Why don't teams play to win?

CanadaSteve

It is mind boggling.

Houston has a chance, on 3rd and 4, to win the game.  They get the first down, game is over.  What do they do?  Run the ball right into the heart of the Seattle defense, gain two yards, and punt the ball.  4 plays later, they lose.  

I do not understand the conservative mentality.  Presume the team is going to score.  Go for the win.  If you don't make it, at least you tried.  

It is painful to watch, and it is ESPECIALLY painful given that is how we play all the time.

People play the odds.  The odds are higher than a run play will get those yards than a pass play, generally.

Not saying I agree with that call, or the "Bowles style" od ultra conservative offense...I do not.  At all.

But it is what the pros often do, especially the pro coaches without a legit QB.

Better to punt and let your D win the game, than let your QB throw an INT and lose the game.  Or so they think.

Especially the way Watson is playing.  How do you not give him some type of run/pass option to win the game?

I get they needed a TD to win but my god.  You’re on the road in Seattle and you can win with a first and your QB is unbelievable.  Crazy decision but coaches in general are cowards. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Short answer? Most "football guys" are dumb and adhere to the conventional wisdom type of thought process. Its why Bellichick is such an outlier. Hes fearless and doesnt care about trends or the "safe play". 

Belidick knows that statistics show that conventional wisdom is wrong, I will give him that. A statistical analysis a few years ago, for example, showed that most teams would have a better chance at success if they went for it on fourth down. Coaches, however, would never follow that philosophy. 

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/a-new-study-on-fourth-downs-go-for-it/

Another analysis showed that the passing game is much more important than a rushing attack - that's probably why the Patsies have won so many SBs despite having virtually no running threat season after season. 

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2007/07/what-makes-teams-win-part-1.html

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

People play the odds.  The odds are higher than a run play will get those yards than a pass play, generally.

Not saying I agree with that call, or the "Bowles style" od ultra conservative offense...I do not.  At all.

But it is what the pros often do, especially the pro coaches without a legit QB.

Better to punt and let your D win the game, than let your QB throw an INT and lose the game.  Or so they think.

I actually LOL at the announcers in the game that covered that stupid call by saying "Why not let your defense win it for you who have played great today?"

PLAYED GREAT?  They had given up over 30 points, while your offense had score more.  You MIGHT think it would be better to try and win it with your offense, since, you know, they were playing better

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Belidick knows that statistics show that conventional wisdom is wrong, I will give him that. A statistical analysis a few years ago, for example, showed that most teams would have a better chance at success if they went for it on fourth down. Coaches, however, would never follow that philosophy. 

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/a-new-study-on-fourth-downs-go-for-it/

Another analysis showed that the passing game is much more important than a rushing attack - that's probably why the Patsies have won so many SBs despite having virtually no running threat season after season. 

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2007/07/what-makes-teams-win-part-1.html

Yet idiot announcers still babble about "establishing the run" and "if they get 30+ rushing attempts they will win". You run enough to keep the defense honest,  and to burn clock late in the game if you're ahead. But Texans had to get that 1st down and didn't give Watson the chance to do it. 

I'm starting to hate NFL football. These NFL coaches are made out to be savants, when in truth a lot of them are stupid as sh*t. That's why Belichick wins so many games in this league!

You can watch a Pats game & see Gosrkowski kick high instead of into the endzone. BB knows everything about EVERYONE from the other team, next thing you know there sh*tty returner is tackled at the 12 yard line & their backed up. 

Remember when he had Brady go for it on 4th down & lost vs Indy? The talking heads made a big deal about it but BB could give a flying f*ck what they thought because he was 50-1 in the Right decisions after that one.

Belichick with a CRAPPY D, held down the Falcons & crushed them. We give up 25 points in a monsoon because we can't move the damn ball after having it 5 times on Atlanta side of the field. 

Archived