How much criticism should Macc be getting for whiffing on Watson?

Pointdexter

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very tricky question....

First off, how much credit does he get for not taking Paxton Lynch? Does he get credit yet for Paxton Lynch? Does he get credit at all for it since supposedly it was Bowles who did not want him? Or does Bowles get the credit? Or is it too early to write off Lynch? ( I think so)

Had they taken Lynch with their 1st rounder last year, would it have been realistic to take a high 1st round QB after taking a 1st round QB the year before who was considered a dev project?

Many Jets fans were pounding the table for Lynch...

If Bowles gets credit for not taking Lynch, was he also behind not taking Watson? 

Its really hard to look at these things in a vacuum like many want to do.

Just now, NoBowles said:

This is correct.  So, basically, we should probably get rid of the two guys who are responsible for, after 3 seasons, Josh McCown being the best QB on the roster by far, and bring in 2 other guys who may actually value the position correctly.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

This is a very tricky question....

First off, how much credit does he get for not taking Paxton Lynch? Does he get credit yet for Paxton Lynch? Does he get credit at all for it since supposedly it was Bowles who did not want him? Or does Bowles get the credit? Or is it too early to write off Lynch? ( I think so)

Had they taken Lynch with their 1st rounder last year, would it have been realistic to take a high 1st round QB after taking a 1st round QB the year before who was considered a dev project?

Many Jets fans were pounding the table for Lynch...

If Bowles gets credit for not taking Lynch, was he also behind not taking Watson? 

that's just it, mccags won't find a watson b/c he's too afraid of taking a lynch.  that's why we end up with petty/hack/mccown/fitzpatrick.  i'd rather have tanny make the picks, at least we have a SHOT of getting a good qb.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

There were plenty of "experts" (I still laugh that people think there are actually experts out there), that had Watson being a great pro.  His coach called him Michael Jordan.  Gruden loved him.  Cant remember the other "expert" who called him Mariota but better...but the point is, there were plenty that believed in Watson.  Namely the Houston Texans.

The problem was with a player like him, the "experts" wanted to look smart.  He doesn't take snaps from under center (no college Qb does), he doesn't come from a pro system (3 college QB's play in a pro system), 49 mph (lmfao), he's not accurate (completed 70% of his college passes), he's a run first QB (has 42 passing TD's his senior year).  It was all made up bull sh*t by morons who's job is to create hot takes and out smart the other blow hard employed at the other media outlet.  The draft process has become exactly that.  That's why a player trying to do something no player has ever done before, was drafted 2nd overall instead of just taking the safe bet in Watson.  

Jets fans need to realize something.  These experts that you cling to every word (tanking, 0-16, Watson sucks. Trubisky good), are morons that don't know anymore than you or I.  

What is his coach suppose to say?  Yeah, Gruden loved him.  Have you seen the video of him working with Hackenberg and how much he LOVED him as a prospect?  I trust the opinions of guys like Mike Mayock and Todd McShay over fan-site experts.

I also trust scouting reports that are written, discussed, and analyzed.  NONE had him going higher than where he was picked.  It was written at great extent how polarizing the opinions were on this guy.  Some had him the next big thing, some had him as the next big bust.  I don't care who is sitting in the GM chair, I would not blame a guy for pulling the trigger with the 6th overall pick, the stench of Vernon Ghoulston still hanging in the war-room air, after he completely overreached the year before on Hackenberg.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Now this statement that Macc is gunshy about taking a QB is very interesting and it may end up being true. That would be a concern and I think it will show this year if it is valid or not

he's got one more chance.  people become gms of bad teams that don't have qbs, and they remain the gm if they find a qb.  i can't remember a gm who did not take a qb in the first round of his first 4 years as gm of a team that had no qb.  when does he try?

Here is another perspective...I was PISSED when we took Darren Lee over Paxton Lynch.  Picking 18th, why NOT take a chance on a guy that fell that far.  While Darren Lee is no pro-bowler, and may well never be, he has been playing much better as of late.  Lynch on the other hand, can't beat out Trevor Siemien.  TREVOR SIEMIEN. 

Do you give Mac credit for passing on that one?  It can work both ways. 

Cue this as a homer-esque defense of Mac's complete inability to GM in 5-4-3-2-1.....

Just now, Augustiniak said:

he's got one more chance.  people become gms of bad teams that don't have qbs, and they remain the gm if they find a qb.  i can't remember a gm who did not take a qb in the first round of his first 4 years as gm of a team that had no qb.  when does he try?

I agree. This will have to be the year. It's great that instead of pointing fingers and trying to be actively negative, we can actually converse like this. It's a very interesting hypothesis

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I agree. This will have to be the year. It's great that instead of pointing fingers and trying to be actively negative, we can actually converse like this. It's a very interesting hypothesis

he knows that bowles won't play his scrub qb draft picks if he's got guys like mccown to fall back on.  gms don't keep their jobs by finding good safeties.  

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If there is a way to find disappointment, Jets fans will seek it actively.

Really have to search under every rock to find disappointment with the Josh McCown led 2017 Jets.

Once again, your aggressive and yet baseless condemnation of Jets fans says a lot more about you than it does about the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Considering you can't actually support your point without just repeating it in a slightly different way, baseless fits like a glove.

You proved my point with what I said before. I said the Jets offense was better than it was under late Rex. You agreed with that statement but said it was still bad. 

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if mccags had drafted watson, he would have flashed in preseason, then bowles would have started mccown and the media would be wondering when watson would get his shot.  if the season played out like this, where would this team be - nowhere again.  and mccags isn't doing himself any favors by signing fitz and mccown, it's as if he knows the qbs he drafts aren't starting caliber qbs so he hedges his bets right away.  when you look at his entire approach to the qb position, it suggests he has minimal confidence in his ability to draft a competent qb, which is why i think the jets will hard after cousins.  then mccags can continue to draft low risk players, like a LT in the first round, so he can point a low bust rate.

This is hypothetical.  And if Todd did do this, cool.  Fire his ass next season and begin to play Watson.  It's not like you're only getting Watson for only this season.  And if this is how the team is operating, then this whole debate is pointless because we're being led by the biggest morons on the planet.  

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Because we are a QB-less team, and we took a strong safety with okay potential who you couldn't call good yet, over a QB who is showing great potential.

Yes and here it is again. Instead of looking at the positive of what we have, you jump to the negative.

IT goes back to the wives.

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If there is a way to find disappointment, Jets fans will seek it actively.

Yes.  Jets fans have to seek disappointment.  It doesn't come with the territory or anything like that.  Jets fans physically have to go seek disappointment because the team never provides any disappointment its own. 

Whofans, thanks for this hot take. 

Just now, JiF said:

Yes.  Jets fans have to seek disappointment.  It doesn't come with the territory or anything like that.  Jets fans physically have to go seek disappointment because the team never provides any disappointment its own. 

Whofans, thanks for this hot take. 

Yep. They are so used to the team providing disappointment that when something actually looks good on the team, they ignore it and go to the negative

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't blame him for whiffing on watson as much as I totally blame him for taking Hackenburg.

That I think is the right angle to look at this. It all goes back to Hackenberg.

In fact even if they dont take Hackenberg, I would surmise that they would have taken another QB in that draft and not take a QB in the next one.

Watson was the third QB taken. He didn't whiff on him and if he would've taken Watson this place would have gone ballistic. He also would be on a team with significantly less talent. He's in a good situation in Houston - let's see if it lasts.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He will deserve some if Watson turns into a consistent franchise QB and goes to a Super Bowl (barring of course that MAcc doesnt get us a similar QB in this draft)

The problem is that people are too willing to jump on board the hate train when it's been 7 games and despite Watson being great, the Texans are 3-4

Yeah, find another reason they are three and four besides Deshaun Watson. Look for it. Don't be lazy.

Archived