Rex Ryan opens up on Mark Sanchez & Geno Smith, discusses Jets current QBs (hold on to your butts JN, here comes a 100-pager)

Mogglez

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Rex certainly had his flaws as a HC.  There were many.  But, nothing he's quoted as saying in this article is inaccurate.

If he knew from the start that Sanchez wasn't going to be the franchise guy, why did he go along with the extension?  Why wasn't he yelling to anyone who would listen that they needed a new QB, rather than double down on one who was just "OK"?

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

"With Sanchez, I knew he wasn't going to be a franchise quarterback, "

This moron says this...yet TRADED UP in the first round for him. Granted we didn't bet the house for that pick but still. Who draft's a QB that high if they don't think they're a franchise qb? He said that viewed Mark as "OK" They could have signed an OK QB and used their first round pick elsewhere. But to trade up for ok, doesnt add up.

But for all his nonsense. He was right about Tyrod Taylor. For where he was drafted, Tyord has developed into a pretty good starting quarterback.

Trading up for Sanchez wasn't the big sin.  No one knew on draft day what he would be.  But to double down on him after that awful 2011 season with a contract extension?  Unforgivable.  And Rex was just as culpable for that decision as Tannenbaum was.  

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:
  • Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

It shouldn't surprise anyone the Jets' quarterbacks have thrown a league-high 85 interceptions since 2013. Over the same span, they're 31st in passer rating (76.5), ahead of only the Factory of Sadness, the Cleveland Browns.

Laughed hard at this one. The most accurate description of a franchise since Lupica coined Dog-Ass Jets.

Typical Rex bullsh*t. I didn't really hate the guy just though he was a buffoon as a person and a guy who wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it came to offense. Other than that....whatever.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right. Which is weird, because although it's true Sanchez walked into a very talented team and Geno had little to work with, Sanchez actually won some games and was part of Rex's claim to fame. 

If Rex and Co didn’t think that Sanchez was any good then TRADE him and move on.  

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, I don't know about you, but this quote has me screaming internally.

Screenshot_20171025-145400~2.png

me too. you don't tatoo sanchez on any part of anyone's body if you don't think he's going to be more than okay. and maybe if they had gotten more than holmes to throw to he would've done better.

4 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Poor Rex always the victim, still playing that "If I only had a QB" card when I'm sure he was just as much on board with the Sanchez pick than Tanny was.  By the way, while it didn't work out well I do give Tanny and Rex credit for at least getting aggressive and trying to find a franchise guy.  Its your turn Macc no more 3rd and 4th rd projects.

it was just the wrong draft unless they could've moved up to 1.  stafford went 1st followed by sanchez and then josh freeman.  after that not much.  only stafford and sanchez remain from that draft.

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Who the $%^ trades up to #5 overall for a guy who isn't expected to be a franchise QB?  Either Rex is lying through his teeth or he's incompetent.  Either way, the only HC gig he's getting again is in the college ranks.

Good luck to Rex Ryan getting players from the bible belt to commit in their church-goer parents' living room. 

"So you pay people to sleep with your wife? Record it? And watch it for your pleasure? And I'm supposed to trust you with watching over my son?"

Spot on.

When you think about it, Rex was a QB guru. Got the most out of Geno with sh*t around him and made Mark Sanchez into a playoff winning QB.  The guy found Tyrod Taylor and built the Bills and now look at them now.

oh well.  Life goes on.  But we can always remember the good old days!!!

I lost a ton of respect for Rex and his made up history.  he's just trying to make himself look better. Mark had 2 RZ Ints his first 2 years(both in blowout losses), as the talent lessened around him the #s went up in year 3 and year 4. His great "I wanted Tryod Taylor" line, how many playoff games did he win w/. Tyrod Taylor?  This is Rex deflecting blame from his overrated D's blowing SB chances. 

15 hours ago, gEYno said:

The biggest blunder was that extension.  At least you can understand the trade-up for Mark, though they should have brought in an adequate Vet, or begged Favre to come back.

No, the biggest blunder was removing all the talent around him and expecting him to get better then bringing in noted offensive guru Tony Sparano and adding a little Tim Tebow for fun.  Mark proved a team can win big w/ him when the right talent was around him so instead of adding talent for the young QB we kept adding defensive players high in the draft which worked out really well.

begged Favre to come back for what? to sabotage 2009 the way he did 2008?

15 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

younger Tyrod Taylor would have been nice

Yeah, Tyrod's play in January has been outstanding.:lol:

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I truly think that if Favre came back and was healthy the jets could have been polishing a trophy that year.

Do people not forget that Brett Favre was the iron man and would play through any pain? do they forget he sucked most of that year? do they forget he never wanted to be here and played like it most of the year? do they forget he supposedly got hurt in October then had his only good stretch of football in November before tanking it when it got cold? It just amazes how Jet fans can think highly of a guy who never wanted to be here, was helping Packer opponents prepare for games instead of preparing for our games and absolutely tanked it the last month when we had a great shot in a down AFC while at the same time bashing a QB that actually loved it here and helped us win.

21 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

But... but... but...

I thought it was IDZIK who didn't want Sanchez starting, and thus forced Rex's hand into playing Mark late in the 4th pre-season game, thus getting Sanchez injured.

Yeah this and the "we knew when we traded up to #5" stuff sets off the bullshit-o-meter. It seemed quite clear to me that he was putting in Sanchez that game, with Geno having a horrid game, to have a stark turnaround from Geno, and in doing so show up Idzik who insisted on continuing the competition Rex thought over, and put a "see, I was right and you were wrong" stamp on it.

So Rex puts him in, and as we all know Mark got injured. Then Mark's ire was directed at Idzik, whom he started yelling at on the sideline, rather than Rex. Meanwhile, for all his anger, Mark should have wiped the floor with a massively unready Geno weeks earlier that offseason, and just didn't. 

Eff them all.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:59 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Eff them all.

This.

Not one of these guys helped the franchise. I never understand why people here split hairs so fervently over who shat their pants more detrimentally. They all sucked.

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rex is admitting what most people know. Mark Sanchez wasn't very good.

The shrug of the shoulders going on in this thread over such a statement is frustrating.  If he knew this, he needed to be pounding the table for a new QB.  By admitting this, if he truly knew Sanchez wasn't good, then his whole tenure was even worse than we thought, if that were possible.

It would be more forgivable if he was "duped" into thinking that Sanchez might one day be good.  They invested a lot in Sanchez, and while honoring a sunken cost is a lousy way to try to run a franchise, it's pretty much human nature and hard to avoid.  But that's not what he was saying happened in this article. 

We wasted some very talented teams, carried over from the Mangini era, over the decisions at the QB position.  This should piss people off. 

18 hours ago, PS17 said:

LOL. Yeah, Rex, you knew all along and nothing's ever your fault. You tattooed him next to your wife's feet. c-l-o-w-n

Rex is such a big fat liar.  He always has been.  He should be embarrassed with his self-serving revisionist history.  And all the idiots like me who thought that Rex was going to be the Messiah for the Jets were left holding their dicks.  Amazing that some people still think he was a decent coach.  He sucked. He sucked as badly as Mark Sanchez did.  Sanchez was never as good as people here claimed.  The blind ones still think we made the playoffs due to Sanchez rather than in spite of him.  And Rex was one of those.  Now he's changing his tune, the self-serving narcissist that he is.  Sanchez didn't improve for three reasons: 1. Rex and his coaches were too incompetent to develop him. 2. Sanchez is dumb as a rock and couldn't learn anything he needed to do to excel in an offense and 3. Sanchez's work effort was a myth.  He didn't train or work hard and he didn't study film as some people here claimed.  He was party boy.  Good riddance to him and to Rex.  Both gave us false promises and false hope.  At least with Bowles there is no false hope.  Everyone knows he sucks and we are going no where with him.  There are no delusions as there were with Rex.

/end rant

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No, the biggest blunder was removing all the talent around him and expecting him to get better then bringing in noted offensive guru Tony Sparano and adding a little Tim Tebow for fun.  Mark proved a team can win big w/ him when the right talent was around him so instead of adding talent for the young QB we kept adding defensive players high in the draft which worked out really well.

begged Favre to come back for what? to sabotage 2009 the way he did 2008?

Keep falling on the same sword if you like.  The league has spoken, and Sanchez is a 3rd string QB.

Archived