game doesn't mean that it was the wrong decision to be aggressive.  

The sinking of the Titanic doesn't mean it was wrong to limit the amount of lifeboats because of aesthetics.

SAR I

2 hours ago, August said:

McCown making a terrible throw at the end of a game doesn't mean that it was the wrong decision to be aggressive.  

The Hindenburg exploding doesn't mean that it was wrong to design an aircraft that was filled with hydrogen and susceptible to conducting electricity when wet.

SAR I

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Just because you can type doesn't make you smart or right.

I don't need to type.  I mean, you did see the results of doing it the "right way", yes?  Took Tom Brady 0:26 seconds to score the tying TD at the half last week, took the Dolphins 0:56 to score the winning FG at the half this week.

The "right way" is completely related to the quarterback entrusted to take such high risks.  Josh McCown?  LOL.  Yeah, there goes your "right way".

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't need to type.  I mean, you did see the results of doing it the "right way", yes?  Took Tom Brady 0:26 seconds to score the tying TD at the half last week, took the Dolphins 0:56 to score the winning FG at the half this week.

The "right way" is completely related to the quarterback entrusted to take such high risks.  Josh McCown?  LOL.  Yeah, there goes your "right way".

SAR I

You don't win in this league by playing scared - I don't care who your QB is. If you haven't noticed this league is all about offense , shutting down you O and trying to eke out wins with defense is a thing of the past . 

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You don't win in this league by playing scared - I don't care who your QB is. If you haven't noticed this league is all about offense , shutting down you O and trying to eke out wins with defense is a thing of the past . 

I agree with this completely if one has a legitimate quarterback, a trustworthy offensive line, running backs who can block, and sure-handed WR's who run air-tight routes.

The Jets have none of this.  So playing with fire on the 15 yard line with 0:46 seconds left is a recipe for disaster.  No different than the week before against Bill Belichick with 1:08 on the clock.  We have no business following the script that a decent offense would run when our offense is so bad. 

SAR I

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree with this completely if one has a legitimate quarterback, a trustworthy offensive line, running backs who can block, and sure-handed WR's who run air-tight routes.

The Jets have none of this.  So playing with fire on the 15 yard line with 0:46 seconds left is a recipe for disaster.  No different than the week before against Bill Belichick with 1:08 on the clock.  We have no business following the script that a decent offense would run when our offense is so bad. 

SAR I

if they had all that they probably would not have been in that position against the fish

9 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I have zero problem going for it, but you call plays that are relatively safe at first, you pick up a big chunk you go on; otherwise you take a sack or something you can take a knee on the second play.

My problem is that we basically took a knee at the end of the 3rd quarter. For the second week in a row, we let the other team come back and then hoped that our 38 year old journeyman could put the game on his shoulders and win the game. You put him in a bad situation to get there. 

McCown has to know that an incomplete, short gain,  long gain, even a sack is okay - a turnover is the only bad outcome...

good points. it seemed like they were making those plays even into the third quarter but then the offense stalled. a lot of the reason was stupid penalties on otherwise successful plays.  and whatever the defense was doing stopped working.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Maybe remind them that two weeks in a row the strategy completely failed costing us both games.   One 1:08 on the clock against New England, 0:47 seconds on the clock against Miami, 2 devastating interceptions, 2 ridiculous losses. 

even games they won, JAX Int at 03:22 after fumble at 10:33 

21 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Totally agree. They made the right call to try and go for it. McCown is expected to make better decisions. Especially in that spot. Terrible decision, terrible throw. It's on him.

It's easy to blame the CS after he throws the pick but you judge the decision, not the result. It was the right decision to go for it IMO.

I have to agree as well. The fins had serious momentum and they were marching down the field at will. Had to go for it. With 3 TO's they could have been more patient and threw down the middle a couple times says the arm chair QB. McCown just made a bad throw at the worse possible time. Defense needs to play 4 quarters instead of 3.

15 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

if they had all that they probably would not have been in that position against the fish

Precisely.  So without a good OL, without a good blocking RB, without strong WR's, and with the worst starting QB in the NFL you don't take the chance that he'll throw the game away.  Which is what he did.  In consecutive weeks.  To division opponents.

Bowles is a moron.

SAR I

Archived