Pretty clear that Petty / Hack won't play this year

LionelRichie

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I think we are close to one of them playing, a loss on Thursday and they can pack away their pipe dreams of competing for a playoff spot.

Nah. If McCown doesn't get hurt, he's playing throughout. Hackenburg is awful and will never start a meaningful NFL game ever. Petty is a backup. McCown is sadly the best option and Bowles is trying to win games.

McCown has been valuable to use from a grading perspective. By having competent QB play we know we should be resigning ASJ, we know that Robby is a legit homerun threat, the OL is more sound than it appeared in preseason (still need a center). As long as we stay in games the players will play hard and we can see who needs to be replaced. I think if we can land a QB and a Pass Rusher this offseason along with resigning our FA we are going to be very happy with our team next year.

11 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Nah. If McCown doesn't get hurt, he's playing throughout. Hackenburg is awful and will never start a meaningful NFL game ever. Petty is a backup. McCown is sadly the best option and Bowles is trying to win games.

I will be shocked if McCown plays the entire season if we start to hit 6-7-8 losses. if that happens that is a fireable offense for the HC.

It always amazes me the the undeserved respect that these veteran QBs like McClown and Fitzloser get. Both are complete JAGs that do not actually improve your team or play well. Both have learned how to compile stats to make their play look better than it actually is, 4td and 7, check it down for 2 yards and keep the completion percentage high.

Yet no one gives either Petty or Hack any respect at all and just completely dismiss them without really seeing them play and insisting they they are already busts and not the answers, while continuing with the JAG that guarantees mediocrity is your season.

A 38 year old JG forcing the ball to his 2 veteran receivers is not a winning formula. We did the exact thing with Fitzcraptrick and now with McClown. Morton treats McClown as a rookie level QB and is making almost no impact despite his OK looking stats. He consistently chokes under pressure.

And despite the evaluations of Petty and Hack with very limited info, we won't know what we have in them unless we play them. This entire season should have been about playing them and seeing if they develop.

It is criminal what Bowles is doing to this team. He actually does not give a flying fuuck about this team only protecting his job.

We will never win as an organization until he is gone.

And I will never understand the double standard of so many Jets fans here. Why are you so willing to just completely give up on a young QB the minute he struggles but OK with continuously trotting out marginal veteran backup retreads old as dirt that have already PROVEN that they suck?

The fact of the matter is, while I like McCown as a good veteran presence to have on your roster the mistakes he's made are dumb rookie QB mistakes.  Look at yesterday as a prime example, while Cat needs to make his kicks, McCown on 3rd down knowing we're playing in a monsoon takes bad sack pushing the team back and making that a longer kick, get rid of the ball.  Plus look at the last few weeks, the INT going into the half against New England that was essentially a 10-pt swing, and awful INT to close out the Dolphin game.  These are rookie mistakes being made by a 38 year old QB, if he's going to play like that anyway why not see what you have in the young guys.  

8 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I understand playing to win games but that philosophy would never allow young players to ascend, especially with the new CBA and lack of practice / off-season development.   Good thing for the Eagles that Bowles isn't the head coach or Wentz would still be on the bench because "chase daniel gives them the best chance to win".   

On 10/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, bla bla bla said:

McCown has been valuable to use from a grading perspective. By having competent QB play we know we should be resigning ASJ, we know that Robby is a legit homerun threat, the OL is more sound than it appeared in preseason (still need a center). As long as we stay in games the players will play hard and we can see who needs to be replaced. I think if we can land a QB and a Pass Rusher this offseason along with resigning our FA we are going to be very happy with our team next year.

We haven't been able to find either one in over 10 years and you think we'll get lucky and find both this off-season? I guess a blind squirrel does find a nut every once in a while.

This is a LOST year and McCown should never have started even one game for this team.  As bad as Petty and Hackenberg might be, at least one if not both of them should have been given significant playing time this year to determine their worth as NFL QB's once and for all.  This notion that McCown is "helping" the young receivers develop is nonsense as the young WR's don't play either.  The GM strips the team of most skill position veterans and then the coach decides to play the bottom of the barrel vets that are left on the team or who have been acquired during the year over the young recently drafted players.   It makes ZERO sense and proves that there is no concrete plan in place.  The GM seems to be building a team for the future but the coach wont play the young players, and apparently the coach wields at least as much power as the GM in this twisted and stupid power structure.  Welcome to the dysfunctional and hard to watch 2017 Jets folks!!! 

On 10/30/2017 at 8:35 AM, joewilly12 said:

It certainly looks that way. 

under bowles' watch?? absolutely not.. he has zero interest in seeing what either can do before the wheels fall off this season..

maybe maccagnan can convince woody's brother to play at least petty before then..

On 10/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, drsamuel84 said:

The fact of the matter is, while I like McCown as a good veteran presence to have on your roster the mistakes he's made are dumb rookie QB mistakes.  Look at yesterday as a prime example, while Cat needs to make his kicks, McCown on 3rd down knowing we're playing in a monsoon takes bad sack pushing the team back and making that a longer kick, get rid of the ball.  Plus look at the last few weeks, the INT going into the half against New England that was essentially a 10-pt swing, and awful INT to close out the Dolphin game.  These are rookie mistakes being made by a 38 year old QB, if he's going to play like that anyway why not see what you have in the young guys.  

this is what happens when veteran game manager qbs think they are better than they are, and try too hard and screw up.  the absolute worst example of this was the INT right before half of the NE game.  there was no reason to force anything, it was not the end of the game, they were winning.  the whole goal should have been to go into halftime beating the patriots.  worst case, if you throw a pick, do it on a bomb so NE has bad field position.  

10 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is a LOST year and McCown should never have started even one game for this team.  As bad as Petty and Hackenberg might be, at least one if not both of them should have been given significant playing time this year to determine their worth as NFL QB's once and for all.  This notion that McCown is "helping" the young receivers develop is nonsense as the young WR's don't play either.  The GM strips the team of most skill position veterans and then the coach decides to play the bottom of the barrel vets that are left on the team or who have been acquired during the year over the young recently drafted players.   It makes ZERO sense and proves that there is no concrete plan in place.  The GM seems to be building a team for the future but the coach wont play the young players, and apparently the coach wields at least as much power as the GM in this twisted and stupid power structure.  Welcome to the dysfunctional and hard to watch 2017 Jets folks!!! 

i'm in lockstep with this post, except for the bolded..

maccagnan never should have signed mccown.. ever.....

he had no reason, whatsoever to believe bowles was going to start anyone but mccown once he was signed.. none.....

5 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

he had no reason, whatsoever to believe bowles was going to start anyone but mccown once he was signed.. none.....

i agree, but it was mccagnan who signed mccown.  and why did he sign mccown?  because he didn't have the balls to take watson or mahomes.  and that's what's wrong with his rebuild, he keeps deferring the qb decision.  you can't remain the gm of a bad team unless you find a qb.  that's why the team is bad to begin with.  and then he takes non-premium positions in safety/DT/ILB in the first round, all defense.  mind you, i think they're all good players and lee actually looks like the only guy who can blitz, but that's not the point.   

mccagnan can't remain the jets' gm by signing guys like fitz and mccown b/c the head coach will always play them over the scrub qbs he's drafting.  i can see mccags going after cousins, b/c that would absolve him of using a high pick on a qb and finally staking his gm reputation on the same criterion that every successful gm had to overcome - find a good qb.  except instead of doing this year 1, he's now preparing for his 4th draft, the team has no offensive weapons with the top 6 picks he's made, and we have the oldest starting qb/rb tandem in the nfl.  instead of drafting these positions with premium picks he uses them on defense, then signs veterans we complain about bowles playing.

9 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

I believe that Mac signed McCown to be the backup, and in a normal power structure, he should have made it clear to Bowles that one of the young QB's should start, but that obviously didn't happen.  And of course, to make matters worse, McCown has actually played ok and is responsible for a few wins that probably never would have happened if Petty was at the helm.  The GM is all in on the tank and the coach isn't because he thinks 5 wins is going to save his job.  I hope to hell that someone in the Jets hierarchy sees the light and fires this garbage coach 3 seconds after the season ends. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I believe that Mac signed McCown to be the backup, and in a normal power structure, he should have made it clear to Bowles that one of the young QB's should start, but that obviously didn't happen.  And of course, to make matters worse, McCown has actually played ok and is responsible for a few wins that probably never would have happened if Petty was at the helm.  The GM is all in on the tank and the coach isn't because he thinks 5 wins is going to save his job.  I hope to hell that someone in the Jets hierarchy sees the light and fires this garbage coach 3 seconds after the season ends. 

i disagree.  mccags knows what he's drafting.  whether petty or hack or mccown started this year, the tank was still in play.  heading into last year's draft and offseason, mccags knew bowles well enough to know that the only way a guy like mccown was not going to start this year was if they took a qb in the first round and there was inordinate franchise (aka ownership) pressure to play him once they were out of playoff contention.  there is no such pressure with hack or petty at 3-5.  mccags is signing his own ticket out of here b/c if he won't draft a qb worth starting, the next gm will.  

10 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I believe that Mac signed McCown to be the backup, and in a normal power structure, he should have made it clear to Bowles that one of the young QB's should start, but that obviously didn't happen.  And of course, to make matters worse, McCown has actually played ok and is responsible for a few wins that probably never would have happened if Petty was at the helm.  The GM is all in on the tank and the coach isn't because he thinks 5 wins is going to save his job.  I hope to hell that someone in the Jets hierarchy sees the light and fires this garbage coach 3 seconds after the season ends. 

as far as the bolded:

nope, it sure as hell didn't happen..

again, this is on maccagnan.. we as fans (well, some of us) suspected bowles was all about keeping his job here, or fluffing up his resume.. maccagnan is apparently oblivious to bowles using the ass backward chain of command, strictly to his advantage.. not to the advantage of the players, the organization & certainly not to him..

zero sum game..

Christian Hackenberg shouldn't be on ANY NFL roster. He's not a backup. He's certainly not a starter. 

He's a practice squad guy at best, at worst he needs to spend 2 years in the CFL, if they will even have him. 

as for Petty he's actually got talent and confidence. I like Petty. The only problem is he gets hurt. He's not durable or mobile or lucky enough. Whatever it is that keeps people from getting hurt, he lacks it. Petty's had 2 chances to win this job outright and he got hurt both times. 

I've gone on record saying Bryce petty is the best QB on the roster and I stand by it. Robby Anderson has been open all year and Petty would have found him more. But the real question is can that he play 16 games and the answer is probably not. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Christian Hackenberg shouldn't be on ANY NFL roster. He's not a backup. He's certainly not a starter. 

He's a practice squad guy at best, at worst he needs to spend 2 years in the CFL, if they will even have him. 

as for Petty he's actually got talent and confidence. I like Petty. The only problem is he gets hurt. He's not durable or mobile or lucky enough. Whatever it is that keeps people from getting hurt, he lacks it. Petty's had 2 chances to win this job outright and he got hurt both times. 

I've gone on record saying Bryce petty is the best QB on the roster and I stand by it. Robby Anderson has been open all year and Petty would have found him more. But the real question is can that he play 16 games and the answer is probably not. 

the larger problem is that the head coach has already made up his mind about petty, and we don't know where the gm stands.  mccags won't be able to keep his job if he keeps drafting qbs in the 2nd-4th round and then brings in vets who the head coach plays ahead of them.  any gm could do this.

2 hours ago, Brady's a catcher said:

We haven't been able to find either one in over 10 years and you think we'll get lucky and find both this off-season? I guess a blind squirrel does find a nut every once in a while.

Yes, I think signing Cousins solves the QB issue. Then I would double dip at Pass Rusher with 2 of our first 4 picks. By no means is that a guarantee but I do believe we are in far better shape than any of us thought we would be heading into this off season. 

Archived