Early Offseason Mock & Draft

mattyb143224

After an exciting but difficult start to the season 2017 - I figured why not discuss how we can improve & look forward to the offseason of 2018. 

Projected 2017 Cap Casualties: CB Buster Skrine, RB Matt Forte

Projected 2018 Cap Space: $90 Million 

Projected 2018 Free Agent Signs:

QB Jimmy Garoppolo [Free Agent - Pats]

CB Malcolm Butler [Free Agent - Pats] 

WR Quincy Enunwa [Resign]

OT Brent Qvale [Resign]

TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins [Resign]

WR Jeremy Kerley [Resign]

CB Morris Claiborne [Resign]

ILB Demario Davis [Resign]

Projected 2018 Draft Picks:

(1) OLB Arden Key - LSU 

(2a) C / OL Billy Price - Ohio State

(2b) CB Travarus McFadden - Florida State 

(3) NT Vita Vea - Washington

(4) WR Deon Cain - Clemson

(5a) DL B.J. Hill - NC State

(5b) OT Brock Ruble - Florida

(6) RB Lavon Coleman - Washington

(7) ILB Myles Morgan - Notre Dame. 

My theme > consistency. Bring back players that have been productive. Improve through the draft. Oh and get a guy extremely talented [as much as any of the QBs in the draft] who has spent 4 years learning under Tom Brady. Could make the Jets vs. Pats series very interesting to say the least. Instead of having to groom a young guy for 2-3 years, we get a young guy who has talent, experience, and a solid football IQ. Also we would have solid young depth at corner with Claiborne, Butler, McFadden, Burris, Roberts, Clark, & Jones. 

I respect what you have going on here, but if you’re gonna spend 15+ mil on Garoppolo (an unknown) why not spend 25 mil on Kirk, who is a legitimate top 10 qb?

Kerley and Enunwa seems like a lot. I could see one or the other being retained. We already have Kearse, Anderson and the two rookies of this year on team. Stewart seems like he is kind of in the Enunwa mold so maybe Kerley? That would be 5 before draft.

Similarly, Claiborne and Butler seems like a lot if we are going to take a cb high in draft. I’d just do Claiborne due to all money im dropping on Kirk.

I don’t know why we would rather Arden Key than someone like Barkley or a top ranked WR to finally add explosion to our offense? Please God, let it finally happen. I wouldn’t mind double dipping and having someone like Ridley and coming back to take Deon Cain. That would push us up to 7 WR, but they’d be a good crowd. Maybe only 6 make team.

i know nothing about your other draft picks but I like the spread of positions. I would like a speedy, shifty back on the team. Powell will be 29 and either this year or next is his last year on deal I forget.

Somewhat Realistic Dream Scenario for next year:

I cut Forte, Skrine, and Wilk

I re-sign ASJ, Wes Johnson, Ealy, Demario Davis, Terence Brooks

FA pickups highlighted by Kirk Cousins and Davante Adams.

In first 4 rounds, I draft Saquon Barkley, Tavares McFadden, Deon Cain, Jarrett Stidham and Cameron Smith.

===

QB: Kirk (FA pickup $$$$$, Petty, Jarrett Stidham (3rd rd pick)

RB: Barkley (1st rd-4th overall), Powell, McGuire

WR: Davante Adams (FA pickup $$$), Kearse, Anderson, Deon Cain (2nd round pick-b), Stewart, Hansen

TE: ASJ (re-sign), Jordan Leggett, Eric Tomlinson

OL: Beachum, Carpenter, Johnson (re-sign), Winters, Shell

===

DL: Ealy (re-sign), Pennel/Simon, Leonard Williams, Pennel, Simon (goodbye wilk)

LB: Jenkins, Lee, Davis (re-sign), Cameron Smith (4th rd pick)

CB: Claiborne (re-sign), Tavarus McFadden (2nd rd - pick a), Seth Roberts

S: Adams, Maye, Brooks (re-sign)

9 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Somewhat Realistic Dream Scenario for next year:

I cut Forte, Skrine, and Wilk

I re-sign ASJ, Wes Johnson, Ealy, Demario Davis, Terence Brooks

FA pickups highlighted by Kirk Cousins and Davante Adams.

In first 4 rounds, I draft Saquon Barkley, Tavares McFadden, Deon Cain, Jarrett Stidham and Cameron Smith.

===

QB: Kirk (FA pickup $$$$$, Petty, Jarrett Stidham (3rd rd pick)

RB: Barkley (1st rd-4th overall), Powell, McGuire

WR: Davante Adams (FA pickup $$$), Kearse, Anderson, Deon Cain (2nd round pick-b), Stewart, Hansen

TE: ASJ (re-sign), Jordan Leggett, Eric Tomlinson

OL: Beachum, Carpenter, Johnson (re-sign), Winters, Shell

===

DL: Ealy (re-sign), Pennel/Simon, Leonard Williams, Pennel, Simon (goodbye wilk)

LB: Jenkins, Lee, Davis (re-sign), Cameron Smith (4th rd pick)

CB: Claiborne (re-sign), Tavarus McFadden (2nd rd - pick a), Seth Roberts

S: Adams, Maye, Brooks (re-sign)

You would resign the player who has the lowest rating from PFF of any Jet offensive player? This guy is a bum,and should be shown the door right now for Dozier. If you wonder why we can't run the ball, look no further than our starting center.

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

You would resign the player who has the lowest rating from PFF of any Jet offensive player? This guy is a bum,and should be shown the door right now for Dozier. If you wonder why we can't run the ball, look no further than our starting center.

Can Dozier even snap?  I don't think he ever snapped a ball prior to 2015 and was already having trouble transitioning inside.  They barely play him at C in the preseason and I'm pretty sure the fear of having him play C in a game is why they signed Jonotthan Harrison.  Guy was passed over at C for Dalton Freeman and Johnson and his play at guard is probably directly related to Winters getting that money. 

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is what you gripe about? Yes I resign him because 1) continuity, 2)he’s cheap. Sign dozier too if you want- he’s cheap too. 

As you can see I tried to find playmakers in the draft. I am loathe to use picks 1-4 on a center. As you can see I did not bother pretending to know about anyone that would be available in rounds 5-7. Ideally we’d pick up developmental oline and cbs there. 

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

This is what you gripe about? Yes I resign him because 1) continuity, 2)he’s cheap. Sign dozier too if you want- he’s cheap too. 

As you can see I tried to find playmakers in the draft. I am loathe to use picks 1-4 on a center. As you can see I did not bother pretending to know about anyone that would be available in rounds 5-7. Ideally we’d pick up developmental oline and cbs there. 

giphy.gif

While I would love for us to sign Garropolo, I feel there's already a deal in place with New England. Hence, why he wasnt traded when teams were offering a first rounder + this offseason.

They'll franchise him, whether exclusive or non. In which case we'd be giving up two first round picks for him.

Do you like Garropolo that much to pay about 20 mil per and give up those picks?

I would. And anyone who thinks that insane, I'll tell you it'll take a lot more to trade for Darnold or Rosen from where we'll be picking. And both are huge question marks going into the draft.

We'd have to give up probably 3 1sts, and maybe a couple of 2nds to move up for them.

But in the end, I suspect he'll be staying in New England. They want McDaniels/Garropolo to succeed BB/Brady. 

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

While I would love for us to sign Garropolo, I feel there's already a deal in place with New England. Hence, why he wasnt traded when teams were offering a first rounder + this offseason.

I don't know if I believe this.  I know they say the Browns offered #12 and more for him, but it seems like a bit much for a guy with 1 year left on his deal.  I don't think I'd make that move. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know if I believe this.  I know they say the Browns offered #12 and more for him, but it seems like a bit much for a guy with 1 year left on his deal.  I don't think I'd make that move. 

You might be right. Could have been Garropolo's agent or the Pats leaking that crap out. Very good point. 

Either way I think he's a franchise guy. Banging my head on the table when we had a shot to draft him. But ya know...Idzik and Geno, sustained success and all those chanpionships we ended up winning with that regime. 

We have zero pass rush - our OLB's are pretty weak to say the least. Ok so remove Butler and Grapp insert Cousins. You get the picture - use FA to find franchise QB. We don't need more WR's is this board retarted? Kerley might not be resigned but Enunwa will be. We are not losing ball games because of poor WR play. We are losing because we can't finish games on D, stopping the run, and sacking the QB. We don't need another fast shifty back. We have that in Powell and McGuire. We need a strong goal-line back. We need a better O-Line that can actually run the ball - and a pass rush that can get after the QB. Oh and we need a franchise QB. If we used a first rounder on a WR I would be pretty upset. 

Malcom Butler... No thanks, dude is overrated and living off of 1 play because Seattle's receiver did not attack the ball, just waited on it (and that was a dumb call at that point with 1 time out left and Lynch running decently). Butler is nothing special, and especially at a premium price, which he will get.

Jimmy G. - Sorry but the fact that he has been behind Brady for 4 years means jack. He has played well in 1 game. Not well in another and gotten hurt. Too much unknown to give him a truck load of money. 

Nice try based on your theme, but no thanks. 

Archived