Why Can't This Be A Miracle Season?

PCP63

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I think we can make the playoffs. Draft position be damned. Everyone doubted us so greatly. Let's have our young guys step up, and do the unthinkable.

These past few weeks have been the Revenge of the Refs, but let's make the rest of the season the Return of the Je(ts)di .

College QBs are NEVER a guarantee. But making the playoffs when slated to go 0-16 changes the culture. It would be the start of something great, for once.

Our schedule gets harder from here. We had some games we should have won but thinking playoffs is excessively optimistic. Barring injury, both the Bills and Pats are probably in, which means one spot for us in competition with at least the Ravens, Jaguars and maybe the Texans and Broncos. Unlikely.

The team is definitely doing a lot better than expected. Lots of young guys starting to perform at a high level. Some of the vets are starting to earn their keep. We're a lot closer to competing than it appeared at the beginning of the season, which is a huge win. Having a team that is overall on the rise creates a lot more opportunity at QB than just hoping for a tank and take a prospect. With a competitive roster we stand a real chance of attracting a good FA option. We have draft picks to trade down for a QB. We can do both. 

Bowles' coaching still needs a lot of work but Morton is a huge upgrade at OC which is at least heading in the right direction. Hopefully with more experience and help from good staff like Morton he will find the confidence to trust more in the younger players and manage the clock better.

Had we not blown that lead against Miami I think we'd be in great shape but now we have very little room to screw up.  we'd basically have to lose 2 or less games the rest of the way.  I don't see that happening, that Miami game really killed us. we had it, we'd be 5-4 and right there in the race.

Still a tough road but not as formidable as alot of us thought at the beginning of the year

@ Tampa Bay: Winston is struggling

Carolina: Panthers are struggling

Chiefs: Loss

@ Denver: Again Broncos not playing well

@Saints: Very tough

Chargers: Not that good

Pats: Whatever

That Dolphins collapse is going too keep us out... But I doubt we'd make it anyway.

We basically need to go 6-1 (if we're assumbing 10-6 gets us in) the rest of the way, with the Panthers and Chiefs at home and games @ the Broncos, Saints, and Pats. Stranger things have happened but this feels more like a "8-8 is the goal" type season at this point.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That Dolphins collapse is going too keep us out... But I doubt we'd make it anyway.

We basically need to go 6-1 (if we're assumbing 10-6 gets us in) the rest of the way, with the Panthers and Chiefs at home and games @ the Broncos, Saints, and Pats. Stranger things have happened but this feels more like a "8-8 is the goal" type season at this point.

The Dolphins and Falcons losses back to back are what is probably going to haunt us this year. The Pats loss, for as bad as it was, isn't a game we can look at and say we definitely should have won. But I feel like we can for Atlanta and Miami.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Dolphins and Falcons losses back to back are what is probably going to haunt us this year. The Pats loss, for as bad as it was, isn't a game we can look at and say we definitely should have won. But I feel like we can for Atlanta and Miami.

Jets had a chance in all three but the Miami game was a total choke/collapse. 14 point lead in the fourth quarter? Against a backup QB? Against a team you essentially shut out earlier in the season? Should be an absolute given.

The Falcons game was tough but it feels like a lot of our miscues (missed field goals, Kerleys' fumble) were weather related, as were some of our big plays (Ryan fumbling the snap so many times.) We should have won but it was a wonky game. Harder to be truly upset about that one.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Jets had a chance in all three but the Miami game was a total choke/collapse. 14 point lead in the fourth quarter? Against a backup QB? Against a team you essentially shut out earlier in the season? Should be an absolute given.

The Falcons game was tough but it feels like a lot of our miscues (missed field goals, Kerleys' fumble) were weather related, as were some of our big plays (Ryan fumbling the snap so many times.) We should have won but it was a wonky game. Harder to be truly upset about that one.

Yes the one game that they should have won of the 3 was the Miami game. The Jets should be 5-4 at this point. Now would that have been enough

11 hours ago, Cornfed said:

You gotta keep Bowles, though, right? He's really gotten more out of this roster than could have been reasonably expected. Love it!

That's his job. He's proving the roster was good enough all along, he was underachieving.

That said, Jets beat four crappy teams, have a losing record, and are dead last in the AFCE.

I think a lot of you are missing the key word .... MIRACLE

They do happen. All the time

There is a mathematical possibility for a miracle in virtually anything, just rarely one you would bet on

Kudos to the OP for his attitude because miracles come significantly more frequently to those who recognize them. Just ask Frank Edwin McGraw when you go up to the next level. 

As Andy Dufresne said, "Get busy living or get busy dying"

Archived