49ers Trading CB Rashard Robinson to Jets

Robinson attended Louisiana State University, where he played two seasons of college football for the LSU Tigers and had one interception and 30 tackles in 15 games.

Robinson was suspended indefinitely from LSU's football team midway through the 2014 season due to a failed drug test and substandard academics. After missing a semester, he was arrested in June 2015 for unauthorized entry into a teammate's apartment and was not allowed to re-enroll. He returned to Florida and enrolled at Broward College, where he began training for the NFL Draft.

Professional career

Robinson was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round, 133rd overall, in the 2016 NFL Draft. Robinson made his first interception off of quarterback Jared Goff on December 24, 2016, which helped the 49ers get their second and final win of the 2016 season.

On September 10, 2017, in the season opener against the Carolina Panthers, Robinson forced a fumble off of running back Christian McCaffrey and recovered it to give the 49ers possession early in the fourth quarter. Against the Washington Redskins, Robinson made his second interception off of quarterback Kirk Cousins on October 15, 2017.

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Played w/Adams...

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Robinson has just 8 career starts under his belt, but that tells you what the 49ers think about his upside. Robinson is a long, press corner leaking with talent. If he stayed clean off the field, he's likely a top 40 pick. There are plenty of question marks, but he's an early candidate for steal of the draft. --Mark Dulgerian

6'1"HEIGHT

32 1/4"ARM LENGTH

171LBS.WEIGHT

9"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Robinson's talent was never an issue during his time in Baton Rouge, but staying on the field was problematic. He barely made the deadline for eligibility before his freshman season, but ended up playing in 12 games with two starts (16 tackles, interception, three pass break-ups). In 2014, he was not allowed to dress for the season opener against Wisconsin and started six of eight games played (17 tackles, one pass breakup) before being suspended indefinitely in November. Head coach Les Miles never reinstated Robinson for the 2015 season, so the defender sat out the season instead of transferring to another school. Without hope of re-joining the team in 2016, he entered the NFL draft as an early entrant.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds 
Vertical: 34 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 10 feet 
Short shuttle: 4.44 seconds 
3-cone: 7.31 seconds 
Bench: 5 reps of 225 pounds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Tremendously long athlete with cover skills to blanket his target in press-man. Recovery speed allows him to sit on short and intermediate routes. Can flip hips and accelerate with his man down the field. Smooth change of speed to mirror double movers. Thin, but not soft. Plays to his height and it often spells doom when he has receivers pinned against the sideline. In 2013, held then-Aggie Mike Evans to four catches for 51 yards. Willing to do his part when he has to tackle. Explosive from stand­still and can close quickly on throws or receivers.

WEAKNESSES

Due to off­-field issues, has limited game experience and ball production. Feet become impatient from press and he opens early at the first sign of a head fake. Spindly legs may be close to maxed out in terms of size. Run support may be an issue when he has to disengage against NFL size. Arrested in June of 2015 and charged with unauthorized entry in connection with a theft from the apartment of one of Robinson's former teammates. Has admitted to being "selfish" while at LSU.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 6 or 7

SOURCES TELL US

"I'm not sure he's a bad kid, but I know he hates school. He's really tough -- ­typical south Florida kid. You know what you get. The interviews will work themselves out for better or worse, but you keep things simple for him and let him chase one guy around the field all day. He's really good at that." -- Former SEC defensive coach

NFL COMPARISON

Dominique Rodgers-­Cromartie

BOTTOM LINE

He might look like he skipped "leg day" for several years, but his height, speed and man-­cover talent is undeniable. Robinson has the traits and talent to be considered one of the best press corners in this draft, but teams will have to weigh the character against the talent. Look for an electric combine which could create new buzz around the former LSU Tiger. Robinson has the raw ability to become a good NFL starter who can play on an island if asked, but I am downgrading his draft grade due to his character concerns.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Well if Bowles didn't know about it then we have a problem, and the guy will probably not see the field.  At the very least he should have been called and told about it before the media.  (And I'm saying this as a guy who has no use for bowles.)

I love it.....this is heading in the direction it should be Todd Bowles will be fired sooner than later. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

To review, in the same season Macc drafted 2 safeties and 2 corners, he’s had to resort to trading more assets to acquire a corner and a safety. That’s 3 years after dropping a boatload of money on the secondary. 

Why, again, is this man gainfully employed?

Well obviously, despite him not knowing anything about this, it must all be Bowles' fault.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'll be the outlier and say that I really like this move depending upon what we gave up for him. I really liked Robinson's tape coming out of college and thought he had a lot of talent for a press coverage system (which is what Bowles runs). Robinson started as a rookie last year, which is impressive for a 4th round pick. A new coaching staff came in this year, likely switched up the scheme to something that didn't match Robinson's talents and he struggled badly. He is a good fit for what Bowles likes to do on defense. Additionally, Jamal Adams was an ex teammate at LSU and hopefully Claiborne (another ex LSU CB) can be a good mentor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

they have an extra 5th rounder from dallas.

i imagine they're hoping adams can keep this kid in line.  leadership, leadership, leade....

I was kind of hoping they would save picks (and maybe even acquire more) in case they needed amunition to trade up for a QB.