How much criticism should Macc be getting for whiffing on Watson?

Pointdexter

18 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

To be fair, Devin Smith was hospitalized with broken ribs and a punctured lung to start his rookie training camp, never had a chance after that...

July 31, 2015 - Smith, a second-round draft pick out of Ohio State, caught a long pass from Geno Smith that deflected off the hands of cornerback Marcus Williams. While Devin Smith was coming down, he was hit from behind by safety Jaiquawn Jarrett — and it appeared Smith's head and neck area took the brunt of it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jets-rookie-broken-ribs-devin-smith-miss-most-training-camp/18ch51eo8eavo1tnzzemp3kv94

The games he played when healthy, when not hurt he stunk. 

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac could have love Watson for all we know - but didn't trust his durability, so passed.  That was personally my thinking.

As of now he would have been proved correct.  

We see guys like him all the time - great talent - make an impression early on but simply can't stay healthy.  Right now there's no reason to believe Watson will ever be able to make it through a full season.

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan had 3 years to get a decent QB here he has failed. 

He's also the reason we have $90M in cap and 4 picks in the top 80 to invest in the QB. He's given us an incredible amount of flexibility, if by the end of day 2 of the draft we don't have a QB then I'll be on board with this.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

He's also the reason we have $90M in cap and 4 picks in the top 80 to invest in the QB. He's given us an incredible amount of flexibility, if by the end of day 2 of the draft we don't have a QB then I'll be on board with this.

We are a bottom feeder NFL team until that changes bla bla bla,hoping for better days. 

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mac could have love Watson for all we know - but didn't trust his durability, so passed.  That was personally my thinking.

As of now he would have been proved correct.  

We see guys like him all the time - great talent - make an impression early on but simply can't stay healthy.  Right now there's no reason to believe Watson will ever be able to make it through a full season.

A noncontact knee injury in practice could and has happened to almost anyone. Or is your point super big brain Maccagnan knew this injury was coming? right.  Sadly his crystal ball wasn't working the day he picked Hackenberg rather than Prescott.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We are a bottom feeder NFL team until that changes bla bla bla,hoping for better days. 

What good does it do to harp on the bad? I'm all for being realistic but it's hard not to be excited for this off season and draft. Our team doesn't look devoid of all talent like most fans/experts predicted either so along with the resources to bring in a QB we also have additional resources to add pieces to surround the QB

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What good does it do to harp on the bad? I'm all for being realistic but it's hard not to be excited for this off season and draft. Our team doesn't look devoid of all talent like most fans/experts predicted either so along with the resources to bring in a QB we also have additional resources to add pieces to surround the QB

We have a decent team until we get a QB nothing else matters the thought process that a 38 yr old career loser was going to bring different results didn't work the first time so Mike Maccagnan tried it again, 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We have a decent team until we get a QB nothing else matters the thought process that a 38 yr old career loser was going to bring different results didn't work the first time so Mike Maccagnan tried it again, 

I don't think McCown was brought in to change our QB future. I think the thought was if Hack is worthy of starting he should beat out McCown, that didn't happen. McCown is capable of running the offense to grade the other players. If McCown offered nothing as a player he wouldn't still be in the league at 38.

14 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Is 3 years a long time to find a franchise QB? Dont most franchises need a QB and doesn't it take time or luck?

How about just a “decent” qb?  In 3 years Mac has failed to get one of those two and it’s not like they weren’t available in the draft and FA

On 11/22/2017 at 8:33 PM, bla bla bla said:

Eerily similar to year 1, when he, well....

A GM is not judged on an individual position. A GM certainly should not be judged based on taking or not taking one particular player. A GM is judged on the totality of the team. 

The totality of a team, in general, should be judged based on a season in whole. There are usually ebbs and flows with most teams during a season. That is why it is often careless to judge a work at a particular stretch. So in most times, unless it is extenuating circumstances, the GM is judged at the end of the season. 

Macc's report card from my subjective view:

Year 1- Some good things and some bad. A general positive season, but a bitter ending left many wanting. B-

Year 2- An abject failure. Difficult to take many positives about the team, and the GM appeared to have a false read on the team. D

Year 3- Some very good things have happened and the cohesion of the team appears better than it has in a number of years. There are some seemingly low key deals that have seemed to pay off well. Certainly an upswing and better overall feel than year 2. But what will this season end like? That will decide the ultimate grade. Incomplete.

This evaluation obviously does not go in depth, which can be done at a different time. We are also not privy to his "plan" and how he has laid it out to ownership. If his plan has followed script to the way he would build a team, then he gets more rope. If he has detoured and the plan has taken unforseen turns, he has less wiggle room.

It will be interesting to see how this team plays down the stretch, and if it can make gains from mid-season.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Eerily similar to year 1, when he, well....

I don't think there was a franchise QB available in FA and I don't think we had enough young pieces to surround a drafted QB. I'd have to imagine most if not all fans would take this roster over the one Rex left us with. The thought back then was give Geno some weapons and give him one last chance since he was stuck under Rex who was always criticized for not being able to coach an offense. I would be very surprised if we don't address the QB position with Cousins or a 1st round rookie this year.

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think there was a franchise QB available in FA and I don't think we had enough young pieces to surround a drafted QB. I'd have to imagine most if not all fans would take this roster over the one Rex left us with. The thought back then was give Geno some weapons and give him one last chance since he was stuck under Rex who was always criticized for not being able to coach an offense. I would be very surprised if we don't address the QB position with Cousins or a 1st round rookie this year.

I see no meaningful difference between this roster and the one from 3 years ago.

I also have no reason to believe Cousins will be our QB, I think he will be the Redskins QB.  I think we will take a QB, but it will either cost us our entire draft this year and next, or we'll get the 3rd or 4th option.  So, we'll either have a potentially top QB, but no means to add any talent around him, besides FA, which never works.  Or, we'll get the leftovers of what multiple QB needy teams didn't want.

Not exactly a prime situation.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I see no meaningful difference between this roster and the one from 3 years ago.

I also have no reason to believe Cousins will be our QB, I think he will be the Redskins QB.  I think we will take a QB, but it will either cost us our entire draft this year and next, or we'll get the 3rd or 4th option.  So, we'll either have a potentially top QB, but no means to add any talent around him, besides FA, which never works.  Or, we'll get the leftovers of what multiple QB needy teams didn't want.

Not exactly a prime situation.

That's your opinion I suppose, I'd much rather have our current roster than an old roster. I think the opportunities at QB are more plentiful this offseason than in year 1 too. Cousins' doesn't want to sign a long term deal with the Redskins so their option is to tag him or let him walk. I also think there is not a huge difference between the top 5 QBs in this class as there was with the QBs after Winston and Mariota.

I haven't heard much uproar on Dak lately.  

He's been exposed and Watson couldn't even last half a season. 

Once those running quarterback lose their knees, they're done.  

Four years of power spread at Clemson and hundreds of QB runs have taken their toll on the kid's body.

That's why I prefer a mobile qb who slides like Wilson.  That guy runs around every play, yet has a knack of getting down why it's time.

1 minute ago, August said:

I'm not mad that they passed on Watson. They drafted a quarterback the year before who they wanted to invest time into. It's understandable. 

You should be mad at who they drafted the year before.  Not getting Watson is one thing drafting a guy who has been hopeless since day one is where you should get your feet held to the fire.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I haven't heard much uproar on Dak lately.  

He's been exposed and Watson couldn't even last half a season. 

Once those running quarterback lose their knees, they're done.  

Four years of power spread at Clemson and hundreds of QB runs have taken their toll on the kid's body.

That's why I prefer a mobile qb who slides like Wilson.  That guy runs around every play, yet has a knack of getting down why it's time.

He's been exposed, lol.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He's Mark Sanchez.  Give him the best oline in football, a bunch or weapons, and a great back and he'll manage the game.. make a couple of "wow" plays.

Take one of those away and he turns the ball over in mass numbers.

Player 1, Rookie Year: 12 TDs, 20 INTs, 53.8%, 162.9 YPG

Player 2, Rookie Year: 23 TDs, 4 INTs, 67.8%, 229.2 YPG

It's almost indistinguishable!

I think Macc passing on Watson is a hang nail compared to the right arm amputation at the shoulder drafting Christian Hackenburgh in the second round was. In theory after taken Hackenburgh he should have been removed fromany discussion of taking and any QB anyplace a any time until he breathes his last breathe. Just finished new season of GOT! So awesome 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You should be mad at who they drafted the year before.  Not getting Watson is one thing drafting a guy who has been hopeless since day one is where you should get your feet held to the fire.

That's a different argument 

Archived