10/28 Saturday College Gameday Thread

Lith

We used to do this over at the Hampur -- one thread to discuss all of the days college football action.  At least we did it back when people actually talked football over there instead of politics.  Seems like the college football discussion gets spread across a 5 or 6 different threads here.  I have seen a few of the old Hampur regulars over here -- maybe we can get something similar going.

Great slate of games today.

Kicks off at Noon with Mason Rudolph and Oklahoma State vs Will Grier and West Virginia, followed by a bunch of great matchups at 3:30, too bad they are all at the same time:

Ohio State - Penn State

Notre Dame - NC State

TCU - Iowa State

Georgia - Florida 

UCLA - Washington

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i'll be flipping back and forth from penn/ohio game and UCLA - then the late games of course which aren't so late here.

Lith, what's the next big Georgia game?

Auburn in 2 weeks.  Better be a night game -- going to be in Orlando with the family, before heading over to Tampa for the Jets late Saturday.

Late games suck today, unless maybe GA Tech can hang with Clemson, which I doubt  All the best games are at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Gonna have to start making time for OU as we head down the stretch. 

Doubt they gets tested much against Texas Tech tonight, but could be worth watching for a while given the alternatives this evening.

Just now, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

TD run was Big Ben - clumsy but he is too big to stop

and thanks for the heads up 

need more people in here to get some dialogue going, glad you slid in. We've had some decent college day threads in the past that were fun. This Ohio/Penn game should provide ample entertainment. 

Then it's the Falk/Darnold show later tonight for me. Need these guys to get back in the saddle and finish the year strong. 

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

need more people in here to get some dialogue going, glad you slid in. We've had some decent college day threads in the past that were fun. This Ohio/Penn game should provide ample entertainment. 

Then it's the Falk/Darnold show later tonight for me. Need these guys to get back in the saddle and finish the year strong. 

Yea, will be a battle in the shoe today, not sure how much posting I will do during the game but I will be watching, game day was down there this morning but weather was terrible and kids had soccer - this is the season for the Buckeyes

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This Ohio/Penn game should provide ample entertainment. 

Ohio STATE.  Penn STATE.  Please do not ever refer to Penn State as Penn.  Penn should only refer to the University of Pennsylvania, an Ivy League institution with what quite possibly is the finest Business School in the country.  It has produced Presidents (not just the current one), Business Leaders, and a certain Lith (Georgia was grad school).

Penn State, on the other hand, has produced Hack, Blair Thomas and my brother in law.

This is usually the only week of the year when I root for Ohio State.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

We used to do this over at the Hampur -- one thread to discuss all of the days college football action.  At least we did it back when people actually talked football over there instead of politics.  Seems like the college football discussion gets spread across a 5 or 6 different threads here.  I have seen a few of the old Hampur regulars over here -- maybe we can get something similar going.

Great slate of games today.

Kicks off at Noon with Mason Rudolph and Oklahoma State vs Will Grier and West Virginia, followed by a bunch of great matchups at 3:30, too bad they are all at the same time:

Ohio State - Penn State

Notre Dame - NC State

TCU - Iowa State

Georgia - Florida 

UCLA - Washington

I like that there are good matchups in the afternoon though.  I hate when they're all prime time.  Saturday football should mostly be played during the daylight.  

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Ohio STATE.  Penn STATE.  Please do not ever refer to Penn State as Penn.  Penn should only refer to the University of Pennsylvania, an Ivy League institution with what quite possibly is the finest Business School in the country.  It has produced Presidents (not just the current one), Business Leaders, and a certain Lith (Georgia was grad school).

Penn State, on the other hand, has produced Hack, Blair Thomas and my brother in law.

Isn't it "The Ohio State"?

Who is your bro-in-law?

unrelated but related as far as saturday sports go--

If you're even mildly interested in Boxing, Anthony Joshua is fighting tonight (heavyweight) and defending his belts -- and next weekend Deontay Wilder is defending his -- setting up a superfight in early '18 for title unification in the heavy weight division.

It's the closest the sport seen to a serious bout for the ages, since the days of Holyfield/Lewis/Tyson etc. 

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

lol - you're telling me I can't type lazy. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

unrelated but related as far as saturday sports go--

If you're even mildly interested in Boxing, Anthony Joshua is fighting tonight (heavyweight) and defending his belts -- and next weekend Deontay Wilder is defending his -- setting up a superfight in early '18 for title unification in the heavy weight division.

It's the closest the sport seen to a serious bout for the ages, since the days of Holyfield/Lewis/Tyson etc. 

Other than seeing a couple of ads for the fight, I had never heard of either.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Other than seeing a couple of ads for the fight, I had never heard of either.

Yea, the sport has taken a backseat to MMA - for good reason. It's a mess to follow. Anthony Joshua is respectable undefeated HW champ out of England (i think?)....

but Wilder is the bomb. If he was fighting 20 years ago, we'd all know who he is. 

He's 38-0, with 37 knockouts. He's a beast. Their fight (assuming both win) is going to be a rumble.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

how are them quakers doing this year. Whatever happened to your QB that came out last year?

Rough year this year.  Dead last in the Ivies, although we do have a senior WR who is likely to get a look as a UDFA next season.  Alek Torgersen -- our QB fro last year spent some time with Atlanta and was on the Redskins practice squad at the start of the season.  I don't think he is currently on an NFL roster.

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like that there are good matchups in the afternoon though.  I hate when they're all prime time.  Saturday football should mostly be played during the daylight.  

Problem is that they are all at the same time today--if not for the World Series, that PSU-OSU game would likely be prime time.  Instead, we have 4 or 5 really good matchups all at the same time this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Darnold/Wilkins ... you got your QBs confused again :D

USC @ AZ State 7:45PM PST ESPN 

Nothing about Grier is impressive and it has nothing to do with the INT's
today.  Also Rudolph is a pedestrian prospect in my eyes.  He has a nice frame
and generates nice stats but other than that nothing he does wows me.  Is he
another Brandon Weeden?

20 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Darnold/Wilkins ... you got your QBs confused again :D

USC @ AZ State 7:45PM PST ESPN 

My passive aggressive radar bleeped. 

I was referring to the fact that USC and WSH ST were both playing tonight... 

Archived