Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

The Jets physically manhandled BUF in the trenches on both sides of the ball
as they won their fourth game of the season.  Let's take a look:

- The OLine for the first time since JAX opened holes in the running game.
Solid pass protection made the offense "two handed" as they pushed BUF
around all game.  John Morton dusted off the "Jumbo" package by deploying
a six man line on occasion (Dakota Dozier) which led to 200 yards on the
ground.

- After complaining last week about not running the ball enough, Matt Forte
had a solid game gliding through holes and scoring his first TD's of the
season.  Bilal Powell was explosive in his carries as he broke big runs.

- A rare poor game by Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  As he had a penalty that
nullified a long Powell run, an offensive pass interference that nullified
a TD and fumbled an easy onside kick.

- Other than the TD pass to Robby Anderson, Josh McCown didn't have any "wow"
plays in the passing game.  In fact he was lucky BUF dropped an easy INT
early which could've been a game changing play.  But credit to him for finally
leading the team to points in the second half of a game.

- Tremendous effort by the defense as they generated seven sacks and three
turnovers.  Credit to the front seven as Jordan Jenkins, Leonard Williams,
Muhammad Wilkerson, Steve McLendon, Kony Ealy and Mike Pennel bottled up
McCoy all day.  

- A total 180 by the ILB's after a terrible opening day performance against BUF
they dominated.  Darron Lee and Demario Davis combined for 16 tackles, 2 sacks
and 4 TFL's.  They were all over the field and have shown growth as the season
has gone along.

- Lachlan Edwards deserves to be recognized for the excellent season he's had.
Consistent and "field flipping" punts all year long.

- What a fake game by Taylor as he generated meaningless stats when the game was
already over.  When the game was on the line he did absolutely nothing leading
BUF to seven points.  Be careful to any team looking to sign him to a long term
contract, he's not what his stats say he is. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-defense-sacks-1.14736788

How did Josh McCown find Robby Anderson for that touchdown?

The Jets went ahead 17-7 on a 25-yard touchdown pass from McCown to Anderson with 9:50 to play in the third quarter. McCown noticed Anderson was getting one-on-one coverage, with no deep help, and signaled that a deep pass was coming. Anderson ran a fade route, catching the ball while beating rookie corner Tre-Davious White in the end zone.

“We had a certain look that we wanted and we had a certain play going,” McCown said. “It’s a lot of pressure on coordinators to try to call the perfect play every time. The beautiful thing for them is that they gave us freedom at the line, that, when you see something, take advantage of it. We had one-on-one across the board and sooner than later, people are going to learn when you press Robby, he wins. He’s done it consistently week-in and week-out, and so we’re able to take advantage of that look and get him the ball.”

1 hour ago, KRL said:

around all game.  John Morton dusted off the "Jumbo" package by deploying a six man line on occasion (Dakota Dozier) which led to 200 yards on the ground.

For the last few weeks I've wanted to scream at Morton:  If it ain't broke then don't fix it.  

I love this jumbo package and can't for the life of me understand why he went away from it in our recent 3 losses.  

Lee  had his best game as a pro, really seemed to be playing faster then everyone else.

It seems that whenever we lose Powell, and this goes all the way back to the season ending loss at Buffalo in 2015, that the offense sputters.  The guy simply gets yardage and makes things happen.

I also firmly believe that Robby Anderson has the ability to be a top WR in the league.  He is simply to fast for teams to press and is tall enough to catch slants if hes given space.  Hopefully he improves his route running (and maturity) again this offseason and improved QB play in 2018 will allow him to take the next step.

•  I think Bowles greatest accomplishment this season was John Morton.  He is not perfect, but he is thinking and gameplanning.  Losing him would be the biggest reason to me not to fire Bowles.
  • This may make the Watson non-pick make more sense.  Don't know whether he thought Watson could run his offense.  From what I recall, O'Brien did not want Watson, but he obviously made it work.  Maybe the Jets make a deal with the Texans where the cut Hack and O'Brien picks him up and sends a box of donuts later.
  • I also think Bowles is a good defensive coach, but I think with him and Kacy its like a parent teaching a kid to drive a car.  The parent gives the kid the keys, the kid hits a trash can, and the parent takes the keys back.  Bowles was switched on for this game.
  • I have not checked what his contract was next year, but Tomlinson is a football player.  He and ASJ are a very respectable TE combo.  The Leggett pick astounds me which gets to...
  • Notwithstanding that Maye is a good safety and Adams basically plays a rover like we had a HS, those 3,4 and 5 round picks are not doing it for me, particularly leaving Elflein on the board. 
  • The RBs really look shot out of cannon last night.  Should be Forte's last year, but add a draft pick to the other 2 and it looks good.
  • In the grand scheme of things, McCown has not been a bad QB last year.  He is very mobile, gets out of trouble, and makes plays.  I could live with him, a draft pick and the best of Petty/Hack next year.  The same deal would be ok-McCown is on the way to making 10mm this year with his starting time bonus.  
  • Lee is playing much better.  Good for him and the Jets.  That is a player I would think long and hard about giving a second contract to.
  • Mo has finally picked it up too.  That is a player that I would think long and hard about not cutting this offseason, unless he redid his deal.  Would rather have SR on incentives.
  • Brian Heimerdinger.  People have said good things about him.  Around football all his life.  He is the guy who has been finding this castaways on the trash pile.  He will be interviewed for GM jobs this year.  We lose him, Mac looks even worse.  Which gets me to....
  • But the Jets biggest problem is the construction of its draft picks.  I still think the single best thing this team can do would be to hire someone to help Mac/be his boss.  Even for a year or 2.  This off season's draft picks and cap money need a responsible steward.
  • Bowles is 1/2 the way to keeping his job.  The rest of the schedule looks brutal, but let's hope we look respectable and play hard in all 8, but win as few as possible.

56 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Great game - enjoyed the win but...

The Jets lost the 4th quarter again 10-14 - coaching or conditioning?

they have to get that figured out

I dont think it is realistic to expect a team to "win" the 4th quarter when they have blown out the other team for 3 quarters.  the 4th quarter game plan was to chew up clock on O and not give anything big on D.  They did that well imo.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

- What a fake game by Taylor as he generated meaningless stats when the game was

What's funny is, when I apply this same logic to Kirk Cousins(who I have had under the microscope for the past two years), people get all up in arms.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

I dont think it is realistic to expect a team to "win" the 4th quarter when they have blown out the other team for 3 quarters.  the 4th quarter game plan was to chew up clock on O and not give anything big on D.  They did that well imo.

I agree.  Can't be too upset about being outscored in the 4th quarter yesterday.  After we got the first 10 points in the 4th to go up 34-7, the last two TDs were a bit frustrating to watch, but didn't really matter much.

I've said it all season, and it wasn't a popular opinion earlier. The coaching has been top notch, from beginning to end.  A few clock management issues,  but other than that its been right on the ball.  The overall team talent is amongst the worst in the NFL, but the effort level is top tier, the playcalling has been excellent and the in season adjustements have been great (our D is finally showing it's true talent levels).  You can't ask more from the coaching that what's being displayed.

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Great game - enjoyed the win but...

The Jets lost the 4th quarter again 10-14 - coaching or conditioning?

they have to get that figured out

i didn't like they way they almost let buffalo back in.  sure the asj muff of the onside didn't help but even there the defense was just not playing the same way they had earlier.

6 hours ago, KRL said:

The Jets physically manhandled BUF in the trenches on both sides of the ball
as they won their fourth game of the season.  Let's take a look:

around all game.  John Morton dusted off the "Jumbo" package by deploying
a six man line on occasion (Dakota Dozier) which led to 200 yards on the
ground.

- After complaining last week about not running the ball enough, Matt Forte
had a solid game gliding through holes and scoring his first TD's of the
season.  Bilal Powell was explosive in his carries as he broke big runs.

- A rare poor game by Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  As he had a penalty that
nullified a long Powell run, an offensive pass interference that nullified
a TD
and fumbled an easy onside kick.

- Other than the TD pass to Robby Anderson, Josh McCown didn't have any "wow"
plays in the passing game.  In fact he was lucky BUF dropped an easy INT
early which could've been a game changing play.  But credit to him for finally
leading the team to points in the second half of a game.

- Tremendous effort by the defense as they generated seven sacks and three
turnovers.  Credit to the front seven as Jordan Jenkins, Leonard Williams,
Muhammad Wilkerson, Steve McLendon, Kony Ealy and Mike Pennel bottled up
McCoy all day.  

- A total 180 by the ILB's after a terrible opening day performance against BUF
they dominated.  Darron Lee and Demario Davis combined for 16 tackles, 2 sacks
and 4 TFL's.  They were all over the field and have shown growth as the season
has gone along.

- Lachlan Edwards deserves to be recognized for the excellent season he's had.
Consistent and "field flipping" punts all year long.

Agreed with everything, but that ASJ offensive PI was not a good call. He did absolutely nothing to warrant a penalty. It's his second TD of the year that he lost on garbage Refs. 

I do think we are starting to see the emergence of Darron Lee. He's put together 3 very impressive games in a row and is shedding the bust label that some people were putting on him way to early.

Robby Anderson is showing that he's a quality receiver who can start. I didn't think he was much of anything but I was wrong. He can play. Great hands, great speed. He's a deep threat who actually gets open and catches the ball.

If there's one good thing coming out of this oddball season - we're getting opportunities to see who wants it. Who wants to be a part of creating new culture, new expectations and new direction... which is exactly what we should be getting out of this season. 

We're seeing who's elevating the team, and who's not. 

Archived