Your Garage After Winning LOTTO

The Crimson King

So you've won a humungo LOTTO. Congrats. You set up your financial team and took a few exotic trips. You bought a house with a six car garage. How do you fill it?

Remember that you still need to drive to the city, park at the game or haul all those huge purchases from Sam Ash back home so it doesn't make sense to just get 6 McLarens. Also, tip for you exotic car guys, other than the track, there is no place to really drive these things in this country. There are cops all over the Tail of the Dragons of this land now.

Mine would be:

1. current "baby" stored for a decade or so
  2. Porsche 718 Boxster S for the twisties turnies and sunny summer days (stored for winter)
  3. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (or whatever they call the off road model this time around) for trips to Utah (which means 2 door only) 
  4. Morgan Three Wheeler, also for sunny days (stored when it is not June, July or August)
  5. Audi A4 Quattro for x-country trips, passengers and daily driver
  6. VW Golf, cheapo model for the city, ballpark and in case a house guest needs to use a car 

I would sell the house with the 6-car garage, and take that money along with the remainder of my winnings, pay off all of my student loan debt, and invest the rest in a Roth IRA. 

I would then move into a smaller house with a 1-car garage, and fill it with my current 2010 Mazda 6.  I would continue working and buy a slight upgrade in vehicle around 2021-22.

I would also not tell my girlfriend or any of my friends and family that I won the lottery. 

I know dick about cars, but I really like the look of the stuff that was being manufactured in the 30s and 40s. I'd probably buy a brand new Jaguar for the wife, then get myself an old gloss black Cadillac or something to that effect. 

I'd also get a beat-up Saturn and drive it around town so people would say, "There goes Bombdirt. He won the lottery but he's still modest enough to drive that beat-up Saturn. What a great guy." 

1945-fleetwood-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I know dick about cars, but I really like the look of the stuff that was being manufactured in the 30s and 40s. I'd probably buy a brand new Jaguar for the wife, then get myself an old gloss black Cadillac or something to that effect. 

I'd also get a beat-up Saturn and drive it around town so people would say, "There goes Bombdirt. He won the lottery but he's still modest enough to drive that beat-up Saturn. What a great guy." 

1945-fleetwood-1.jpg

but customize the Saturn and have a bitchin' engine and interior put in 

On 10/23/2017 at 11:57 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I would sell the house with the 6-car garage, and take that money along with the remainder of my winnings, pay off all of my student loan debt, and invest the rest in a Roth IRA. 

I would then move into a smaller house with a 1-car garage, and fill it with my current 2010 Mazda 6.  I would continue working and buy a slight upgrade in vehicle around 2021-22.

I would also not tell my girlfriend or any of my friends and family that I won the lottery. 

Yeah....    im not into cars and bling either.  

As a CPA, I had 2 lottery winners as clients. Both in NY in the 90's. Both went bankrupt.

They were low winners...$2 million and $1.2 million BUT this was 1990 or so.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

As a CPA, I had 2 lottery winners as clients. Both in NY in the 90's. Both went bankrupt.

Living within your means is a foreign concept to many.  Especially the subset of the population that tends to play the lottery often.  

Cool thread. I don’t spend a ton of money on mine, but they’re all favorites.

All time must have car. Volvo P1800
be9df26fa75fb448a0edc83ec54e9d47.jpg

Gotta have a crappy old truck
544f51bee715c2c862a51353664388d8.jpg

Datsun B210 - Din’t know why, just love em.
7b3c120e6c47c0fb4b19d125fd87fac2.jpg

For when society finally breaks down, an Int’l Harvester box truck
a44e0fb04cc71482347e626f196adf24.jpg

For getting pulled over
b270bf5aaaaab12a7b77a51ba187aad6.jpg

For taking the wife out, a 55 Ford Fairlane
d20d30ad7eeb71a1d56c5eefa6f2cf16.jpg

On 10/23/2017 at 11:57 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

At $5,500 a year and a $132,000 per year income cap, I guess we're not talking about a big win?

anyone familiar with Icon?

http://www.icon4x4.com/about-icon

http://www.icon4x4.com/derelict/purpose

Among other cool products, like manufacturing modern versions of some nice desert playthings, they take old cars, gut them and replace everything with modern components so you have the coolness of golden age vehicles (see the claw's choices above), but you have a car that drives like a 2017 car (excecting the poor aerodynamics and high centers of gravity). I'd have them do an LT-4 in derelict '54 Chevy 210. Maybe Porsche-ize a '65 Corvair Monza. my first car.  It would be a tough choice. I think the waiting time for one of these is two years so you may only want to buy 5 cars with your LOTTO money to leave a spot open.

How about that 1800? http://www.icon4x4.com/inventory/gallery/projects/6

Maybe a '48 Buick with 670hp? http://www.icon4x4.com/derelict/pastprojects/5

I apologize in advance to any car guy for the time sink

On 10/24/2017 at 5:14 PM, southparkcpa said:

The probably needed a better accountant. ^_^

Just effin' with you.  LOL.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived