Jets Deal for Robinson Makes Perfect Sense

JetNation

Rashard-Robinson.jpg

While some Jets fans may be scratching their heads in trying to figure out exactly why Gang Green sent a fifth-round draft choice to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for penalty-prone cornerback Rashard Robinson, the deal makes perfect sense for a few reasons.

Let’s get what is realistically the least important reason out of the way and address the team’s lack of depth at the position for the very immediate future.

In the concussion protocol or not, the Jets needed to make an effort to replace the currently injured Buster Skrine.  In addition to Skrine, injury-prone Morris Claiborne’s status for Thursday’s game against the Bills is up in the air as he nurses a sore foot.

If Skrine and Claiborne can’t go, the Jets would be one injury away from having to give sixth-round project cornerback Derrick Jones some significant playing time.  That’s not something Todd Bowles is interested in doing at this point in time.  Robinson’s presence adds another body to the rotation.

Now, on to what really matters in regards to making a move for Robinson.

• Value: Robinson has struggled with penalties, but his 6′ 2” height combined with his physicality and 4.49 speed were good enough to make him a fourth round draft pick despite earning a suspension during his time in college for violating team rules.  If the Jets pulled the trigger on this deal, you’d have to believe that the grade they have on Robinson is greater than any cornerback they think they can snag in the fifth round.
  • Youth: A good number of fans were in hysterics over the deal, wondering why the Jets would be moving draft picks in exchange for players in year-one of a re-build.  However, it’s not as if the Jets went out and acquired a 26-year old never-was.  They got a player who has fewer than two full NFL seasons under his belt and can absolutely be part of a the long-term future if he pans out.
  • Support: The acquisition of Robinson gives him a clean slate with the Jets who will give the corner a fresh start.  While the colors and surroundings in Florham Park may be different, there will be some familiarity.  Robinson played alongside Jets rookie safety Jamal Adams at LSU so the two should work well together.  Not that you would expect him to say any different, but Adams has already cited Robinson’s physical attributes as a reason why he has a chance to succeed as an NFL cornerback.  Whether or not he’s right remains to be seen.

So while Jets fans will have to wait and see if Robinson fulfils his potential, anyone asking why need look no further and wonder no more.  Grabbing a 22-year old cornerback with a great size/speed combo on a team that lacks much established talent at the position makes perfect sense no matter how you slice it.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
IcxkIL23y1g

Click here to read the full story...

28 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Rashard-Robinson.jpg

While some Jets fans may be scratching their heads in trying to figure out exactly why Gang Green sent a fifth-round draft choice to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for penalty-prone cornerback Rashard Robinson, the deal makes perfect sense for a few reasons.

Let’s get what is realistically the least important reason out of the way and address the team’s lack of depth at the position for the very immediate future.

In the concussion protocol or not, the Jets needed to make an effort to replace the currently injured Buster Skrine.  In addition to Skrine, injury-prone Morris Claiborne’s status for Thursday’s game against the Bills is up in the air as he nurses a sore foot.

If Skrine and Claiborne can’t go, the Jets would be one injury away from having to give sixth-round project cornerback Derrick Jones some significant playing time.  That’s not something Todd Bowles is interested in doing at this point in time.  Robinson’s presence adds another body to the rotation.

• Value: Robinson has struggled with penalties, but his 6′ 2” height combined with his physicality and 4.49 speed were good enough to make him a fourth round draft pick despite earning a suspension during his time in college for violating team rules.  If the Jets pulled the trigger on this deal, you’d have to believe that the grade they have on Robinson is greater than any cornerback they think they can snag in the fifth round.
  • Youth: A good number of fans were in hysterics over the deal, wondering why the Jets would be moving draft picks in exchange for players in year-one of a re-build.  However, it’s not as if the Jets went out and acquired a 26-year old never-was.  They got a player who has fewer than two full NFL seasons under his belt and can absolutely be part of a the long-term future if he pans out.
  • Support: The acquisition of Robinson gives him a clean slate with the Jets who will give the corner a fresh start.  While the colors and surroundings in Florham Park may be different, there will be some familiarity.  Robinson played alongside Jets rookie safety Jamal Adams at LSU so the two should work well together.  Not that you would expect him to say any different, but Adams has already cited Robinson’s physical attributes as a reason why he has a chance to succeed as an NFL cornerback.  Whether or not he’s right remains to be seen.

So while Jets fans will have to wait and see if Robinson fulfils his potential, anyone asking why need look no further and wonder no more.  Grabbing a 22-year old cornerback with a great size/speed combo on a team that lacks much established talent at the position makes perfect sense no matter how you slice it.

IcxkIL23y1g

Cool story bro.

The best news about this trade was that Todd Bowles was not aware of it. If this means hes out of the loop and heading for the block bravo.

On the trade itself if this guy can clean up his act when it comes to penalties this might work out in our favor.

When the deal was first reported for a fifth rounder, I was hoping that was only part of the story and that the Jets were also getting the Niner's sixth round pick in the deal. I'd've been pretty pleased with that. I realize the league isn't littered with awesome former 5th round picks, but it still seems a little stiff of a price for a skinny, penalty-prone CB.  

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

If the Jets pulled the trigger on this deal, you’d have to believe that the grade they have on Robinson is greater than any cornerback they think they can snag in the fifth round.

I agree with most of the article, but the part above is kindof like saying "the Jets got good value because the Jets think they got good value."

5 minutes ago, slats said:

When the deal was first reported for a fifth rounder, I was hoping that was only part of the story and that the Jets were also getting the Niner's sixth round pick in the deal. I'd've been pretty pleased with that. I realize the league isn't littered with awesome former 5th round picks, but it still seems a little stiff of a price for a skinny, penalty-prone CB.  

I'm okay with giving up a 5th and not getting a pick back in return. The kid is still young, so, essentially, we just drafted a 4th round-talent in the 5th round; could end up being a steal if he pans out.

What does concern me, though, are the penalties. Aren't we the most penalized team in the league? If we we're a disciplined team who had a head coach with a knack for cleaning up a player's penalties, than I would be much more optimistic about this move. But we're not, and we don't.

I sincerely hope this kid cleans up his game, and can become a legit starter for us for years to come, but I don't have a lot of hope for that with our current coaching staff.

8 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'm okay with giving up a 5th and not getting a pick back in return. The kid is still young, so, essentially, we just drafted a 4th round-talent in the 5th round; could end up being a steal if he pans out.

What does concern me, though, are the penalties. Aren't we the most penalized team in the league? If we we're a disciplined team who had a head coach with a knack for cleaning up a player's penalties, than I would be much more optimistic about this move. But we're not, and we don't.

I sincerely hope this kid cleans up his game, and can become a legit starter for us for years to come, but I don't have a lot of hope for that with our current coaching staff.

Maybe.

But then, when he was a 4th round pick, he had the clean slate and all the optimistic wishes of upside that come along with that. Now the team that’s had him - a team that’s lacking at the position themselves and has the perfect throwaway season excuse to give the kid more on-field playing time - unloads this dirt-cheap player for a 5th round pick. 

Just because he was a very late 4th round pick 2 drafts ago doesn’t mean he’s still got the value of a very high 5th round pick 2 years later. It’s not like he’s the player drafted 2 picks later. Few picks have their original pick trade value 2 years later, and in no small part because you don’t get a full 4 years of cheap salary anymore. There are more examples than even I could type out.

Cool part is we took a corner ourselves earlier in that round, 15 picks earlier. Think anyone would give up a high 5th round pick for Juston Burris right now? I’m not sure we could get a high 7th.

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe.

But then, when he was a 4th round pick he had the clean slate, and all the optimistic wishes of upside that come along with that. Now the team that’s had him - a team that’s lacking at the position themselves and has the perfect throwaway season excuse to give the kid more on-field playing time - unloads this dirt-cheap player for a 5th round pick. 

Just because he was a very late 4th round pick 2 drafts ago doesn’t mean he’s still got the value of a very high 5th round pick 2 years later. It’s not like he’s the player drafted 2 picks later. Cool part is we took a corner ourselves earlier in that round, 15 picks earlier. Think anyone would give up a high 5th round pick for Juston Burris right now? I’m not sure we could get a high 7th.

I don't disagree with anything you said, and I am in no way trying to defend Macc here. I already mentioned the penalties being a big concern for me. But, I'd like to believe that the kid can resurrect himself here, and still have a long career, being only 22 years old. A lot different than, say, trading a 5th rounder for a 30+ year old wide receiver. It's taking a gamble, sure, and it certainly doesn't make perfect sense to me, but it's only a 5th, and he's young. Let's hope for the best.

Unless, of course, you want to make the argument that Macc, under no circumstances, should be trading away next year's GM's draft picks ;)

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Rashard-Robinson.jpg

IcxkIL23y1g

Can someone explain what happened to Juston Burris? I know he had a bad game against Oakland, but so did everyone - we lost 45-20 for christ's sake. Has he been benched for that?

while he still has a lot of learning to do, I think he shows the best promise out of all the young corners. He's certainly better than Skrine. Why doesn't he get some playing time in a lost season so that he can improve?

Why is that such a problem for a toilet Bowles? He seems to do this with every position.

and why would the Jets give up a draft pick for a penalty-prone, PED-addicted delinquent?

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Another problem though is that Mac likes to shop for OL late in the draft so that 5th might well have been our new center or some such.  After all our current guy is rated worst  starter in the league.  

Good point. Our OL is a hot mess at worst, and suspect at best. We really should be focusing on our OL for the next few drafts, and, as I've heard a number of people say before that you don't use draft picks on OL in the first two rounds, because you can find them in later rounds, we probably should be holding onto those mid 3-5 round picks for that.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Some Recent Jets 5th round Draft Picks:

Jetemiah George

Oday Aboushi

John Conner

Jeremy Kerley

Erik Ainge

Jason Pociak

------

im good with this trade

I'm good with this also, 5th rounder has a very low % rate, to even make the roster. A young corner with starting experance is a good gamble in my books.

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, and I am in no way trying to defend Macc here. I already mentioned the penalties being a big concern for me. But, I'd like to believe that the kid can resurrect himself here, and still have a long career, being only 22 years old. A lot different than, say, trading a 5th rounder for a 30+ year old wide receiver. It's taking a gamble, sure, and it certainly doesn't make perfect sense to me, but it's only a 5th, and he's young. Let's hope for the best.

Unless, of course, you want to make the argument that Macc, under no circumstances, should be trading away next year's GM's draft picks ;)

No doubt, and hopefully this one is worth it. In all honesty, while the penalties are staggering, that seems far easier to fix than Burris who mostly just stinks and doesn’t have the height or recovery speed to cause an incomplete pass even when a receiver gets a step on him. Poor coverage skills are harder to fix than too many penalties. Or anyway, that seems so to me.

That is, unless a lot of his penalties were to cover up his getting badly beaten, in which case they weren’t dumb penalties at all but necessary ones he was smart to take.

The number he’s committed is staggering, but a good amount of them were committed on special teams not in coverage, so it’s more likely he just has rocks in his head than he’s saving TDs on the coverage unit (or trying to help make them as a gunner, despite how they always call block in the back, especially when it’s anywhere near the returner).

Seriously the most unbelievable stat wasn’t that he’s committed 10 penalties this year. It’s that his total is only the 2nd-most — as in, someone else has even more lol.

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Great move by Mac. Young kid with a lot of upside who woulda been a 2nd rounder if not for his off the field nonsense. He’s young and will learn.

That isn’t the only reason. The other knock on him is he can’t learn because has manure for brains. Like I just said in the post after yours, I do agree the penalties are far more likely to be fixed than someone who just doesn’t have the phyiscal ability. 

13 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Good point. Our OL is a hot mess at worst, and suspect at best. We really should be focusing on our OL for the next few drafts, and, as I've heard a number of people say before that you don't use draft picks on OL in the first two rounds, because you can find them in later rounds, we probably should be holding onto those mid 3-5 round picks for that.

Yes but don't forget the cornerstone of the Jets AFCCG teams in 2009 and '10 was its offensive line, which started with the drafting of Brick and Mangold in '06

6 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Yes but don't forget the cornerstone of the Jets AFCCG teams in 2009 and '10 was its offensive line, which started with the drafting of Brick and Mangold in '06

Very true. That line really did spoil us fans. Some people wanna look back and say that Sanchez was responsible for taking us to back to back AFCCG appearances, but that line had just as much of a hand in taking us there, too. Personally, I would much rather draft OL in the first two rounds than any position on defense for the next few years (unless it's a true, dominant pass-rushing OLB).

I don't have a problem with the trade itself.  Meaning, giving up a 5th rd. pick for a young CB with a lot of potential on the surface makes sense.  I mean he's the type of talent you're going to find in the 4th and 5th rds anyway.  I'm more disappointed with the fact that no one on the roster was able to step up.  I know these later round picks are a crap shoot but I had high hopes for Juston Burris and he has just looked lost.  What about Derrick Jones who we drafted in the 6th last year?  Or maybe this was a spot McDougle could've filled.  It's just disappointing to have to give up a draft pick because we're so think at CB

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

We'll see if playing with Adams and Maye perhaps makes him play better especially since he played with Adams at LSU. 

I think this is a great point. Both Adams & Maye seem mature beyond their years & will only get better with more experience. Guys like Robinson & Maybe Jones in the future rely on their athleticism to get by early but might not have the wherewithal upstairs ala Antonio Cromarty. 

Safeties are traffic controllers, which allow CBs to do what they have to do, STICK TO YOUR MAN! Who was Robinson playing with in San Fran? Eric Reid, a disappointment who is AVAILABLE to anyone that wants him (another Calvin Pryor). 

Love the idea, get long lanky fast really young guys, pare them with to solid really smart safeties & let these safeties coach on the field. It could work & id love to see Jones play before the seasons over. All of our young guys need snaps & evaluation! 

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Very true. That line really did spoil us fans. Some people wanna look back and say that Sanchez was responsible for taking us to back to back AFCCG appearances, but that line had just as much of a hand in taking us there, too. Personally, I would much rather draft OL in the first two rounds than any position on defense for the next few years (unless it's a true, dominant pass-rushing OLB).

YOUR DAMN STRAIGHT! 

OMG! Thomas Jones had runs where he made 1 cut that went for 70 yards before he was tackled from behind. That line dominated the Pats on the road in 2010 playoff game & sealed the deal opening up a gaping hole that Lamont Jordon scooted to the endzone to seal it.

That 2010 Pats team was f*cking GOOD & BB never loses to the Steelers. 

Archived