How much criticism should Macc be getting for whiffing on Watson?

Pointdexter

There are no Deshaun Watsons in the upcoming draft. 

This was the best QB in college football the last 2 seasons.

This was the guy that ripped mighty Alabama's defense a new one....twice, when it counted the most.

The Jets haven't had their own franchise QB in 3 decades. Hack is garbage and everyone knew and still knows it.

So DW was right there, staring back at us at #6, a golden opportunity for a true franchise QB of our own, to a team who so desperately needs one.

And we draft safety.

And, no this isn't hindsight. Most fans who also follow cfb was screaming for this guy. The upside was way too good if it payed off. 

And we draft safety. 

Now we choose btw Rosen who emotionally/mentally may be fragile. Or Darnold who has a ton to prove in a sophomore slump. Or Lamar Jackson who looks as uncomfortable in the pocket as any QB I've seen.

So shouldn't Macc be held accountable for going safety when even most fans would have got it right with franchise QB???

This miss is as big as trading up for Dewayne Robertson.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He will deserve some if Watson turns into a consistent franchise QB and goes to a Super Bowl (barring of course that MAcc doesnt get us a similar QB in this draft)

The problem is that people are too willing to jump on board the hate train when it's been 7 games and despite Watson being great, the Texans are 3-4

i say not much b/c bowles would still have mccown as the starter.  the head coach has to be on board with starting a rookie qb, he has to have confidence he'll be around for the entire process and bowles clearly does not have those attributes.  he will play the oldest qb on the roster until that guy gets hurt, bowles is probably the only coach who did not bench his qb after he threw 5 INTS in a game.  if mccags wants his drafted qbs to start he can't keep signing guys like fitz and mccown.  

mccags has one more draft to find a qb, and bowles has at most one more season to play this qb, or they're both gone.

5 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

There are no Deshaun Watsons in the upcoming draft. 

And that completely negates everything you said afterwards. The truth is we have no idea.

A; What DeShaun Watson is (hell scouts couldnt figure it out)

B: If there is another like him or not in the draft. I think there might be. I look at Baker Mayfield. Consistent winner at Oklahoma, good QB. The knock on him is his height

I don't think he should get much at all.    He was criticized for not moving down, and if he did we still don't know if Watson was the guy we would have picked.  You say it's not hindsight but it is.  We can do this for every QB that we didn't pick that turned out to be very good.   Watson was a good prospect but not good enough to risk the 6th pick on another "hope".   I hear no noise about Paxton Lynch but if he were to become great then we would start the same convo again and switch names.  

He deserves a ton of flack for missing on Watson he also deserves flack for missing on Devin Smith and Chrisitian Hackenberg. This franchise can't waste 2nd rd picks. If we are being honest Mac's drafts are worse than Bowles' coaching.

And I know Bowles isn't perfect. but no single decision Bowles has made has been as bad as Macs 2 2nd rounders 

Just now, bitonti said:

He deserves a ton of flack for missing on Watson he also deserves flack for missing on Devin Smith and Chrisitian Hackenberg. This franchise can't waste 2nd rd picks. If we are being honest Mac's drafts are worse than Bowles' coaching. And I know Bowles isn't perfect. That's just how bad Mac has been at drafting. 

He didnt miss on Devin Smith. Devin Smith couldnt stay healthy. That is not on the GM

Just now, August said:

Are you guys gonna be whining about Watson now? Just like you guys kept whining about Carr? 

No we are going to eat these losses like good little boys and girls. Cause that's what being a Jets fan is. Getting kicked in the crotch every Sunday and then blaming ourselves for having a crotch to be kicked. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

If Smith was a guy like Dee Milliner who had major injuries in college, then I would agree with you. But Smith did not

The Smith pick was a disaster the only reason we don't harp on it is because he found Robby Anderson, the player Smith should have been. 

but the point remains 2nd round picks are often more valuable than even first round picks and this franchise can't waste them

serious question why should any of us trust a guy who thought Hackenberg was worth a 2nd round pick to make any future QB picks? 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but the point remains 2nd round picks are often more valuable than even first round picks and this franchise can't waste them

serious question why should any of us trust a guy who thought Hackenberg was worth a 2nd round pick to make any future QB picks? 

Hackenberg is his biggest blemish, his Waterloo. It's the one major knock you can have against him as a GM.

He gets one chance to correct it in this draft or in this FA market. If he doesn't, he's gone. It's that plain and simple

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Hackenberg is his biggest blemish, his Waterloo.

He gets one chance to correct it in this draft or in this FA market. If he doesn't, he's gone. It's that plain and simple

The whole thing was mismanaged. 

The hundreds (maybe thousands) of 1st team reps they wasted on Hackenberg this summer probably cost them an early win or two. It wasn't until a couple weeks in when McCown settled into the offense.  McCown should have been playing the whole time. Hackenberg should be on the psquad or the CFL that's how bad he is. Anyone looking at last year's Hack and thinking he has any value this year doesn't know what they are looking at. 

I'll ask again (Since you didn't answer) why exactly should he be trusted with any more QB picks? 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I have no idea what that means, so I will just add that whiffing on a QB in the second round is pretty bad. But I've seen way worse. 

"Better the devil you know" is just accepting below average results because changing is too hard.   

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yet robbie anderson thrives.  

no one drafted him though he went undrafted and that's a great place to take thin fast WR who are one hit away from the IR 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He deserves a ton of flack for missing on Watson he also deserves flack for missing on Devin Smith and Chrisitian Hackenberg. This franchise can't waste 2nd rd picks. If we are being honest Mac's drafts are worse than Bowles' coaching.

And I know Bowles isn't perfect. but no single decision Bowles has made has been as bad as Macs 2 2nd rounders 

At some point, do we have to wonder how much flack he deserves for Leonard Williams over Vic Beasley?

Watson found the right team, right OC/HC, right system, right environment.

Anyone who thinks his situation in Houston transfers to Flo Park with a floundering-D HC and a rookie OC needs to pull their head out fast. 

That's number 1.

Number 2, Jets locked up McCown before the draft. Bowles had every intention of starting him to sweep the QB issue under the rug and dodge the task of developing one – something he's never done and never will. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I have no idea what that means, so I will just add that whiffing on a QB in the second round is pretty bad. But I've seen way worse. 

Name it. 

_____________ was a worse second round pick than Christian Hackenberg.

Just now, bitonti said:

"Better the devil you know" is just accepting below average results because changing is too hard.   

No. Because changing could lead to worse results. At some point there will come a time when Maccagnan work would be so low that there is no risk in switching. We are not at that point yet. We may be at that point next year

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

At some point, do we have to wonder how much flack he deserves for Leonard Williams over Vic Beasley?

He gets no flack for that because nobody really wanted Beasley that high. They thought he was a guy with seed and nothing else. Macc would have shellacked for drafting Beasley that high

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

Watson found the right team, right OC/HC, right system, right environment.

Anyone who thinks his situation in Houston transfers to Flo Park with a floundering-D HC and a rookie OC needs to pull their head out fast. 

That's number 1.

Number 2, Jets locked up McCown before the draft. Bowles had every intention of starting him to sweep the QB issue under the rug and dodge the task of developing one – something he's never done and never will. 

then it's mccags' fault.  any gm can do what he's done, go completely conservative in the first round, miss on qbs in the 2nd and 4th rounds, and sign veteran qbs for 'leadership'.  mccags is gunshy.

macs drafts have been awful-we have a bottom tier talent team-the wasted pick on hack the reason he should be fired-I also dont agree with his choice to rebuild his team by starting with double safeties and for all of the first rounders on D our D is bad. Watson is the real deal and the smart scouts said pass on him and you will regret it- if you cant tell that by watching him play so far that he has "it"you should find another hobby-just ask Sherman from the hawks who knows more then anybody here what he thinks of him.   He is light years ahead of Hackenberg who is so good he is not allowed to step on the field

Just now, kmnj said:

macs drafts have been awful-we have a bottom tier talent team-the wasted pick on hack the reason he should be fired-I also dont agree with his choice to rebuild his team by starting with double safeties and for all of the first rounders on D our D is bad. Watson is the real deal and the smart scouts said pass on him and you will regret it- if you cant tell that by watching him play so far that he has "it"you should find another hobby-just ask Sherman from the hawks who knows more then anybody here what he thinks of him.   He is light years ahead of Hackenberg who is so good he is not allowed to step on the field

So why do many sites incuding this one give him a B for this draft?

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

then it's mccags' fault.  any gm can do what he's done, go completely conservative in the first round, miss on qbs in the 2nd and 4th rounds, and sign veteran qbs for 'leadership'.  mccags is gunshy.

Macc's only knock is he listens to Bowles. He gives Bowles the pieces he "needs" in the order he "needs" them. 

The root problem is Bowles doesn't know what he needs.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No. Because changing could lead to worse results. At some point there will come a time when Maccagnan work would be so low that there is no risk in switching. We are not at that point yet. We may be at that point next year

Josh McCown is 14th in passing yards.

Josh McCown is 2nd in completion percentage.

Josh McCown is 10th in TDs.

Josh McCown is 15th in YPA.

Josh McCown is 19th in YPG.

Josh McCown is 8th in INTs.

As you have clearly stated that your logic is that you should not make a change until there is no risk that things could get worse, please explain to me why you would change QBs next season, as, it could clearly get a lot worse at the position.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Josh McCown is 14th in passing yards.

Josh McCown is 2nd in completion percentage.

Josh McCown is 10th in TDs.

Josh McCown is 15th in YPA.

Josh McCown is 19th in YPG.

Josh McCown is 8th in INTs.

As you have clearly stated that your logic is that you should not make a change until there is no risk that things could get worse, please explain to me why you would change QBs next season, as, it could clearly get a lot worse at the position.

The logic would work if QB stats actually had real value in the league. His age and the team's record negate that logic.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So why do many sites incuding this one give him a B for this draft?

didnt understand it then or now-you dont draft and build around safety when you have no qb-football 101 most important position on field is the qb

Archived