Rex Ryan opens up on Mark Sanchez & Geno Smith, discusses Jets current QBs (hold on to your butts JN, here comes a 100-pager)

Mogglez

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

So what?  All that matters is winning, in all caps.

That said, I do appreciate your efforts to prove my point about you ignoring certain objective realities but not others so quickly.

he had 2 playoff wins both at home, Mark had 4 all on the road and those4 are a franchise record.  Thanks for playing.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

yep, b/c that is what I always say!

Favre and Namath are 2 of the most overrated QBs i9n pro football history but they have nothing to do w/ Sanchez.  I have never once said Sanchez was as good as any of them but Sanchez was better for the Jets in 2009/2010 than Favre was for us in 2008 and I wish Sanchez had a bye to host the title game in 2009 or 2010 that he didn't earn like Joe did in 1968- maybe he'd have a SB too/

If you really think Sanchez is better than Namath and Farve, there is no point in talking to you on this topic. 

Just now, nyjunc said:

he had 2 playoff wins both at home, Mark had 4 all on the road and those4 are a franchise record.  Thanks for playing.

So a QB winning a road wildcard round (which means they didn't win enough to get a home game or a bye) is the same as winning a championship game at home?

So a QB winning a road wildcard round (which means they didn't win enough to get a home game or a bye) is the same as winning a championship game at home?

again, the Bears division sucked, the NFC sucked.  If the 2009 or 2010 Jets played in the NFC in 2006 we'd have been hosting a title game.

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In 2008, when the Jets began 8-3 during that stretch Farve put on an incredible 6 game run, highlighted by a 6 TD performance against the cardinals.  If Farve didn't get hurt we win the AFC.

Please dont let facts get in the way that favre didnt want to play football here... clearly he did all he could to sabotage our beloved team.... we went 8-3 despite his best efforts to be disinterested.

Just now, nyjunc said:

again, the Bears division sucked, the NFC sucked.  If the 2009 or 2010 Jets played in the NFC in 2006 we'd have been hosting a title game.

so, really, what matters, as stated, is winning in all caps and the context you decide is relevant to support the opinion you like.

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

Please dont let facts get in the way that favre didnt want to play football here... clearly he did all he could to sabotage our beloved team.... we went 8-3 despite his best efforts to be disinterested.

Objective measures, both advanced and standard, and the fact that no team wants him when age-wise, he's in his prime, aren't relevant... But, the opinion of a players mindset from a guy on the internet is really what matters.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Elway brought him in as insurance in case the young guys weren't ready, Siemien proved to be ready last year.

show me one post where I called him a great player? I may have said he had a great game at some point but never have I called him a great QB. until you can prove that you may just want to pipe down and stop embarrassing yourself.

didn't the great Favre have similar talent in 2008 except against a weaker sched w/o Brady around? how did that work out?

ahahahahaha, im embarrassing myself!!!!! this is just hysterical!!!! thanks for the laugh :)

maybe you just became a jets fan when we drafted sanchez because you have no clue what our season was like when we had favre.  no clue about the MNF game against Tenn.  take your ass to wheel of fortune and buy your self a clue.

image.png

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The shrug of the shoulders going on in this thread over such a statement is frustrating.  If he knew this, he needed to be pounding the table for a new QB.  By admitting this, if he truly knew Sanchez wasn't good, then his whole tenure was even worse than we thought, if that were possible.

It would be more forgivable if he was "duped" into thinking that Sanchez might one day be good.  They invested a lot in Sanchez, and while honoring a sunken cost is a lousy way to try to run a franchise, it's pretty much human nature and hard to avoid.  But that's not what he was saying happened in this article. 

We wasted some very talented teams, carried over from the Mangini era, over the decisions at the QB position.  This should piss people off. 

It's nonsense. Whatever he now claims he kinda-sorta knew in 2009, he would have known for certain 10 times over at the time they gave him an extension in 2012. As though Tannenbaum/Woody would have still pushed to give Sanchez 2 more guaranteed years as the starter over Rex's strong objections.  This isn't like the "Well, I wouldn't have drafted him, but we'll see" type comment he made right after we traded up for Stephen Hill. This was a player he/they knew well for the first few years of his career.

It's crap.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

why must you make things up?

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yep, b/c that is what I always say!

Favre and Namath are 2 of the most overrated QBs i9n pro football history but they have nothing to do w/ Sanchez.  I have never once said Sanchez was as good as any of them but Sanchez was better for the Jets in 2009/2010 than Favre was for us in 2008 and I wish Sanchez had a bye to host the title game in 2009 or 2010 that he didn't earn like Joe did in 1968- maybe he'd have a SB too/

he didnt make anything up, you are making excuses for the success for other qbs while making excuses for sanchez not being a good qb who had limited success!!! calling namath and favre overrated while wishing sanchez could hold either of their jock straps.

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Elway brought him in as insurance in case the young guys weren't ready, Siemien proved to be ready last year.

show me one post where I called him a great player? I may have said he had a great game at some point but never have I called him a great QB. until you can prove that you may just want to pipe down and stop embarrassing yourself.

didn't the great Favre have similar talent in 2008 except against a weaker sched w/o Brady around? how did that work out?

dude, you need to stop... brought in as a back up??? nice trying to rewrite history although I am not surprised.

By SI Wire 
August 22, 2016

Denver Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez is worried that he missed out on a chance to secure a position as the team’s starting quarterback, he said after Saturday’s 31–24 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

After starting the game by completing nine of 10 passes, Sanchez completed just one of his next eight. The veteran also fumbled the ball twice, including once in the red zone.

See Recipe for Loaded Sweet Potato Fries

“I squandered a great opportunity to separate myself, and put the team in a bad situation,” Sanchez said, according to ESPN. “No excuse for that. Poor, poor quarterback play.

“I can’t put pressure on the O-line like that. I know I’m in a tough spot right there, and coach wants to see what I do. There’s no excuse for that. You can’t do that. ... Poor play. I just let one go tonight. That’s really too bad.”

Dolphins center Mike Pouncey (hip injury) could miss season opener

Trevor Siemian, who is battling with Sanchez for the job, completed 10 of 14 passes for 75 yards, but had an interception returned for a touchdown by 49ers safety Eric Reid. 

Coach Gary Kubiak has previously said that he wants to name the starter before the team’s next game against the Los Angeles Rams.

Rookie Paxton Lynch is also competing for the starting spot.

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

heading into week 2 when Favre clearly wasn't comfortable in our O yet instead of diving into his playbook he was on the phone giving Lions players tips on how to beat the Packers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2008/10/22/favre-admits-to-strategy-session-with-millen/

clearly the sign of a guy that wanted to be here. or how about that pregame pep talk in the season finale?

You do know he had a deal w/ us that he would play here for a year and we'd let him go so he could go to Minny and stick it to GB, right?

and we were 8-3 largely in spit of him.

game 1: we needed a hail mary to win the game then the D closed it out w/ an INT after Favre gave Miami another chance.

game 2: helping Lions beat packers, loses to Cassell in his first start since HS

game 3: Great Numbers! 3 TDs, 90+ rating, we scored 29 pts.  it must have been the D's fault? well after we scored on a pick 6 to give him 7-0 lead he did nothing and eventually gave SD a pick 6 in return.  of the 22 points he "led" the O to 15 came in garbge time and another TD the drive started at the SD 2.

game 4: he actually was great against Arizona.

game 5: against awful Cincy team gives them fumble TD to start game and we struggled t put away terrible Bengal team until late in the game. by the way, this is when reports started coming out about a potential arm injury.

game 6: at Oakland, outplayed by Jamarcus Russell.  In 5 qtrs. of play against an inept team he led our O to 13 pts in the loss to the eventual 5-11 Raiders. By the way, only one other game did Oak allow less than 13 in a game that year and that was against 2-14 chiefs.

game 7: speaking of the Chiefs.  against worst team in the league we needed a late TD drive to win after he threw a pick 6 to give KC the lead in the 4th. KC was 2-14 that year.

game 8: this is when his good stretch of football starter. he played well at Buffalo who was playing well at the time though he benefitted from a Jets D score and later gave Buf a pick 6 to make up for it and make game closer than it should have been.

game 9: didn't do much but didn't have to in rout of Rams.

game 10: played well against Cassell led Pats. took big lead in 1st half thatnks to another non offensive TD, he stunk in the 2nd half BUT made a huge play on a 3rd down in OT to set up GW FG so good job this game.

Game 11: at then undefeated Ten played very well as we dominated the Titans. Leon and Jones did have almost 200 yds rushing though.

Game 12: awful against Den, this is where our season turned

game 13: even worse at SF, outplayed by Shaun Hill

Game 14: we win! we beat the Bills but we need to score a late defensive TD in order to do it.

Game 15: outplayed by Seneca Wallace, leads us to 3 pts against bad seattle team in loss

Game 16: just awful again in loss to Miami as we watch Chad Pennington clinch div title on our field w/ a team that was 1-15 a year earlier.

but yeah Brett was great, so exciting to watch!

12 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

ahahahahaha, im embarrassing myself!!!!! this is just hysterical!!!! thanks for the laugh :)

maybe you just became a jets fan when we drafted sanchez because you have no clue what our season was like when we had favre.  no clue about the MNF game against Tenn.  take your ass to wheel of fortune and buy your self a clue.

image.png

I beg you to find a post from me where I say mark Sanchez is a great QB or will be a great QB. 

6 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

he didnt make anything up, you are making excuses for the success for other qbs while making excuses for sanchez not being a good qb who had limited success!!! calling namath and favre overrated while wishing sanchez could hold either of their jock straps.

dude, you need to stop... brought in as a back up??? nice trying to rewrite history although I am not surprised.

By SI Wire 
August 22, 2016

Denver Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez is worried that he missed out on a chance to secure a position as the team’s starting quarterback, he said after Saturday’s 31–24 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

After starting the game by completing nine of 10 passes, Sanchez completed just one of his next eight. The veteran also fumbled the ball twice, including once in the red zone.

See Recipe for Loaded Sweet Potato Fries

“I squandered a great opportunity to separate myself, and put the team in a bad situation,” Sanchez said, according to ESPN. “No excuse for that. Poor, poor quarterback play.

“I can’t put pressure on the O-line like that. I know I’m in a tough spot right there, and coach wants to see what I do. There’s no excuse for that. You can’t do that. ... Poor play. I just let one go tonight. That’s really too bad.”

Dolphins center Mike Pouncey (hip injury) could miss season opener

Trevor Siemian, who is battling with Sanchez for the job, completed 10 of 14 passes for 75 yards, but had an interception returned for a touchdown by 49ers safety Eric Reid. 

Coach Gary Kubiak has previously said that he wants to name the starter before the team’s next game against the Los Angeles Rams.

Rookie Paxton Lynch is also competing for the starting spot.

If he didn't make anything up it should be easy to find where I said mark sanchez is a better QB than Brett favre and Joe Namath.  I can't help it if you guys struggle to read but I have never made that statement and never called Mark great.

Den just wanted to make sure the young guys were ready, Siemien played really to start last season. they wanted to develop a young guy not a retread.  unless mark was spectacualrt and the youngs pathetic he wasn't winning that job.  I bet by the end of that season Elway wished he had kept him though.

23 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Objective measures, both advanced and standard, and the fact that no team wants him when age-wise, he's in his prime, aren't relevant... But, the opinion of a players mindset from a guy on the internet is really what matters.

I can't help it that I know more than you.  Favre ONLY came here b/c it would get him to Minnesota eventually.  do you think w/ a brand new HC he wanted to release a future HOFer and start a raw rookie? Fvare got here a month before the season w/ a new playbook for the first time since 1992 yet he was busy helping the Lions try to beat the packers heading into week 2.  He wanted to stick it to GB, it's common knowledge. we had an agreement w/ him for one year, Tannenbaum hoped he'd like it here and want to stay another year but he wanted out.  why jet fans love this guy is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

If he didn't make anything up it should be easy to find where I said mark sanchez is a better QB than Brett favre and Joe Namath.  I can't help it if you guys struggle to read but I have never made that statement and never called Mark great.

Den just wanted to make sure the young guys were ready, Siemien played really to start last season. they wanted to develop a young guy not a retread.  unless mark was spectacualrt and the youngs pathetic he wasn't winning that job.  I bet by the end of that season Elway wished he had kept him though.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

of course elway wanted to hand the team over to a 2nd year qb and not a veteran like your hero mark.  like all defending super bowl champs do...

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I can't help it that I know more than you.  Favre ONLY came here b/c it would get him to Minnesota eventually.  do you think w/ a brand new HC he wanted to release a future HOFer and start a raw rookie? Fvare got here a month before the season w/ a new playbook for the first time since 1992 yet he was busy helping the Lions try to beat the packers heading into week 2.  He wanted to stick it to GB, it's common knowledge. we had an agreement w/ him for one year, Tannenbaum hoped he'd like it here and want to stay another year but he wanted out.  why jet fans love this guy is beyond me.

you have gone from back peddling, to rewriting history, to now deflecting.

wtf does this have to do with anything????

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

of course elway wanted to hand the team over to a 2nd year qb and not a veteran like your hero mark.  like all defending super bowl champs do...

they were trying to develop a young QB, they wanted one of their young QBs to play.  they weren't the same team as 2015, they lost a lot.  he could have acquired a number of vets if it was the same team and they were a QB away.

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

you have gone from back peddling, to rewriting history, to now deflecting.

wtf does this have to do with anything????

it has to do w/ reality but keep living in fantasy land. Brett loved it here so much that he wanted to leave a talented young team for no reason. you got this all figured out.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they were trying to develop a young QB, they wanted one of their young QBs to play.  they weren't the same team as 2015, they lost a lot.  he could have acquired a number of vets if it was the same team and they were a QB away.

it has to do w/ reality but keep living in fantasy land. Brett loved it here so much that he wanted to leave a talented young team for no reason. you got this all figured out.

you posting about reality is the highest of high comedy!!!  the word "reality" itself has no place in any of your posts. keep up with the "ifs" or "wish" or "could have" or "would have"  hahahaha

i guess you are really butt hurt about favre not choosing to come here.

noooooooo fuuuuuuucking way a defending super bowl champion returns and gives the keys to the car to a 2nd year qb unless the vet they brought in turns out to be total dog sh*t.  that is the reality of that situation.  not letting the young guys play to develop, especially at QB.  and to boot, trevor is not a good qb and your hero couldnt beat him out.  

21 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

you posting about reality is the highest of high comedy!!!  the word "reality" itself has no place in any of your posts. keep up with the "ifs" or "wish" or "could have" or "would have"  hahahaha

i guess you are really butt hurt about favre not choosing to come here.

noooooooo fuuuuuuucking way a defending super bowl champion returns and gives the keys to the car to a 2nd year qb unless the vet they brought in turns out to be total dog sh*t.  that is the reality of that situation.  not letting the young guys play to develop, especially at QB.  and to boot, trevor is not a good qb and your hero couldnt beat him out.  

so if Elway didn't want any of the young QBs to take over why didn't he acquire a better vet than Sanchez?

you have no idea what reality is but I'm glad you loved the Favre year. what was there to dislike?  all the great INTs, being outplayed by the likes of Jamarcus Russell and Shaun Hill, missing the playoffs w/ one of the easiest scheds in team history with Tom Brady out for the year and then getting to watch the QB we cut for Favre take over a 1-15 team and lead them to division title which they clinched on our field.  So many great memories, winning 4 playoff games(most in team history) and having 2 cracks at the SB w/ Sanchez sucked compared to that.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so if Elway didn't want any of the young QBs to take over why didn't he acquire a better vet than Sanchez?

you have no idea what reality is but I'm glad you loved the Favre year. what was there to dislike?  all the great INTs, being outplayed by the likes of Jamarcus Russell and Shaun Hill, missing the playoffs w/ one of the easiest scheds in team history with Tom Brady out for the year and then getting to watch the QB we cut for Favre take over a 1-15 team and lead them to division title which they clinched on our field.  So many great memories, winning 4 playoff games(most in team history) and having 2 cracks at the SB w/ Sanchez sucked compared to that.

he must have been reading your posts full of ifs and wishes that mark get a better team around him? hahahahahaha

if (<----see what i did there??) all he needed was a super bowl team around him, what better place than the defending SB champs? he got his opportunity(more than 1) and he sh*t the bed.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

No, everyone knows Favre didn't really want to be a Jet.  Only you care.  You claimed he sabotaged the season.  That's something you made up.  But no one expects anything different, it's literally exactly what you do, make something up, claim it's correct, ignore facts to the contrary, pat yourself on the back for being right, and repeat.

7 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

he must have been reading your posts full of ifs and wishes that mark get a better team around him? hahahahahaha

if (<----see what i did there??) all he needed was a super bowl team around him, what better place than the defending SB champs? he got his opportunity(more than 1) and he sh*t the bed.

The real absurdity is that he's making this about Elway and the Broncos, ignoring the fact that Mark Sanchez, a QB who should be in his prime, is not given any chance to start by any team in the league, and the best deal he can get is going to be a 3rd string QB in Denver.  Once again, the league has spoken.

The real absurdity is that he's making this about Elway and the Broncos, ignoring the fact that Mark Sanchez, a QB who should be in his prime, is not given any chance to start by any team in the league, and the best deal he can get is going to be a 3rd string QB in Denver.  Once again, the league has spoken.

I think he had more than a fair shake to be the starting QB in Denver.  He ****ed it up.

on the bright side of this whole circle jerk discussion, I have decided to wear my Favre Jets Jersey to the Jets/Tampa game as a big F U JUNC!!! lol

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

heading into week 2 when Favre clearly wasn't comfortable in our O yet instead of diving into his playbook he was on the phone giving Lions players tips on how to beat the Packers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2008/10/22/favre-admits-to-strategy-session-with-millen/

clearly the sign of a guy that wanted to be here. or how about that pregame pep talk in the season finale?

You do know he had a deal w/ us that he would play here for a year and we'd let him go so he could go to Minny and stick it to GB, right?

and we were 8-3 largely in spit of him.

game 1: we needed a hail mary to win the game then the D closed it out w/ an INT after Favre gave Miami another chance.

game 2: helping Lions beat packers, loses to Cassell in his first start since HS

game 3: Great Numbers! 3 TDs, 90+ rating, we scored 29 pts.  it must have been the D's fault? well after we scored on a pick 6 to give him 7-0 lead he did nothing and eventually gave SD a pick 6 in return.  of the 22 points he "led" the O to 15 came in garbge time and another TD the drive started at the SD 2.

game 4: he actually was great against Arizona.

game 5: against awful Cincy team gives them fumble TD to start game and we struggled t put away terrible Bengal team until late in the game. by the way, this is when reports started coming out about a potential arm injury.

game 6: at Oakland, outplayed by Jamarcus Russell.  In 5 qtrs. of play against an inept team he led our O to 13 pts in the loss to the eventual 5-11 Raiders. By the way, only one other game did Oak allow less than 13 in a game that year and that was against 2-14 chiefs.

game 7: speaking of the Chiefs.  against worst team in the league we needed a late TD drive to win after he threw a pick 6 to give KC the lead in the 4th. KC was 2-14 that year.

game 8: this is when his good stretch of football starter. he played well at Buffalo who was playing well at the time though he benefitted from a Jets D score and later gave Buf a pick 6 to make up for it and make game closer than it should have been.

game 9: didn't do much but didn't have to in rout of Rams.

game 10: played well against Cassell led Pats. took big lead in 1st half thatnks to another non offensive TD, he stunk in the 2nd half BUT made a huge play on a 3rd down in OT to set up GW FG so good job this game.

Game 11: at then undefeated Ten played very well as we dominated the Titans. Leon and Jones did have almost 200 yds rushing though.

Game 12: awful against Den, this is where our season turned

game 13: even worse at SF, outplayed by Shaun Hill

Game 14: we win! we beat the Bills but we need to score a late defensive TD in order to do it.

Game 15: outplayed by Seneca Wallace, leads us to 3 pts against bad seattle team in loss

Game 16: just awful again in loss to Miami as we watch Chad Pennington clinch div title on our field w/ a team that was 1-15 a year earlier.

but yeah Brett was great, so exciting to watch!

You are really grasping for any reason possible why you could try to paint every game as the worst there ever was, yet have an endless list of excuses of why it wasn't Sanchez's fault even when he was at his absolute worst.

If you used the same exact type of analysis as this in review of Sanchez's career, it would sound like he was a blind quadriplegic.

The 2008 Jets went 8-8 with the 9th ranked scoring offense, and 18th scoring defense.  2009 Jets went 9-7 (with a gift from the Colts) with the 17th ranked scoring offense, and 1st scoring defense.  But you keep telling yourself that QB was the difference-maker in those seasons.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

You are really grasping for any reason possible why you could try to paint every game as the worst there ever was, yet have an endless list of excuses of why it wasn't Sanchez's fault even when he was at his absolute worst.

If you used the same exact type of analysis as this in review of Sanchez's career, it would sound like he was a blind quadriplegic.

The 2008 Jets went 8-8 with the 9th ranked scoring offense, and 18th scoring defense.  2009 Jets went 9-7 (with a gift from the Colts) with the 17th ranked scoring offense, and 1st scoring defense.  But you keep telling yourself that QB was the difference-maker in those seasons.

ohhhh but he is not(but he is) hahahaha

you are obviously are like me and cannot read...

On 10/25/2017 at 2:46 PM, Mogglez said:
  • Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- On Oct. 7, 2013, the New York Jets took the Monday night stage with a rookie quarterback and stunned the heavily-favored Atlanta Falcons on the road. Geno Smith was terrific, capping the night with a flawless two-minute drive for the game-winning field goal. For a change, the Jets had hope at quarterback -- or so it seemed.

"He wanted to show people, 'You know what? I can do this,'" former coach Rex Ryan said Tuesday by phone. "It was real simple what they were doing defensively, and the kid just ate 'em up."

Smith completed 16 of 20 passes for 199 yards and three touchdowns in the 30-28 win, one of the highlights of his 30-start tenure. But it turned out to be false hope, as he never was able to sustain the flickers of promise he displayed as a rookie.

It's worth mentioning now because the two teams meet Sunday for the first time since the upset in Atlanta. The Falcons still have Matt Ryan, the reigning NFL MVP. The Jets? They're still in quarterback purgatory, looking for the player who can turn a magical night into a magical season -- multiple seasons, actually.

They went from Smith to Ryan Fitzpatrick to Josh McCown, with a Bryce Petty cameo mixed in. McCown has exceeded expectations (Sunday's last-minute interception notwithstanding), but he's a 38-year-old journeyman. It's a repeat of the Fitzpatrick story, the 2015 version. They've done the Band-Aid thing long enough, and next spring it'll be time to bring in a golden boy and hope he becomes what Smith and Mark Sanchez did not.

"I don't think there's any question they'll draft a quarterback," said Ryan, now an ESPN studio analyst. "My understanding is there will be five quarterbacks out there, and they'll get one of them."

It could be a talent-rich draft, led by USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen (if they declare). The Jets have a 48 percent chance of landing a top-five pick, according to ESPN analytics. If they're outside the top five, they may have to trade their way into the top prospects, but I agree with Ryan: They'll find a way, just like they did in 2009 with Sanchez.

"With Sanchez, I knew he wasn't going to be a franchise quarterback, but I thought he'd be good enough to win with," Ryan said. "The guys coming out in this year's class have a much higher rating than Mark had -- and Mark was OK."

Ryan won four playoff games with Sanchez, but he was looking to replace him by 2013. He said the Jets called the Baltimore Ravens and tried to trade for backup Tyrod Taylor, but that went nowhere. He wound up getting Taylor in 2015 as the coach of the Buffalo Bills.

"With Sanchez, we just couldn't have it anymore," Ryan said. "The boneheaded interceptions, especially in the red zone, it was mind boggling. Unfortunately, Mark never really got better. I think that was the disappointing thing to me."

So the Jets drafted Smith in 2013. After one year, Ryan thought he had a promising quarterback but one who needed a stronger supporting cast to realize his potential. He believes the general manager, John Idzik, failed to add the necessary talent.

"I don't think we helped Geno by any stretch of the imagination," Ryan said. "We never added anything that could help him. And he didn't help himself, either. It was that combination."

It shouldn't surprise anyone the Jets' quarterbacks have thrown a league-high 85 interceptions since 2013. Over the same span, they're 31st in passer rating (76.5), ahead of only the Factory of Sadness, the Cleveland Browns.

Now the Jets have McCown, who makes his eighth start Sunday -- only the fifth time in 15 years he'll have that many starts in a season.

"McCown is good for them now because he's a placeholder," Ryan said. "That's what he is -- a placeholder, and he knows it as well as anybody. He knows he's not the long-range answer. None of those guys are, certainly not [Christian] Hackenberg."

Four years ago, the Jets thought maybe they had an answer. It was just another tease.

Rex, essentially:  I was lying then.  But I am telling the truth now.

Clearly it was Brett Favre, Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum, John Elway, and now, John Fox's fault that Mark Sanchez is 3rd string behind Mitch "4completions4me" Trubisky and Mike "Literally Brock Osweiler" Glennon.

Won't someone...anyone...think of the Sanchize?

On 10/25/2017 at 2:55 PM, Mogglez said:

I mean, I don't know about you, but this quote has me screaming internally.

Screenshot_20171025-145400~2.png

Yet he was spot on here: 

With Sanchez, we just couldn't have it anymore," Ryan said. "The boneheaded interceptions, especially in the red zone, it was mind boggling. Unfortunately, Mark never really got better. I think that was the disappointing thing to me."

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He he went to a much better team and did very well. Farve had a outstanding 1st yr with the Vikings. We definitely at least make it to the Super Bowl in 09 had Farve played that well for jets. 

Archived