How much criticism should Macc be getting for whiffing on Watson?

Pointdexter

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If you are asking for my opinion, I think Watson would have been a HUGE reach at 6...bigger than Trubinsky was for the Bears.

The majority of stuff I read on him had me thinking he would have been a better 2nd round risk.  Perhaps that is why I am not that upset by Mac not picking him.  If I had more time, I would watch more college stuff to judge myself...alas. 

Again, when a team needs a QB, all the talk will center around it until one is found, no matter who is doing the picking.

Actually at no point was I asking your opinion as to whom you think is or isn’t a reach. The NFL isn’t the CFL, nor is it hockey, curling, tapping maple trees, etc. ;) 

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The between the lines of the Cimini article suggests Bowles didnt feel like coaching a rookie QB. They also had Trubisky as their top rated QB. 

It didnt suggest that at all. It said if Trubisky was there at 6, that was the pick. It said Mac was not high on WAtson and Mahomes at 6. But right on que, twist an article which already seems full of conjecture and create more.

55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually at no point was I asking your opinion as to whom you think is or isn’t a reach. The NFL isn’t the CFL, nor is it hockey, curling, tapping maple trees, etc. ;) 

Glad to see we are still friends.....

And you're right, the NFL isn't as good as hockey...or maple syrup, for that matter.

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

It didnt suggest that at all. It said if Trubisky was there at 6, that was the pick. It said Mac was not high on WAtson and Mahomes at 6. But right on que, twist an article which already seems full of conjecture and create more.

We are starting Josh Mccown a year after starting Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not sure how much more evidence we need to see Bowles doesnt care for young QB's. Nor does he seem to get the most important part of his job is finding one.

53 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

God, another one out of the woodwork. 

Let's just end this one.  You're right. That's EXACTLY what I said.

Look 10 other teams passed on Watson of course the jets were like 1 of 3 that desperately needed an actual NFL qb but whatever we got a safety

23 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

yet, every year there are qbs who come into the nfl who show promise and are competent.  prescott, dalton, garropolo, carr, bridgewater, cousins, wilson, all not first rounders.  the jets decision makers are truly afraid of making a mistake at qb, but all they're showing is they're not up to the task.  i have no doubt mccags will go after cousins like a mo fo, b/c that would be the easy way out, he could still draft his BAP and take a LT in the first round, and never risk failing or succeeding by drafting a potential franchise qb.  i'm also beginning to wonder if the flawed power structure on the jets is discouraging him from drafting  a qb that high, since bowles may not play him anyway, and mccags can't fire bowles.

I think this is pretty much spot on.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Yep.  Just like Todd didnt want Lynch.  It's clear as day, Todd doesnt want to waste his time developing a QB.  

They're talking about it on local radio too laughing hysterically at how stupid the Jets are.  They had Trubisky rated higher.  Un-*******-real.  This dude is an absolute dope.  They thought Watson was a "decent" prospect who needed developing?  WTF?  What is Trubisky?  And apparently they were already developing Petty and Hackenberg.

Cant make this sh*t up.  This ******* franchise.  Un-*******-real.  

imagine Watson sitting on the bench all season because McCown "gives us the best chance to win".   

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

We are starting Josh Mccown a year after starting Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not sure how much more evidence we need to see Bowles doesnt care for young QB's. Nor does he seem to get the most important part of his job is finding one.

If you want to take the article as fact, it says Bowles loved Watson.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The football gods have given all the franchises who passed him an escape clause 

I think the football gods were offended by all the praise he'd been getting.

Tough year for injuries it seems, lots of "big names" going down.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 11:20 AM, jetrider said:

Watson found the right team, right OC/HC, right system, right environment.

Anyone who thinks his situation in Houston transfers to Flo Park with a floundering-D HC and a rookie OC needs to pull their head out fast. 

That's number 1.

Number 2, Jets locked up McCown before the draft. Bowles had every intention of starting him to sweep the QB issue under the rug and dodge the task of developing one – something he's never done and never will. 

right.  even if watson was picked it is highly doubtful that bowles would've started him over mccnown.

On 11/1/2017 at 12:29 PM, gEYno said:

No, you really wouldn't think that.

What you'd think is that people are upset that after 3 years, we still have no QB, no pass-rusher, no #1 WR, no #1 RB, and no #1 CB.  Essentially, after 3 years, we have no one at any of the positions that matter in today's NFL.  Instead, we have loaded up at S and ILB, and while it's early, no evidence that we're getting great returns from those investments.  So, no, you shouldn't think it's about the Super Bowl, it's about a complete failure to be a better team than the one he took over.  Hypothetically, are the 2017 Jets beating the 2014 Jets?  Maybe, I don't think it's that clear.

Let me simplify - Year 3 of Mac, and Josh McCown is the QB and Matt Forte is the RB, but you think it's the Super Bowl that people are upset about?

The frustrating thing is all of these positions were there for the taking in Rounds 1-3 of the last three drafts. Mac just took the wrong players. Smith, Hackenberg, Mauldin have all been useless. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The frustrating thing is all of these positions were there for the taking in Rounds 1-3 of the last three drafts. Mac just took the wrong players. Smith, Hackenberg, Mauldin have all been useless. 

Very true. However two of the 3 are injury related. And blaming a GM for things out of his control is not fair. That’s why Hackenberg gets the focus of being his biggest blunder

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Very true. However two of the 3 are injury related. And blaming a GM for things out of his control is not fair. That’s why Hackenberg gets the focus of being his biggest blunder

Smith was awful every time he stepped on the field, he could not run routes, famously dropped a kick to help lose a game and was lost out there.

He drafted a guy in the 2nd round that he got as an UDFA, Anderson who runs go routes.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Smith was awful every time he stepped on the field, he could not run routes, famously dropped a kick to help lose a game and was lost out there.

He drafted a guy in the 2nd round that he got as an UDFA, Anderson who runs go routes.

Injuries limited his development. You can’t say he wouldn’t have learned. So that goes to injuries

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Logic. Injuries are something, barring a major history and /or mistreatment, that you can’t blame a higher up for.

It is illogical to do so.

A guy with a small frame for his position (making injury more likely), who, when healthy perfectly matched his scouting profile which stated that he had poor hands, runs poor routes, is too reliant on speed, struggles when defended, is weak, can't match up against physical corners, and doesn't run block, doesn't get a pass because he got hurt.

Same goes for Maudlin who does not have the athleticism to be a pass rusher.  Injuries don't change that.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Injuries limited his development. You can’t say he wouldn’t have learned. So that goes to injuries

You can say this about a guy like Dee Milliner, he started off slow, then looked great for about the last half dozen games of his rookie year.  He looked like a starting CB then  more injuries.

Devon Smith looked bad from day one when healthy, never looked like he was any good at any point in time at all. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Logic. Injuries are something, barring a major history and /or mistreatment, that you can’t blame a higher up for.

14 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Apologetics at it's best.

i disagree.. to say smith, as well as mauldin, haven't become competent NFL players is based on injuries, is playing devil's advocate at best & disingenuous at worst..

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

A guy with a small frame for his position (making injury more likely), who, when healthy perfectly matched his scouting profile which stated that he had poor hands, runs poor routes, is too reliant on speed, struggles when defended, is weak, can't match up against physical corners, and doesn't run block, doesn't get a pass because he got hurt.

Same goes for Maudlin who does not have the athleticism to be a pass rusher.  Injuries don't change that.

Maybe not, but that is a supposition. Great players can outplay physical deficiencies. Wayne Chrebet, John Randle etc. it will simply go into the books as “We’ll never know

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You can say this about a guy like Dee Milliner, he started off slow, then looked great for about the last half dozen games of his rookie year.  He looked like a starting CB then  more injuries.

Devon Smith looked bad from day one when healthy, never looked like he was any good at any point in time at all. 

But his development Time was robbed by injuries. That’s the point.

Milliner had an injury history which releases him from this law

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But his development Time was robbed by injuries. That’s the point.

Milliner had an injury history which releases him from this law

You have to show something early in your career even if you are not polished, he showed nothing at all.  Unlike the UDFA we picked up that showed speed and had reasonable hands and knew how to run by people.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

To be fair, Devin Smith was hospitalized with broken ribs and a punctured lung to start his rookie training camp, never had a chance after that...

July 31, 2015 - Smith, a second-round draft pick out of Ohio State, caught a long pass from Geno Smith that deflected off the hands of cornerback Marcus Williams. While Devin Smith was coming down, he was hit from behind by safety Jaiquawn Jarrett — and it appeared Smith's head and neck area took the brunt of it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jets-rookie-broken-ribs-devin-smith-miss-most-training-camp/18ch51eo8eavo1tnzzemp3kv94

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Maybe not, but that is a supposition. Great players can outplay physical deficiencies. Wayne Chrebet, John Randle etc. it will simply go into the books as “We’ll never know

Only in the mind of an apologist, of course.

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

To be fair, Devin Smith was hospitalized with broken ribs and a punctured lung to start his rookie training camp, never had a chance after that...

July 31, 2015 - Smith, a second-round draft pick out of Ohio State, caught a long pass from Geno Smith that deflected off the hands of cornerback Marcus Williams. While Devin Smith was coming down, he was hit from behind by safety Jaiquawn Jarrett — and it appeared Smith's head and neck area took the brunt of it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jets-rookie-broken-ribs-devin-smith-miss-most-training-camp/18ch51eo8eavo1tnzzemp3kv94

And who would think that a WR might take hits from a safety?  Who would possibly guess that a guy who was significantly undersized for the position might get hurt on one of those hits?  How could anyone have seen that coming?

Archived