Back when the game was played by MEN

Gas2No99

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, peebag said:

Yep.  Played by men.  Men who can no longer remember their names, can't walk up stairs,...etc.

I’m sure they’ll get a lot of pity from the millions of working class folks about.

Poor NFL players, so sad, much boo hoo.

ah yes back when DL weighed the same as QBs today(and that was when they were all on steroids) and weren't nearly as fast, quick or athletic.  if those hits from the old days were legal today we'd see deaths on a weekly basis on the field.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

No they didn't. That's the entire point of the lawsuit.

That I don't buy for a second,. they absolutely knew they were putting their bodies on the line.  The lawsuits are a money grab, many of those same players will bash today's game for being soft.  they knew, they may not have had specific concussion info but they knew the game was destroying their bodies.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That I don't buy for a second,. they absolutely knew they were putting their bodies on the line.  The lawsuits are a money grab, many of those same players will bash today's game for being soft.  they knew, they may not have had specific concussion info but they knew the game was destroying their bodies.

There are very few posters I truly loathe.   You are one of them.  They knew the game was hard on the body. But they had no idea their BRAINS were being slowly destroyed.  You know how I know that? Because we didn't either.  Very few, if any, knew.  And if someone did, they certainly didn't say anything.

You are somewhere between a troll and a cretin.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

There are very few posters I truly loathe.   You are one of them.  They knew the game was hard on the body. But they had no idea their BRAINS were being slowly destroyed.  You know how I know that? Because we didn't either.  Very few, if any, knew.  And if someone did, they certainly didn't say anything.

You are somewhere between a troll and a cretin.

another poster who I have no idea who they are but if these guys didn't think something was happening to their heads then they were idiots or liars.  They may not have known the exact extent but they knew it wasn't good for them sort of like smokers before the warnings.  it's nothing more than a money grab from players who screwed up the money they made(which obviously wasn't as good as players of this generation).  I'm talking 70s/80s/90s players not 30s/40s/50s.  If you want to believe them that is up to you, these are the same guys that call the game soft, that a few years ago had a "he got jacked up" segment on espn highlighting big concussion hits so stop it.  to think you are constantly hitting your head and nothing will happen is as naïve as it gets.

Thank you for being a fan though

12 minutes ago, thshadow said:

They should bring back gladiator fights too.  $200k to the winner, $100k to the loser's family.

Because nothing can possibly be wrong as long as they know what they're getting into.  (Not that football players knew.)  

that's a pretty good analogy:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

another poster who I have no idea who they are but if these guys didn't think something was happening to their heads then they were idiots or liars.  They may not have known the exact extent but they knew it wasn't good for them sort of like smokers before the warnings.  it's nothing more than a money grab from players who screwed up the money they made(which obviously wasn't as good as players of this generation).  I'm talking 70s/80s/90s players not 30s/40s/50s.  If you want to believe them that is up to you, these are the same guys that call the game soft, that a few years ago had a "he got jacked up" segment on espn highlighting big concussion hits so stop it.  to think you are constantly hitting your head and nothing will happen is as naïve as it gets.

Thank you for being a fan though

Hopefully the game evolves enough that people like you stop watching.  Good riddance.  

55 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Back when the game was played by MEN (before those same MEN became a bunch of litigious pussies)

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Hopefully the game evolves enough that people like you stop watching.  Good riddance.  

you may want to read my responses, I said the game needs to evolve and change, I said players today are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and that LBs in those days are QB size today.  The game evolves and they are trying to make it safer but to pretend like players didn't know they were risking their bodies is absolutely ludicrous. 

24 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you may want to read my responses, I said the game needs to evolve and change, I said players today are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and that LBs in those days are QB size today.  The game evolves and they are trying to make it safer but to pretend like players didn't know they were risking their bodies is absolutely ludicrous. 

What is ludicrous is you not being able to distinguish between the body and mind.  They had little to no idea the risk playing football posed to their minds. Even neurologists didn't know, most of which are several times smarter than you.  Yet you keep referring to the obvious risk to their bodies. Conveniently ducking the topic of the brain, either to avoid contradicting your twisted viewpoint or because you are an imbecile.

Likely a little of both...

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

What is ludicrous is you not being able to distinguish between the body and mind.  They had little to no idea the risk playing football posed to their minds. Even neurologists didn't know.  Yet you keep referring to the obvious risk to their bodies. Conveniently ducking the topic of the brain, either to avoid contradicting your twisted viewpoint or because you are an imbecile.

Likely a little of both...

You sound like a smoker from the 70s who didn't realize ingesting smoke into their system could hurt them.  Please don't resort to childish namecalling just b/c someone disagrees w/ you.

58 minutes ago, thshadow said:

They should bring back gladiator fights too.  $200k to the winner, $100k to the loser's family.

Because nothing can possibly be wrong as long as they know what they're getting into.  (Not that football players knew.)  

Spot on analogy. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I’m sure they’ll get a lot of pity from the millions of working class folks about.

Poor NFL players, so sad, much boo hoo.

That the working class doesn’t support - **** the support that America’s workers hound these guys over every penny is a knock on the working class, not something to be proud of. Proles killing proles while the real enemy, if you will, laughs to the bank. This is every single day and forever. 

I haven't read this thread but I'm guessing people are disagreeing STRONGLY with one another. 

Rules are still

1. No personal attacks

2. No name calling 

3. No other stuff too 

If we can't follow the rules we can't have this discussion here. I find the subject interesting so I'm hoping we can. 

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

You are one sad, pathetic man. 

Because I don't weep over millionaire football players?

Yeah, sorry, I don't.  They know exactly what they're in for, and are exceptionally well compensated for it.

I'll save my lament for coal miners, fishermen, farmers and other folks who actually deserve it.

Archived