Rex Ryan opens up on Mark Sanchez & Geno Smith, discusses Jets current QBs (hold on to your butts JN, here comes a 100-pager)

Mogglez

The Taylor trade attempt (instead of Geno) and this quote are the more interesting parts of the interview for me

"With Sanchez, we just couldn't have it anymore," Ryan said. "The boneheaded interceptions, especially in the red zone, it was mind boggling. Unfortunately, Mark never really got better. I think that was the disappointing thing to me."

You could see it in his face in Nashville on December 17, 2012 - (2 fumbles, 4 interceptions) we all knew by that point that Mark did not have the drive to make it, sadly Rex should have benched Mark way before that to challenge him but history now...

also no mention of Tebow - how do you interview Rex about Jets QB's and not have a Tebow question ready?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, I don't know about you, but this quote has me screaming internally.

Screenshot_20171025-145400~2.png

Well Rex, if you didn't believe Sanchez was a franchise QB, maybe you should have spoken to Tanny about that before you guys traded up for Sanchez. 

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

it was just the wrong draft unless they could've moved up to 1.  stafford went 1st followed by sanchez and then josh freeman.  after that not much.  only stafford and sanchez remain from that draft.

Yep like I said it didn't work out but I do like that they took the chance and went a real potential franchise QB.  Considering our QB situation it's amazing to think this organization hasn't taken a QB in the first rd since 2009.  I know Macc hasn't been here since then so it's not all his fault, my point though is that it's time, we can't keep using the whole"next years QB class is better" argument.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The shrug of the shoulders going on in this thread over such a statement is frustrating.  If he knew this, he needed to be pounding the table for a new QB.  By admitting this, if he truly knew Sanchez wasn't good, then his whole tenure was even worse than we thought, if that were possible.

It would be more forgivable if he was "duped" into thinking that Sanchez might one day be good.  They invested a lot in Sanchez, and while honoring a sunken cost is a lousy way to try to run a franchise, it's pretty much human nature and hard to avoid.  But that's not what he was saying happened in this article. 

We wasted some very talented teams, carried over from the Mangini era, over the decisions at the QB position.  This should piss people off. 

I agree. But there's nothing we can do about it now. Rex isn't part of this franchise anymore. He does say he thought he'd be good enough to win with. So I guess that's his argument for why he kept his mouth shut about it? Idk, just guessing. He also could have been campaigning for a new QB behind closed doors and we just never heard about it because the front office invested a lot in Mark and cutting bait with him makes them look really bad. He did say he tried to trade for Tyrod who would have helped us out a ton. He's a much better QB than Mark Sanchez. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Keep falling on the same sword if you like.  The league has spoken, and Sanchez is a 3rd string QB.

who cares? he was good for us.  keep celebrating Favre who sabotaged our season though.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The Taylor trade attempt (instead of Geno) and this quote are the more interesting parts of the interview for me

"With Sanchez, we just couldn't have it anymore," Ryan said. "The boneheaded interceptions, especially in the red zone, it was mind boggling. Unfortunately, Mark never really got better. I think that was the disappointing thing to me."

You could see it in his face in Nashville on December 17, 2012 - (2 fumbles, 4 interceptions) we all knew by that point that Mark did not have the drive to make it, sadly Rex should have benched Mark way before that to challenge him but history now...

also no mention of Tebow - how do you interview Rex about Jets QB's and not have a Tebow question ready?

that was the same game his vaunted D gave up a 95 yd TD run.

By the way, the WR/TE targets in the pass game that night:

Jeff Cumberland 9 targets, 4 recs

Braylon Edwards(a shell of his former self who we just picked up) 5 targets, 3 recs

Jeremy Kerley 5 targets, 1 rec

Konrad Reuland 2 targets, 1 rec

Clyde Gates 1 target, 0 recs

Mardy Gilyard 2 targets, 0 recs

and we wonder why he sucked that year?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The shrug of the shoulders going on in this thread over such a statement is frustrating.  If he knew this, he needed to be pounding the table for a new QB.  By admitting this, if he truly knew Sanchez wasn't good, then his whole tenure was even worse than we thought, if that were possible.

It would be more forgivable if he was "duped" into thinking that Sanchez might one day be good.  They invested a lot in Sanchez, and while honoring a sunken cost is a lousy way to try to run a franchise, it's pretty much human nature and hard to avoid.  But that's not what he was saying happened in this article. 

We wasted some very talented teams, carried over from the Mangini era, over the decisions at the QB position.  This should piss people off. 

we certainly wasted 2008 but we did not waste 2009 and 2010 at QB, what cost us in those years were Rex's overrated defenses.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No, the biggest blunder was removing all the talent around him and expecting him to get better then bringing in noted offensive guru Tony Sparano and adding a little Tim Tebow for fun.  Mark proved a team can win big w/ him when the right talent was around him so instead of adding talent for the young QB we kept adding defensive players high in the draft which worked out really well.

begged Favre to come back for what? to sabotage 2009 the way he did 2008?

Yeah, Tyrod's play in January has been outstanding.:lol:

Do people not forget that Brett Favre was the iron man and would play through any pain? do they forget he sucked most of that year? do they forget he never wanted to be here and played like it most of the year? do they forget he supposedly got hurt in October then had his only good stretch of football in November before tanking it when it got cold? It just amazes how Jet fans can think highly of a guy who never wanted to be here, was helping Packer opponents prepare for games instead of preparing for our games and absolutely tanked it the last month when we had a great shot in a down AFC while at the same time bashing a QB that actually loved it here and helped us win.

and this is why i lost a lot of respect for you as a poster along time ago with this shtick... 

Favre started the year 11-3 and took an absolute beating!!!!  you keep saying he tanked when it got cold???? good god my man, the guy came from playing his whole ******* career in GB, does the frozen tundra name ring a bell???  I remember him barely able to climb the steps to the podium after one game because his ankle looked like a grapefruit!  But the end all to the proof that he was playing injured, not hurt, was that he required surgery on his throwing arm bicep after the season.

My question to Rex has always been about the 2012 season. With Mark imploding and with Tebow (who had knocked the Jets out of the playoffs the previous year) why didn't he go to Tim and at least give him a few starts. OK Tebow was terrible in practice, threw balls short or over guy's heads but in real games he had a winning record and had made the playoffs with Denver. What could the Jets have lost since Mark was playing so terrible and they only had Greg McElroy who was also pretty bad. I would have liked to have seen Tim play at least get a start. If bad then bench him. But he had some intangibles and maybe we might have won some games. I have my theories on this but nobody has ever addressed that. As to why he only was allowed to throw something like six passes all season. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

My question to Rex has always been about the 2012 season. With Mark imploding and with Tebow (who had knocked the Jets out of the playoffs the previous year) why didn't he go to Tim and at least give him a few starts. OK Tebow was terrible in practice, threw balls short or over guy's heads but in real games he had a winning record and had made the playoffs with Denver. What could the Jets have lost since Mark was playing so terrible and they only had Greg McElroy who was also pretty bad. I would have liked to have seen Tim play at least get a start. If bad then bench him. But he had some intangibles and maybe we might have won some games. I have my theories on this but nobody has ever addressed that. As to why he only was allowed to throw something like six passes all season. 

Because Tebow sucked

43 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that was the same game his vaunted D gave up a 95 yd TD run.

By the way, the WR/TE targets in the pass game that night:

Jeff Cumberland 9 targets, 4 recs

Braylon Edwards(a shell of his former self who we just picked up) 5 targets, 3 recs

Jeremy Kerley 5 targets, 1 rec

Konrad Reuland 2 targets, 1 rec

Clyde Gates 1 target, 0 recs

Mardy Gilyard 2 targets, 0 recs

and we wonder why he sucked that year?

Tebow was brought in to run the wildcat, the oc sparano at the time didn't even properly institute that package so it made the player useless.

On top of it the boys (Tanny-REx) had promised tebow he would be the back up QB and thus he had to be the one as the backup and he was not an NFL QB.

People love to heap scorn on tebow himself but the team made the errors.

8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

and this is why i lost a lot of respect for you as a poster along time ago with this shtick... 

Favre started the year 11-3 and took an absolute beating!!!!  you keep saying he tanked when it got cold???? good god my man, the guy came from playing his whole ******* career in GB, does the frozen tundra name ring a bell???  I remember him barely able to climb the steps to the podium after one game because his ankle looked like a grapefruit!  But the end all to the proof that he was playing injured, not hurt, was that he required surgery on his throwing arm bicep after the season.

I don't even know who you are so I apologize for not caring about your respect.

Favre didn't start the year 11-3, the New York jets started the year 8-3 mostly in spite of his erratic play.  against a creampuff sched w/ no Tom Brady we struggled most of that year even during the 8-3 run.  He had a good stretch of 3-4 games in November along w/ the Cardinal game.  other than that he was awful all year both pre and post the supposed injury.

Late in his career he struggled in cold weather, do you remember the 2007 NFC Championship Game that he threw away to the Giants? earlier in his career he was really good in the cold but it affected him more late. Let's look at cold weather games from 2005-2009(we'll say under 40 degrees):

2005:

vs. Min: 20-33, 227 yds, 2 TDs, 2 INts lost 20-17(threw pick 6)

at Chi: 31-58, 277, 0, 2. lost 19-7(threw pick 6)

vs. Det: 21-31, 170, 0, 1 won 16-13

at Bal: 14-29, 144, 0, 2, lost 48-3

vs. Chi: 30-51, 317, 0, 4, lost 24-17(led O to 10 pts, threw pick 6)

vs. Sea: 21-37, 259, 1, 1 won 23-17(seattle was resting players for playoffs)

2006:

at Sea: 22-36, 266,1,3, lost 34-24(led O to 17)

vs. NYJ: 24-47, 214, 1, 2, lost 38-10

vs. Min: 26-50, 285, 0, 2 won 9-7(threw pick 6)

2007:

vs. Oak: 15-23, 266, 2, 1 won 38-7(led O to 24 pts)

at Chi: 17-32, 153, 0,2 lost 35-7(threw pick 6)

vs. Det: 9-11, 99, 2, 0 won 34-13(rested 2nd half)

playoffs:

vs. Sea: 18-23, 173, 3, 0 won 42-20

vs. NYG: 19-35, 236, 2,2 lost 23-20(threw INt to set up GW FG for Giants)

2008 w/ Jets:

vs. den: 23-43, 247, 0, 1 lost 34-17

at Sea: 18-31, 187, 0, 2

2009 w/ Vikings: none

from 2005-2008 essentially he played 16 games below 40 degrees(what would be a full NFL season's worth):

328-570, 3520 yds, 14 TDs, 27 INTs, 6 pick 6's, led Os to 15.8 PPG, rating was 64.2

tell me again how great he was in the cold at that stage of his career?

I have no problem at this point with Rex Ryan.....

I said it then and I will say it now no way should the Jets have started Sanchez if they thought that the team was a “win” now Group.  

It was simple math to me; no player with as little experience as Sanchez had has ever won a Conference Championship let alone a NFL Title!!!

That is ever; NEVER!!!

I said after Sanchez’ second year that he needed more talent around him not less based upon his play on the field, that he probably wasn’t going to get to much better under the Jets stellar training methods, red light, green light, one, two, three... and so on that they should TRADE him if they weren’t going to do the former.  

The fact that the Jets and yes Rex Ryan couldn’t see what was right in fornt of them was an indictment of the whole organization at that time; as willl the non playing of Hack or Petty this season should that occur.  

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I have no problem at this point with Rex Ryan.....

I said it then and I will say it now no way should the Jets have started Sanchez if they thought that the team was a “win” now Group.  

It was simple math to me; no player with as little experience as Sanchez had has ever won a Conference Championship let alone a NFL Title!!!

That is ever; NEVER!!!

I said after Sanchez’ second year that he needed more talent around him not less based upon his play on the field, that he probably wasn’t going to get to much better under the Jets stellar training methods, red light, green light, one, two, three... and so on that they should TRADE him if they weren’t going to do the former.  

The fact that the Jets and yes Rex Ryan couldn’t see what was right in fornt of them was an indictment of the whole organization at that time; as willl the non playing of Hack or Petty this season should that occur.  

who was the experienced QB you wanted in 2009 and 2010? and Mark in playoff games helped us beat much more experienced QBs that most had better teams around them- Carson palmer, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tebow was brought in to run the wildcat, the oc sparano at the time didn't even properly institute that package so it made the player useless.

On top of it the boys (Tanny-REx) had promised tebow he would be the back up QB and thus he had to be the one as the backup and he was not an NFL QB.

People love to heap scorn on tebow himself but the team made the errors.

The Tebow trade was such a disaster on so many levels:

—Stopped us from drafting Russel Wilson in 2012 who both Rex and Terry Broadway wanted

— made a mockery of our season

—turned this team into a circus

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't even know who you are so I apologize for not caring about your respect.

Favre didn't start the year 11-3, the New York jets started the year 8-3 mostly in spite of his erratic play.  against a creampuff sched w/ no Tom Brady we struggled most of that year even during the 8-3 run.  He had a good stretch of 3-4 games in November along w/ the Cardinal game.  other than that he was awful all year both pre and post the supposed injury.

Late in his career he struggled in cold weather, do you remember the 2007 NFC Championship Game that he threw away to the Giants? earlier in his career he was really good in the cold but it affected him more late. Let's look at cold weather games from 2005-2009(we'll say under 40 degrees):

2005:

vs. Min: 20-33, 227 yds, 2 TDs, 2 INts lost 20-17(threw pick 6)

at Chi: 31-58, 277, 0, 2. lost 19-7(threw pick 6)

vs. Det: 21-31, 170, 0, 1 won 16-13

at Bal: 14-29, 144, 0, 2, lost 48-3

vs. Chi: 30-51, 317, 0, 4, lost 24-17(led O to 10 pts, threw pick 6)

vs. Sea: 21-37, 259, 1, 1 won 23-17(seattle was resting players for playoffs)

2006:

at Sea: 22-36, 266,1,3, lost 34-24(led O to 17)

vs. NYJ: 24-47, 214, 1, 2, lost 38-10

vs. Min: 26-50, 285, 0, 2 won 9-7(threw pick 6)

2007:

vs. Oak: 15-23, 266, 2, 1 won 38-7(led O to 24 pts)

at Chi: 17-32, 153, 0,2 lost 35-7(threw pick 6)

vs. Det: 9-11, 99, 2, 0 won 34-13(rested 2nd half)

playoffs:

vs. Sea: 18-23, 173, 3, 0 won 42-20

vs. NYG: 19-35, 236, 2,2 lost 23-20(threw INt to set up GW FG for Giants)

2008 w/ Jets:

vs. den: 23-43, 247, 0, 1 lost 34-17

at Sea: 18-31, 187, 0, 2

2009 w/ Vikings: none

from 2005-2008 essentially he played 16 games below 40 degrees(what would be a full NFL season's worth):

328-570, 3520 yds, 14 TDs, 27 INTs, 6 pick 6's, led Os to 15.8 PPG, rating was 64.2

tell me again how great he was in the cold at that stage of his career?

maybe you should play CB for the jets because your back peddle ability is amazing!!!!  Now you are saying he played well earlier in his career but this year, with a torn bicep in his throwing arm he didnt.  A guy that played how many years at a HoF level in GB, entire years cold and freezing in GB but you are cherry picking one of the last years he played injured...

So who i am, i am just a fan that watches the games and roots for the jets.  I remember that season well, was a fun ride but i remember thinking there was no way Favre, the iron man, makes it through the year.  He shouldnt have, he should have shut it down with a torn bicep but i suspect he played on pain pills or shots and toughed it out like he always did.  He was a gamer and left it all on the field.  I respect what he put on the line for our team.  was he a gun slinger? yes. Did he take chances? absolutely.  in the end, it worked for him and his team and nothing that you can cherrypick about his stats kept him out of the HoF.

No need for apology, in the end we all just post our comments on the interwebs all the same.  I usually just gloss right over your posts since they mostly boil down to Sanchez being great, nevermind how many opportunities he was given after the jets dumped his arse.

5 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

maybe you should play CB for the jets because your back peddle ability is amazing!!!!  Now you are saying he played well earlier in his career but this year, with a torn bicep in his throwing arm he didnt.  A guy that played how many years at a HoF level in GB, entire years cold and freezing in GB but you are cherry picking one of the last years he played injured...

So who i am, i am just a fan that watches the games and roots for the jets.  I remember that season well, was a fun ride but i remember thinking there was no way Favre, the iron man, makes it through the year.  He shouldnt have, he should have shut it down with a torn bicep but i suspect he played on pain pills or shots and toughed it out like he always did.  He was a gamer and left it all on the field.  I respect what he put on the line for our team.  was he a gun slinger? yes. Did he take chances? absolutely.  in the end, it worked for him and his team and nothing that you can cherrypick about his stats kept him out of the HoF.

No need for apology, in the end we all just post our comments on the interwebs all the same.  I usually just gloss right over your posts since they mostly boil down to Sanchez being great, nevermind how many opportunities he was given after the jets dumped his arse.

please show me where I said he sucked in the cold his entire career?

he took unnecessary chances all year long, sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't.  Later in the season they rarely worked. The bottom line for me w/ Favre is he never wanted to be here and it showed in his play. 

you seem to struggle to understand what I post.  I have NEVER, EVER called Mark Sanchez great and I have never said he was going to be great BUT what he was for us was a QB we could win w/ as long as we had the right talent around him.  early on we did, after that we didn't.  Most QBs need talent around them to win so please keep glossing over my posts b/c it's obvious you don't understand what I am writing anyway.

as far as opportunities after we let him go- he had ONE opportunity and played really well in philly in 2014. 

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Until he talks about why he didn't give Tebow a shot to start this means nothing.

Mark was that bad.

tebow had Decker & Thomas in Denver when he was putting up 10 pts a game most weeks to win games.  what do you think he would have done w/ Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland and company?

7 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

In 2008, when the Jets began 8-3 during that stretch Farve put on an incredible 6 game run, highlighted by a 6 TD performance against the cardinals.  If Farve didn't get hurt we win the AFC.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

who cares? he was good for us.  keep celebrating Favre who sabotaged our season though.

Good, of course, if good is defined only in the mind of a fanboi who dismisses objective evidence that he doesn't like as "lacking in context."

15 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Who the $%^ trades up to #5 overall for a guy who isn't expected to be a franchise QB?  Either Rex is lying through his teeth or he's incompetent.  Either way, the only HC gig he's getting again is in the college ranks.

He didn't say he didn't expect Sanchez to be a franchise QB.  He's saying that, at some point, he realized that Sanchez wasn't going to be a franchise QB.  Who knows when that was?

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In 2008, when the Jets began 8-3 during that stretch Farve put on an incredible 6 game run, highlighted by a 6 TD performance against the cardinals.  If Farve didn't get hurt we win the AFC.

show me this incredible 6 game run?

did Favre play 16 games? he doesn't get the injury excuse.  he played late the same way he did most of the year outside of 3-4 games.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Good, of course, if good is defined only in the mind of a fanboi who dismisses objective evidence that he doesn't like as "lacking in context."

good is defined by WINNING, he helped us WIN. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

show me this incredible 6 game run?

did Favre play 16 games? he doesn't get the injury excuse.  he played late the same way he did most of the year outside of 3-4 games.

good is defined by WINNING, he helped us WIN. 

In your world Sanchez is a better QB than Farve and Namath. LOL

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

As such, Rex Grossman is good.  Better, really.

Rex Grossman was a starter for 2 winning playoff games in an extremely weak NFC where the 2 seed was 10-6 and had a bye and both games were at home.  slightly different situation than what Sanchez had to deal w/ in the AFC and in  particular the AFC east w/ the greatest QB of all time leading the greatest dynasty pro football has ever seen.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

please show me where I said he sucked in the cold his entire career?

he took unnecessary chances all year long, sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't.  Later in the season they rarely worked. The bottom line for me w/ Favre is he never wanted to be here and it showed in his play. 

you seem to struggle to understand what I post.  I have NEVER, EVER called Mark Sanchez great and I have never said he was going to be great BUT what he was for us was a QB we could win w/ as long as we had the right talent around him.  early on we did, after that we didn't.  Most QBs need talent around them to win so please keep glossing over my posts b/c it's obvious you don't understand what I am writing anyway.

as far as opportunities after we let him go- he had ONE opportunity and played really well in philly in 2014. 

really???? I guess he didnt get traded after doing "really well" in philly to the defending SB champs and got beaten out by the immortal trevor semien????

you are not fooling me with the never ever called sanchez great.  you are the #1 sanchez ball washer on this site, hands down.  you wanted to erect a statue of him outside the stadium as a thank you for 2 AFC Championship game appearances with the #1 defense and #1 run game along with a great O Line.  

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

In your world Sanchez is a better QB than Farve and Namath. LOL

yep, b/c that is what I always say!

Favre and Namath are 2 of the most overrated QBs i9n pro football history but they have nothing to do w/ Sanchez.  I have never once said Sanchez was as good as any of them but Sanchez was better for the Jets in 2009/2010 than Favre was for us in 2008 and I wish Sanchez had a bye to host the title game in 2009 or 2010 that he didn't earn like Joe did in 1968- maybe he'd have a SB too/

Just now, nyjunc said:

Rex Grossman was a starter for 2 winning playoff games in an extremely weak NFC where the 2 seed was 10-6 and had a bye and both games were at home.  slightly different situation than what Sanchez had to deal w/ in the AFC and in  particular the AFC east w/ the greatest QB of all time leading the greatest dynasty pro football has ever seen.

So what?  All that matters is winning, in all caps.

That said, I do appreciate your efforts to prove my point about you ignoring certain objective realities but not others so quickly.

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

really???? I guess he didnt get traded after doing "really well" in philly to the defending SB champs and got beaten out by the immortal trevor semien????

you are not fooling me with the never ever called sanchez great.  you are the #1 sanchez ball washer on this site, hands down.  you wanted to erect a statue of him outside the stadium as a thank you for 2 AFC Championship game appearances with the #1 defense and #1 run game along with a great O Line.  

Elway brought him in as insurance in case the young guys weren't ready, Siemien proved to be ready last year.

show me one post where I called him a great player? I may have said he had a great game at some point but never have I called him a great QB. until you can prove that you may just want to pipe down and stop embarrassing yourself.

didn't the great Favre have similar talent in 2008 except against a weaker sched w/o Brady around? how did that work out?

Archived