Interesting Philosophy from Maligned GM

#27TheDominator

IMO you don't draft a Watson, if and only if, you really believe that Petty or Hack are going to be starting level QBs.

Now if you do not believe that Petty or Hack are going to be starting QBs in NFL then it is criminal not to draft a potential starting QB when you are trotting Fitz or McCown out there!!

So at this point based upon what is happening with the Jets I have to say I am a little confused at what is going on.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

IMO you don't draft a Watson, if and only if, you really believe that Petty or Hack are going to be starting level QBs.

Now if you do not believe that Petty or Hack are going to be starting QBs in NFL then it is criminal not to draft a potential starting QB when you are trotting Fitz or McCown out there!!

So at this point based upon what is happening with the Jets I have to say I am a little confused at what is going on.

I am not an expert here or anything, but my view is that you grade the QBs in a round.  Watson must have been a first round QB on the Jets Board.  

When you pick, you ask yourself whether there is a QB available that is graded in that round and is better than what you have on your roster-for the 1st and second round its the starter, 3rd and below, its the back up.  You can project ahead for transition-The Chiefs could have said Mahomes was their best QB (for the money) in 2018/19,

So when the Jets picked in the first round, the pick should have been Watson, as he was better than McCown, Hack or Petty.  That simple.  

I think if teams followed a rule like this, they would end up making smarter QB drafting decisions (remembering that you can always trade them).

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If you think Watson can be a starting QB, you absolutely pick him.  Even if you think the stiffs you have are going to be starting QBs.  You know why?  Cause the Pats were supposedly offered a 1st for Garoppolo, got a high 2nd for Cassel, the offers for Cousins and Glennon were quite impressive and you could save a ton of money by not carrying $18M of salary for Fitzpatrick and McCown.

Right up until the draft they were really torn as to whether Watson would look better backing up McCown than Petty and Hack.  It's a tough call but the two guys we have do a really good job of surfing the pine.  I'm not sure Watson would have brought much more to the table in that regard.  

Archived