Back when the game was played by MEN

Gas2No99

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Warfish said:

Because I don't weep over millionaire football players?

Yeah, sorry, I don't.  They know exactly what they're in for, and are exceptionally well compensated for it.

I'll save my lament for coal miners, fishermen, farmers and other folks who actually deserve it.

The average football player back then made very little, was out of the league by age 27 and was uneducated.    I don't feel sorry for them but we as a society should expect some change in the game. 

Just now, southparkcpa said:

The average football player back then made very little, was out of the league by age 27 and was uneducated.    I don't feel sorry for them but we as a society should expect some change in the game. 

Change is fine, better more advanced protective equipment, better and more responsible management of players and injuries, larger rosters (doh, where is that?), more consistent and meaningful refereeing (throw out of teh game the blatant illegal hitters, stop calling tickytack, both getting 15 yards is a crime).

But don't turn the game into something new, and that is what the NFL is doing at current.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Change is fine, better more advanced protective equipment, better and more responsible management of players and injuries, larger rosters (doh, where is that?), more consistent and meaningful refereeing (throw out of teh game the blatant illegal hitters, stop calling tickytack, both getting 15 yards is a crime).

But don't turn the game into something new, and that is what the NFL is doing at current.

A business has to evolve with it's customers or it goes bankrupt.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, sorry, I don't.  They know exactly what they're in for, and are exceptionally well compensated for it.

I'll save my lament for coal miners, fishermen, farmers and other folks who actually deserve it.

Who is weeping over millionaires? This thread is about the "good ol' days" of the NFL and the players therein. Back around 1970 the average salary in the NFL was $25k (equivalent to about $150k today). Obviously still good money but is it enough to lose your mental capacity over and greatly increase the likelihood of suicide? Hardly. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

personally, i only like football players that don't get concussions..

26 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

A business has to evolve with it's customers or it goes bankrupt.

25 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Who is weeping over millionaires? This thread is about the "good ol' days" of the NFL and the players therein. Back around 1970 the average salary in the NFL was $25k (equivalent to about $150k today). Obviously still good money but is it enough to lose your mental capacity over and greatly increase the likelihood of suicide? Hardly. 

Agreed....    many young kids won't play the game.   We have football players committing suicide and many saying they wouldn't let their kids play.   We need change.  I bet 75 percent of today's players are basically broke by age 40.   So few make big money. 800K???  For 3 years after taxes and then you are 26, uneducated etc.   

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The only difference is they get paid more now. Very few of these guys are getting an 'education'. 

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I haven't read this thread but I'm guessing people are disagreeing STRONGLY with one another. 

Rules are still

1. No personal attacks

2. No name calling 

3. No other stuff too 

If we can't follow the rules we can't have this discussion here. I find the subject interesting so I'm hoping we can. 

You find the subject interesting but haven't read the thread?  

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I haven't read this thread but I'm guessing people are disagreeing STRONGLY with one another. 

Rules are still

1. No personal attacks

2. No name calling 

3. No other stuff too 

If we can't follow the rules we can't have this discussion here. I find the subject interesting so I'm hoping we can. 

Sorry Crusher, I’m not buying it. These JN posters knew what they signed up for.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

The data and risks have been known for those professions far longer than they’ve been known for football.

The argument ‘knew what they signed up for’ should apply similarly to those professions and trades.

The variable at play here, is cash.

Nobody is asking you to weep. You’re just going out of your way to be callous because NFL players make more money. Essentially painting yourself as bitter, envious, and insecure.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yeah? I’ll save my lament for the poopsmiths. Every day, poop in, poop out. My guys wish they were coal miners.

LOL!

THANK YOU ALL FOR participating and PRETTY MUCH letting this Thread go EXACTLY in the direction I expected it to. Love the default Catfights that start based on one comment that is open for interpretation and lets the REAL vitriol out. :P

Love it. So TYPICAL JN and the TYPICAL apathy, sympathy, snarkiness, & sarcasm from the Usual Suspects who APPRECIATE the EXCESSIVE use of CAPITAL letters. :lol:

the 1:08 mark was my inspiration :lol::

Thanks again Folks, Hope you enjoyed the videos! Especially the portion on #56 LT: The COCAINE Years.:D

Older Generation:  You kids are a punch of _____.  Can't even take a coach yelling at you for a couple of hours because of your stupid triggers.  The only triggers we had in my day were to kill commies!

Millenials:  I don't know how to respond to that.  Yeah, child abuse was rampant in your day, dad.  There are more studies showing....

(okay screw it, I identify with the older generation!)

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Rules are still

1. No personal attacks

2. No name calling 

3. No other stuff too 

I'm going to start the other stuff

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You sound like a smoker from the 70s who didn't realize ingesting smoke into their system could hurt them.  Please don't resort to childish namecalling just b/c someone disagrees w/ you.

You do realize that they used to tell you smoking was good  for you right? You do realize that they used to have celebrities and movie stars making commercials about cigarettes right? Fake doctors endorsing smoking(before you had to have a disclaimer). No you don't because you were not even a itch in your daddies pants yet. Stick to what you know because you know nothing of the era you speak about except for what some person told you. We lived it kid.

As for the sport of football back then it was brutal but they used to say injuries were part of the game. It was the chance you took to play the game. There were less teams and less players then. These guys were exploited by the owners and had to work actual jobs in the off-season. Not like todays coddled millionaires who probably wouldn't have even seen the field back then. The NFL is reaping what they have sown. Too many teams, falling ratings and revenue and parity abounds. Greed and free agency has ruined a once great game.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Maybe those people should have stood up for themselves and bettered their situation.  A real man would have.  Right?  They (coal miners, fishermen, etc) only have themselves to blame.  

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

you may want to read my responses, I said the game needs to evolve and change, I said players today are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and that LBs in those days are QB size today.  The game evolves and they are trying to make it safer but to pretend like players didn't know they were risking their bodies is absolutely ludicrous. 

I guess people didn't know chain smoking was bad or drinking and driving or surfing in shark filled waters was bad either.. :wacko:

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Coal miners, you say?  There was major legislation passed in 1969 regarding health concerns.  And minor legislation prior to that as far back as 1891.  I looked it up.

And you are saying NFL players knew what they were in for?  It is clear to virtually everyone they didn't, save for a stubborn few.

And coal miners didn't know?!?!? They had far more evidence than NFL players regarding health problems. By your standard, miners deserve less sympathy.

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Coal miners, you say?  There was major legislation passed in 1969 regarding health concerns.  And minor legislation prior to that as far back as 1891.  I looked it up.

And you are saying NFL players knew what they were in for???  It is clear to virtually everyone they didn't , save for a stubborn few.

And coal miners didn't know?!?!? They had far more evidence. By your standard, miners deserve less sympathy.

Football was almost banned in 1905 maybe they knew then that players could get hurt? During the 1905 season alone 18 college and amateurs died.. And despite the growing violence (or, who knows, maybe because of the growing violence), fans were flocking to the games -- the sport was gaining followers. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/05/29/teddy-roosevelt-hel

Garbage thread.

The world is a far more P.C. place these days, clearly. And you want to blame that on the 20 somethings who currently play football. No, sir.

The 20 somethings of today are not making the decisions, first of all. Those plays have been legislated out by Goodell and his people. How old is he, 60? His decision obviously based upon the findings made by experts in brain medicine who correlate vicious hits with brain damage. How old do you think those experts are?

Goodell is also motivated by the lawsuits being brought by the very people your refer to as MEN. Taking the violent hits out of football was not a decision made by the players. Moreover it is the result of the decisions of the “MEN” who are bringing suits.

I would agree that the players today are more aware of the consequences of the big hits. And they value their brain capacity.  Nowadays all you gotta do to see the effects of CTE is spend 30 seconds on a YouTube.You think those guys in the highlight video would have played like that with those videos at their finger tips?

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, JetFaninMI said:

You do realize that they used to tell you smoking was good  for you right? You do realize that they used to have celebrities and movie stars making commercials about cigarettes right? Fake doctors endorsing smoking(before you had to have a disclaimer). No you don't because you were not even a itch in your daddies pants yet. Stick to what you know because you know nothing of the era you speak about except for what some person told you. We lived it kid.

As for the sport of football back then it was brutal but they used to say injuries were part of the game. It was the chance you took to play the game. There were less teams and less players then. These guys were exploited by the owners and had to work actual jobs in the off-season. Not like todays coddled millionaires who probably wouldn't have even seen the field back then. The NFL is reaping what they have sown. Too many teams, falling ratings and revenue and parity abounds. Greed and free agency has ruined a once great game.

Maybe in the 1800s I could buy that but my parents smoked forever, they tried to use that excuse but they knew it was bad for them.  did they know they may get cancer? maybe not but no one thought ingesting smoke was good for them. if you lived it and thought smoking was good for you I think you probably had more problems than smoking.

as for football, it's been a long time since players needed offseason jobs and FA helped end that.  why should a player have to get a job in the offseason when they bring in the revenue they do?  Free agency was a great thing for the players and while it's not perfect for the game the players deserve it and every penny they make.  The game has to evolve as players evolve, again if players today played under 1960s rules they'd kill people on a weekly basis. 

another funny thing about this is in the 70s and 80s the majority of players(at least lineman) were using steroids and now they are going to complain they didn't know playing football could harm them?  it's all about making some extra money.  I do think the league should take care of old players medical issues so on some level they deserve it but they knew they were putting their bodies on the line playing the game as well as using steroids.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Maybe in the 1800s I could buy that but my parents smoked forever, they tried to use that excuse but they knew it was bad for them.  did they know they may get cancer? maybe not but no one thought ingesting smoke was good for them. if you lived it and thought smoking was good for you I think you probably had more problems than smoking.

as for football, it's been a long time since players needed offseason jobs and FA helped end that.  why should a player have to get a job in the offseason when they bring in the revenue they do?  Free agency was a great thing for the players and while it's not perfect for the game the players deserve it and every penny they make.  The game has to evolve as players evolve, again if players today played under 1960s rules they'd kill people on a weekly basis. 

another funny thing about this is in the 70s and 80s the majority of players(at least lineman) were using steroids and now they are going to complain they didn't know playing football could harm them?  it's all about making some extra money.  I do think the league should take care of old players medical issues so on some level they deserve it but they knew they were putting their bodies on the line playing the game as well as using steroids.

Ahhh youth. You get the booby prize kid. This like all your other posts are pompous bullsh*t. Here's proof you unimaginable oaf:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

These were just a few of hundreds I found.

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON TV OR ON THE INTERNET. GOT IT KID? GOOD.

Archived