How much criticism should Macc be getting for whiffing on Watson?

Pointdexter

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Is it as classic as the legend of Teh Falcon? I remember hearing references of that when I joined here and I went back to find old threads of that. Classic stuff.

Dude PM'd me multiple times trying to get me to come to a parking lot (or something like that) on Staten Island to fight him.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gEYno said:

Dude PM'd me multiple times trying to get me to come to a parking lot (or something like that) on Staten Island to fight him.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! That's awesome. And I mean that in a bad way.

That happened just a couple of weeks ago where someone posted their address and wanting someone else to come fight. Hilarious stuff.

I know that finding good, quality long-term players in the draft is far from a sure thing, especially at the QB position, and I know that good GMs and scouts make mistakes on a regular basis. I've seen the lists that people post of all the failed draft picks from the more respected GMs and franchises over the years. I get that. But, from what we've seen from Macc over these past three drafts, it looks less and less like a good GM making a bad pick, and more like a bad GM who doesn't know how to make a good pick, and where it's hurt the team the most is at the QB position.

A narrative that I heard a lot before the season began, defended Macc by saying that Josh McCown was never meant to be the starter. Macc meant for Hack to emerge as the clear number one, but that didn't happen, so it's not really Macc's fault. Strikingly similar to when, in 2015, people said that Fitzpatrick was never meant to be the starter, but only was because Geno got punched. Again, out of Macc's control. Well, when does Macc get the blame? And back to Hackenberg: It's not like they went with him and moved on after half a season of sh*tty play. Not even after a few games of sh*tty play. The powers that be decided pretty damn quickly that Hack was not ready to start, and if it was so damn easy for them to put Hack aside, how on Earth could Macc have been so comfortable with the QB position, as to completely pass on any and all in 2017 draft. It boggles the mind.

Mac deserves full blame for DW. Hindsight or not, DW was considered a top QB prospect. Maybe not the best, but one of the top nonetheless. And we were in dire need of a QB he passed on DW. How is that not on Mac?

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Umm, yes he did. WhenDevin played his rookie year, it was a mess. 

I understand that injuries happen to all teams, and it's not something that can be accurately predicted to plan for, but it's becoming way too routine for his draft picks to end up and stay stuck on IR. That's either an indictment on Macc and the scouts, or on the conditioning team in the facility.

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I understand that injuries happen to all teams, and it's not something that can be accurately predicted to plan for, but it's becoming way too routine for his draft picks to end up and stay stuck on IR. That's either an indictment on Macc and the scouts, or on the conditioning team in the facility.

I don't judge GM based on injuries but rather on the talent. Injury prone players tend to come at a decent draft value for the most part. But DS showed no signs of improvement. Neither has Hack. Good GMs don't eff up 2nd rounders like that. Both those guys will be out of football ina a year or two or have minimal roles. You're right. Mac looks like a bad GM who can't make a good pick and not the other way around. 

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, imagine if we’d reached for Watson at 6. Boy, would our faces be red

Well, there will be a GM position open up soon for the Jets, the 4th in less than a decade.  And since you can OBVIOUSLY spot talent that no one else can, perhaps you should apply!

Cool.

No offense, but I think I would like to see KRL play GM.  Warfish would DEFINITELY be the owner.  I get a pissed-off Scottish vibe from him.  He would call the shots like Jerry Jones.

Sperm Edwards would be our PR rep.  He can spin a yarn (in a GOOD way).  Tom Shane would be the official color analyst. 

40 minutes ago, j4jets said:

IGood GMs don't eff up 2nd rounders like that.

Adrian Klemm, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Marquise Hill, Terrence Wheatley, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Ras I Dowling, Shane Vereen, Jordan Richards.

Bill Bellichick says hi.....

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Adrian Klemm, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Marquise Hill, Terrence Wheatley, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Ras I Dowling, Shane Vereen, Jordan Richards.

And Tom Brady says **** you to the Jets every Sunday. That's the only pick that defines Belichick. If Mac ever licks into drafting a Brady, his **** ups can be forgiven. Until then, he needs to have a solid track record of the draft, where his expertise apparently lies. 

Just now, j4jets said:

And Tom Brady says **** you to the Jets every Sunday. That's the only pick that defines Belichick. If Mac ever licks into drafting a Brady, his **** ups can be forgiven. Until then, he needs to have a solid track record of the draft, where his expertise apparently lies. 

Oh I see......Good GM's don't wiff on 2nd round picks (as per you) like Belichick has, but when you luck into a QB in the 6th round that all 31 other NFL teams passed on at least 5 times, you are genius and we forgive all those 2nd rounders you did wiff on, because you are a genius.

I will hand it to the Mac haters....you are all pretty consistent. 

It's moot no one thought Watson was any good. Also Bowles would have played McCown anyway. Watson would not have seen the field.

Macc's got one more year. Woody will have made it clear, "We get a QB!" Everyone knows we are drafting one or signing Cousins.

The BAP bull sh*t is out of the window next year. No picks for the D until round 3 min!

Green Jets and Ham is/was the greatest poster in the history of message boards. He was a heck of a writer.

The pig is ripe for the slaughter thread had me convinced the Patriots were ready to enter the bbq pit back in 04.  13 years later they're still whooping our asses!  

Thank God we have Hack!  Next year we sharpen the knives.....

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Bill B says hi I can take anyones roster and win ten games.............every year.

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Oh I see......Good GM's don't wiff on 2nd round picks (as per you) like Belichick has, but when you luck into a QB in the 6th round that all 31 other NFL teams passed on at least 5 times, you are genius and we forgive all those 2nd rounders you did wiff on, because you are a genius.

Like I said, when Mac drafts a Brady, all his incompetencies can be masked. Until then, he's no better than a Belichick pre-Brady era. 

Am I the only person who believes that to find a QB you need LUCK?

Teams spend millions of dollars on GMs and scouts and they run these QBs through workouts and background checks and everything else but in the end, if they find a QB, they got LUCKY. 

There has only been 2 occasions in my football watching lifetime that the consensus #1 cant miss QB worked out, Peyton and Luck. Everyone else who got a QB in the draft got lucky.

Draftniks, draft experts, and especially fans on here. If you were praying and hoping the Jets drafted Watson, you were lucky because you are wrong most of the time just like the pros.

Brady was passed over and over till the 6th round. Rogers was the 2nd QB taken and went at the end of the 1st round. Brees was taken in the 2nd round. Those are the 3 most prolific passers in the game today. 

Texans got lucky with Watson. This is the same team, coaches, management, that signed Brock Osweiler to big money to be there starting QB and had to give up draft capital in a trade just to get rid of him. 

It probably has to do with not having a real metric when measuring QBs. There is so much translation to what you're seeing and nothing definitive. 

Example after example of how lucky a team was to get a solid/franchise QB. So fans claiming Watson was a no brainer and you knew he was going to be great stop. You got lucky, just like the paid professionals have to get lucky.

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I don't get the Mac's ball washing part. Please explain why you're on your knees?

A TON OF CRITICISM!  Watson was winner in college, had the stats to match and we are a QB starved team.  If the selection was not made due to seeing what they have in Hackenberg, he should be fired immediately.  Also, with Bowles playing the vets, the young guys are not getting experience, so where is the evaluation there?  Total disconnect from top to bottom. 

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, there will be a GM position open up soon for the Jets, the 4th in less than a decade.  And since you can OBVIOUSLY spot talent that no one else can, perhaps you should apply!

The sad sad sad truth is that over the last 5 or 6 years you could take any poster that hangs out in the draft forum and they would have picked better players than the idzik, mac tandem.

Archived