An inside look at the Jets' decision to pass on Deshaun Watson

Gas2No99

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

So basically Mac and Bowles liked Watson, just not at 6. But probably would have taken him where Houston did or might have even taken him at 6 if Adams wasn't there?!

Come on ! Nothing on your big board matters until you have a quarterback....

What on earth did Hack and Petty show this regime that convinced Mac we didn’t need a qb

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Yeah, that Trubisky was the prize is the real story here.

It’s a masterpiece of incompetence. These two bumble****s have spent two and a half years making some of the most abominably stupid decisions in the history of this franchise—of this franchise—and yet they keep finding ways to top themselves. It’s remarkable.

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

When Hack was drafted the usual full-time messageboard barnacles and wind-up dentures that repeat the same mindless crap, begged not to rush Hack too soon and destroy him like Sanchez. Let him slow-cook a couple years on the bench and develop properly ...

I was in that camp and still feel that this is the correct approach.  

However when said player is third on the depth chart and he isn’t even being considered as a potential starter before a 38 year old journeyman, than in all honesty, I think that you have a problem.  

Hack at a minimum should be the back up so that he can get meaningful reps in practice, but the Jets can’t do that because Petty is significantly better than Hack right now and everyone knows it.  

The Jets don’t fully know what they are doing. It is evident to me when they bring in a totally different offensive coaching philosophy to have struggling QB to learn yet again!!!!

Mac and Bowles won’t be here long if this continues and that is a fact. 

Just now, dbatesman said:

It’s a masterpiece of incompetence. These two bumble****s have spent two and a half years making some of the most abominably stupid decisions in the history of this franchise—of this franchise—and yet they keep finding ways to top themselves. It’s remarkable.

I think starting the rebuild in year 3 might be the greatest career-extension ploy I’ve seen in my time watching the NFL. And there’s. Have been some doozies over time.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Wait until we draft a CB and sign McCown to an extension

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I think starting the rebuild in year 3 might be the greatest career-extension ploy I’ve seen in my time watching the NFL. And there’s. Have been some doozies over time.

If you totally suck at your job just say “it’s a true rebuild” and stay on for another 2-3 years

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, the Jets didn't draft Carter or Tory Woodbury (UDFA) but they drafted Blake, Boyd and Geno. Race is not the problem, talent level is. 

We even drafted a Hispanic qb and started him.  The Jets are the rainbow coalition 

57 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I would agree with all but one point.  I think a LOT of us on here liked Petty as a prospect.  Guy can sling the ball, and he was successful in college.  Hasn't adapted as well to the pro game, but then again, he hasn't been given much time or much to work with.

Like with Watson, the coaches needed to adapt to Petty.  Gailey's offense could have been better for that, but he imploded.

54 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Coupled with the fact theyve used two high first rounders on "Best player in the draft!" safe selections on positions that dont get you fired. 

This is totally true and is as much a function of the Johnsons' management expectations than anything else.  The team overall completely lacks sophistication.  Mangini and Tannenbaum were sophisticated, just had other issues

49 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

So in other words, our front office lets Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock dictate who they select. Wonderful....

I think this is completely true.  I would be shocked if Macc did not have the Kiper/Mayock boards up in the room, understanding how the press goes crazy when a team deviates from their Boards.  FWIW, the mocks were completely off in 2016.

47 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I would be way more willing to forgive Macc for the Hack pick if he just owned up the mistake and moved on but to pass on other potential QB's because you want to see Hack develop is just crazy. 

This is also completely true, and what gets Macc fired.

42 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The 49ers have made more attempts at answering the long term QB question in one season then the Jets have in about 10. This f'n team.

This is also completely true.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

The 49'ers, drafted on in the 3rd, played him, saw he was trash and traded for Jimmy G.  A 2nd rounder.  Same we spent on Hack.

It was more than we spent on Hack-that will be the 1-3 pick in the second round.  Hack thankfully was the 20th pick in the 2nd round.  Unfortunately there were a bunch of great players picked after Hack. Whitehair would have been the Jets Center for 10 years.  The first and second rounds of the 2016 draft were somewhat inverted, and Mac fell right into the trap.  

2 51 New York Jets Christian Hackenberg  QB Penn State Big Ten  
  2 52 Atlanta Falcons Deion Jones  LB LSU SEC from Houston [R2 - 11]
  2 53 Washington Redskins Su'a Cravens  LB USC Pac-12  
  2 54 Minnesota Vikings Mackensie Alexander  CB Clemson ACC  
  2 55 Cincinnati Bengals Tyler Boyd  WR Pittsburgh ACC  
  2 56 Chicago Bears Cody Whitehair  G Kansas State Big 12 from Seattle [R2 - 12]

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

Ppl act like the jets have a deandre Hopkins and will fuller to throw the ball to. My bet is Watson would not be doing this on the jets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets had Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker under contract and they spent $6M on McCown.  They could have used that money on Terrelle Pryor (underwhelming in Washington) or half of Alshon Jeffery.  Don't act like this team had to go into the season with a bunch UDFAs and stiffs. 

The Jets had Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker under contract and they spent $6M on McCown.  They could have used that money on Terrelle Pryor (underwhelming in Washington) or half of Alshon Jeffery.  Don't act like this team had to go into the season with a bunch UDFAs and stiffs. 

Marshall was washed up, decker also. Pryor is dog sh*t and alshon can't even make an impact with wentz throwing the ball. Try again.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If the Jets thought they would been guaranteed to draft a decent QB in 2017, they could have went out and found players and built a team for that QB.

They should have known that some combination of Watson, Trubisky and Mahomes were available at 6.  They wanted Trubisky, and so did Chicago, so that was somewhat validated.  But they obviously did not think Watson or Mahomes were worth the 6th pick, the 6th pick  being a QB who can start for the Jets right away.  If is possible that given the coaching staff and offense, they were correct, but the problem is a bigger organizational one.

Just now, Ghost420 said:

Marshall was washed up, decker also. Pryor is dog sh*t and alshon can't even make an impact with wentz throwing the ball. Try again.

yeah I'm sure Anderson would hate catching bomb after bomb from Watson. Things would be terrible. 

He may not be doing the same here but if you're good, you're good. We would see the potential. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

What's Philadelphia's record?  Jeffery is their #1 WR. 

I don't have to try again, you do.  This is the same ******* stupid argument made here all the time.  The team sucks, so the GM was correct not to pick player Y because they would not do as well on this sucky team.  The GM is the reason the team sucks.  He doesn't get a pass because they suck.  I don't think Watson would be doing exactly what he does in Houston, but that isn't a reason to pass on him. 

What's Philadelphia's record?  Jeffery is their #1 WR. 
I don't have to try again, you do.  This is the same ******* stupid argument made here all the time.  The team sucks, so the GM was correct not to pick player Y because they would not do as well on this sucky team.  The GM is the reason the team sucks.  He doesn't get a pass because they suck.  I don't think Watson would be doing exactly what he does in Houston, but that isn't a reason to pass on him. 

The tram sucks yet we have 3 wins when everyone thought we would go winless. And yes the eagles are in 1st place legit has almost nothing to do with alshon.

Imagining the scenario where a non-existent team president explains to Maccagnan that 6 is too high for a safety and that taking a shot on another QB might be the right move, and then that non-existent team president turning to Bowles and telling him that they already spent $100 mil on DBs so make it work, ****face.

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

The tram sucks yet we have 3 wins when everyone thought we would go winless. And yes the eagles are in 1st place legit has almost nothing to do with alshon.

Let's try this a different way.  In what universe are there receivers Josh McCown (at $6M no less) is able to complete passes to that Deshaun Watson ($14M over 4) can't? 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagining the scenario where a non-existent team president explains to Maccagnan that 6 is too high for a safety and that taking a shot on another QB might be the right move, and then that non-existent team president turning to Bowles and telling him that they already spent $100 mil on DBs so make it work, ****face.

LOL!!

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's try this a different way.  In what universe are there receivers Josh McCown (at $6M no less) is able to complete passes to that Deshaun Watson ($14M over 4) can't? 

In fairness, there’s a less than zero chance that Bowles would have had to guts to play Watson.

As to be expected there is a lot of energy around this article; let's assume for a moment that the article is accurate (consider the source). There are a couple of things to consider:

1. Watson has looked good so far - this is true, but his team (in a weak division) isn't doing much better than the Jets; also we have seen QB start strong and fall flat later (people are now asking if Carr is overrated).

2. Watson on Houston >>>>>>>>>> Watson on Jets - anyone assuming that Watson is so good he would compensate for the lack of WR experience, running game, and poor OL let alone coaching (heck - he may not even be playing) is just fooling themselves. Houston won the division (9-7) with a handful of crap at QB trading away a #2 to get rid of one. They were clearly thinking they were a QB away from victory - the same is NOT true for the Jets.

3. Apparently the Jets liked Watson, but didn't value him at #6 - well piss on them if you want, but a lot of teams, scouts, and so called experts thought the same thing

4. The article indicates that they thought Trubinsky was worth the #6; this implies that had he been there we would have drafted him regardless of the fact we had Petty and Hack; so, if true - drafting Hack would not prevent Mac from drafting another QB. It also implies that had the Jets traded back a few spots, they may still have drafted Watson; in which case we would either be complaining that Bowles should start him, or be complaining that he was trash

5.All of the talk about not trying to get a QB is not correct. We drafted QBs in back-to-back years; also, the article implies that they are open to drafting a QB in 2018.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Mac, but let's try to put this article in perspective at least.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Watson would be sitting the bench watching and learning from Josh McCown. Probably in street clothes. 

"I saw Watson in camp during the summer and Josh McCown is my starter".  - Todd Bowles, October, 2017.

40 minutes ago, Pac said:

No sense even trying to interject in this circle jerk of despair.

It's worse than I thought it would be when reading the thread title (and I thought the whining would be incredible). 

wow.

You're right pac.  The jets are actually not bad and are on the right track to success.

Archived