Opportunity Cost: Marshon Lattimore aiming to be 'a Darrelle Revis type'

David Harris

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000867968/article/marshon-lattimore-aiming-to-be-a-darrelle-revis-type

Marshon Lattimore aiming to be 'a Darrelle Revis type'

Marshon Lattimore transformed the New Orleans Saints' defense.

Perhaps it's slightly hyperbolic to shove a huge helping of credit for the Saints' defensive renaissance onto the rookie's plate. It's also certainly not wrong to do so.

The first-round pick has played at a lockdown level this season, smothering opposing teams' top receivers week after week. Officially Lattimore has five passes defended, one pick-six, and no touchdown catches allowed.

The film shows an even better story. Lattimore gives zero inches in press coverage, can run step-for-step down the field with wideouts, has quick route recognition, and seemingly even quicker natural reactions to the ball. It's impressive to watch a rookie like Lattimore trust his eyes, instincts and physical talent. Where most first-year players second-guess or hesitate for a beat during a play, Lattimore plays with a fluidity and confidence rarely seen in young corners.

It's coming to the point where the Saintscould consider leaving Lattimore on an island.

"He's a couple games away from getting that treatment where you're just by yourself and we'll go cover here," veteran safety Kenny Vaccaro told Nick Underhill of the New Orleans Advocate this week.

In fact, that's Lattimore's plan.

"Of course, that's the goal. That's the goal," Lattimore said. "Like a Darrelle Revis type. Of course."

Watching him move around the formation and beat up Davante Adams -- whom defensive coordinators have treated as the Packers' go-to target of late -- last week was a wonder to behold from a rookie and an indication of Lattimore's potential as a traveling CB.

Pro Football Focus published a good look at the Ohio State product this week entitled: "Saints CB Marshon Lattimore might be special."

I'll take the "might be" out for them.

According to PFF, Lattimore has been thrown at 22 times for 114 yards, and yielding a passer rating of just 50.2 in five games played. Lattimore's 94.1 grade from PFF is the highest the analytics website has ever given a rookie corner. He's on pace for a far better rookie season than Revis (82.6) and better than all but one season of the veteran's entire career.

Surely a few struggle games will come down the road as the competition ramps up toward the playoffs, but all the traits are there for the rookie to shine.

With Lattimore not giving up big plays, everything falls into place for a heretofore maligned Saints' defense. The opposite corner can receive more help, covering potential big-play problems. And the pass rush has more time to get to the QB with the secondary taking away first and second reads.

Lattimore isn't the only upgrade for an improved Saints team (better linebackers, Alex Okafor's play opposite Cameron Jordan, to name two), but the Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate is the biggest key so far.

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Adams has looked worthy his draft position so far IMO...positional value of a CB though...still want to see if Lattimores chronic hamstring issues turn out to be, umm, chronic.

I don’t think that is true.  Collins was 33rd.  Keanu Neal was in the 20s.  There are multiple safeties drafted lower than Adams who are playing better.   

Adams is a good hard nosed player.  He does not have the athleticism to make a difference as the 6th pick in the draft.   This was likely a BowlesMacc combo pick which shows why the org structure does not work.   

Hire Dorsey.  

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Adams has looked worthy his draft position so far IMO...positional value of a CB though...still want to see if Lattimores chronic hamstring issues turn out to be, umm, chronic.

Still want to see if Adams can cover a TE....for once. 

41 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Still want to see if Adams can cover a TE....for once. 

I think the taller, lanky S are going to cover the TE, like Antonio Allen did.  Problem is that they can't do other things.  Covering the TE is one of the tougher things to do in the NFL, which is why the Patriots stockpile them and run their offenses around them and shifty white WRs.  

Adams does better covering RBs and WRs.  

Lee-who is slightly bigger than Adams, would be the player who should covering TEs more.  But putting these guys that are 6-0 and 6-1 out covering 6-6 TEs is always going to be a challenging proposition.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I don’t think that is true.  Collins was 33rd.  Keanu Neal was in the 20s.  There are multiple safeties drafted lower than Adams who are playing better.   

Adams is a good hard nosed player.  He does not have the athleticism to make a difference as the 6th pick in the draft.   This was likely a BowlesMacc combo pick which shows why the org structure does not work.   

Hire Dorsey.  

If we passed on Adams, would he have dropped to 20? Weren't all the mock drafts he was a top 5 picks? 

9 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

If we passed on Adams, would he have dropped to 20? Weren't all the mock drafts he was a top 5 picks? 

The Mock Drafts grade like Macc does.  They overweight a player rating and underweight position/athletic value.

I just peaked at the 2017 board.  Yes, Adams was predicted top 5, just like Williams was, but he fell, just like Wiiliams, to 6.  Other GMs look at the world differently than Mac and the Mocksters do.  Depending upon who the Jets picked, Adams was going anywhere from 7-15.  He was not making it to 20.  Part of that though is the success of Collins and Neal.  

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Mock Drafts grade like Macc does.  They overweight a player rating and underweight position/athletic value.

I just peaked at the 2017 board.  Yes, Adams was predicted top 5, just like Williams was, but he fell, just like Wiiliams, to 6.  Other GMs look at the world differently than Mac and the Mocksters do.  Depending upon who the Jets picked, Adams was going anywhere from 7-15.  He was not making it to 20.  Part of that though is the success of Collins and Neal.  

so you can't really argue Adams is a reach at 6

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

so you can't really argue Adams is a reach at 6

I think he was a slight reach considering that there was a shutdown CB, WR and FQB available there.  

Past is prologue.  I believe who the Jets pick (not if they already have a drafted/paid for player) and play (draft picks/contracts favored) are very politically motivated.   The Jets may have not liked Mike Williams, were spooked by Lattimore's injuries, had signed Claimborne, downgraded Watson because of Hack, and wanted a safety who could play Bowles defense.  I also think Lee and Adams are somewhat redundant.

Again, I like Adams.  Maybe he turns out to be the best pick at 6, but right now Lattimore, Watson and maybe Hooker look like better picks.  Beasley may also be the better pick over Williams.

5 hours ago, varjet said:

I think he was a slight reach considering that there was a shutdown CB, WR and FQB available there.  

Past is prologue.  I believe who the Jets pick (not if they already have a drafted/paid for player) and play (draft picks/contracts favored) are very politically motivated.   The Jets may have not liked Mike Williams, were spooked by Lattimore's injuries, had signed Claimborne, downgraded Watson because of Hack, and wanted a safety who could play Bowles defense.  I also think Lee and Adams are somewhat redundant.

Again, I like Adams.  Maybe he turns out to be the best pick at 6, but right now Lattimore, Watson and maybe Hooker look like better picks.  Beasley may also be the better pick over Williams.

I think PFF has Adams ranked higher than Hooker

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t blame Macc for passing on Lattimore at all with that injury history.

Mac went with the "safe" pick.  No way he was picking Lattimore after what happened with Dee Milliner and after coming off a 4-12 season.

That being said, CBs are worth top ten picks.  Safeties are not.

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Did Darrell Revis ever have a meaningful interception in his 8 year career? I’m trying to remember anything he ever did besides hold out.

Bro, Revis was the shiznit- not a joke. 2009 and 2010 he didn't need to INT anything - he took the elite WR's off the fkn board. I've never seen anything like it and probably never will again. 

I dislike him too these days but his peak years are beyond reproach.

Archived