Shefter: NFL rejected Browns request to overturn AJ McCarron trade

C Mart

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter  

NFL rejected Browns request to overturn AJ McCarron trade. Even though Browns’ notification of trade arrived moments too late, NFL said no.

Browns disputed proposed AJ McCarron trade to NFL, arguing it should be allowed, per source. NFL declined - no trade, officially, per source

Bengals and Browns actually agreed to AJ McCarron trade at 3:55 pm, per source involved. Bengals approved trade to NFL, Browns did not.

Bengals and Browns thought they beat the clock on AJ McCarron trade. Clock beat them. Close but no deal.

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns and Bengals agreed to a trade for Bengals backup quarterback AJ McCarron at 3:55 on Tuesday, but the Browns failed to approve the trade in time, according to a report.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the two AFC North foes worked out a deal five minutes before the 4 p.m. trade deadline, and that the Bengals approved it to NFL in time but the Browns did not.

The Browns argued that the trade should be allowed, but the NFL rejected their request to push it through.

The Browns had no immediate comment on the report.

Browns coach Hue Jackson had pushed for McCarron in the offseason after it became apparent that they weren't going to land New England backup Jimmy Garoppolo, who was traded Monday to the 49ers for a 2018 second-round pick.

The Browns worked the phones all day, but didn't execute any trades.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/browns_failed_to_approve_trade.html

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns and Bengals agreed to a trade for Bengals backup quarterback AJ McCarron at 3:55 on Tuesday, but the Browns failed to approve the trade in time, according to a report.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the two AFC North foes worked out a deal five minutes before the 4 p.m. trade deadline, and that the Bengals approved it to NFL in time but the Browns did not.

The Browns argued that the trade should be allowed, but the NFL rejected their request to push it through.

The Browns had no immediate comment on the report.

Browns coach Hue Jackson had pushed for McCarron in the offseason after it became apparent that they weren't going to land New England backup Jimmy Garoppolo, who was traded Monday to the 49ers for a 2018 second-round pick.

The Browns worked the phones all day, but didn't execute any trades.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/browns_failed_to_approve_trade.html

wonder what the deal was supposed to be.  mccarron was supposed to be a decent qb.  i guess it means that the bengals will be committed  dalton.  i can't see them being able to re-sign mccarron since he's going into free agency.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

wonder what the deal was supposed to be.  mccarron was supposed to be a decent qb.  i guess it means that the bengals will be committed  dalton.  i can't see them being able to re-sign mccarron since he's going into free agency.

Just heard on Sirius. Reportedly a 2nd & 3rd. 

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the Browns would have sent a second and third-round pick to the Bengals in exchange for McCarron. 

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

wow.  considering garapolo was only a 2nd.  of course there was just about no way the bellichicken would trade to an afc team.

Currently, McCarron is set to become a restricted free agent in 2018 because he did not accrue enough active games to count toward free agency. 

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I guess these kids coming out in the draft aren't rated as high as every one thought.  The 0-8 teams are willing to trade for QBs already in the league.

Interesting point.  I am really starting to warm up to the Northwestern kid, Thorson.

54 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Just heard on Sirius. Reportedly a 2nd & 3rd. 

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the Browns would have sent a second and third-round pick to the Bengals in exchange for McCarron. 

A 2nd AND a 3rd? Talk about insane. The NFL did the Browns and favor....talk about being desperate.

14 hours ago, section314 said:

Interesting point.  I am really starting to warm up to the Northwestern kid, Thorson.

I am not trying to knock him completely off the radar, but this article should be read and then take into account that this guy covers this team. I have heard the raving about Thorson and how he is supposed to sneak up draft boards, when I watch video of him I don't really see a FQB, I see a decent QB maybe.... I only pasted a few lined from the article below, but the link is there for full read

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2017/10/12/sports/football/schuman-honest-assessment-clayton-thorson/

"the time is right to separate perceptions from performance. And though it pains me to use such a cliche, it might be time to admit that Thorson simply doesn’t have the “it” factor that sets apart great quarterbacks from the rest.

Everybody defines “it” in their own way. Mine is a simple test: When all else goes wrong on offense, can the quarterback elevate his play to carry his team across the line? It’s a particularly salient question for this Cats team, with major issues up and down the offense. To turn the season around, NU may well need those kinds of heroics from Thorson.

This season, Thorson hasn’t shown that ability. In NU’s three losses, he hasn’t been able to overcome the tough situations in which he’s found himself. His anticipation and field vision have been suspect, and he hasn’t shown much proclivity for evading pressure and keeping the offense moving when games are on the line. He’s taking sacks at a higher rate than last season, and he’s thrown seven picks after tossing nine in all of 2016. Racking up stats against overmatched opponents like Nevada and Bowling Green doesn’t erase the flaws Thorson has shown the rest of the year.

Thorson is a mirror. Given a good day by the offensive line, an effective rushing attack, separation from his receivers and a smart game plan, Thorson can make the plays to win games. Without those things, he’s liable to make as many back-breaking mistakes as good throws.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

I am not trying to knock him completely off the radar, but this article should be read and then take into account that this guy covers this team. I have heard the raving about Thorson and how he is supposed to sneak up draft boards, when I watch video of him I don't really see a FQB, I see a decent QB maybe.... 

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2017/10/12/sports/football/schuman-honest-assessment-clayton-thorson/

"the time is right to separate perceptions from performance. And though it pains me to use such a cliche, it might be time to admit that Thorson simply doesn’t have the “it” factor that sets apart great quarterbacks from the rest.

Everybody defines “it” in their own way. Mine is a simple test: When all else goes wrong on offense, can the quarterback elevate his play to carry his team across the line? It’s a particularly salient question for this Cats team, with major issues up and down the offense. To turn the season around, NU may well need those kinds of heroics from Thorson.

This season, Thorson hasn’t shown that ability. In NU’s three losses, he hasn’t been able to overcome the tough situations in which he’s found himself. His anticipation and field vision have been suspect, and he hasn’t shown much proclivity for evading pressure and keeping the offense moving when games are on the line. He’s taking sacks at a higher rate than last season, and he’s thrown seven picks after tossing nine in all of 2016. Racking up stats against overmatched opponents like Nevada and Bowling Green doesn’t erase the flaws Thorson has shown the rest of the year.

Thorson is a mirror. Given a good day by the offensive line, an effective rushing attack, separation from his receivers and a smart game plan, Thorson can make the plays to win games. Without those things, he’s liable to make as many back-breaking mistakes as good throws.

This was two weeks before Thorson led them to wins over Maryland and Michigan State. Threw for 400 yards vs a very good Michigan State defense. Like to read that kid's assessment now.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

This was two weeks before Thorson led them to wins over Maryland and Michigan State. Threw for 400 yards vs a very good Michigan State defense. Like to read that kid's assessment now.

3 overtimes to get him to his "best career stats" I just am not that impressed when I watch him. He makes the plays that are there but doesn't seem to make an special plays. The maryland game, yeah they won but he looked McCown"esque" - Jackson carried Northwestern that game.

Like I said, I am not saying he shouldn't be considered, but I don't personally think he is going to be the FQB for any team.

On Thorson, he currently has 10 TD passes with 9 interceptions.  

The only reason people are looking at him is because Darnold and Rosen have performed below expectations.

Yes they both have underperformed, but both of their numbers are light years ahead of Thorson.

Darnold - 2,558 yards, 62.5%, 18-11

Rosen - 2,713, 63.1, 20-8

Thorson - 2,044, 61.4, 10-9

All three guys have been playing teams that have better talent and are better coached.  But I would be surprised if Thorson’s projections improved enough for him to forego his senior season.

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The only reason people are looking at him is because Darnold and Rosen have performed below expectations.

Yes they both have underperformed, but both of their numbers are light years ahead of Thorson.

All three guys have been playing teams that have better talent and are better coached.  But I would be surprised if Thorson’s projections improved enough for him to forego his senior season.

Light years? 

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

Think he is referring to TD-INT ratio .... also Thorson's INT's look a lot like Geno's

I know people that would have trouble parking in a space the size of that light year.  Those stats are actually fairly similar. Yes Thorson has worse stats, no they are not in another world.  A few hundred yards and worse TD:INT is not light years. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I know people that would have trouble parking in a space the size of that light year.  Those stats are actually fairly similar. Yes Thorson has worse stats, no they are not in another world.  A few hundred yards and worse TD:INT is not light years. 

lol

28 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Good post. Time will tell, I just have been impressed with him. 

Archived